5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, simply stunning
Published 4 months ago by Chris A

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Quality Control
Received the monitor and although the picture looked amazing, I did have massive backlight bleed issues and two very bright areas when viewing a page of white (no dead pixels though). Monitor has since gone back to the seller in the hopes that they are able to provide a replacement without these issues, but I'm not hopeful. Will update my review if the replacement is any...
Published 6 months ago by darkcircuituk

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, simply stunning, 4 Dec 2013
Chris A "chris_store" (From my undersea lair) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic VP2770-LED 27 inch Widescreen HD High Resolution Professional Monitor (Personal Computers)
well after more than a year of considering various 1440 monitors, and other options, I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a vp2770. I came very close to ordering a Dell u2711 a few months ago, but I couldnt help feel it was old tech. I then nearly ordered a Dell u2713hm, but there were so many quality issues it seemed too much risk, despite a very good price. So after much searching I narrowed my choice down to the Viewsonic VP2770 or the dark horse benq bl2711pt, the only two other reasonably priced 1440p monitors not using PWM for brightness control. Both monitors were north of 500 at the time, which I felt was not justifiable, until November when Amazon and other retailers began to sell the vp2770 for as low as 440. So I have bought one from Amazon.

I dont have a colour calibrator, another reason for getting the pre-calibrated vp2770.

My only dissappointment with the VP2770 is a lack of built in speakers, which I quickly rectified with my JBL Creatures. Initially I did a quick evaluation: there was no back light bleed, dead or stuck pixels or any other screen issues. One very minor quibble was that the screen is not quite level, it is about 15mm lower on one side than the other, I think if I loosen off the screws between screen and stand I would be able to adjust this, but I may not be bothered enough to do this.

After a quick play on a few games, I concluded that the monitor is simply stunning. Especially Skyrim as I had already downloaded the official HD pack for this a couple of days ago.

Also browsed some family photos on my hard drive and was very impressed at the life like tones. No apple style oversaturation, very realistic.

I have run some langom checks and adjusted the sharpness to 75%. Brightness lowered to 20%, contrast left at default (75%?). Left it on standard colour for now. Switched to advanced for motion display.

No noticable bias in colour pallet of the screen. Some report blue or red shift, but it seems very neutral to me. I have no calibrator to confirm this. Note that to benefit from the factory calibration you need to swap to the sRGB mode, but for now I am using the standard mode which seems as good for colour as sRGB mode, but also gives you control over brightness and contrast.

Overall the VP2770 is a massive step up from my old and trusty Viewsonic VG2230 TN. Was it worth 460 odd? time will tell, but so far no buyers remorse.

After a couple of weeks fairly solid use with the VP2770 now, it is still quite a change to get use to. The main change is the sheer size of the monitor, having gone from 22 at 16:10 to 27 at 16:9. I don't get that narrow letterbox feeling that I do if I see a 16:9 24 inch display, instead I just feel the monitor has just stretched further to each side. This reflects the fact that the monitor is about an inch higher but about 2-3 inches wider on each side compared to my original 16:10 22" monitor.

The other major change is the clarity and crispness of the display. Essentially the detail of the image exceeds my eyes ability to see it, only if I look from about 10" or closer to the screen do I start to see individual pixels.

The final major change to me is the colour accuracy. My old VG2230 was never very good for colours, it always had a tan tint and significant variations in brightness, contrast and colour with vertical angle. So much so that looking straight on you would see changes around the screen. Of course one gets use to this, but now with the VP2770 such variation is almost eliminated. Colours are even and so is contrast and brightness. Now the only variation is due to ambient light or a small amount of IPS glow. I am still stunned by this display.

Living with the VP2770...

Firstly, as I mentioned, I have put the display back to medium font size, it is a good balance between my eyes and screen 'real estate'. My wife is currently using the default font/icons sizes so I will continue to explore this and may change to the small size.

One of my first actions was to download some 2560x1440 wallpapers, as the standard windows 7 ones are only 1200p and looked blurred. Needless to say the effect was amazing. Since my eyesight is so bad I cannot actually resolve landscapes with my own eyes at the detail I can see now on the wallpapers of landscapes on this monitor, so for me it has extra impact, i.e. to me everything is clearer than in real life (hyperealistic if you will), someone with good eyesight will probably not get this effect.

At work I have a pair of new dell u2412ms and a u2410 so I can draw some comparisons: Firstly the Dells are great, no doubt. And for what I need at work they are excellent. Plus they are excellent value for money, so I fully understand their popularity. At work I use a lot of excel and word type document as well as CAD and CAM (aerospace engineer by profession). The colour on these IPS monitors is clearly better than TN. However I was not sure if the extra resolution on the VP2770 would be advantageous or not before I got it. Well now I have had a chance to use it I can say it really does make a difference. Especially to graphics. If I was editing photos I think the extra resolution would be very beneficial. Likewise the need to display large excel charts would be eased by the combination of resolution and wider screen. My uses at home are more mundane web browsing, and game playing (more on this later) and video watching. With the exception of games the only advantage really is the extra screen real estate. All of the improvements in clarity, colour and sharpness are there, but they aren't needed they are just very, very, very nice. At this point I need to mention that watching videos on this monitor is a real treat. I have watched some HD you tube videos and was amazed. Here the VP2770 provides a 27" at 16:9 screen area with great colour balance, it is excellent, but as I comment below you would get this with a 27" 1080p IPS display for half the cost. Perhaps for this use a 1080P 27" monitor is even better as you have one to one pixel mapping rather than a scaled image on a 1440p. I might seek out some 1440p video to compare, though I expect this will only be computer generated fare rather than true video.

My wife uses the same monitor/PC to run an online business and for her there will be more substantial gains, she edits photos for the web and does web site mods and has to run several applications at once. For her the improved colours, screen width and screen real estate are significant improvements. However she would never have asked for them, or paid for them. For her a u2412m would have been just as good.

So then why did I buy it?

Well for games of course. Even though I only game occasionally, I have built my new PC around the requirement to play games at 2560x1440, so I needed the VP2770 to complete the project. If this monitor lasts 5 years I will be more than satisfied with it as value for money, likewise with the rest of the system.

So how do I rate the monitor for games?...EXCELLENT

I have only had a couple of hours gaming, but it is really very very good. The extra width, improved colours and resolution make for a more immersive and engaging experience. As I mentioned the best so far has been skyrim, one of my favourite games at the moment, the HD resolution pack for this is shown off very nicely on the VP2770. I don't see any lag or streaking etc. Clearly Skyrim is not a shooter, I will be trying those shortly. Probably a 27" 16:9 1080p IPS monitor would have been 80-90% as good as this at half the price, so really I have paid an extra 200+ for the additional resolution. Was it worth it? If money is an issue then I would certainly suggest considering a full HD monitor instead (ideally a 27"), especially as you could have two monitors for the price of the VP2770. I can't have two monitors because I only have a tiny desk in a tiny room (a bigger house is a whole lot more expensive than a monitor after all), and I set out to build a 1440p machine. I think the question of whether it is worth spending the extra money to get the extra pixels is a difficult question to answer definitively as so much depend on circumstance, if you have the money and the GPU then go for it. If however this is not so easy, then I can say that I don't feel you would be missing out so much to stick at 1080p (for gaming and video playback at least).

I will comment more on in a few days when I have had more chance to explore the potential of gaming on the VP2770.

UPDATE

Three months after my purchase I am still really enjoying this monitor. It is great. I have even more monitors at work now as I have a pair of 24" Dell P2412H on a new workstation as well as my original pair of U2412m and single u2410 so I can now compare three generations of Dell LCD monitor with my personal Viewsonic VP2770. All are very nice, IPS technology on all three is a major improvement over the cheaper TN that my old monitors had. Actually I think the Viewsonic uses as slightly different but very similar screen technology PLS. Anyway in practice all four models (VP2770, U2412m, P2412H and U2410) have excellent colours, great uniformity and crystal clear pictures (to a point). However the P2412H screens are only 1080P, which even on a 24" is noticably less clear than the u2412m, though it is subtle. I guess that on a 27" 1080P would be signficantly less clear than a 1440P monitor such as a VP2770. So if you can I would definitely recommend a 1440P screen such as the VP2770 if you want a 27" screen. Another thing I dislike about the P2412H is the 16:9 screen ratio at this diagonal size is too small, it really feels too short compaired to at 24" 16:10. However at 27" diagonal a 16:9 screen is very good, the screen is a nice height and width, I think it may be the perfect form factor for a computer monitor. A cheaper alternative to the VP2770 is the u2412m, which I would recommend as well, it is well made and has a very good picture, and I think the aspect ratio is the best for a 24" screen, better than a 1080p 24" like the P2412H.

The VP2770 is solidly built and performs well, and is now reasonably priced given it specification, so I would certainly recommend it.

I should also mention that the VP2770 comes with all the leads you need. From memory it includes: power lead (UK), dual link DVI, VGA , display port, usb hub up link, audio jack. Note that if you use DVI you should use the included cable as it has the ability to transmit the full 1440P picture whereas most DVI cables are not dual link and therefore cannot exceed 1200P I believe, Displayport does not have this limitation. I chose to use Displayport as it has even higher bandwidth than dual link DVI and is more flexable cable with a less bulky plug. All the cables included are good quality judging by their weight and girth, so I don't think there is any need to rush out for some 'premium' cable. There is also a DVD in the box which has some drivers, but isn't really needed as the monitor was recognised straight away by Windows 7.

One note of caution, be careful when unpacking the screen from it's massive box. There are no hand holds and the screen comes with the upright attached but not the three pronged foot. It is fairly heavy and of course large, but there are no convenient places to hold it without touching the screen. Initially when I lifted it out I thought I had broken off the cable management hooks on the back as I lifted it using the upright that the foot attaches to. However it turned out that these were designed to detach as they are held on with a sticky patch not rigidly attached as I thought. Since there are no hand holds on the screen there is the potential for an unfortunate incident, e.g. dropping it, so be careful.

There are lots of settings in the monitor menu, and as ever the PDF manual does not expain them all that well, but at least you have plenty of controls.

I will update further at a later date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Nov 2013
Let me get to the point. This is the best monitor I've ever used, full stop.

No dead pixels, just the typical (and unavoidable) IPS/PLS glow, (NOT to be confused with backlight bleed, as there is none on this unit).

Response time is stellar for a panel of this type, just be sure to use the middle "Advanced" setting in the OSD, not Ultra. If you're a gamer, you're not going to find a better name-brand 1440p display in terms of input lag. It's better than many TN panels..

Colour calibration was very good out of the box, a little tweaking with Windows calibration toned down the slight red push. Contrast to 75 and Brightness to 24, and some sort of bias lighting behind the display yields excellent results.

If you're looking for a quality 1440p display, I reckon this is one of the best consumer models on the market (NEC and EIZO have better offerings, but at more than twice the price!). Viewsonic Europe also has a zero dead pixel policy.

I use a U2713HM at work, sadly, and the matte screen coating is rubbish, distorted and unattractive, this is a much better display.

This thing also comes with a great selection of cables (DP, DVI, VGA, mains, USB 3.0, audio) but does not have an HDMI input, you'll need a DVI to HDMI adaptor that's not included.

I should mention that the stand allows the monitor to be raised very high (and rotated 90 degrees to portrait), but it sits a few inches higher than the typical 27" at its lowest setting in landscape, and the base is very very sturdy but takes up a fair amount of desk space.

I paid 505 for mine and feel well served, and it's less expensive now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning monitor for high resolution gaming, 4 Jan 2014
Christopher Reay (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This is a 27 inch 2560x1440 (1440p) monitor which uses PLS panel technology (Plane Line Switching). PLS is Samsung’s take on LG’s IPS (In Plane Switching) which has been around for several years. These panels have much better colours than the more common and cheaper TN (Twisted Nematic) panels but can suffer from input lag. The same panel is used by several competing monitors but the effectiveness normally depends on the implementation.

This Viewsonic monitor has a wide range of inputs (DVI, HDMI etc) and USB2 and USB3 ports. I use the monitor mainly for gaming so only use DVI and my motherboard’s USB ports but they are all there if you need them. It doesn’t have any speakers which is not a loss as monitor speakers are normally cheap and tinny. The power brick is internal so only a simple kettle lead is needed to connect it.

The monitor has height, tilt and rotate adjustment and can be swung through 90 degrees into portrait mode. This latter feature makes it easier to connect power and DVI leads. The screen uses LED backlighting which allows for a fairly thin screen and saves power compared to screens using CCFL lamps for backlighting. The stand is rugged and the build quality very good. It is not a pretty monitor but looks solid and functional. It is also very sturdy and doesn’t wobble.

I upgraded to this monitor from a 24 inch 1920x1200 HP LP2475w which was the premier IPS screen of a few years ago. I was hoping the colours would be of a similar quality and am not disappointed. The Viewsonic uses a native 8 bit panel like the HP and can even emulate 10 bit if required. The colours look great and the overall impression I get is it is slightly more vibrant than the HP. Reviews suggest the Viewsonic is not as good on static contrast as some competing screens but blacks look nice and inky to me and I can pick out varying shades of grey so I do not think this is an issue.

The monitor uses touch sensitive OSD buttons which are a bit fiddly to use but are very discreet (you do not adjust the screen often anyway) and provide many adjustments. Out of the box the screen uses its native setting but the brightness is at its maximum of 100 and is blinding. If you turn the brightness down to the mid twenties this native setting looks fantastic. The panel has been factory calibrated and this setting can be accessed by switching to the RGB preset in the OSD. If you are doing colour critical work this is the setting you should use as it is the most accurate. The brightness and contrast are locked using this setting but they are sensible values anyway. I use my monitor mainly for gaming so I experimented with the custom setting which lets you set red, green and blue individually. I’m currently using red 100, green 96 and blue 93 with brightness 26 and contrast 70 (which is the default contrast). This looks better to my eye but it comes down to personal taste. There are also presets for a warm colour temperature, a cool colour temperature and a bluish colour temperature which some may like. The only other setting I have changed is the response time which I changed from standard to advanced to remove ghosting. As regards input lag I play mainly fast paced shooters and have not noticed any. I did not notice any with my HP IPS screen either so perhaps this drawback of IPS/PLS panels is overstated.

When I was looking for a new monitor I did a lot of research using sites such as TFT Central and Prad. Some popular makes seemed to be suffering from build quality issues making buying one a lottery. Many others were using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control brightness. This means the screen is actually flickering really quickly and can cause some people headaches and eyestrain. I decided I didn’t want to risk discovering I’m PWM sensitive. The only screen with good build quality and non PWM backlighting receiving good reviews was this Viewsonic. However it was over 100 more expensive than competing monitors. Within a week though Amazon slashed 100 off the price so I bought one.

Viewsonic have a zero bright pixel policy so I loaded up a pixel tester and confirmed my panel had no bright, dead or stuck pixels. However when I checked the backlight consistency using a black screen on maximum brightness there were a couple of brighter patches. You sometimes see brighter patches in the corners of IPS/PLS screens which disappear if you move your head so you are looking head on. This is not backlight bleed but IPS/PLS glow and is not a fault as it is just reflections causing it. Mine was true backlight bleed which is a defect. It was minor but when you are aware of it you cannot stop looking for it so it becomes a major distraction. I asked Amazon for a replacement and they collected the defective monitor and gave me a replacement within two days. The replacement has no defective pixels and the backlight is as consistent as any I have seen so this panel is about as perfect as you can get.

To summarise, this monitor has great colours, plenty of input options, a customisable stand, great build quality, no discernable input lag and a zero bright pixel policy. The price looks quite high but my smaller HP cost the same five years ago. Unlike graphics cards, cpu’s etc the technology is much slower moving with screens so this is a long term investment. I highly recommend this monitor.

P.s. For top quality 1440p gaming I’ve paired this screen with Nvidia’s new GTX780 Ti. This graphics card is so powerful it runs my games on this huge panel easily. You no longer need to battle with the vagaries of multi gpu set ups at this resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive monitor for the price, 26 Dec 2013
Was in two minds about upgrading my 23" Asus monitor which had served me well over the last few years but I had recently upgraded my laptop to the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus which has a retina beating resolution of 3,200 x 1,800 which made using the Asus as my second monitor jarring due to the massive difference in DPI. While this monitor isn't as sharp as the laptop screen, it is much better than the Asus it replaced and I can have 4 full sized windows open now, great for spreadsheet work and working with multiple windows. One thing that made me hesitate was the fear that the full 2560 X 1440 resolution of the Viewsonic couldn't be driven from the HDMI port - thankfully I had been misinformed (the internet is not always right!) and my laptop happily drives it from the micro HDMI port.

All in all, a great monitor, looks a little bulky perhaps due to the larger bezel but a great Xmas present to myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars MAC OWNERS BEWARE!!, 13 Feb 2014
I have just purchased one of these to use with my MacBook Pro while at my desk. However when I first plugged it in I was only achieving 1080p, rather than the optimised 2560x1440. This was the same either through HDMI or standard DVI. It turns out you need the additional Apple Dual-Link DVI adapter (NOT the standard MiniDisplayPort to DVI) to get the resolution up to speed on this unit (and probably others like it). This adapter plugs at the Mac end into the Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt on newer models) and one USB port. The USB is to provide the adapter with power, but it does give you an unpowered USB port to make up for it at the other end. You then attach the screen using the DVI cable, and boom, full resolution. Get the adapter from Amazon as it's much cheaper than direct from Apple, just make sure you get the Apple genuine one!

Once you get there, you'll see it was worth the extra expense and hassle. Great screen, fantastic stand. I'd rather buy this than the Apple Cinema Display, and even with the cost of the extra adapter this is still around 400 cheaper!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good monitor, 14 Jan 2014
I search a 27 inch 2560*1440 monitor for a long time. include acer, dell, asus, eizo,nec, apple ......you name it. At the end I come down to this one. I know Asus and Dell got really got rating at many place. and there may be many test on all those monitor. But at the end they are not much different in most of time. However this ViewSonic does offer a bit extra than others, it come with a build in colour sRGB calibrate to make sure the color you see in lightroom and photoshop will be same as you print out. I am not saying dell or asus can not be adjust to same level of color accuracy. But the fact is many of us can not see the very little difference in color and it is painful to adjust the color by eye, because after few min the eye start loss it sense on very little change of color. So the build in sRGB color calibrate is a useful and important function to have. If you looking for a monitor to do Photoshop your picture and do not want spend twice or more money for Eizo or Nec, this is the best option in the market. I also use this monitor play games, details are good, response time is good as well. No dead pix, leach etc. I also have a old Acer 22 inch run side by side with this one, the improvement in color, contrast, etc are very noticeable. very happy I bought this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing screen, 11 Jan 2014
Bought this to replace an Asus screen which had a dead pixel. I did my research to find another brand that had less QC issues - I settled on this and I was not disappointed. No problems whatsoever, great picture quality... What else to say? No on board speakers could be seen as a downside I suppose... But it does exactly what is says it should - give an amazing picture quality.

I'm not an expert so I haven't tested it out in any particular way, and I haven't tried all the settings (the default seems perfect to me), but for me it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch monitor, 20 Mar 2014
OK, I'm not an expert in monitors, I'm not a discerning photorapher that requires perfect colour reproduction. I bought this as a second monitor for doing Electronics PCB design.. immediately set it up as my primary monitor as it knocks the socks off my smaller 24" BenQ monitor! The higher resolution is definitely worth it, my desktop is now MAHOOSIVE! :-) its a very clear picture, I haven't spotted any dead pixels, variations in brightness or anything less than top notch image quality.

Was dead easy to install, although I had to use the primary DVI port on my GFX card to get the full 2560 X 1440 resolution (took me a few minutes to work that one out). I could have used Displayport, however this would have required buying a new cable as the connector on my GFX card is the mini type, and incompatible with the supplied cable (I have XFX radeon 6950)

Would thoroughly recommend this monitor to anyone :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, 16 Feb 2014
Bit of backlight beelding etc, but you have to look for problems to find them. The base is a bit big and I would to get closer to wall behind. Lots of cable and connector options.

5.0 out of 5 stars !st class picture, 16 Jan 2014
Ist class picture adjusted the birghtness down when using office word excel verry bright (Lots of white)
The only problem supplyed with Uropean 2 pin mains lead used the one from old monitor.

ARRAY(0xa845ea08)