5.0 out of 5 stars Madnificent
Published 14 months ago by Mr. N. J. Todman

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this series has lost its lustre
I am a Mad Men addict by the way, so not a casual reviewer. I love the 50s/60s/70s aesthetic, restrained story lines and acting, but the (admittedly sparse) narrative is now getting so thin that at times I thought the show was beginning to parody itself. However I still dutifully look forward to Season 7 (if it happens).
Published 1 month ago by Rob

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this series has lost its lustre, 25 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Madnificent, 22 Jun 2013
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
When I watched the first episode of the sixth season of Mad Men I expected it to feel like putting on a comfortable, well-worn, pair of slippers. For years we have gotten to know Don, Pete, Peggy, Betty and numerous other characters as their fortunes, and those of the agency, have ebbed and flowed. But disconcertingly the start of the season time travels forward a couple of years from the end of season 5. As a result everything familiar felt different, and it took several episodes to feel reoriented in the lives of the characters. That was a stroke of genius. Mad Men has always made us work hard for the rewards of feeling immersed in its world.

Once the reorientation process was complete, the series continued with the same sharp writing and flawless acting which have made the previous series such compelling viewing. The introduction of several new characters,the toxic fallout from Don's relationships, and the overhaul of the agency all help to keep the stories fresh and open new windows to the souls of the major protagonists. That said, Don's soul remains a dark and mysterious place. That is why we love him, and this show, so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highy recomme, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Possibly the best series I've ever watched. Bring on the last series although it will be sad to see go.

I love Peggy and Joan have developed, storyline in general, characters for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable watch, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
While nothing will ever replace the glee I felt upon discovering this programme and then binge-watching the first 4 seasons in their entirety, I have to say I was so pleased that Series 6 resumed much of what I liked about the first 4, but that had been lacking in S5.

By now, we know the characters and their foibles inside and out, so we're not surprised by Don's continued drunken-ness, Peggy's desire to be heard and seen as in control, and Roger's inner angst behind his cocksure exterior. Yet we learn more about Don's childhood *Spoiler* being raised in a whore-house and thus his oversexualised childhood - we see him molested by a resident, and this gives us a clue as to why he is as oversexualised as an adult, and why he constantly feels the need to numb himself with booze, cigarettes, extra-marital affairs, and power-playing with his peers. Whereas Roger takes the healthy route of lying on his shrink's sofa and talking through his issues, Don remains the strong silent type, afraid or unable to articulate his emotions, or even to confide in his wife. He doesn't even utter a word for the first 20 minutes of the first episode, leaving us to wonder whether he'll bother to talk at all... In fact, he does, but only when approached at a Honolulu bar by a drunken soldier who he immediately feels a connection to. it's like he's worked so hard to build this life for himself, he has all the trappings of what one would believe would make one happy - powerful job where he actually gets to be creative, beautiful wife, money and children, yet this isn't enough for him to be happy. His childhood deamons are still gnawing at him and continue to do so throughout the series. It's no coincince that *spoiler* he embarks on an affair with an unattainable neighbor, who looks very similar to the whore he lost his virginity to. Yet the deamons wreak even more havoc as he drinks himself to the point of collapse, embarrasses himself and his colleagues in front of a major new prospect, and finds his own daughter walking in on him doing the deed with his neighbor. He cares less about losing Megan, the ever suffering and dutiful wife, and more about his daughter having a bad opinion of him. You can tell he knows he's messed up, but he's scratching his head not knowing how to fix it, and isn't used to his daughter so openly telling him exactly what she thinks of him.

The final scene shows him with his children revisiting the now derilict whorehouse where he spent his formative years. Sally wonders why he's taken her there, and he simply says 'this is where i grew up'. Sally then looks at him as if to say 'ahhhh ok, well that explains a lot then'. They both realise he is flawed, his childhood was certainly flawed, but yet by facing his deamons head on - and by letting his young children see his vulnerabilities - we get the sense he has finally turned a corner and may even be a changed man in the next series... I can't wait to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Mad Men remains top end drama but there is a very different vibe going on in Series 6. It took several episodes for me to really get into this series but, on reflection, this had much to do with the social/political changes going on in the late 60's and how these are captured. In particular Don and Roger appear increasingly old-fashioned in a world that is changing so quickly.

This isn't the best series but Mad Men remains one of the best programmes. I am looking forward to Series 7 and although disappointed it will be the last, I don't see how it could continue for much longer without losing the edge it has had since it started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful! So stylish in every detail, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Just wonderful! So stylish in every detail, it's a joy to watch and marvel at moments that are just perfection. All the characters are richly drawn out and it feels like you get to know their inside thoughts. Every glance has a significance and there is so much that is communicated without a word being said. The wonderful Don Draper continues for me to steal the show and I can't wait for Season 7 to be available

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite TV series., 31 Dec 2013
A. R. Jacubs (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Although Season 6 is not as good as earlier seasons it still excites. Attention to detail as well as the acting is superb. What more can I say? It is the best money I have spent on DVD's. I look forward to Season 7 which I hear sadly is to be the last. If you are into watching post war period films/series then this is a must. I lived and worked through this period in central London and so much of the period is reproduced brilliantly. It's a pity to see so much smoking but that's what so many of us did then. Great entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars I did not notice that this was a German copy ..., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 (DVD) (DVD)
I did not notice that this was a German copy and I feel that this needs to be made idiot-proof on the order form. Luckily, it has the English track as an option, but this has to be navigated to at each viewing, which is a nuisance. Why not add a red label stating "foreign language" to the item's entry on Amazon, just to make sure people see it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time to call it a day!, 25 July 2014
Mrs. L. Evans - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have really enjoyed the first five seasons of Mad Men and have rated them 5 stars, but I'm afraid it's time to call it a day as the plots and scripts aren't what they used to be.

The same meticulous detail is shown in sets and costumes but the old magic is lacking.

I shall watch the next series too as it has been a great run.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Plot thickens, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
I had a copy of Madmen season 1-5 for a whole year before we found the time to view it. I suppose it was winter and there was much snow about, so we needed something to brighten up the season, guess what, we watched it. We were hooked straight away and I just had to purchase season 6. We were not disappointed it's quality entertainment. Like it... Love it.....Buy it......

Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] by Jon Hamm (DVD - 2013)
19.97