5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good
(Based on a cinema viewing of the film)

So:- It's Richard Curtis: let's go through the checklist:

-The main protagonist will be a romantically inept posh British boy whose seemingly work-shy bohemian family are nonetheless inexplicably well off.

Published 6 months ago by GrahamG

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it... it gets better
My biggest issue with the film was its opening 30minutes.. Poor Dialogue, contrived scenes and cut and paste Curtis scenarios.. However it does get better and shows more of a heart as time progresses..
Published 2 months ago by Danny

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it... it gets better, 10 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
(Based on a cinema viewing of the film)

So:- It's Richard Curtis: let's go through the checklist:

-The ultimate object of his affections will be a lovely American girl whose best friend / guardian is a rather hard and slightly trampy British girl.

-There will be a wider array of eccentric (borderline bonkers) characters.

-There will be more swearing than is ever necessary.

-All boxes ticked.

Can I be honest? I thought Four Weddings and Love Actually were just agreeable, not great, and I've always been irritated by how, in British films and Richard Curtis films in particular, swearing supposedly equals funny - so my expectations were not very high when we settled down in our seats about five minutes before the film started in the cinema - and then a group of mid to late teens trooped in and sat down in the seats in front of us, and I instinctively (and very unreasonably) assumed that this was not the sort of film which would suit them and that they would get bored and start fiddling with their mobile phones all the way through the film.

Well, I could not have been more wrong. Until the end credits rolled and the final notes of the end title music washed over us, we, they, and everyone else sat with attention riveted to the screen.

Before you continue reading, be aware that what follows contains a brief sketch of the film's premise and outlines the story set-up (but not the middle or the ending) for those who know absolutely nothing about it, but would like to know a little about it before choosing to buy it or see it.

If you don't want to know anything about it at all, stop reading now.

If you saw the trailer, you might think you have the drift of it already - as he nears adulthood, the hero (Tim) learns from Dad that all on the male side of the family can time travel back to an event within their own lifetime and take a different path to the one they originally pursued. On learning this, Tim's first thought is to undo what was, for him, an untypical act of minor cruelty committed at the New Years Eve party the night before.

Eventually, out on a rather unusual blind date and entirely without the use of his Talent, he meets up with his soulmate, Mary, the aforementioned American... and then accidentally erases their sublimely perfect first meeting from history while using his Talent to help out an undeserving family friend (a perpetually angry, misanthropic playwright played with acidic relish by Tom Hollander). And so Tim has to try to re-boot his relationship with a girl who doesn't know she ever fell in love with him, and may never do so again.

All this is fairly standard time-travel romance stuff, and by now you'd be thinking the story was about four-fifths of the way through with just one or two more misunderstandings and time travelling fixes to sort it all out - but this film has a lot more depth to it than that, and is by turns unsettling, bittersweet, funny, poignant and at times extremely moving as Tim finds he has to make some excruciating decisions about life-changing events which will hurt one person if he interferes and another if he doesn't (if you have seen the film, you will know I am being necessarily vague here).

Tim is played affably and sensitively by Domhnall Gleeson, likeable in every scene - Mary is the lovely Rachel McAdams who, in all honesty, doesn't have to do much in this film except be her perfect self. Also featured is the undisputed master of just being himself, Bill Nighy as Tim's dad, and although the development of the relationship and the chemistry between Tim and Mary is very sweet and enjoyable to watch, it is actually almost eclipsed by the fantastic relationship Tim has with his father. Also in the mix are forgetful (but harmless) live-in Uncle Desmond (Richard Cordery), Tim's pretty, semi-feral feline sister 'Kit-Kat' (Lydia Wilson) and their sensible, 'sturdy', and still rather beautiful Mum (Lindsay Duncan). The performances of all of the players in these and other minor parts are excellent, with Lydia Wilson a stand-out (for me, anyway) as Kit-Kat.

We talked about this film all the way home, for a while before and after we went to bed, and then some more in the morning, and then some more when we went out for a drive the following day. For us, this was undoubtedly the best work that Richard Curtis has ever done. I subsequently had a look around on review sites and was very surprised to find that critical (ie, website, newspaper, media) reaction to the film had been very mixed and generally lukewarm, and perhaps that uncertain balance will also eventually be reflected in the reviews here as time goes by, but I honestly can not understand, personally, why anyone would not like this film.

Some people will argue that the time travelling aspects of the film are full of holes, that the 'rules' are stated and then subsequently ripped up several times over, but to agonise over all that is to miss the point - the time travelling aspect is just a device to power the main thrust of the film, which is to try to make you examine the way you live your own life, and perhaps to try harder to get things right the first time and consider the possible consequences of your actions for others. This is nothing which hasn't been done before, but it is handled here with a light, deft, sweet touch, and this film is an absolute pleasure to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done., 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Sci fi isn't my thing and I thought this was going to be a bit corny. But I was so wrong. It's a beautiful, charming film. It left me feeling incredibly uplifted and the characters are warm and likeable. It honestly is a great film. I'm ashamed for doubting Richard Curtis, I mean this is te man who brought up Notting Hill, Love Actually etc etc etc...so expect another fantastic rom-com, just with a sci fi twist!

4.0 out of 5 stars How Much Do I Love You, 7 Feb 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
A lovely film ,that took forever, for me, anyway to really latch onto my interest. A film from Richard Curtis, 'Notting Hill', a lot about love, family, living life the right way, everyday.

Tim Lake, played by Domhnall Gleeson, is living at home in Cornwall with his parents Bill Nighy, as dad and Lindsay Duncan, as his mother. Quite an eccentric family, including his sister Kit Kat, played by Lydia Wilson. He is just starting his professional life, he considers himself, "too tall, too skinny and too orange", but to most of us, just right. Tim is leaving for London when his father tells him a family secret: Once they turn 21, the men in the family acquire the ability to travel back in time, a power that comes with its own logic and rules. This does seem like overkill, but it is the one true thing that holds this film together, other than the exquisite acting. Tim can go back to moments in his own life and become more sexy, and more sensitive.

Tim meets the love of his life, Mary, played by Rachel McAdams, and off they go into life. The rest of the film seemed to overlong to me, rather sentimental, but quite lively, all in all. A good film for the family, over 15, and a good date night film. Any film with Bill Nighy is a good one. Rachel McAdams and, new to me, Domhhall Gleeson, carry the film quite well.

Recommended. prisrob 02-06-14

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Cornwall, 2 Mar 2014
Mrs. M. A. Jordan "Magie Jordan" (Portmellon, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Lovely gentle film for enjoying on a cold winters night snuggled in front of a fire. Enjoy the beautiful scenery, sea and coastline of Cornwall where much of it was filmed near Mevagissey. The beach is Bow or Vault beach and one you can have nearly to yourself even on a Bank Holiday because you have to walk to it down the cliff and has no facilities when you get there. Perfect! Watch and dream, and travel there yourself this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's about time Mr. Curtis..., 20 Oct 2013
C. MILLIGAN "Zaarin2006" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Let me be clear: I do not like Richard Curtis films. Let me be clearer still: About Time is an outstanding movie. Truly, genuinely, outstanding.

The truth is I had put off seeing this one for some time; I'd seen the best-jokes-in-the-trailer plug on primetime TV. My wife badgered me for several weeks telling me how she wanted to see it - when she mentioned the C-word I quietly swore not to get involved. The pestering continued and begrudgingly I relented and off we went. I'd had a rubbish day at work, bound to get worse still if old Richard had anything to say about it. Imagine my surprise 10 minutes in. I was enjoying it. I mean, really enjoying it. Let me explain...

The plot is pretty straightforward actually: it's about a boy growing up into early adulthood, getting married, having kids, losing family. The twist - presented immediately, and without any fuss whatsoever - is that he can travel in time to any point in his life and do things again, differently if he so wishes. Cue amusing first kisses, refining his first introduction to his girlfriend's parents, and repairing family issues. I know you might be yelling spoiler alert at this point, but trust me when I say the magic of this film lies in its execution - in the beautiful scripting and attention to characterisation. It purposefully doesn't raise the issue of morality with the whole idea of correcting all the mistakes you made without consequences, but it doesn't need to - the viewer can do that themselves.

The performances are mesmerising - whilst Bill Nighy probably scoops best in show (if only because he reminds me of so many University lecturers), Rachel McAdams presents a blindingly gorgeous albeit believable love interest in a more entertaining second time-travel outing (see The Time Traveler's Wife) and Domhnall Gleeson's lead is sharp, intelligent, witty and softly comical without taking too much advice from the bumbling twerpery of Hugh Grant in just about every Hugh Grant film. The plot is a soap opera yet contagiously intriguing. The excellent use of Cornish landscape and contemporary British settings (Restaurant Dans le noir - how topical!) complete a colourful on-screen presence and add to an altogether memorable and highly emotional piece of cinema. Wipe Notting Hill forever from your brain and go see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Curtis is quite possibly a genius!, 6 Jan 2014
Jenny Seymour (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I love this movie! I'll be honest, I do love all Richard Curtis' movies, but this one, this one touched me. It is a simple tale, beautifully told and acted. Normal people with a slight twist. No great dramas, just a brilliantly crafted story of a family. I fell in love with Tim and Mary, and Kit Kat, with mum and dad and even the friends. Domhnall Gleeson is a relevation, Rachel MacAdam understated and just, well, lovely!
The music is, as always with a Curtis movie, a crucial factor, and is, as ever, stunning. John Boden and 'How long will I love you' wow! Just wow!
Am I being over effusive? Probably, but on so many levels this film has stayed with me, and has changed something in me. Isn't that what a great story is meant to do?
If you haven't seen it already, I recommend that you do. Soon!

2.0 out of 5 stars very slow, 27 Mar 2014
M. M. S. Ledger "Stick..Shift" (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time (Amazon Instant Video)
very slow and boring. seem to go round in circles.

thiink this was trying to be a romcom but fails, very few funny bits and not enough to make a full film

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice film, 22 Mar 2014
D. Collard-Berry (West Sussex/Surrey/Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
A lot of hype about how good this was but you as wander along with it as you would be aware of the script, very predictable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: About Time [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Easy viewing, although a little slow moving at the start. Good cast. A friend recommended it and it was a classic Richard Curtis movie with a message. I liked it , but not sure if I would watch it over and over again as I do with many of his films

ARRAY(0xa961012c)

About Time [DVD] [2013]
About Time [DVD] [2013] by Richard Curtis (DVD - 2014)
14.50