on 23 September 2012
I had read 'Breaking Away' by this author and loved every minute of reading. As a result i downloaded Dividing Line which i wouldnt normally read as gang warfare and bloody violence is not my type of read far removed infact. The first couple of chapters were good but didnt convince me that i was going to continue reading as i prefer softer stories with mystery, drama, romance but not violence. However i kept reading and found that i coudln't put it down. The main character Rachel's evolvement into a tough mobsters wife was infact surprisingly fascinating, the constant twists and turns in the story line and characters kept me hooked. There was a love story but not the main element of this book. I have never read this type of book before and dont tend to enjoy watching films along these lines, however this pulled me in and had me addicted. This author has taken me into territory outside my comfort zone which im glad to say has widened my reading interests and will certainly download her other books.
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Dividing Line (Dividing Line Book #1)
Heather Atkinson

Contains strong language, sex and violence.

first time i have read one of heather's books fantastic story line I just couldn't put it down, i had to keep reading a few more pages at every opportunity.
I love it when I find an author who's books I enjoy but have not read them all yet, as it means i get a good few weeks out of reading them all.
The characters were interesting and at different points I found myself loving and hating the main characters, which is always a good sign and the story was action packed. Without giving away the plot, the twists and there is plenty of them lull you into thinking that the ending will be different to how it was. A few times I kept thinking I know where this is going. But each time I was Wrong.
Rachel falls for a Danny who is part of the Maguire family, even though she is from the area run by the Law family.
This is where the trouble starts and to be honest it never stops. I had never heard of Heather Atkinson, but a few of my reading friends had kept mentioning how good her books were so i thought i would give them a go, I am so glad I did.
An absolute must if you like Martina Cole style books.

Book description..
When Rachel marries Danny Maguire, younger son of the most powerful criminal family in Manchester she thinks she can cope with his way of life. After all, he's the legitimate face of the family, isn't he?

However, when war breaks out between the Maguires and their deadly rivals, the Law family, Rachel is dragged into the criminal underworld and she must turn her back on her old way of life and embrace this new, dangerous one if she is to survive.

The Maguires also find themselves the target of The Coalition, a shadowy group made up of the city's premiere citizens who are tired of the Maguires' rule and will stop at nothing to see them fall. The Coalition's interference stirs up suspicion and paranoia within the family and Rachel is no longer sure who she can trust. When sides are taken, she finds herself facing off against those closest to her and who are also the most formidable criminals in the city.

As the war increases in ferocity, Rachel discovers another woman inside herself, a strong, ruthless one who will stop at nothing to root out the traitors in the family's ranks and protect those she loves.
on 27 February 2013
This book started off a bit he said, she said, in my opinion and I'm not entirely sure at which point this stopped and the story became impossible to put down. Amazing twists and turns throughout this completely gripping storyline. I found myself loving and hating the main characters at different parts of the book, which is always a sign of a good book. The last time I read such a compelling story was, funnily enough, when I read this authors Breaking Away series. I absolutely loved those stories and was definitely not disappointed with this one. Fantastic writing!
on 21 April 2013
I loved this authors breaking away series - was completely hooked on the trilogy, so I didn't hesitate to download Dividing Lines. I must admit, even though her books had me hooked, I didn't read it straight way as this story was about an area that doesn't actually interest me - gang wars. However a friend of mine had started it and said they couldn't stop reading so I thought I was time to start, and boy I am glad I did!!!!

The book is set in Manchester and focuses on two rival gangs the Maguires and Laws. Rachel falls for a Danny who is part of the Maguire family, even though she is from the area run by the Law family - and this is where the trouble starts. The thing I found very strange was how much I actually liked the characters in this, even thought they all did very bad things. Heathers way of writing draws you into their lives, and I felt that they were good people, when in reality they are we're not. As with Heathers other books, be prepared for twist, turns, jaw dropping moments to keep you on your toes until the very end.

This book was so good, I went straight on to Dividing Loyalties which left me just as gripped, couldn't put it down. 3 days and both books finished!
on 6 March 2014
This is a really good book, their is so much twist and turns from about half way through the book to the end, it was really good read, the way Heather Atkinson writes is very clever
Can't wait to start book number 2
Make a cup of tea then I will start
Thanks heather for a really good read, where I can't sleep much your books make the time go a lot faster thanks.
on 25 February 2014
I was looking for a book to read on a train journey and Heather Atkinson appeared for 77p. This was a fabulous read and well written, it has everything from crime to love and I think who ever reads this would enjoy just as much as I did.
on 27 October 2014
Ok, so I thought, 'it's probably going to be rubbish'! How wrong I was. The narrative is realistic and punchy and drives the story forward effortlessly. There have been no points when I was 'thrown out' of the story line by bad writing or over use of similies. The characters are well-formed and, however brutish, you have genuine emotional investment in them. Far removed from my usual kindle fare, but loving it.
The storyline can be a bit far fetched but then it is fiction. There are some editorial errors that throw the reader requiring rereading to make sense. Overall it is a good read and I would consider this author again as she has good promise with the right support she will make it
on 29 December 2012
I am really beginning to love this author, her books are getting better with each one I read.

The Danny and Rachel story has so many twists and turns you really would think you couldn't keep up, however it is so well written that whichever way it twists, it takes the reader with it at lightening pace and then back again.

As I was getting towards the last few paragraphs I had to keep reading to the end and I have to admit that right until the last minute I was gripped with what would happen next.

I also hadn't picked up the clues on the way through the book to suss out the final culprit.

If you don't read another book, read this one because it's well worth it.

I hope 2013 is going to be the year for Heather Atkinson if she continues in the vein.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2013
Completely loved this. The characters were interesting and the story was action packed. Without giving away the plot, the twists and turns lull you into thinking that the ending will be different to how it was. This author is simply AWESOME!