5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of terror.
Published 15 months ago by Me

For about three quarters of this book I was swept up and admiring Aycliffe's ability to layer on unsettling, heart-pounding unease, in this story of a disappeared child. This was well-crafted, even M.R. Jamesian in its ability to unsettle and disturb the reader. Like some other reviewers I was unable to read this at night, settling for daylight hours only.

The...
Published 15 months ago by Lady Fancifull

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of terror., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
My love of Aycliffe's work began with his Book The Lost which I bought by chance simply because I liked the cover. I hurriedly began hunting his other novels down and enthusiastically recommending his work to friends. Very few authors write ghost stories and creeping tales of dread and terror as well as he does. If you like M.R. James then you'll probably like Aycliffe, though Naomi's Room does become a little more grisly as it reaches it's shocking ending. It is such a shame nothing new has come from his pen in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book i have never forgotten, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
I read this book back in the early nineties when I was in my early 20s, I read mainly horror and ghost stories then
and this book really stood out among the rest.
it was one of the most creepiest books I think I have ever read then and since.
I cant remember the story very well but I certainly remember the feelings it gave me.
I passed it on to my mum when I had finished, I don't think she liked it very much, FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS
now ive found it on amazon I will read it again and hope it has stood the test of time. (forgive me if it hasn't)

it was creepy, spooky, not gory. just a great ghost story. I certainly have not found many others since that have not
disappointed me.

I hope you will give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely creepy, rough and brutal., 27 Jun 2013
Nurrie (NE Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
A really creepy horror story. Spooky and haunting. The writer manages to build up great atmospheres of terror. The plot reveals itself at good speed, with great need to keep turning the page. I read this within 2 nights, hooked on it. The writing is well crafted and flows nicely. The writer is excellent at describing the hauntings, sending a chill through my bones.

However, I felt the ending was rushed, surprising and cliche all at once. It felt like maybe an easy way out to end it, even if it quite a brutal way to end it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
When I started, I wasn't too sure what to expect, but soon became quite scared by this tale. As a fan of herbert, I am not a novice to horror stories, but Naomi's Room had me quite creeped out. A surprising tale and well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naomi's Room, 22 Feb 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
I'd forgotten quite how horrifying this story is; it's several years since I last read it, and grabbing it off the bookshelf the other evening it didn't take me long to get enthralled in the horror of the whole experience in this book. I did have to put it aside to read in the daytime; reading it at night was just not a good idea.

I've read a few of Jonathan Aycliffe's books, and they are always right on the money. Just the right touch of narration, inference, atmosphere and action. The writing is engaging, the stories always chilling; leaving the reader aghast, but driven to know what happens next.

This story is no exception; a young child is abducted while out shopping with her father; but when he tries to make sense of what happened to her, and what seems to be happening to his family, he finds more than he could ever have imagined. We, the reader, get to hear the unravelling of his story, and of his sanity from a distance, but also as it happens.

Horrifying, chilling, ghastly, and totally riveting. Just don't read it at night.

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful layering of unease, unfortunately not sustained - SPOILER ALERT!, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)

The story of a missing and then murdered child, and the investigation by her parents, particularly her father, and the sense of palpable, creeping, ghostly malevolent evil reminded me increasingly of The Omen [DVD] [1976], particularly when some rather gruesome and visceral shocks began to occur.

However, what began well and was sustained and intensifying, with the child's parents and other investigators getting chillingly increasingly disturbed by what they were begin to unravel, then began to descend, quickly and in an overdone fashion into schlocky and savagely described horror; in fact, the story changed genres. For the most part, the book had felt 'realistic' in the way that the best ghost writers do, but the final Liddley unravelling, and the segment with Charles' sister felt gratuitous, slasher horror fest. Unfortunately the book then unravelled backwards for me, with the character of Laura, in particular, becoming less and less plausible, as aspects of her behaviour and interior landscape, slightly strange at times as I read, being revealed as rather crass plot devices.

The bulk of the book was product of a much more psychologically clever and restrained imagination than the last section, which felt implausible, rushed, and curiously, as if it had run out of steam, as the various carefully teased out threads were suddenly covered in buckets of overdone gore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two Different Writing Styles are Evident, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
The vast bulk of this book is appealing for the following reasons...

The story is immediately easy to engage with as well as being very easy to read and to follow. I really enjoyed most of the book but unfortunately my appreciation began to quickly evaporate during the last third of the book.

The reason for my disappointment in the latter stage of the book is simply because the whole approach changes from the earlier classic , atmospheric ghost story style into a rather boringly salacious ,modern treatment full of unwanted sexual deviancy and blood and gore. The author should have stuck with the style, content and approach that is evident throughout the bulk of the book. Instead I feel that the author has essentially diminished the integrity of the whole novel because of the failings of the last part of the book .

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well & the Fell to Pieces, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
The first three quarters of this book were quite brilliant. It was a suspense filled ghost story to rival Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black" until suddenly it all went to pieces.
The beginning of the story is simple enough with the picture of a happy academic couple just approaching Christmas when their daughter is 4 years old. It all goes to pieces when their daughter, Naomi, disappears on a London shopping trip. Small clues from the start of the book start to take on a different meaning and all is very much not as it seems.
The author creates a very natural scene of a couple torn apart when they loose their only daughter. Strange sounds start in the house and pictures have extra people in them. This is all a very traditional style of ghost story which has brilliant suspense and leaves the reader not wanting to put it down. All the traditional ghost story props are there - photos, locked attics, things being moved & Jonathan Aycliffe really makes the most of them. He also takes things a step further with feelings of menace, overpowering hatred and lust.
Unfortunately the author is unable to sustain this level of writing and seems to go adrift in a big way. Instead of continuing the brilliant atmosphere and suspense of the ghost story it lurches into some sort of second rate horror story with mass murders and excessive descriptions of gore. In a matter of a couple of pages the atmosphere is gone and the reader is left feeling very cheated. Ghost stories should be full of suggestions and atmosphere so that the reader's own imagination takes over rather than descriptions of blood and gore.
I felt very cheated at the end of this book. The author could have arrived at the same ending whilst continuing with the same style of writing. There was no need to lurch into a second rate horror novel that didn't do his earlier writing justice. I really felt the writer let himself down. What caused this change - a rush for a deadline? The author ran out of steam? Who knows but it was terrible mistake on the part of the author and the publisher to allow this to happen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I bought this blindly for 99p. Having very little idea what I was about to read I started and was gripped from the beginning, or should I say 'for' the beginning. The first 1/3 of this book I would give 5 stars, the second, 4 and the final merely 3 which is what lowers my overall rating. Towards the end it feels like a different book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole thing but my enjoyment dwindled as the story went on. A good read, and well worth the 99p but not outstanding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
Interesting idea behind the novel. Twist at the end was unexpected. Quite atmospheric with some good descriptive writing. Initially I thought the novel would focus on a parent's descent into despair after the murder of their child, glad to say I was wrong. Opportunity for a follow-up novel, perhaps?

ARRAY(0xac20e6cc)