5.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful English repression.
Cheerful Weather for the Wedding is based on a 1932 novella by Julia Strachey, now published by Persephone books. Coming in at only 1 hour and 30 minutes it's a short film but I enjoyed every minute of it. I really loved the book when I read it and I haven't been disappointed in the film.

On the morning of her wedding bride-to-be Dolly is hiding in her bedroom...
Published 18 months ago by Charliecat

3.0 out of 5 stars "Legendary" British quirkiness.
Published 9 months ago by Lola

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful English repression., 16 Jan 2013
Charliecat (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)

On the morning of her wedding bride-to-be Dolly is hiding in her bedroom taking surreptitious sips of rum from the bottle and considering that she might be making a rather terrible mistake.

Meanwhile, downstairs her many and various relatives are arriving bringing the usual chaos, humour, and misery. The reason for Dolly's despondency, as it turns out, is her former lover Joseph who arrives on the scene irritating Dolly's mother (Elizabeth McGovern) beyond endurance and really throwing a spanner in the works.

Interspersed with the day of the wedding we see rosy glimpses of the summer before when Dolly and Joseph first met and their developing love affair.

It's all terribly English full of repressed emotions and moments of very funny comedy mostly from the friends and relatives. Special mention must go to Ellie Kendrick as Dolly's sister, Kitty, who is brilliant at being both very funny and a completely irritating younger sister and to Felicity Jones who I think we will be seeing a lot more of in the future.

It's nothing like Downton Abbey and it's not supposed to be. It's far more convincing, subtle and much funnier. Think more along the lines of E.M Forster's A Room with a View or Stella Gibbon's Cold Comfort Farm. A really delightful film for a winter's day.

4.0 out of 5 stars An honourable failure, 25 Mar 2013
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This low budget adaptation of a 1923 novel highly praised by Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury set fails ultimately as there are too many flashbacks to the "golden" days of a lost love and not enough plot and motivational development within the contemporary setting of the story. That said it is beautifully shot, well acted by some very talented British stalwart actors and quite moving in its portrayal of unrequited love. Don't expect "Four Weddings and a Funeral" or a fast moving rom-com - this movie certainly does not deliver on those fronts. But if you are looking for a gentle bitter-sweet tale, full of richly observed characters and subtle comic nuance, you might just enjoy this ambitious, if flawed, production. I certainly did - although it ultimately left me feeling it could - with better plot development - have been a very fine little British feature, rather than the unfinished and rather disappointing end result we have here. That said the blu ray is not bad - good detail if a little washed out - and an audio track which makes surprisingly effective use of the rear speakers in ways you would not expect considering the subject matter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy adaptation, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Perfectly captures the period, as well as the seething undertones of a family wedding. Slow burn story with an explosive finish. Looks beautiful too. Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This movie was so long-winded and there wasn't enough depth in the story line to retain our interest. We have since donated it to the local Hospice Shop. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, boring, boring..., 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
First of all just because Elisabeth is so popular because of Downton Abbey (which I love) it was - in my opinion- a mistake to cast her. She was aweful!! We were suppose to dislike her but NOTHING happened, we were told that she is untolerable but we did not see that. It was bad, bad, bad!!! The love story was another shame. It never happened! I was keep waiting to find out all the resons and see that amazing love and passion but - maybe its just me- I failed to see it. I liked the sister, I think she played her part really well. Also that "sour" woman and her husband! Brilliant acting!! Marvelous! Overall I couldnt wait to finish this movie and BELIEVE me Im a hopeless romantic. I wouldnt recommend this film to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Legendary" British quirkiness., 6 Oct 2013
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I rented "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" as I enjoy watching Felicity Jones on screen (who is versatile, which this film proves, and is steadily becoming a great British actress, one film at a time). The whole cast is good, I especially loved the role of a sister Kitty (brilliantly played by Ellie Kendrick) who provides the audience with innocence and simplicity that expose so much about what everyone else is really thinking but just can't bring themselves to say. Yes, there is a lot of "legendary" British stiffness and eccentricity and inability to express one's feeling directly.

Don't expect a rom-com, this is a slow developing (with frequent flashback to the past) sad love story, but full of quirky characters and glorious one-liners. In my opinion, a viewer would have benefitted further if more of the background and story story was shown (after all, this is an adaptation of a good book!). And the final twist? I did not feel shocked or surprised by it, even though it came out of the blue.

"Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" is not a crowd pleaser, it's peculiar and at times slow, but I enjoyed it. Saying that, I am glad I just rented it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry!, 18 May 2013
P. Hulme - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I really found this film really depressing, it seemed to go on for ages and got nowhere.
I have to say the costumes, surroundings etc. where brilliant. But not the film.
Could be just me, so give it a try! Thankfully it was quite inexpensive

It arrive in good condition, earlier that said, and well packaged. Good Seller.

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 1 Mar 2013
Mr. Leong Wai Hong (Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
The premise is good. The scenery nice. Unfortunately the film somehow was not too inspiring. Perhaps there were too many characters thrown in and not enough time for character development.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't say I would watch it again though., 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
The cast were very good but I found the story line a bit weak so not thrilled although it was simple to follow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., 16 Feb 2013
Rena Lyons (Athens,Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This was not what I expected from viewing the trailer. It was not a comedy, subtle or otherwise. I found it slow and basically dull.

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding [DVD] [2012]