on 30 December 2013
This story is a prequel to the Dirk and Steele novels, a series I love.
Lucy's brothers and father have no use for a woman who reminds them of the woman who left them. So they send Lucy away to a small town when they hear that a woman is after a girl for hire. They don't even know if she'll even hire her!
On the journey there she sees a man with distant eyes. It turns out his name is Henry and everyone think's he's gone crazy since the death of his wife. Lucy is taken to the house where she may work, but once there a woman appears and begs for her help.
Miss Lindsay, her brother Henry and Barnabus know who it is and know that Lucy can find a way to free the woman trapped in the forest.
I would have loved for this story to have been longer so we could get a little more character development. We only know very little about her, the owners and even less about Barnabus even though his story sounded very interesting, what little was told.
One thing it did do Is make me have more questions about Rictor, even though he is not in the book a person who raised a lot of questions about his past is.
The story ends quickly but did have me smiling when I found out who her son was and who he would be some day!
on 1 July 2013
This is the tale that explains (to some extent) where it all started. It's a fairly short story, and I didn't feel it was developed as well as it could have been, I think there was more to be said about many of the characters and the ending seemed a little abrupt.

However, it did answer some of the questions about the origins of the Dirk & Steele "Agency" so if you're a fan, you'll want to read it. And really, it's only pennies folks, you won't regret it.
on 5 November 2015
I loved the characters and the introduction to the series