5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, underrated BBC costume drama
Published on 30 Mar 2012 by Henry Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Series 2 was better than I thought but not as good as one.
It suffered from unfair comparison to another Brit drama out at the time, Downton Abbey, and the major problem was just that it wasn't good enough to stand on its own. The acting and the dialogue was a little too weak, and somehow none of the characters made you care about them.
Published 17 months ago by Valinorean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, underrated BBC costume drama, 30 Mar 2012
Henry Turner (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
It's a shame that Upstairs Downstairs has been eclipsed by Downton Abbey - I would urge any Downton-lovers who didn't return for the latest instalment of Upstairs to give it a go on DVD: you are missing something rather marvellous. Series one of Downton was magnificent; but series two was under-powered and sometimes threatened to be a camp travesty of itself. Upstairs, on the other hand, has continued to improve and develop in wonderful and surprising ways as the series progressed.

The worlds of almost every character in Upstairs are beautifully drawn and complex, unlike those in Downton that too often are of the single note variety (Maggie Smith is arch - there is nothing left for her to do than raise an ironic eyebrow). In particular, Lady Persie (Claire Foy) and Mr Pritchard (Adrian Scarborough) are endlessly fascinating and never as straightforward as they appear on the surface. You meet a character such as archaeologist Dr Motteshead (Alex Kingston) and at first she seems every bit the stereotype of the intellectual 1930s lesbian; but then, as the series evolves, expectations are confounded through great writing and an excellent performance.

Upstairs handles its period detail and sense of time perfectly with none (well I didn't spot them) of the anachronisms that irked me so much in Downton. Moreover, it is really engaged with the history taking place as the drama unfolds - I can think of no other drama that has dealt so well with the mindset of Britain on the eve of war. Scenes such as the household watching the streetlights of London being turned off for the final time are deeply moving. Again, I can also think of no other TV costume drama that has been more beautifully designed, lit and shot. This is far more noticeable in series 2.

For me there were 2 downers to Upstairs: the sometimes maddeningly short scenes and the miscasting of Ed Stoppard - a charisma-free zone. But these are minor niggles for a series that has proved so engaging and full of so many rewards.

3.0 out of 5 stars Series 2 was better than I thought but not as good as one., 5 Feb 2013
Valinorean "fraserpatty" (Indianapolis, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 5 Feb 2013
I really loved the first series and had to wait for the second one which never appeared on the french amazon. After a while I decided to buy it directly on the this amazon.uk and I was not disappointed. I really love it, Both series are short so the scenario is well constructed and all the episodes are equally catchy. It's a shame there is no third series to come. Hope this will help you for your purchase and I apologize if my English is not good(I understand it better than I speak it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Downstairs, 26 April 2012
C. Meigh (UK) - See all my reviews
This is such a lovely series depicting life in a house which is very different to life at Downton Abbey. The characters are superb and the story lines are excellent. The final episode is one of the best season finale's I have ever seen; had me totally gripped!!!!! I am sooooooooooooo disappointed and cross that the BBC have decided not to produce a third series and show us how the house copes with WW2. This is such a mistake!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Series, 20 Jun 2014
I do not know yet if I like this series as much as I liked the old series of Upstairs and Downstairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 17 May 2013
Catherine Thurner (Salzburg) - See all my reviews
I lobend it far more than the original One. Couldnt stop watching! Glad, there was a Second Part. Hope for a third!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable DVD, 14 May 2013
Although I'd seen the series it was nice to enjoy them again. Sorry the series is not to be continued.

5.0 out of 5 stars class, 18 Mar 2013
as usual the bbc have done a great version of a great classic loved it from start to finish. bril

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than series 1!, 17 Feb 2013
A good series that is gripping and holds the viewers interest. The first series was a little slow to start but this was a vast improvement. It using a real shame that there will be no more :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars Upstairs Dowstairs, 15 Feb 2013
I enjoyed this series but feel that there could have been a better ending to it. Thought there would be a series 3

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›