4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good
Published 23 months ago by Marauder

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
bought for our grand son so guess he likes it as he asked for it
Published 2 months ago by Mrs. S. J. Osborne

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 22 April 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
If I'm honest I'm really not the kind of person who listens to rap...ever. However, after hearing Thrift Shop and really liking it, funny, catchy etc. I wondered what else the two had done. My friend showed me and I instantly found it very interesting. There is something slightly unique, I think anyway, about this album; a breath of fresh air. The lyrics are clever and engaging, the music is often soulful and quite relaxing actually, not like any other rap I'd heard before (although I'm sure I've only heard a small minority of rappers so I'm not saying there aren't others like that!) Those artists who feature in this album are great. Their vocals help back up Macklemore's rapping by providing refreshing breaks from the rap. The song "Same Love" was just not what I was expecting, but really good and a supportive nod from Macklemore to Gay rights, you can't fault that. A really good album overall, buy it and you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
I loved this album, great lyrics, Amazing beats and fantastic tunes. Ryan Lewis makes some amazing music and Macklemore's voice gels so well with it. "Can't hold us" makes me want to fly and "Gold" puts me in a good mood no matter what's happening. I would recommend this album in a heart beat! It's not just for the young'uns either ........ I'm pushing 40!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album with meaning and relevance, 14 Mar. 2013
S. Macaulay (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
From The ills of homophobia to commercialism this album is layered with messages relevant to society today. A refreshing change to the usual mindless 'ho's and cash' rampant in hip hop today. The liberal swearing may put many parents off especially for younger kids. But I am comfortable that my son knows where is and isn't appropriate to use such language.

I heard thrift shop and decided I would buy it for my son (ok and myself lol), but after listening to the samples and the diverse range of sounds on the album It seemed worth a go, 15 great songs, a few are growers but I cant remember the last time I bought an album and enjoyed so many of the songs on there without wanting to skip half of them!

Hip hop with a difference, I hope this inspires more of its kind, I wuld definitely recommend it !

5.0 out of 5 stars How hip hop should be, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Heist (Cln) (Audio CD)
Unfortunately hip hop with something to say is not the norm in popular music today. Thank you macklemore a thought provoking album with clever lyrics and big bold sharp beats. Cheers lads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
I only found out about Macklemore when I saw the music video of "Thrift Shop". I completely fell in love with the song, and I got curious as to see if he had made any other songs. I realised that he has been around for a few years, and again, fell in love with other songs of his...namely "And We Danced" and "The Town". I'm not a fan of POP music - mainly as everyone copies eachother, using the same beat, repeating the same verse over and over etc. However, the POP style songs Macklemore has on this album and in fact that he's made before are all caricatures and are so enjoyable!! I can not recommend this album highly enough for people who love songs that have a real meaning. Macklemore points out everything that is wrong with this world, but in a way that doesn't make you want to kill yourself. It makes you want to change. Please buy this album, this guy needs as much supprt as possible, and I truely hope he does well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Independent Brilliance, 8 Nov. 2012
Great album, Macklemore is a very intelligent lyricist who clearly raps from the heart.
Highlights of the album for me are 'A Wake', 'Same Love' and 'Thrift Shop'. I heard 'Can't Hold Us' and 'Make The Money' a while before the album came out so they didn't have the exciting, fresh feeling of the other songs but they are also incredible songs. Honestly, the whole album is great and I would wholeheartedly recommend this album to anyone looking for a new sound.
A special mention should also go to Ryan Lewis who produced the album because the beats are all fantastic, innovative and, importantly, varied.

4.0 out of 5 stars love the album, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
came all sealed in erfect condiditon however i new it had explicit lyrics but this was not mentioned in the advert and there was no sticker on the box

5.0 out of 5 stars So so so good..If you enjoy lyrics, its a must buy!, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
I rarely write reviews unless I desperately wanna share something good, and this album definitely should be shared!It isn't the sort of album that I thought I would enjoy! A friend said it was really good, but I wasn't too fussed, so just thought I would listen to it on Spotify as background music while doing some work. Then started to pay attention because there were some songs that really stood out. The next day I decided to listen to it properly and was really impressed! Now I've bought it, I actually can't get enough!

My favourite tracks are 'Thin Line', 'Gold', 'Jimmy Iovine' is quite a funny one, 'Starting Over' has some really meaningful lyrics about overcoming drug/alcohol dependency and 'Cowboy Boots' adds a different sound for the last track. But it's one of those albums that you can listen to the whole way through without skipping any tracks..I really enjoy them all!

A definite 10/10 for me, I really hope Macklemore and Ryan Lewis blow up in 2013!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense, well made, high quality, inspiring and entertaining music, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
Amazing songwriting, finally some good subjects to talk about, beautiful and stunning original beats. Coming from the independent industry, this album has topped everyone else in the modern rap world, imo. An album that deserves repeated listenings, and a good study of the lyrics. Truly inspiring and moving, and some of the best beats I've heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
i listened to the whole album online and i couldn't bare to pirate it somewhere off the net,it deserved a purchase and it was well worth it.If possible try and buy the deluxe edition for some more songs!

The Heist
The Heist by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Audio CD - 2013)