5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring, must see, life-changing film
Hollywood blockbuster filmmaker Tom Shadyac's documentary "I AM" challenges our preconceptions and celebrates humankind's indomitable spirit. A cycle accident that left him incapacitated and a life-long passion for truth helped him discover our story about the world is a lie.
Published on 23 Feb. 2012 by Niki Collins-queen, Author

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but a tad patronising
This is an interesting watch, full of promise and advice from thinkers about what our philosophy for life should be and that it should not focus on money.
Published on 16 Oct. 2012 by PJG

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring, must see, life-changing film, 23 Feb. 2012
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
He poses two practical questions: what's wrong with the world and what can we do to make it better? This non-fiction film combines profound, deep ideas from great thinkers, humor and Tom's own extraordinary story.
With great wit, warmth, curiosity and masterful story telling Tom shows what science is revealing. He says, "My hope is that I AM is a window into Truth, a glimpse into the miracle, the mystery and magic of who we really are, and of the basic nature of the connection and unity of all things."
Tom's interviews with scientists, psychologists, artists, environmentalists, authors, activists, philosophers, entrepreneurs and others reveal how for tens of thousands of years Indigenous cultures taught a very different story about humankind's inherent goodness. Now, following the ancient wisdom science is discovering we really are hardwired for connection and compassion. The heart, not the brain, is our primary organ of intelligence. From the Vagus Nerve which releases oxytocin when witnessing a compassionate act, to the Mirror Neuron which causes us to literally feel another's pain. Human consciousness and emotions affect the physical world.
Cooperation not competition is nature's most fundamental operating principle. Time-lapse photography shows consensus decision-making is the norm amongst insects, birds, deer and primates.
Research shows we function better and remain healthy when expressing the positive emotions of love, care, compassion and gratitude. Darwin in the "Decent of Man"uses the word love 95 times and the phrase "survival of the fittest" only twice. Darwin said humankind's real power comes in our ability to perform complex tasks together, to sympathize and to cooperate.
Greed, war, hunger, poverty and the environmental crisis are symptoms of a larger endemic problem. In some cultures gross materialism is equated with insanity and money is not seen as a pathway to happiness. As Gandi said, "Live simply, so others might simply live." Take only what you need as the remainder is needed by others. Tom shows in the film how nature takes only what it needs. The giant redwood doesn't take all the nutrients from the soil, only what it needs. The lion doesn't kill every gazelle, only what it needs.
Tom says change begins with a deeper transformation. It's as much about what can I do as who I can be. When I transform my being action naturally follows.
Best selling author Marianne Williamson calls "I AM" a spark of light and a work of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY., 7 April 2013
This review is from: I Am [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I would recommend this DVD to everyone......who is going through a period of disillusionment, and realizing that our happiness isn't coming from material wealth. There is a worldwide awareness coming through (it has been happening for many years now) and more people are questioning the EXCESSIVE material values. The world is in a great transition and the INFORMATION found in this DVD is confirmation for those who are feeling the changes.
Hopefully it will help people all over the world to stop giving their power away and start taking 'personal responsibilityfor their own lives'.
Well done Tom Sadyac for having the courage to bring these issues to light.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully uplifting and optimistic film, you will want to share it, 4 July 2013
This review is from: I Am [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I stumbled across this film by "accident". It is an incredible movie a personal journey of one person but a journey we are all taking. If you like to discover what is really happening on the planet and what your role is you will love it. Despite all the negativity out there there is a lot of positive things happening as we grow and adapt and search for direction. The best film I have seen in years and you will want to share it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: I Am [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Others have gone into detail about the film so I won't. What I will say though is that it was absolutely brilliant. Clear, impactful, honest and inspiring... I would highly recommend it to all and sundry as an insightful, honest but extremely uplifting film. I appreciate so much that he made this film and that I "discovered" it, I hope many others will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Feb. 2013
Funny, insightful, and inspiring! I would recommend this to anyone seeking a more meaningful life and how to help the world through dark times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but a tad patronising, 16 Oct. 2012
PJG "Pups" (epping, essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These thinkers were not sourced from all around the world, 99% were home grown. It would have been good to get more varied perspectives from different cultures who, more than likely, would have been even harsher critics of the 'American Dream.'
I agree with the point being made, but this point is always diluted when we are preached to by someone with unimaginable wealth - Suddenly, when you have complete finacial security, money is not important.- Tom Shadyac apparently now lives in a mobile home, but I was left wondering what he has done with all his houses and wealth. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't give it all away, but having used himself as an example it would have been good to know how far he'd gone.
I'd also be interested in where the profits for this film went, since its maker clearly does not need more money and claims to have no yearning for it. If the profit was handed to the more needy, then the spirit of the film will have been adheared to.
Ultimately, the film should ignite debate about what is important to us. America is a country with a lower literacy rate than its neighbour, Cuba, a country it keeps in poverty with a spiteful blockade. Despite a lack of money and medicine, Cuba has better healthcare and education systems than the Superpower next door. Shadyac's message should also be considered during the current election campaigns, a fake circus, believed to be costing more than $3billion dollars. The more money there is in politics the less democracy there can be. This $3billion could be used to educate or medicate, making a real difference to people's lives and creating ripples of happiness around a country that seems to exist as little more than a market place for large corporations and wealthy entrepeneurs like Tom Shadyac; before he saw the light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should see this movie!, 18 Mar. 2013
The answer to the cosmi question "why are we here?" With a Hollywood spin. Required viewing.
Every parent should show this to thier child too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not very multidimentional views and knowledge. Expected a lot deeper spiritual journey!, 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: I Am [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
It is a film, through which the good nature of its maker transpires, but it is made solely from the light polarity point of view, that everything is love and good, which of course it is NOT the dominating force on Earth, as we can all see only by turning our heads around. Therefore it isn't the truth, but some sugary, unrealistic vision of it. This is a dangerous drug that lifts you up and makes you hopeful for its duration and then you have to face the reality again. If only it was made more radically, with a bigger picture in mind, explaining the existing Paradigm, rather than what we want it to be, it would have been a very good film. Shadyac can give me a call if he wants to make a really, really deep film with relevant and enlightening information (for this planet)... How many people exactly you've made happy by moving to a caravan and giving up your comfortable life? It just doesn't work this way. Dear Tom, giving up your wealth it does not automatically get dispersed to the poor around the world. With the advantage of who you are and the resources available to you (and I don't mean money) you could have made a very interesting film.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate, really speaks from the heart about the world today, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: I Am [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Tom Sadyac has made a DVD with a heart and concern for the world today. Backed up by science. I would like everyone to see it and be moved to be part of the change we need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected joy, 28 May 2014
This review is from: I Am [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This was supported by some excellent science. There were so many points where I wanted to stop and explore a bit further. I will definitely be recommending this (or even gifting it) to people I know. Totally uplifting, inspirational and transforming experience. I will certainly be thinking about my share of the world's wealth and how I can be in order to enrich the lives of others. My only criticism is that, for me, it seemed to lose its punch a bit towards the end. The message got a bit dilute and not as neatly tied up as the rest of the film, but then that was a hard act to follow.

I Am [DVD] [2010]
I Am [DVD] [2010] by Tom Shadyac (DVD - 2013)