5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read
Kate Simms' career has been on the skids for a while but newly promoted, and with a move to a new force, she's determined to prove to her bosses that she has got what it takes to be a good detective.

Published 12 months ago by Sharon

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoping For a Follow-up
This was a really good story although I did get a bit bogged down in places when they went too deeply into every forensic detail. Although the extra knowledge was useful, it did go on a bit too much !
Published 8 months ago by Lynda Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 11 July 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)

When she's given a pretty open and shut task of looking into some drug-related deaths due to the recent death of a 'celebrity', Kate decides to dig a little deeper and contacts Nick Fennimore for help even though it was due to her acquaintance with him that has blighted her career these last few years. Together they establish that there's definitely something iffy with all of these overdoses but the more they look into the deaths the more it would appear that someone is out to tamper with their investigations as leads start to build up far too easily and take them down the wrong path...

A.D. Garrett is the pseudonym of writing duo Margaret Murphy, an award winning writer, and Professor Dave Barclay, a renowned forensics expert, and together they have written an exciting police procedural that had me gripped almost from the start. As the story progresses there were plenty of twists and turns to throw you off the scent and along the way Kate Simms has to work out just who she can trust, and who it is that doesn't want her to solve the case...

I sincerely hope that this book is the first in a new series as I'd love to read more from Kate Simms and Nick Fennimore in the future. They were a fantastic duo, despite their individual flaws, who together made a formidable team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 6 July 2013
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. Bought it after seeing the authors on Breakfast telly. A gripping read and I particularly liked the feeling of authenticity about both the forensic and the police elements. I very much hope there will be another book in this series as the main characters were left with several unresolved issues which I would love to know more about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collaboration!, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Hardcover)
Two words..... Read it! You will not be disappointed.
However, I might be disappointed if there is not another book following on from this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A promising new series..., 14 July 2013
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Hardcover)
It's always a tricky proposition I imagine to undertake a crime, or indeed any kind of fiction novel with a dual writing partnership. In other books I have read with two authors there is usually a very noticeable distinction between their two styles causing me to favour one over the other, or the book falls down as one has obviously taken control over a certain facet of the story. Everyone Lies neatly bucked the trend for me and I was incredibly impressed by this debut collaboration between Margaret Murphy and Professor Dave Barclay, with this winning combination of established crime author and forensic scientist proving itself to be an altogether better combination than simply relying on meshing the talents of two authors.

Everyone Lies carefully combines the premise of a female police officer, DI Kate Simms, seeking to re-establish her formerly successful career derailed by one investigation, causing her to take a transfer to Manchester, and her complicated but necessary professional and personal relationship with forensics expert Professor Nick Fennimore. Add into the mix an intriguing investigation into a cluster of suspicious drug deaths, with all the attendant forensic detail and the narrow and small minded politics of the police department and this thriller more than proves its worth. The plot was well paced and compelling with enough surprises along the way to keep the reader hooked and all in all a well-judged depiction of the insidious nature of the drugs trade and its consequent victims. Breaking the story down into the fields of expertise of its authors, the forensic detail is perfectly layered into the story, providing points of interest to the reader, but not overwhelming them with unnecessary information, and for me the tormented Nick Fennimore, who labours under the grief of his wife and daughter disappearing some time previously, is the most interesting character of the piece. The mental conflicts this produces in him and the personal failings in his character, in addition to the insight and technical expertise his character brings to the book works exceptionally well throughout. It quickly becomes clear to the reader that there is some shared emotional baggage between himself and Kate which adds another dimension to his more fully formed character. I was not as engaged with Kate finding her a little bland, simply because she seemed an amalgamation of pretty much all of the female detectives I have read. Throughout the course of the book I could see aspects of her more famous counterparts in her character construction, but there is always room for development as I believe this book heralds the arrival of another series worth following in the future. Definitely worth a look if your tastes run to grittier British crime fiction, and a good Manchester based police procedural accurately portraying the more sordid and criminal aspects of inner city life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant, couldn't put it down, keeps you enthralled from page one lots of twists and turns, would recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars A book from a brand new writing duo that bring together the best of crime writing and forensic expertise, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)
Writing duo's aren't that common but tend to be partners who are both writers. It's interesting to find a writing team where one is a writer and the other a technical expert. A D Garrett is the pseudonym of Margaret Murphy, an established prize winning thriller writer and Professor Dave Barclay, lecturer and highly experienced practicing forensic scientist.

I first highlighted Everyone Lies on The Crime Warp, a blog I write for in my April "Hot Picks". It's Murphy and Barclay's first book as A D Garrett introducing Nick Fennimore, a forensic scientist scarred by the unexplained and unsolved disappearance of his young daughter and DCI Kate Simms, who has relocated to Manchester trying to rebuild her career after the failed investigation into the disappearance of Fennimore's daughter.

The plot centres on drugs, prostitution and murder in Manchester. Although Simms quickly solves a case involving adulterated drugs she is unconvinced by the person who confesses to the crime, feeling that some small fry has been paid to take the fall and leave the big fish free. Simms enlists Fennimore's help, unofficially of course, and they are drawn quickly into investigating a murder that appears tangential to the drugs case, but is the key to resolving a number of prostitute murders. As the pace hots up, their find in an abandoned factory in Humberside leads them to realise that some of the answers are closer to home than they realised.

Particular strong points for this book are the real detail about forensics and seeing the way that Simms and Fennimore work through information and clues to develop hypotheses and lines of investigation. There are times when you can see the experience and real life cases that Dave Barclay brings to the partnership. The Manchester setting is convincing and both major and minor characters are developed well. I felt that the pace dipped a little part way through, but then just took off so much, I couldn't have a planned break from reading the book. Mrs Romancrimeblogger wasn't impressed that I hid myself away for most of Saturday because I wouldn't stop reading, but it was worth it!

I'd say the Murphy/Barclay partnership works well and I'll look out for the next one in the Simms/Fennimore series. If you're a fan of forensic science and investigative detail do read this book -you're in for a treat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoping For a Follow-up, 2 Dec 2013
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)
I did notice this was another book set here in the UK using American spellings such as realized/apologize. I'm noticing this a lot with recent books I've read and it's very annoying.
There were some dropped words from sentences too like a/the/to which were aggravating. However, they DID explain abbreviations which was helpful as American authors sling them in willy-nilly with no explanations.
I liked Kate, our leading lady, although she did seem a little gullible to me as I was onto the killer a long time before she was. I wanted to know more about Fennimore's protege Josh, too, so I hope there's maybe a follow-up with the same people featured. I would also like to know more about his hunt for Suzie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electrifying thriller with a social conscience, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)
Everyone Lies is a pacy read, fuelled with crackling dialogue and short scenes. We accompany the main characters on an investigation through Manchester's underworld, encountering drugs, prostitution, corruption and downright sadism. There's concentrated darkness here, with scenes of violence, intimidation and torture. The last fifth of the novel is truly suspenseful, ultimately offering us a long, hard, grisly look at human evil. The villain is one of the nastiest I've read about in some time.

For me, crime is the fictional genre with most to say about society's ills. It's very well placed to lift the least appealing stones and expose the rot underneath. The very best crime novels do this while offering humanity and hope. Everyone Lies is one of those novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I have read!, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)
I believe this is the first joint venture under the handle A.D. Garrett. I do hope there are many more. What a great read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to put this book down., 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Everyone Lies (Kindle Edition)
Found this book by chance in the Kindle store. So glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm happy to recommend it.

Everyone Lies