1,185 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner :)
Published 22 months ago by Ashrae

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of 20p and several hours of my life
Published 18 months ago by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner :), 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book cos I have read a fair few of Mr Alexander's books and enjoyed them. Firstly, I found the book to be very well balanced. Yes, it starts off gently, the chapters switching between the third person "here and now" and the first person (Hannah) "background" which, imo, is necessary for the rest of the book to tie up neatly and didn't distract me from the story one little bit. The whole book starts to build steadily into the crescendo and (never saw that coming) twist at the end, finishing neatly sewn up but also leaving the story open for further continuation either from the author or, in my case cos I felt I knew the characters well enough by then, from my own imagination.
The characters were real and very well fleshed out. At times during the book I really felt for them, both positively and negatively. I laughed with them, I shouted at them, I worried for them and, I also have to admit, I cried with them too. I have always found this author to be great at characterisation and this book was no exception. I suspect he has been out and about sharpening up his people watching skills.
I also really enjoyed the style of writing. As already mentioned, there is a mix of 1st and 3rd person and yes, admittedly, it did take a little bit of getting used to but after a few chapter switches I settled into the swing of it very well. However, just when I found myself ticking along nicely, the author pops another style into the mix in the form of letters. So now we have three styles to get on with and blow me down if it doesn't work perfectly.
The story itself is much more than just the return of a lost love, it is about family and friends, their personal interaction and looking into each other's lives and the comparison of what we see and what is actually there and how much really is just a mask. For me, it was a reminder that you really don't know what is happening behind closed doors, even in your own house.
All in all, another winner from Mr Alexander. I would dearly love him to continue with either this story or at least some of the characters from it, so I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for more from him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and not predictable!!, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
Have just finished reading this book having been unable to put it down - especially the last few chapters.

It started off an excellent little story, Hannah and her family, her sister and neice and sister's gay friend all going on holiday to France. The plot went along well, you started to get to know the characters and enjoy their holiday along with them. Then things start getting more serious and things that have been buried for years between Hannah and her husband, Cliff, start rearing their heads again including Cliff's brother who Hannah had thought dead for many years.

The situations get more serious, more involved and eventually come to a head. Hannah as been leading a half-life and now she realises that things have been wrong for many years in her marriage to Cliff. She has resigned herself to a life she now knows is not what she wants and not what she thought she had. How wrong could she be??

An excellent book with a couple of twists and a sting in the tail! Certainly worth reading and especially as the Kindle price is very low. Treat yourself - you won't regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A romance story packed with twists and turns., 17 Nov 2012
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have read by this author and it did not disappoint.

Hannah has a normal life, she is married with a son and she is fairly happy. She loves her son Luke dearly, she cares for her husband Cliff but pretty much just goes through the motions of marriage with him.

The story starts at the beginning of a family holiday where they join Hannah's sister Jill, her gay friend Tristan and her daughter Aisha. We are also introduced to Cliff's brother James later on in the story.

The holiday starts well although from the beginning it is evident there are tensions there, I am not going to spoil the story but I will say that there are plenty of twists in it.

Once I got past the first 50 pages I could not put this book down, my only criticism of the book is that it was a bit of a slow starter for me.

I loved the characters Hannah, Jill and Tristan. I thought that all of the characters were well developed and it was a thoroughly engaging story.

This book also addresses some serious issues, it does it tastefully but also raises awareness to the reader.

This book did leave me slightly wanting more but that is not a negative to me, that is something I really like in a book. If there was a follow up to the story I think I would prefer a book about James's story that runs alongside this story rather than a sequel.

I loved this book and I can not wait to read more of this author's books. I have rated The Half Life of Hannah 5 stars, this is a justified rating although if there was the option to I would realistically have given it 4.8 stars just because It was a bit of a slow start. The complete story is definitely worth waiting for though.

Becky Sherriff (The Kindle Book Review)

The KBR received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. We are not connected with the author or publisher in any way, nor are we otherwise compensated for this service by Amazon or any other party

5.0 out of 5 stars The Half-Life of Hannah - couldn't put it down!, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
I've read several of Nick Alexander's other titles and really enjoyed this. A good storyline with well drawn characters and I liked how he revealed elements that were important to the plot in small chunks, with each one giving more insight into the characters' behaviour and attitudes and drawing my interest further. And then there was a twist near the end that I never saw coming... A great little book, I read it in just a few days between work, I couldn't put it down as they say.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of 20p and several hours of my life, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
There is a line in this book which says that a conversation was like something out of a dodgy script and that perfectly summarises this book for me. After all the rave reviews on Amazon I downloaded it and by the time I got to 25% through the book I really wanted to stop but felt I would miss whatever it was that made for such great feedback. The same happened at 50%.I really should have stopped then. Really predictable "twist". What a waste of time.

The book consists almost entirely of inane dialogue from a cast of complete caricatures - the wild sister, her promiscuous gay best friend etc... - there are less than a handful of "profound" statements which I can see have been highlighted numerous times. I'm guessing those must be the parts others have found so enlightening. A fortune cookie might have provided more insight but saved several hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars None, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
it has been a long time since i have read such a badly written book. the writer must have a lot of friends who have given him these great reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Terrible..., 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
I rarely feel compelled to review the books I read, but felt so strongly about The Half Life of Hannah, here I am.

This book is simply dire. It is full of completely inane conversations between the main characters that go on for pages and pages with absolutely no purpose. The writing style is shockingly bad.

I also rarely give up on a book, but I couldn't bear to waste any more of my time on this drivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
Not usually the sort of book I would go for but for 20p it was worth the risk. As it turned out I couldn't put it down. The characters are well conceived and the plot is believable. Any one who has been married, anyone who has had children, anyone who has had a sibling or anyone who has ever went on holiday in the hope of relaxing and having fun will relate to this story. Life and families are complicated and Hannah's life is full of complications. The story starts out as a normal family holiday and slowly starts to break down as the past comes back to haunt Hannah and lies start to unravel. Highly recommend this book. Really enjoyed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
I was very disappointed with this book, especially after reading the glowing reviews!
The story was very predictable, and the characters one dimensional and flat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you ever really know your husband?, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Half-Life Of Hannah (Kindle Edition)
What began as a fairly ordinary holiday in France with the extended family, exploded into a life changing
situation, when the husband is found to have kept a secrets for years ,not only about his family but about
himself. The ending is enigmatic but not entirely satisfying. Is the author intending to write a sequel ?

Amazon verified purchase