5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas, here we come!
I cannot say enough how impressed I am with this headset! It is comfortable to wear and incorporates a removable microphone boom, so it can also be used as a conventional set of headphones.

Published 21 months ago by

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm having weird issues with it
I bought it based on the solid reviews it received. I was very happy with my purchase at first, but after a week, I began having some weird problems with it. I haven't seen many people complaining about these on the internet (though there were a few) so maybe some people just got unlucky, but here are the problems:
* It's really difficult to switch it on. There's a...
Published 16 months ago by grseko

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas, here we come!, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage Wireless Gaming Headset with SBX (PC / MAC) (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The design features a RF transmitter, so the signal doesn't cut out if you move around or leave the room like bluetooth does. Unfortunately, this means that one of your USB slots is occupied, two if you are also charging them with the impressively sturdy microUSB cable provided. And, of course, with this attached, you don't have to wait for them to charge before using them. There is no jack plug provided, though, so you can't use them with your media player.

There is a software program that you need to download to get full use out of these. This controls the equalizer, low frequency effects and voice distortion effects. You can even control the colours on the earpieces, a gimmick that will appeal to gamers. You have a full range of colours, pulsations, colour changers, etc. to play with! There are also adjustments to the audio quality and clarity, plus bass boost and dynamic range compression, as well as surround sound simulation. On the microphone side, there are a whole range of voice changers to play with. You can detach the microphone if you wish, it plugs into a jack socket. This makes the headphones useful for movie watching and music listening.

I was impressed from the start with the sound quality these produced, on both music and film. In the latter, there was a real punch to LFEs, the sort that knocks you out of your seat in the cinema. The catapult and battering ram scenes in Lord of the Rings were particularly exciting. Plus, there was no hiss!

I decided to test the low frequency response with a suite of test tones going down to 10Hz. This was a revelation! The 10Hz tone was clearly audible, even with bass boost off, and so it went on through the entire range! That was at a normal listening setting, too. Stunning!

I can see why these have been released just before Xmas. They will make a whole lot of people happy when they arrive in the Xmas stocking. They are well made, comfortable, versatile and highly recommended by this very impressed reviewer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative's best headset yet..., 22 Oct 2012
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Set-up is really easy, though the instructions that come with the headset aren't the most descriptive ever. But this makes them easy to follow and I didn't encounter any problems with installation anyway, so no bother there.

***

The other headsets I've used are Creative's Soundblaster Omega and Tactic3D Wrath headsets and a secondhand pass-me-down, so maybe I'm not the best judge of sound quality, but I think it's superb; not tinny, distorted or 'bumpy' when the sound is turned up. After comparing the Creative Soundblaster Omega headset and Tactic3D Wrath headset to this edition, I think that this cheaper edition actually has the superior sound quality. You can detach the microphone so you can relax and listen to music or films on the PC if you wish, making the headset multipurpose and justifying the price.

The headset is very comfortable to wear - you can almost forget that you are actually wearing them and the range is quite good too. Not as good as the range with the Omega headset, but I can wander to the kitchen to grab a drink, or go to the phone with no problems.

***

The headset does lose a star for the slow charge time. This really isn't a major problem or me, but I'm thinking of those of you who will be buying the headset as a gift for someone younger - they may be bouncing off the furniture as they wait to be able to use it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm having weird issues with it, 19 Mar 2013
grseko (United Kingdom, Glasgow) - See all my reviews
* It's really difficult to switch it on. There's a lot of holding down the button, briefly clicking, plugging it in and out... sometimes it works right away, sometimes it takes me a few minutes to get it working. Though it works perfectly when it's plugged in and charging.
* Most of the times it charges to around 25% and doesn't continue charging. It just stays there. A lot of times I left it overnight and while I was at uni (15 hours of charging in total) and I came back to a 30% charge. It's infuriating. It's essentially a wired headset with a very temporary wireless option
* If I move around too much (and I don't even mean around the room - just in my seat) it will often desync for half a second or so. You may think it's nothing, but when it syncs back, it gives off a very distinct chime. It happens all too often.

If you're like most and don't get these problems, remember 3 things:
* Download the headset software from the Creative website. It lets you control things like Mic Volume, Master Volume, Colour and Pulsing of the glowing case, create profiles, gives you access to options like Dialog Plus and Smart Volume etc.
* Let it fully charge before you switch it on and use it.
* If for some reason, the headset and the USB receiver aren't factory synced, hold down the receiver button until it starts flashing rapidly, switch on your headset and hold down the microphone mute button. It should start flashing rapidly as well, quickly catch signal and your headset case should then start glowing on the sides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product! Best PC headphones I've used yet., 28 Jan 2013
O. Adesina "Deshmon" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great product! Best PC headphones I've used yet. Very comfortable, easy to set up and use, great battery life. Very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and Smooth, 2 Feb 2013
Headset had superb sound quality, sounds are easily distinguishable and the bass had an oomph to it. Microphone was a little odd, but it still works well perfectly well for casual Skype calls.

Headset felt a little too tight and the steel core made it difficult to actually change the band length, however it may loosen over time, of that I am unsure.

Overall, Brilliant sound, fair comfort, crappy microphone and a very sweet and long battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. Worked instantly out of the box without ..., 24 July 2014
I love it. Worked instantly out of the box without driver installation on Win7 64bit .
I was skeptic at first because quite some negative reviews are on amazon, which pointed out 3 major problems:
1. Long charging time
2. Uncompfortable wearing (to heavy/pain after long periods)
3. Bad microphone
All three points were not true or an issue in my case:
1. Charging directly on a USB port or Cellphone charger avoids long charging time due to insufficient power capability of USB hubs
2. For me it is quite compfortable to wear for hours. Only with the heat momentarily it is sweaty but that will be similar with most headsets. If you have really huge ears you might not fit them into the inside of the headphones completely. MY ears are quite big and the just barely fit.
3. Microphone is quite good. I am no gamer however and use it for skype only but my friends were all happy that the sound quality of my mic improved a great deal from my previous mic.(Old and worn out, wired budget Logitech headset)
The sound quality is really good and I can listen to music in my whole flat through walls and everything. Only in the kittchen between fridge and cooker hood the reception gets bad which is to be expected because of the shielding feature of the metal. Battery life is great. I charge it for one or two hours for a full charge from empty about once a week so the 10 hours of battery true in my case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 27 May 2014
Mr. S. D. Elvy (UK) - See all my reviews
Easy to connect and set up. Good set of utilities to make the most of features. Great sound for games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweaty ears, 5 April 2014
Mr Yeltsin (CHESTER, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After making the move to PC gaming, I decided I'd better get one of these stoopid looking "proper" headsets, so plumped for this after finding out a bit about it. I can confirm you'll look stupid wearing it, but it is a very good headset. The sound is crisp and bass is good, while the headband and ear cups keep it comfortable. You do get a bit of sweaty ear, but as a gamer, personal hygeine is already a top priority for you, so I don't need to warn you about the dangers of fungal infections.

The removable mic is a great idea, and I hope it doesn't come loose over time as losing the ability to question the parentage of your opponent and advise him of his mother's poor sexual prowess at an inoportune moment could prove embarrassing. The dongle is a bit big, and the annoying pulsing bright white light is annoying. Especially when it pulses. The ability to twist the 'phones 90 degrees to ease storage is a great idea, but I fail to see the point of the LED lights in the two cans. If you're wearing it you won't see 'em, and no-one else will think they're cool, mainly because you'll look so bedazzlingly stupid just wearing them. Turn them off and save your battery life, looking a little less stupid into the bargain.

Speaking of power, the 'phones recharge via a micro-USB cable, a brightr spanking red one of which is included in the package. You'll not lose that one in the cable spaghetti too easily. The on/off button pulses white during charging and goes off when the headset is fully charged. I'd have preferred a red charge light and green light for full, but I'm a stickler for conventions that make sense like that. Where would we be if traffic lights just went off when you could go? The emergency room... that's where!

Voice quality is good, sound is good, and battery life seems good too. Avoid looking in the mirror whilst wearing them and you'll be ok. Whatever you do, don't catch sight of yourself wearing them while the LEDs are pulsing though. Remember Candyman?

UPDATE: I made the mistake of flashing the firmware to the latest version by downloading Creative's two little updates. Following the instructions, I did one, then the other, and afterward I was left with a non-functioning pair of headphones. All that was visible was the weak glow from the stupid lights on each can. I went on their forums and found a lot of people suffering from the same malady, with the remedy being as follows:

* Leave the headphones unplugged to discharge (took over 24 hours for mine)
* Connect them to a non-PC charger for 5 minutes - any Micro USB will do
* Connect them via the cable to your PC and when they are detected, reflash the firmware using the tool

That seems to work, but it's a bit of a pest, and Creative don't seem to have any meaningful comment on the subject - there are LOTS of threads out there too, so you'd think they'd do something about it. I've always found Creative hardware to be good, but their software less so.

UPDATE for useage: The sound quality is good, they hook up every time (since the firmware fix above), and I've not really suffered from sweaty ears again. They do block a lot of background noise though, so don't be surprised if you get burned to a crisp if there's a fire in the house while you're gaming.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, but...., 17 Feb 2014
I like the headphones, around my ears they are actually very comfortable, but across the top of my head after a short time they hurt. Maybe I just have a soft head -no comments please!
I very much like not being tied to the computer even when want to get up to make a cuppa etc although having said that, of course any wireless headset would do that. The range on these is around 8m, line of sight, before dropouts start.
The microphone wasn't as good quality as I might have hoped, I'm using it for dictation on Mac OS X, and it's not brilliant-although perfectly adequate for skype etc.
The microphone sponge also keeps falling off, pretty soon I know I'm going to lose it in a cup of tea, and that will be that.
Had I tried these on for any period of time before buying I would not have purchased them. As it is I'm going to try to alter -pack out- the sponge on top my head, to make it a bit more wearable. At least for longer than 30 minutes at a time without having to keep moving the headset. Also the fact that I'm now in a different country from the UK where I bought them from makes returning them a little bit problematic. If I had the opportunity to return I probably would.
But, for you hard-headed, no-sponge using wearers, they are ideal. I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Product, Was skeptical but happy that I went for it!, 21 Jan 2014
Alex Gibbs (Wickhampton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm an IT Technician which made me quite skeptical about purchasing a 60 wireless headset as I've had some 180 headsets before which just weren't up to scratch. Well I was blown away to the fact that these work perfectly and it's simply plugin and go (except for the customization which I'll come to later).

The material that these are made with is very good and sturdy, I can't imagine that it's going to break very easily if you drop it a few feet. A lot of people also complained that these ache your head after long use, I don't agree with this, it just takes some time to wear it in. I had a heavy wired headset before this which really used to ache my head in the first few weeks when I purchased them, but it begins to go away once you get used to it.

If the weight does start to hurt your head and ache your neck, rest them on your temples as that part of your skull is very tough and it won't hurt which will rest the back of your head until you're used to the pressure.

Now, the Wireless part of this product is fantastic, I actually managed to walk 30ft away from my computer and was still able to hear the sound, although it did start to cut out after that. It's nice to sit on your toilet and still hear your music :)

Charging! I see people on here stating that the charge isn't very good on this product, well let me help you with this. Charging from the normal USB 2.0 ports on your computer will charge the headset to max, however the electrons are weak and it will lose charge very fast and will take a long time to charge. However if you have the RED coloured USB 3.0 charge ports it will definitely work a lot better as they're designed for charging USB equipment.

Or you can do what I did for charging and that is buy a wall socket USB charger, like what you use with iPhones. Not only does this charge the product, but it will charge it to it's max capacity within 1 hour and will last 16+ hours as I have experienced so do give it ago, they only cost 2-5; http://www.amazon.co.uk/AROUND%C2%AEUK-Premium-Charger-Quality-Adapter/dp/B00F8IJMZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390326567&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+wall+charger

Customization of the LED's. Yes the lights are customization, however the software doesn't come with the Headset and the links within it's documentation are all out of date. If you're using Windows 7 (especially 64bit) you'll have a hard time finding the software for this, but have no fear, although it took me 2 days I finally found it after endlessly searching the very badly designed website.

I'll try and find the link for it again and post it incase anyone else has the same issue, but don't give up hope, it does exist :)

Overall Pros
* Great Product
* Cheap
* Wireless is flawless at a maximum of 30ft
* Charge last's long, as long as you follow my advice
* Sturdy Build
* Looks Awesome, especially once you customize the colours from the default Red to Blue ;)

Cons :(
* Lack of Windows 7 / Windows 8 Drivers/Support
* Doesn't give me free money or next weeks winning lottery numbers :'(

Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a good, reliable wireless headset.