Format: DVD|Change

on 12 April 2013
What a fantastic little family film, full of surprises. The little boy who plays Eli is a real charming actor. One surprise and the reason I bought the film was the return of Hayley Mills in film. She only has a small part, but adds that element that makes a beautiful little film, more elegant! All the acting is top notch, and certainly a must see family film. Even without Hayley the film would be a winner, but adding Ms. Mills to the cast is like the icing on the cake. It's a shame they don't make more films like this that the family can enjoy. This will be Christmas gifts this year for family and friends, as I totally recommend it for everyone. And of course, Amazon did an excellent job of shipping it. It arrived her in the states only days after I enjoyed it. Treat yourself or others to an evening with this adorable little film.
on 22 March 2013
I watched this when I rented the film from Lovefilm and as soon as it had finished I looked on Amazon in order to buy it. Having read some of the reviews I think people are being a little too picky. So what if some of it was predictable? Lots of films are. Why choose to mention the Scottish accent? I thought it was fine and as for the little boy, Eli, he is so adorable I would never tire of watching him. As a spiritual person myself I absolutely loved this film and have already watched it again since it arrived. It leaves me speechless. If you want an easy going, feel good movie, then ignore any negative comments and get this film. I do not understand why it didn't make it to the cinema as someone stated but there have been far worse films that have made it to the cinema! Enjoy!
on 18 January 2013
We rented this film to watch a couple of weeks before Christmas, and ended up buying copies as Christmas presents. It's a lovely film with a good story and it is very well acted. Nice to find something the whole family can watch together.
on 14 September 2012
Full disclosure: I am the father of the little lad who plays the role of the Foster boy. So take my views with a pinch of salt if you like.

But here is a moving, thought-provoking and ultimately heart-warming story...a family film with a plot that reminded me of Mary Poppins and the lensing style of more recent British films such as Notting Hill and About A Boy. It will make a lovely Christmas picture treat.

P.S. In Brazil, where the film is called O Menino De Ouro (or Golden Boy), it is getting rave web reviews. The O Menino de Ouro facebook page has nearly 3500 friends (at mid sept '12) and active chat!
66 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2013
I first watched this film foster through my kindle just thought it was something different as I never heard about it before but what an excellent family film I enjoyed it so much I had to buy it which I never do once I have watched it, highly recommended.
on 27 May 2013
This had we gripped from beginning to end. An emotional roller coaster. The four main cast members give excellent performances. I've been lending the film to various family members and each of them have come back with a totally positive reaction to it.
on 3 November 2013
This is a really captivating film. As if the empathetic Mr. Gruffudd is not enough, the magical storyline and the perfectly delightful little Maurice Cole, made me want to watch it several times and share it with friends.
on 13 February 2013
Brilliant film -We first saw this at a friend's house on a pre release and couldn't wait to order it once it became available on general release.
on 13 June 2014
This film is so beautiful and Maurice Cole who plays the part of Foster i think this part was made for him i cannot imagine anyone else to play his part so good.
The suit and hat he wears and the sensible things he says to the adults makes you laugh as though he is the only one with a bit of sense its a great film i would truly love a young man like foster in my home.
It is a film you can watch over and over again better than Mary Poppins i recommend you buy the film its so good.
on 1 December 2013
very good film and it made me cry and a very good twist in it like to watch it often never get fed up with it i cry every time i watch it