5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of terror.
My love of Aycliffe's work began with his Book The Lost which I bought by chance simply because I liked the cover. I hurriedly began hunting his other novels down and enthusiastically recommending his work to friends. Very few authors write ghost stories and creeping tales of dread and terror as well as he does. If you like M.R. James then you'll probably like Aycliffe,...
Published 19 months ago by Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well & the Fell to Pieces
The first three quarters of this book were quite brilliant. It was a suspense filled ghost story to rival Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black" until suddenly it all went to pieces.
The beginning of the story is simple enough with the picture of a happy academic couple just approaching Christmas when their daughter is 4 years old. It all goes to pieces when their...
Published 6 months ago by DJF

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 14 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition, 30 Dec 2012
Ms. J. Mulroy "JM" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
A really creepy read, where lines between reality, the supernatural and the mind are blurred. Recommended.
Especially if you like Susan Hill!

1.0 out of 5 stars What a horror!, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I am by no means narrow minded but what started as a fairly convincing horror story turned into some sort of incest/festish/bloodbath what a horrible disturbing book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two Different Writing Styles are Evident, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
The vast bulk of this book is appealing for the following reasons...

The story is immediately easy to engage with as well as being very easy to read and to follow. I really enjoyed most of the book but unfortunately my appreciation began to quickly evaporate during the last third of the book.

The reason for my disappointment in the latter stage of the book is simply because the whole approach changes from the earlier classic , atmospheric ghost story style into a rather boringly salacious ,modern treatment full of unwanted sexual deviancy and blood and gore. The author should have stuck with the style, content and approach that is evident throughout the bulk of the book. Instead I feel that the author has essentially diminished the integrity of the whole novel because of the failings of the last part of the book .

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I was expecting much more from this book...a very good story line but did not live up to its potential.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started out well but sadly lost it ..., 18 Dec 2013
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I thought from the description and the kindle sample that this would be an atmospheric ghost story full of mystery and subtle terror - and for the first half that was more or less what I got. The fate of Naomi is truly tragic and the author raises some interesting possiblities as to how this could be tied into similar atrocities which happened in the past. It seemed the storyline could go in several interesting directions ...

Sadly he then goes on to throw it all away by introducing a major twist after which the novel descends into a misogynistic orgy of sex and violence which - after the initial shock value - actually becomes quite tedious, and all the suspense, mystery of the first half disappears into nothingness.

If you have ever watched one of those films that starts out suspenseful and ends in a splatterfest, where all thought of unravelling the mystery or staying true to the plot flies out the window, then you have a good idea what to expect with this book. I suspect that he just ran out of ideas and decided to distract the reader from this by making conclusion to the book as shocking and gory as possible. Probably wouldn't bother with his other books after this ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Started off scary and a good read... But got a bit strange!, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
To start off, the 1 star is for the beginning of the book, at first I couldn't put the book down! I was really drawn into the story and understood the characters well. I love scary ghost stories, but this one started to go a bit strange.

I read about 80% on my kobo ereader and thought this is a bit weird... The main character Charles felt sexually aroused by his sister :s it ended up being one horrible, incest sexual fantasy mess! Really horrible. I don't understand how a lot of people love this book!

I just think it's a sick book, which is a shame as it started off being a really good scary story! I wanted to finish it but it got too weird for me to read. So got to 90% and put it down!

1.0 out of 5 stars Naomi's Room -, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely hated this book and if I had known beforehand what it contained I would definitely not have purchased it. In my opinion it should come with a government health warning! It is thoroughly distasteful and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. I did read the first chapter before purchasing it, which gave no real hint of what was to come. I think a synopsis of the book, such as is shown on the back of books you purchase in the shop, should be available for all books purchased on Kindle. I found it very distressing. I read quite a few murder, mystery books but the topics covered in this book are perverted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I did not enjoy reading this book at all. It is still haunting me, what a horrible thinking it was just very unpleasant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
Whilst I enjoyed this book I was expecting more. It is not a scary book and overall I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned ghost story, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
A gripping yarn I read this in two sittings. Fast paced and well plotted, I've dropped a star because it did start to get a bit vague towards the end and let several interesting threads lead to nothing. If those threads had been explored, I think readers would feel more satisfied. On the other hand it's perfect for a sequel.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 14 | Next ›