5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park 3D
Published 11 months ago by Denton

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best 3d conversion I have ever seen
I am reviewing the 3d transfer here, and not the excellent film which I have almost seen as many times as Star Wars Ep4.

I watched this last night in a darkened room, through my PS3 (I tend to watch all my 3d blurays through this) on my Samsung 40" LED 1080p tv.
Published 4 months ago by Mr. M. R. Emly

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park 3D, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Jurassic Park [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I bought this after watching Titanic and seeing how good post conversions can be when done properly, with a dedicated team that spends almost a year on the process and $10mil. I have to say, after horrors like Thor 3D and Clash of the Titans 3D, I was extremely sceptical about whether post conversion could ever really work - I felt they were just cash grab gimmicks. I am so glad to say, Post-conversion can be totally Amazing.

Jurassic Park 3D is THE BEST live action 3D film I have ever seen. It was an incredible experience and beats all of the Marvel films, Avatar and other natively shot 3D films. I own about 50 3D films and was, up until now, of the impression that only animations really work in 3D. I am so glad to say that I was utterly wrong. I haven't seen The Life of Pi 3D but hear that's good, so maybe that represents good competition for JP 3D.

The reason JP works so well in 3D is because so many of the scenes have a great deal of perspective and layers through Dinos, foliage (blustering and static), rain, geography, structures and actors, all of which have been rendered with curved edges and positioned correctly within the frame at their respective depths. Some of the scenes do pop out too, like the raptor jumping up through the ceiling grate. The pop out is the best I've seen and used only when absolutely necessary for total film immersion. There was only one shot that didn't work in the whole film and that was the back rest of a chair that Laura Dern was sitting on, It appeared in the wrong plane of view. This scene lasted a few seconds. Apart from that stupidly minor quibble, I had one of the most engrossing and edge-of-my-seat film experiences in years. I was drawn into a film in a way that I have not experienced since I was a kid. It was literally a revelation.

The sound has also been remastered, meaning it's more captivating than ever. Even the picture has been cleaned up and added to, like rain drops in the foreground (there are multiple layers of rain) to make it feel real - and my god, does it feel real. The mosquito encapsulated in the amber fossil looks incredible! The car falling from the tree, the herds of dinosaurs in the wild, the T-Rex attack (all 3 of them), the raptors hunting the group in the main building - all of it created the most sumptuous feast my eyes have ever had while watching a 3D film.

I've seen this film many many times since the first watch in the cinema when I was 12. Even knowing the story inside out, this version gaVe me an incredible experience, like watching one of the true classics of cinema for the very first time.

Apart from animations, which are mostly pretty darn good in 3D, JP is a reference quality film for live action. I would even go as far as to say, if you own one 3D film, it should be this one.

Turn the lights off, Increase the screen lumens to avoid that annoying muted cinema 3D feeling, the sound up, put your glasses on and prepare for one of the most thrilling home cinema experiences of the decade - or ever !

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park 3D review, 19 Dec 2013
Jurassic Park was one of if not my favourite childhood movie, I have seen it countless times, and nearly managed to catch the film in 3d in America earlier this year. I think everyone knows the film so this review is not about it. More the incredible conversion job done on it to convert into 3D. In my opinion it is up there as one of the very best 3D pictures i've ever seen, even though its a 20 year old film. The depth is spot on, and gives the film a real sense of immersion, i've just sat enthralled for the last couple of hours by it.

If you have a 3d set up at home, i'd recommend this even if you already own another format of JP, it truly is astounding.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Blu Ray review - brilliant conversion of Speilberg classic, 14 Dec 2013
I have seen Jurassic Park many times over the years and must have owned it a few times in different formats but, without a doubt, I feel the 3d conversion on Blu Ray is the best i have experienced Spielberg's classic. A short, 9 minute or so, bonus feature on the 3D disc confirms why the post-conversion has been handled so well - it was handled by Stereo D the same company that were behind the conversion of Titanic (one of the best conversions I have seen). The short details the 9-months of work that went in to the process with Speilberg taking a very active roll. I never appreciated until seeing this how much work was involved - take the T-Rex scene where it was detailed how they had to make the rain appear in different perspective to give depth to the shot - all the rain drops had to be worked on frame by frame. Amazing and the results are up on the screen. The sound has seen some attention too from the original artists with a little extra oomph added to T-Rex etc., Anyway, on to the key parts of the release:

3D: As detailed above the 3D conversion is handled very well with the process really adding to the viewing of the film. Image quality (fills a 16x9 frame with a tiny black border at the bottom edge) is excellent with a tiny amount of film-like grain that is apparent in the dark scenes but, overall, a sterling effort for a film that is now 20-years old! Sound quality on the 3D disc offers a 7.1 lossless track along with a 5.1 lossless for english language (other options too but I will focus on the english language throughout). Plenty use is made of the surrounds and, for those that have one, the sub-woofer track. The T-Rex scene is the one to try with the classic ripples on the glasses of water scene! One particularly nice part about the 3D disc is that you get straight to the film with none of the 'you will be fined if you copy this or play it on an oil-rig etc.,' type messages. Chapters are plentiful allowing you to go to your favourite scene via the pop-up menu button. One 3D extra is included as mentioned above.

2D: Basically the same image quality as the 3D but start with 4 x different warnings about piracy followed by a further, animated one, thanking us for buying it. Come on Universal - cut it out. We have purchased the thing so enough of the warnings. Sound is the same 7.1 lossless found on the 3D disc but no 5.1 track. Lots of foreign language tracks included as well as Japanese should you want it. Main, and for me the only, reason for putting this disc on concerns the extras as there are loads of them! There must be 2.5 hours or so of features and worth a look if you like the usual making of's etc., I have scanned the reverse of the slip-case so you can see the full details available from the back cover should you require - this can be found above by the main images.

Really hope that they will now convert the sequels in 3D so I can complete the set. After watching the 3D documentary I guess I can now appreciate how much work goes in to a good conversion but this also, probably, means such work will only be done for the main big catalogue titles which is a shame. Done well it can add huge amounts to the right film.

Overall I rate this very highly and consider it to be a very worthwhile 3D Blu Ray. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bench mark for converted 3D films., 10 Jun 2014
This movie sets the bench mark for converted 3D films. The 3D effects are just simply amazing. I watched this film in 3D at my local Imax cinema, but watching this movie on my 3D TV, shows a much better 3D effect.

Jurassic Park 3D rating

Video 5/5
Audio 5/5
3D effect 5/5
Movie 5/5

If you love this film I highly recommend it in 3D, if you have a 3D set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 30 April 2014
Loved it, it was always a good film but works really well in 3D, brings out a whole new dimension (pun intended).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legend, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
This movie as everyone knows is, no doubt a great entertainer & as all the reviews right say, that even after more than a decade the special effects are amazing. Although there is more talking then action compared to its sequels. But overall still holds its place in today’s time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must for anyone's movie collection!, 4 Feb 2014
Not too many movies can withstand the test of time, especially where special effects are concerned, but this one most certainly does. SHEER AWESOMENESS!!! If you haven't seen this movie by now, just hang your head in shame and rectify that problem immediately, before others find out you're Amish.

4.0 out of 5 stars "...Clever Girl...", 10 May 2012
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
*** THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 2012 'AUGMENTED REALITY' BLU RAY ***

Part of Universal Studios "100th Anniversary" celebrations - there are 15 UK-released titles in this 23 April 2012 BLU RAY and DVD series - and "Jurassic Park" is one of them - an "Augmented Reality" issue.

Each of these re-releases has generic "100th Anniversary" card-wrap packaging on the outside with matching artwork on the inside box (no repackaging of old discs). The full series list (including US titles of which there are a lot more) is in the 'comment' section attached to this review...

So what is "Augmented Reality"? It's a 3D mini-show that's built into the front sleeve of each release. You download the free "Universal 100 App" from their website to your Smartphone or Tablet (iPhone 3GS or above, iPad 2, Android and other high-end devices) - you open the download and hold your phone/tablet over the front sleeve. It wirelessly loads and then begins playing a 3D display that lasts about 20 seconds - in this case you're looking down at a Velocaraptor attacking a Tyrannosaurus Rex while the Rex lets out that distinctive roar. That's it I'm afraid. Pretty silly stuff and over as soon as its begun.

Better however is the 'price' - this is the first time Universal has reissued BLU RAY retailing at less than ten pounds - these singular discs are eight quid in most places - the DVDs two for a tenner. And it's the first time "Jurassic Park" has been on BLU RAY as a single disc outside of the "Ultimate" Box Set (and with copious extras - some of which are new).

PRINT QUALITY:
Truth told it's not great. I recently reviewed "The Blues Brothers" in this series and before that the "Back To The Future" Trilogy Box Set - both of which have fabulous print quality. I wish I could say the same for "Jurassic Park". A large amount of the time there are dollops of shimmering grain on the print - especially if the scenes are indoors - of which there are a lot. You wouldn't think this would put you off - but at times it's so prevalent (computer room sequences with Samuel Jackson and Richard Attenborough) - it's all you see. And while the T.Rex attack sequence is still mind-blowing - as are the Velocaraptor chases inside the main facility - time has caught up with the rest of the prehistoric renderings - many of the dinosaur special effects shots looking decidedly dated and every so slightly out-of-focus.

SOUND:
Given a full on 7.1 surround remaster - the SOUND QUALITY is exceptional from the get go. Even on standard audio systems something as ordinary as the opening shot of trees blowing in the dark comes to life - leaves rustling and creature shrieks fill every corner of your room. It adds incredible power to so many scenes. I just wish the actual watch was better - but like "Close Encounters Of A Third Kind" - the BLU RAY seems to have made the viewing experience worse and not better - accentuating all too often how bad the print is.

PACKAGING MISTAKES/EXTRAS:
First up - some marketing bright spark has also stuck a lengthy "Lifetime Of Memories" Universal sticker right across the back of `each release' advertising holidays and prizes you can win - except that it completely covers that part of the back-cover which tells you what BONUSES on the disc. In other words you cannot visually tell what's actually on this release - even as you hold it in your hand! It's a simple mistake - but a staggeringly stupid one - and I'd argue sabotages sales of otherwise excellent titles.

And when you peel off the sticker - more carelessness. The card-wrap tells you there's a 'never-before-seen 6-part documentary featuring all-new interviews with Directors Steven Spielberg and Joe Johnston - cast and crew including...William H Macy'. THERE ISN'T. That blurb belongs to the 5-disc "Ultimate" Box Set. What you do get however is impressive - the first '3-parts' of that documentary - and an impressive 12 (not 13 as the box says) archival featurettes of old. You have to say that it's sloppy presentation to say the least and Universal could surely be had legally for advertising something that isn't on here? But - and it's worth re-stating this - what's on here is EXTENSIVE and properly indepth (see full list below).

The film itself is still hugely entertaining and a milestone in special effects development. The cup of water on the dashboard rippling as T.Rex approaches - the vegetation-eating long-necked Brachiosaurus nudging the children and Sam Neill in the tree - climbing the fence and getting off of it just before the electricity comes on - outrunning the 'meatosaurus' in one of the theme park cars with Jeff Goldblum caustically remarking afterwards "You think that was part of the tour?" - Bob Peck's face and remark as the Raptor ambushes him from the side instead of the front (dialogue above) - the 'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth' banner falling to the ground at the end... "Jurassic Park" is Director Steven Spielberg at his entertaining best - expertly racking up so many scenes with palpable tension and thrills.

To sum up then - the silly gimmick packaging, content misrepresentation and sometimes disappointing picture quality aside - the single disc of "Jurassic Park" gives you a lot of bang for your buck. But I still can't help feel that if you can plum the extra for the Ultimate Box Set (same thing for the "Back To The Future" Trilogy set too) - then the multiple is a far better buy.

A good release then (and with great extras) - just don't expect that "Perfect Hi-Def Picture" as per the blurb on the back of the box.

BLU RAY Specifications:
VIDEO: 1080p High-Definition Widescreen 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
AUDIO: English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese DTS Surround 5.1
SUBTITLES: English SDH (Deaf/Hard Of Hearing), French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Cantonese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Icelandic, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish and Traditional Mandarin

SPECIAL FEATURES:
1, Return To Jurassic Park: Dawn Of A New Era (NEW - Part 1 of 6)
2. Return To Jurassic Park: Making Prehistory (NEW - Part 2 of 6)
3. Return To Jurassic Park: The Next Step In Evolution (NEW - Part 3 of 6)
4. Archival Featurettes:
8. Production Archives
6. Theatrical Trailer
7. Jurassic Park: Making The Game
8. My Scenes

PS: for details on Universal's "100th Anniversary" Series in general (both UK and USA) - see the 'comment' section attached to this review...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best 3d conversion I have ever seen, 14 Feb 2014

I must say I was disappionted by the clarity. As this is the first film I have bought where they have reissued it with a 3d version I wasnt sure what to expect. I found that a lot of the scenes when in 3d looked very blurred and certain layers of the 3d effect were just really blurry. I also noticed a hue around the characters where the 3d transfer wasnt quite spot on. I thought at first it may be my glasses, so I swapped with another pair and the same issues were still apparent. I cant really say the 3d added much depth either, yes you could tell that there were various 3d layers to the scenes, but it wasnt crisp and somehow it felt like it was just a "bolted on" effect.
The scene where the Gallimimus are running around the field looked ok, but still I was hoping for more from the 3d effect, I was totally underwhelmed by the T-Rex scenes too,

My advice would be that for this film, the conversion is not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Greatest Adventure Of All Time", 2 Jan 2006
J. Michell "jonbob_the_great" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jurassic Park [DVD] (DVD)
For once i believe a film delivers exactly what the tagline describes. Right from it's horrific, tension-mounting opening, to the "Final Showdown" style ending, JURASSIC PARK is an adventure you won't forget. I first saw this film when i was 5 years old and it happened to be the first film i ever saw in a cinema. And what a film to start with!!
With Steven Spielberg, you come to expect certain things within a film. For instance, you know the visual effects will be of the highest quality. JURASSIC PARK is certainly no exception. Being one of the first films to use CGI on mass, the computer generated dinosaurs blend flawlessly with the anamatronic animals to create an effect so realistic you'll be scared to ever close your kitchen door again (the infamous raptor sequence).
In terms of plot, the movie does somewhat differ from the book. Without spoiling it for newcomers, let's just say some of the characters left at the end should have been victims according to Michael Crichton. However, the storyline flows very well, providing the audience with enough action to allow for some of the more mellow scenes.
The characters in the film are very, very well acted and even the children are believable when screaming at a dinosaur which isnt really there. It's good to know that (at the time) these actor's were not Hollywood's biggest stars, meaning the emphasis is placed upon their acting instead of the looks.
Overall, i think everyone should see this film. It's the perfect family film (recently voted into the top 15 family films of all time on Channel 4). I've grown up with the film and i've seen it so many times i know the script backwards. But i still notice little bits which make it better every time.
It's great the first time and the 100th time. I certainly rate it as one of the best movies ever made. Don't miss out!!!
PS: One thing i would say is that i dont know how this edition differs from the last one released. As it hasnt shown a cover i do not know if it's a new design or it there are more discs than before. If you're not too sure either, then perhaps look into buying the trilogy or the exisitng edition.

Jurassic Park [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Jurassic Park [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Steven Spielberg (Blu-ray - 2013)
12.00