5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering debut read
Hannah Sugarman is living the dream life... living with her boyfriend Adam in Washington and working in the financial district compiling currency reports for her boss Mark.... except it's not her dream life it's the one her parents want her to lead as they arranged the job for her and Adam hasn't even told his parents they're living together yet!

If Hannah had...
Published 23 months ago by Sharon

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly inappropriate.....
"...his arms flailing as he randomly pushed buttons. He looks like someone with cerebral palsy"

As a paediatrician who has to sometimes break the bad news that someone's child has cerebral palsy this phrase shows insensitivity, crassness and a total disregard for some of the best people I know.....

I would give this book less than 0 stars if I could.
Published 11 months ago by Grumpy Baby Doc

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Escapism for sleepless foodies, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
A bit corny at times and sometimes the heroine is rather. Immature and downright irritating but it's an amusing romp of relaxing escapism, if a tad predictable. A good read for a sleepless night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed it. Characters were well chosen and the story flowed nicely. Enjoyed having an element of cooking to go with the live tears and laughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put the book down, a story of love and friendship that make you laugh and cry. Makes me want to bake more.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little predictable, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of Hannah, she's just split up from her boyfriend and hates her job. She moves to a new apartment - a basement in her new landlord's flat. It's there that she starts her secret supper club, but after a bit of flooding she decides to take it upstairs into his house knowing that he's away. It's a success. Trouble is, she feels guilty because he's a local politician and totally against illegal restaurants as it takes away business from local businesses.

And that's when it all becomes too predicatable - she uses his property again when he's not there, she bumps into people he knows it all leads in one direction.

It's a shame - I would have preferred to have read a book about the type of people she cooked for at the Secret Supper Club it could have been really interesting but I was getting more and more bored as the book got on - it was all just too obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, ideal book if you are a romantic foodie!, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
I love foods that involve food and romance, so it was a shoe in. Yes the storyline is predictable but it's a lovely easy read that takes you away, and makes your mouth water with lovely food. If you like this sort of book, do read The Food Of Love by Anthony Capella, he always seems to write about food and love.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
A good book. Not gripping or exciting but an easy read. The storyline is a little slow and predictable but fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be worse, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Paperback)
Didn't get further than the cerebral palsy reference. Inappropriate & disgusting. Completely unnecessary & I found it very upsetting and am surprised this was allowed to be published

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious Read, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Paperback)
Meet Hannah, she's working in a job that she doesn't enjoy, surrounding by people who aren't particularly likable, her only saviour is her best friend Rachel.

Hannah loves to cook and dreams that one day she can turn her passion into a career but nearly everyone around her doesn't view that as a suitable option.

When Hannah finds that her boyfriend Adam wants to end their relationship, she reaches a low point, until Rachel suggests she starts a secret supper club from her new apartment.
With a new focus Hannah starts cooking up a storm, but can she keep it up? It is after all someone else's kitchen and a lot is at stake!

As soon as I read the synopsis for `The Secret Supper Club' I was excited to read the book.

Its a tale of food, love and self discovery.

I found myself drawn to two characters instantly, there was something about them which made me want to learn more about their characters and their story.

Rachel is a great friend to Hannah, spurring her on to achieve her goals and follow her dreams. She's always there when Hannah needs her.

Then we have Blake, Hannah's landlord. The guy who helps Hannah realise that she needs to start living her life for her, not for her parents.
Blake is one of the good guys and you can feel that throughout the story.

Don't get me wrong I liked Hannah but at times I wanted to give her a reality check. She was pining after Adam who frankly didn't deserve her, she let's her parents dictate her life path to her and sometimes she is so wrapped up in her own issues she misses when people are trying to talk to her and what's right under her nose.
I liked Hannah when she owned up to who she is.

The story definitely got me thinking about how you need to live you life for you and no one else, I found the message to be `if you can dream it then go for it, it may not work out but at least you can say you tried'

It's a delicious book that will leave your mouth-watering with its food descriptions and your imagination whirring with the story it tells.

A lovely touch is the supper club recipes, for the inspired amongst us who want to have a go at some of Hannah's favourite dishes.

Grab a nice glass of wine and `The Secret Supper Club' its time to feed your imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't keep this Secret!, 12 Dec 2012
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
The Secret Supper Club is about, believe it or not, a secret supper club! A secret supper club is basically where a bunch of people attend what is essentially a dinner party, and they pay for the privilege. It's something Hannah has wanted to do ever since she heard about them, but boyfriend Adam has always said no. But, when he breaks up with her and she moves into the basement of the brilliant Blake, she realises there's no time like the present to begin her own secret supper club, and so, the Dupont Circle Supper Club is born. However after realising just how small her own kitchen is, she and best friend Rachel decide the only way they can pull off this illegal venture is to host it in Hannah's landlord's ridiculously large & beautiful house when he's away in Tampa due to work commitments. As the secret supper club becomes more popular, though, Hannah has to make sure no one knows its of her doing and has to make sure it stays underground, but as she and Blake become closer and closer, will Hannah's secret operation ruin absolutely everything?

The Secret Supper Club blew me away; I loved everything about it. I loved Hannah, I loved the idea of a secret supper club, I loved Hannah's best friend, Rachel, I loved to read about the food Hannah was making even though none of it ever made any sense to me (fish fingers, folks, fish fingers), and I loved Blake. I thought it was one of the most enchanting, enjoyable reads I've read in ages. It was so good that I raced through all 480 pages in a matter of hours, the writing being so good that I could barely put it down to walk my dogs or eat some lunch (the lunch bit is necessary because this book doesn't half make you hungry). The idea is genius. I had never, ever heard of such a thing as a secret supper club until this novel, but I think it's great. Obviously, illegal, but fabulous nonetheless. Hannah was such a brilliant lead character, I absolutely adored her. I was a bit worried at the start there, that she couldn't see what a total and utter jerk Adam was, but she wised up sharpish, and she turned out to be one of the warmest, wittiest characters I've read in a while. I loved the secrecy of the supper club, but most of all, I liked the friendship that began between Hannah and Blake. It was a slow-burner, but it was slow in the best possible way. To paraphrase the wonderful Blake, it had me hooked!

I can hardly believe this is Dana Bate's debut novel. It seems so unreal, because it is just SO good. It's a totally magical novel that kept me enchanted the entire way. Dana's writing is out of this world, she really gets you into Hannah's head and I just loved it. She's easily one of the best first-person writers out there. She knows her stuff and The Secret Supper Club is a pure triumph. This is an author to watch, no doubt about it. I adored everything about the novel and it made me feel so warm and happy inside, which is always the mark of a good book. Right from the off, Hannah is a character you instantly love, she's the kind of character you instantly want to be friends with. I know I did. Her kitchen skills are ace, and she blew me away. The whole novel blew me away, it's such a clever novel, and it just has a bit of everything - humour, romance, characters to root for, utterly brilliant writing; it had everything I ask for in a Chick Lit read, and if there's one debut author you need to try and one debut novel you need to read it's this one, because you won't forget it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious, Entertaining Novel..., 1 Jan 2013
Stacey Woods (Poole, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Supper Club (Paperback)
Secret Supper Clubs are quietly taking over the world, so it was only a matter of time until we had a novel about one and, like one of the very clubs she writes about, Dana Bate adds just the right dose of intrigue and romance to her novel, The Secret Supper Club, to keep us interested.

Hannah Sugarman works for an economics think tank in Washington DC, but her career couldn't be further away from her dreams, for Hannah would rather be elbows-deep in a mixing bowl, producing one of her famous carrot cakes than churning out papers on the financial crisis. She isn't helped, however, by her family, friends and even her boyfriend, Adam, who all think she should be concentrating on serious things and not mere cookery.

After Adam ends their relationship, Hannah is suddenly looking for a place to live to hide and recover and seemingly rents the perfect basement flat from Blake, Director of Communication for a Florida Congressman. Prompted by her friend and bearing in mind the spirit of new beginnings, Hannah decides to set up a secret supper club to show off her culinary skills and, perhaps, gain a little confidence along the way. There's only one problem - she's running her club out of her Landlord's flat and he has no idea...yet.

I challenged myself to read 45 books this year, and I managed it partly through reading books like this one. Although it's not short I was able to whizz through it as Hannah and her compadres are such easy characters to read about. Hand on heart, you do have to say that you can see the ending coming from a mile away, but this makes the novel no less charming and readable, in fact, Hannah is such a likeable character that you can see her blundering into these impossible situations and just want to shout at her all the things that are going to go wrong!

Nevertheless, this is a fun book and the dishes Hannah makes sound just delicious, which makes is very exciting that, as a treat, Dana Bate has included recipes of the dishes Hannah makes for the supper club at the back of the book. The carrot cake is a definite goer for me and the inclusion of the recipes is a really nice touch.

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›