5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of terror.
Published 18 months ago by Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well & the Fell to Pieces
The first three quarters of this book were quite brilliant. It was a suspense filled ghost story to rival Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black" until suddenly it all went to pieces.
Published 6 months ago by DJF

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale of terror., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
My love of Aycliffe's work began with his Book The Lost which I bought by chance simply because I liked the cover. I hurriedly began hunting his other novels down and enthusiastically recommending his work to friends. Very few authors write ghost stories and creeping tales of dread and terror as well as he does. If you like M.R. James then you'll probably like Aycliffe, though Naomi's Room does become a little more grisly as it reaches it's shocking ending. It is such a shame nothing new has come from his pen in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book i have never forgotten, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
I read this book back in the early nineties when I was in my early 20s, I read mainly horror and ghost stories then
and this book really stood out among the rest.
it was one of the most creepiest books I think I have ever read then and since.
I cant remember the story very well but I certainly remember the feelings it gave me.
I passed it on to my mum when I had finished, I don't think she liked it very much, FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS
now ive found it on amazon I will read it again and hope it has stood the test of time. (forgive me if it hasn't)

it was creepy, spooky, not gory. just a great ghost story. I certainly have not found many others since that have not
disappointed me.

I hope you will give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely creepy, rough and brutal., 27 Jun 2013
Nurrie (NE Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
A really creepy horror story. Spooky and haunting. The writer manages to build up great atmospheres of terror. The plot reveals itself at good speed, with great need to keep turning the page. I read this within 2 nights, hooked on it. The writing is well crafted and flows nicely. The writer is excellent at describing the hauntings, sending a chill through my bones.

However, I felt the ending was rushed, surprising and cliche all at once. It felt like maybe an easy way out to end it, even if it quite a brutal way to end it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well & the Fell to Pieces, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Paperback)
The beginning of the story is simple enough with the picture of a happy academic couple just approaching Christmas when their daughter is 4 years old. It all goes to pieces when their daughter, Naomi, disappears on a London shopping trip. Small clues from the start of the book start to take on a different meaning and all is very much not as it seems.
The author creates a very natural scene of a couple torn apart when they loose their only daughter. Strange sounds start in the house and pictures have extra people in them. This is all a very traditional style of ghost story which has brilliant suspense and leaves the reader not wanting to put it down. All the traditional ghost story props are there - photos, locked attics, things being moved & Jonathan Aycliffe really makes the most of them. He also takes things a step further with feelings of menace, overpowering hatred and lust.
Unfortunately the author is unable to sustain this level of writing and seems to go adrift in a big way. Instead of continuing the brilliant atmosphere and suspense of the ghost story it lurches into some sort of second rate horror story with mass murders and excessive descriptions of gore. In a matter of a couple of pages the atmosphere is gone and the reader is left feeling very cheated. Ghost stories should be full of suggestions and atmosphere so that the reader's own imagination takes over rather than descriptions of blood and gore.
I felt very cheated at the end of this book. The author could have arrived at the same ending whilst continuing with the same style of writing. There was no need to lurch into a second rate horror novel that didn't do his earlier writing justice. I really felt the writer let himself down. What caused this change - a rush for a deadline? The author ran out of steam? Who knows but it was terrible mistake on the part of the author and the publisher to allow this to happen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I bought this blindly for 99p. Having very little idea what I was about to read I started and was gripped from the beginning, or should I say 'for' the beginning. The first 1/3 of this book I would give 5 stars, the second, 4 and the final merely 3 which is what lowers my overall rating. Towards the end it feels like a different book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole thing but my enjoyment dwindled as the story went on. A good read, and well worth the 99p but not outstanding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful layering of unease, unfortunately not sustained - SPOILER ALERT!, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
For about three quarters of this book I was swept up and admiring Aycliffe's ability to layer on unsettling, heart-pounding unease, in this story of a disappeared child. This was well-crafted, even M.R. Jamesian in its ability to unsettle and disturb the reader. Like some other reviewers I was unable to read this at night, settling for daylight hours only.

The story of a missing and then murdered child, and the investigation by her parents, particularly her father, and the sense of palpable, creeping, ghostly malevolent evil reminded me increasingly of The Omen [DVD] [1976], particularly when some rather gruesome and visceral shocks began to occur.

However, what began well and was sustained and intensifying, with the child's parents and other investigators getting chillingly increasingly disturbed by what they were begin to unravel, then began to descend, quickly and in an overdone fashion into schlocky and savagely described horror; in fact, the story changed genres. For the most part, the book had felt 'realistic' in the way that the best ghost writers do, but the final Liddley unravelling, and the segment with Charles' sister felt gratuitous, slasher horror fest. Unfortunately the book then unravelled backwards for me, with the character of Laura, in particular, becoming less and less plausible, as aspects of her behaviour and interior landscape, slightly strange at times as I read, being revealed as rather crass plot devices.

The bulk of the book was product of a much more psychologically clever and restrained imagination than the last section, which felt implausible, rushed, and curiously, as if it had run out of steam, as the various carefully teased out threads were suddenly covered in buckets of overdone gore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
Interesting idea behind the novel. Twist at the end was unexpected. Quite atmospheric with some good descriptive writing. Initially I thought the novel would focus on a parent's descent into despair after the murder of their child, glad to say I was wrong. Opportunity for a follow-up novel, perhaps?

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly dark and creepy - also slow, contrived and overworked, 26 Dec 2013
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
What a confusing novel. Some parts are superbly creepy and original but; when the plot moves into 'the attic' it falls into little more than cliche, the pitfall of many horror writers, and remains there far too long.

It's true to say the opening chapters are extremely good. I was hooked by the particularly dark themes and gory discoveries. Unfortunately, Aycliffe expands the plot too far taking his reader on a whirlwind trip from the traditional tale of a haunted house through to themes of Jack the Ripper, the history of the Huguenots, the philosophy of The Rosecrutionist's and scenes of modern torture. There's just too much going on and the strings holding all of that complexity together can be incredibly weak.

Aycliffe creates good tension when exploring the aftermath of the disappearance of a child. Those areas in which he reveals how a golden couple fall from the height of their comfortable, safe existence of academia, music and travel through to total destruction are harrowing and very, very believable. I was surprised at how far he took some of those themes and, later in the novel, expands them to include visceral scenes of abuse and torture. Those scenes are so far from the core of the plot they jar against it and appear to have been added just for effect.

It's not all bad, though chunks of it certainly are, and Aycliffe rescues his novel time and again with his excellent characterisation. He really is good at 'people' to the point I was genuinely moved at the plight of Naomi's parents. My only negative in that respect would have to be the absolute concentration on the father. After a while the endless view of what was going on inside the confines of his head began to irritate.

I loved the idea behind this story. A mix of dreadful ghouls, abduction, murder, madness and the slow uncovering of the real history of the house seemed too good to be true. At times Naomi's Room gave exactly what it promised and was both hugely entertaining and creepy. Unfortunately, I found myself endlessly irritated by the overly complex vocabulary, huge leaps away from the central plot and the use of completely random links to carry the story forward.

Overall Naomi's Room is worth a read. If you're a fan of the supernatural and read a lot of horror you might find yourself underwhelmed. In it's favour are the wide variety of twists and turns and the discovery of what really happened to Naomi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine tingling and chilling masterpiece, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book last December and it sat on my Kindle unread until yesterday when I thought I would give it a go completely unaware after so long even what the basic plot was. Needless to say I was not disappointed in it. Baring a likeness to Paranormal Activity, The Woman in Black, aspects of The Omen with some creepy 'twins' like in The Shining thrown in for good measure. I found myself reading at every available opportunity in my quest to find out what would happen, then having to sleep with a light on just in case. It is truly chilling and in parts quite graphic, but overall a really good read and I look forward to reading more of his books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish, 15 Jan 2013
S. E. Sewell (Bridgend UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naomi's Room (Kindle Edition)
This started off promisingly. I thought it was going to be a nail biting story. Unfortunately, it soon evolved into absolute nonsense. i personally don't believe in the supernatural, but if a book is well written, it can grip me. This, however, beggared belief. I didn't find any of the characters credible or likeable (except poor Naomi, who was wiped out early on) all I can say is I'm glad that it didn't cost me much to download onto my Kindle

Naomi's Room