4.0 out of 5 stars Title captures mood of the novel
Definitely a dark story but gripping in the main nevertheless. A real page turner for the first two-thirds of the novel but then sort of lost itself. The conclusion wasn't as I had anticipated and a bit lack lustre in comparison to how it started
Published 12 months ago by Morag Owens

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many unbelievable twists to the plot
This is the first book I have read by this author. Whilst the writing style was okay I found that there were far too many twists to the plot that were unbelievable whcih spolit my enjoyment of the book. The ending was aparticular disappointment.
Published 12 months ago by John Doyle

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many unbelievable twists to the plot, 30 Aug 2013
John Doyle - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars A very badly written story, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
Amazing that an author of this apparent experience should be able to write such a poorly constructed novel.

It is a great story and starts off very well and for the first 250 pages or so it is a rattling read. Then it becomes dreary and monotonous. Here we go again. New characters keep on being introduced but with very much the same experiences and incidents as previous victims. Here we go again. I know that a serial killer will have a pretty standard modus operandi - and maybe that is difficult to make interesting in a story about a serial killer - but others have managed it - and this author hasn't. And it goes on for 544 pages. Here we go again.

The final denouement has pretty well absolutely nothing to do with the story - in fact it amounts to a different story but using the same characters. The denouement has so little to do with the body of the story that it is in fact an "add-on" explanation of the plot after the bad guy has been caught and everyone has gone home and the story has ended. Frankly it is all so contrived and cobbled together that it amounts to an insult to any average reader

I suppose that in terms of quantity this book represents good value for money because it is so big. However, I bought my copy for 0.99p on a Kindle daily deal - and thank goodness I did.

What a shame that this author has wrecked such a potentially good story. It really needs to be withdrawn and restructured and rewritten.
Does this author have the ability to do any better? I shan't be buying any more of his books to find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Title captures mood of the novel, 18 Sep 2013
Morag Owens (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars describing tedious things a little to frequently for my liking but ..., 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
Decent story line , didn't realise this book was written over 10 years ago . Mr lutz is a very descriptive writer . He goes into far to much detail , describing tedious things a little to frequently for my liking but apart from waffling on abit about nothing it wasn't too bad . Liked the plot , liked the characters , kept me guessing to the end . I've bought another book from this author so hopefully he gets better . 3 stars from me .

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling stuff, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book not realising it was written 20 years ago but the writing didn't seem dated - a mobile phone was even mentioned! Anyway it is your typical serial killer story with chapters from the downtrodden policeman and some by the killer the self. You get background on what made the killer do what he did and there were enough twists to leave me wanting to read more by mr lutz.

5.0 out of 5 stars scared the life out of me!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
I could not put this down. Only recently discovered John Lutz so went back to the start of the Pearl & Quinn stories (this one) to see how it all began.
Brilliant characters, well written and a real page turner. But be warned you may never sleep again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the story enough. Great offer price., 7 May 2014
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
Maybe would have liked to eek out the exciting part a little bit longer and earlier in the story as it all ended so quickly, though I did like the story. A new author to me but I will read more by him after this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker than Night, 12 April 2014
Cathy (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
Wow – an amazing story. I admit to getting a little confused by all the separate characters and twists and turns around the middle of the book, but I’m really glad I persevered. A rattling good tale – great ending which I won’t spoil for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good author, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
I have read lots of his books and will read more.. Not for the faint hearted. in the Jacqui rose karen rose mould.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Darker than Night (Kindle Edition)
I found this book extremely confusing at first, didn't think it was my thing at all. However, once I got into it couldn't put it down, such a good twist at the end too!! Look forward to reading another by this author soon!

Darker than Night