5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, nice fit and a joy to use.
Published 7 months ago by Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke

Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:09 Mins
The Philips ActionFit Sports Earphones are a set of earphones that are specifically designed to be worn whilst performing exercise such as jogging or running.

Published on 29 April 2013 by Chris Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, nice fit and a joy to use., 26 Sept. 2014
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips SHQ3200/10 ActionFit Washable Ultra Light Sports Headphones - Earhooks (New for 2013) (Accessory)
I looked at the reviews before I posted this and I am surprised that it seems equal numbers feel these are brilliant or rubbish. I bought these to listen to my podcasts and music whilst I ran and they are the best sports earphone I have used and miles better than the Sony ones and JVC ones they replaced. Sound is crisp and the earplugs sit well in the ears withou rubbing the outter skin.

I like them and recommend them. I just wonder if they have upgraded the model and I have the better ones?

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, sturdy and adjustable - just a shame the sound quality isn't better..., 29 April 2013
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 2:09 Mins

First off I have to admit that the adjustable ear hook design is a stroke of designing genius. After all, ear hook earphones are all well and good as long as they fit the user's ear shape fine. If they don't then you're usually pretty much stumped. However, with this adjustable design on the 'hook section', the earphones can be adjusted (admittedly with a little playing around and patience) to fit your ear almost perfectly.

When adjusted to fit snuggly, these Sporty Spice earphones should stay firmly attached to your lugholes even whilst darting around the place in hell or high-water. And to be fair - they do just that. After I played around with them in our back garden, my wife has taken them out on a few jogs (including along the beach by where we live) and she's been incredibly impressed with how well they've stayed in throughout.

Comfort-wise these brightly-coloured monstrosities are incredibly comfortable to wear - even whilst getting hot, tired and sweaty. Tucked nicely into your ear canal and then hooked over your ear, within a couple of minutes the earphones practically feel like they're part of you.

Now then, on to the sound reproduction. And alas, this is really where the earphones let themselves down. The reproduction sounds flat and without any dimension to it. For some reason the bass sounds forced and wooden - with very little in the way of depth. Indeed, much of the sound is tinny and lacking any natural warmth or displaying anywhere near the depth of layers that may be present in the music.

For those that like their metal - Dave Lombardo's drumming on both early and later Slayer albums sounds like he's banging away on tin pots and pans. The toms sounds like flatulence and the (usually thundering) double-bass drum sounds like something akin to a woodpecker going hell-for-leather at the bodywork of a rusty old car.

Listening to Opeth's 'Damnation' album to see how well the earphones coped with beautifully tranquil acoustic notes - sadly the same disappointing performance was to follow. You can hear the notes and it's certainly the songs you know and love - just without that elegant depth of sound that you know should be there. But then, is this a quality of sound that people will be particularly striving for with some sporty earphones? Probably not! I'm not exactly the run-around-and-get-fit-type. To be honest I leave that to my wife. However, I'm much more passionate about my music and love hearing the songs sounding the way they were meant to sound.

So it's probably a classic case of horses for courses. The earphones are designed for wearing whilst you're flying around the place. Being sweat resistant and probably quite tolerant of the rain, they're for people who'll be out there in the elements. And for those people, whilst they're getting on a sweat, they're unlikely to care all that much whether they can hear the delicate warmth of Fredrik Åkesson's guitars or the vast heart-thumping spectrum of Lomardo's awe-inspiring drumming.

1.0 out of 5 stars Low volume and low quality sound, 31 Dec. 2012
I've got through a few pairs of earphones and these are easily the worst, so bad in fact that I've decided to get rid of them. The poor, tinny quality of the sound jumped out as soon as I plugged them in - it's hard to believe just how little bass there is. Used the equaliser on my mp3 player to get something at least passable and then noticed how low the volume is on them. My mp3 is quite capable of delivering painfully high volume but with these earphones I needed it all the way up to get acceptable results. I found it so hard to believe how bad they were that I did a side-by-side test of them against a tired old pair of Sennheiser earphones (OMX50's, a bit more expensive but not much), both plugged into the same radio. The Phillips did indeed have much lower volume and compared to the Sennheisers their quality was just awful, making an FM music station sound more like an old wartime AM broadcast. Pushing the ear buds in as firmly as I dared improved the sound a little, but only took it from terrible to bad, and the little plastic cones designed to fit in your ears didn't grip well so the ear buds soon slipped loose.

Phillips try a lot of innovations, which is a good thing and some of them work really well, but this little device just flops on almost all fronts. I will say the bright orange cable was a good choice, because the material it's made from resists tangling, which is always a headache with earphones. At the moment I have a plan involving the orange cable, the Sennheisers, a pair of scissors and a soldering iron, and I don't thinks there's much to lose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable music quality, obviously not tested on someone who sweats buckets!, 30 Mar. 2015
First and foremost, these headphones are a low end product designed to be used in the gym. They don't cost a huge amount and therefore expectations aren't that I am going to be bowled over by the sound quality. My main purpose for buying these was for gym-work and apparently they are even washable. Well... we'll see about that.

The sound quality is so-so. However, as these were used when cycling or at the gym, I hardly needed perfect music with the sound of all the machines being used, weights being dropped and grunts and snorts by the others present. Main requirement: headphones that stayed in when cycling/rowing/elliptical(ing)/lifting etc.

The headphones stayed in fine, I had to use a bit of adjustment to make them fit but that is the idea of the adjustable ear-band. The problem, and reason that these get two stars, is that they aren't quite as washable/water proof as they would like to make out. I managed to sweat mine to death. Less said about that the better, but as they have always been well looked after (except for the salty goodness being washed over them with regularity) and one of the earbuds is now silent, I can only conclude that these were not up to the gym task.

Used for two months, time to move onto a different pair.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the fence. Great if you can get them to fit right and stay fitted., 5 April 2013
Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must say I was keen to try these as I ahve the older SHQ3000/10 model which these replace.

Firstly, these have the same tech specs as the older model and are all but identical save for a few little changes. Instead of a straight connector you now get an angled one, along with a better cable seperator where the cable splits to your ears. This new one also features some reflective material to help keep you seen. Gone are the black and white ear hooks and instead there is now two tone grey. You also get a funky little bag/pounch to keep them in compared to the small hardsheel case. These are very well build and although I ahven't put it to the test yet they are washable to keep them clean and are sweat resistant.

I prefer earhooks for excercise and the hooks on these are adjustable for best fit which is really good. They come with three sets of silicone caps for the best fit in your ear. This is key and essentially to keeping the tunes flowing.

The set is very light and has a cable clip whcih I use to anchor the cable at the bottom of my t-shirt to keep the cable from bouncing up and down. And due to a nice long cable I keep my ipod shuffle in my shorts pocket.

Sound I think is good for this level of set, they block the noise out of the gym nicely and when a seal is made in your ears the sound is fine for your workout. However, it can be a pain to keep the seal in your ears, especially after a bit of a session once you start sweating etc and unless these are wedged in with a perfect seal then you may as well not be wearing them as you won't hear a lot.

Overall a light and well built set of sports headphones that sound great when their in. I dropped a star as getting the correct seal in your ears can often be a bit fiddly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value at the price, 1 Jan. 2015
I use these in the gym all the time. They are the second set that I have had, I had the first set for about two years. In-between, I bought a more expensive pair that lasted about two weeks. They are very comfortable to wear. They buds will sometimes slip out of my ear canal slightly when I am sweating a lot, but I think that would be true of any in-ear headphones. I would highly recommend them. Great value at the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cable too short, 25 Oct. 2014
Acceptable with one irredeemable flaw making them useless

Sound-wise they are pretty poor - muddy and indistinct. I bought some Shure earphones at the same time and the difference is amazing. However, as they are for exercise and they are robust (or seem) its probably acceptable.

Build-wise (except for one detail I'll go into later) they seem OK - a bit flimsy maybe but again acceptable.

There is the irredeemable flaw - the cable length in ludicrously short. I measured mine at 102cm buds to plug - I cannot find another pair of headphones that are even close (all others are more than 130cm buds to plug - the Shure is >150cm). For sports headphones this is just crazy. I have a bike on a turbo and a rowing machine - for both of these the cable is too short. For any gym equipment, unless the phone/mp3 player is actually attached to you they will probably be too short.

So back they went - for the cost of maybe 1p worth of cable they turned an adequate product into the unusable

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what I need., 7 Dec. 2014
I bought these mainly for listening to audio books and they do the job well enough. I do find they slip out a bit even with me changing the buds but I must have an odd shaped ear! When they are pushed in the bass is good. I was happy with the Amazon price but would never consider paying the recommended full price - they're not worth that.

5.0 out of 5 stars best headphones for active sports, 19 Jan. 2015
I probably have tried no less than 10 headphones/earbuds for my various outdoor activities. I ride 3,4 times a week and power walk for most days of the week. So I constantly on the look out for a good headphone! A few years ago, I found this Phillips Action Fit headphone. It is the perfect headphpne for your sports! The first pair lasted me a year and a half with heavy use (everyday), and I am on the second pair now, almost 2 years. They are simple, and work great.

I am not an audiophile, so can't tell much about bass level or things like that. All I can say is it sounds great with my iPhone, and when you are riding I am not sure you care much about that stuffs. The Phillips headphone beats all my others for riding: Bose, Senheisen, some Bluetooth Sony..It worked great, comfortable fit and most importantly, stay on your ears!

I highly recommend this headphone. They are inexpensive, but high quality and very durable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 19 April 2014
A. Danks - See all my reviews
Finally got round to replacing my old philips headphones as they broke. I was using a cheap £5 pair until I got these. What a mistake the £5 pair not only sounded much, much better but much louder. DO NOT BUY! These are hopeless, what a waste of money