5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off Philips!
I have been searching for the ideal headphone for years. Recently I sold my HD800 after trying to live with it for a long time. Before it I had T1, GS1000, D5000, Ed.8, HD650, Z1000, K701/702 etc. I tried them all, I sold them all (apart from Ultrasone Signature Pro and Ed.8). They're all great headphones but they all have flaws.

Enter X1 from Philips...
Published 16 months ago by Gurux

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips throw away headphones?
I have been reading, with interest, the very favourable reviews and comments concerning the build and sound quality of the Philips Fidelio X1 Headphones.
However, no one seems to have mentioned that, as far as I understand from Philips, neither the Headband Cover or the Velour Ear cups and perhaps even other spare parts, are replaceable.
If this is true, and...
Published 13 months ago by Mark Westley

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful sound signature, brilliant sounstage, 18 May 2015
S. Hein "Stevo" (Hereford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Fidelio X1/00 Hi-Fi Stereo Indoor Headphones (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I'm not a massive fan of headphones mainly because of the "in your head" feeling of the sound, but these headphones come much closer to "externalizing the sound" than any closed-back headphone at this price range.
The warm sound signature makes easily listening yet it isn't just mellow: there is a lot of bass punch (note that changing the cable, recommended by some, hardly makes a night and day difference but does make basslines more discernible or "tighter").
The low impendence means they can easily be driven by laptops, phones etc, but a cheap amplifier like the FiiO E10 does seem to make a noticeable but not huge improvement in the soundstage, particularly at the left and right extremities

5.0 out of 5 stars ... PRODUCTS THEY ARE THE INOVATORS AND PIONEERS OF A GREAT DEAL OF MODERN ELECTRONIC KNOW HOW, 16 Nov. 2014
ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF PHILIPS PRODUCTS
THEY ARE THE INOVATORS AND PIONEERS OF A GREAT DEAL OF MODERN
ELECTRONIC KNOW HOW.
MY NEW FIDELIO X1/00 HI-FI HEADPHONES MEETS ALL MY EXPECTATIONS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great construction and very comfortable in use, 15 Oct. 2014
Great construction and very comfortable in use . Very little pressure over the ears . Yes it does leak sound like a sieve but it really is designed for indoor hi fi use . In that respect it is excellent the dynamic range and sense of space is excellent. I am not convinced the sound is utterly neutral but it is beautifully natural and does not produce any listening fatigue. As someone who plays as well as listens to music the sound is just what I hoped. In this price bracket if you are looking for a serious pair of hi fi headphones to make the best of your collection and maybe find new things hidden within it they cannot be faulted

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU MUST BUY THESE NOW!, 23 Oct. 2013
I am the proud owner of Fidelio L1's and Sony MDR1's which to me are great headphones, both different in the way sound is reproduced but great. I had actually almost ordered the Fidelio X1's 2 weeks ago when they were £179. To me at the time they represented great value and i knew from my experience of the L1's they would be great..... I almost pushed my Prime basket order button..... almost. I fell off my chair when the day before my birthday for 1 day only they were less than Fidelio L1s!!!!! I think you know what happened next. The Fidelio X1's are truly fantastic and are the biggest bargin in on-ear headphones on Amazon or anywhere else at the moment. This price will go up again and you will only kick yourself! They make music and film viewing a joy. Read all the reviews, enjoy the quality build, smile every single time you look at them,be blown away by the quality of sound. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ??????

5.0 out of 5 stars Youv'e Tried The Rest Now Try The Best, 8 Oct. 2013
I Bought These As a Replacement For My AKG 240 Sextett Phones As They Became Faulty ( I Actually Fixed Them Since Them)
I Have To Say I Was Not Disapointed, Great Headphones And Better Than My AKG 240S. Great Bass With a Lovely Open Sound And Bags Of Deatail. Don't Listen To What People Say About The Lead, I Got 2 Replacement Leads And The One Supplied With Them Is Better More Open And More Air About The Sound Just Goes To Show You Have Got To Try These Things Your Self. AAAAAAAAA++++++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning., 16 July 2014
Design 10/10 very well made, don't think they is a better headphone out there for design.
Comfort 10/10 even though these have very high quality materials, the headphone is very light.
Audio 10/10 this my first headphone in this price range and it don't disappoint. Using this over my last set is like when I first switch to HD from SD in audio terms. Everything is very clear and high detailed.

One down side, but to me not worthy giving a down grade on it, is you can't remove the ear pads.

5.0 out of 5 stars 85% of the Sennheiser HD 800 Experience, 27 Jun. 2013
I've written previously about the talents of the Philips Fidelio range, and particularly the DS9000 speaker dock. See: PHILIPS DS9000/12 Primo Docking Speaker for iPad/iPhone/iPod - wood finish

Tempted by a good experience with the brand, I decided to purchase these Fidelio X1 headphones. They are interesting. Very large 50mm drivers (compared to the Sennheiser HD 700s which have 40mm ones and the HD 800s which have 56mm ones). Important but not alone responsible for great sound. The latter, incidentally, are the best headphones I have ever heard. How do these compare? I'd say probably 85 per cent of the HD 800 experience at a fifth of the cost. For me, that makes these fantastic. If you are an experienced geek, the following is how I would rate a range of headphones I have owned/enjoyed/listened to, from best to 'worst'. None of these are poor, and you will note my bias for open headphones as the best sounding headphone type. Perhaps you've listened to some of them too, in which case you have something to relate this review of the X1s.

Sennheiser HD 800 >
Fidelio X1 - Sennheiser HD 650 - Sennheiser HD 600 >
Audio Technica ATH AD700 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Grado SR80 - Sennheiser HD 595

EDIT: Update after more listening time. I would say that these X1s have gone from sounding excellent to pretty spectacular after some 40 hours with them. They definitely seem to "open up" (and sound 'wider') the more you use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art!, 18 Mar. 2013
This was my first foray into open over-ear headphones. Having owned many in-ear headphones (triple-fi 10's, Phonak PFE 122's, and Sony XBA-4ip's included), and a pair of Goldring NS-1000's, I was not sure about what to expect. Having heard many great things about philips new fidelio range, however, convinced me to give these a go.

Now for the review;

DESIGN
When I took these out of the box for the first time, I was completely taken by the quality of construction and materials used - These really look the part when it comes to high end headphones. Solid construction, they are UNBELIEVABLY comfy too, like being gently smothered by a beautifully fluffy cloud. The cable deserves a mention also. All you need to know is that it is a durable, problem-free cable (no tangling issues). So up to this point I was very impressed, before even getting to the sound quality.

AUDIO
I was testing these through my macbook with a Fiio e7 DAC, and I will admit initially I was disappointed. I read some reviews that these don't need a burn in and that they sound best 'out of the box' - this couldn't be more wrong! I could detect some sibilance in the vocals and the soundstage wasn't as expansive as I was expecting. So I decided to leave them to burn in overnight. I came back to them after about 15 hours burn time, and the sound had exponentially improved! Punchy purposeful bass, beautifully clear vocals and midrange with great presence, and sparkling high tones that astounded without ever becoming too harsh. It was also miraculous how much the headphones opened up. A totally different experience to what I was used to. In ear headphones inject sound into your ear whereas the Fidelio X1's sound very spatial after a burn in (The music is all around you rather then in your brain). Give em 40 hours until they are absolutely at their best. Handles 256-320kbs audio files remarkably well, but shine just that extra more with WAV and FLAC files.

OVERALL VERDICT
I'm a happy guy.
A work of art atheistically, and musically the perfect balance of fidelity & excitement.
Great Value at £270

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound... once you replace the cable., 6 Jan. 2014
Okay the stock cable does the job but has high levels of resistance and I found it to centralise vocals more than I would expect in movies and music. There's a bit of detail being contained in there which opens up with a replacement cable. I don't know if this was by intention from Philips or an oversight but buying the Fisual S-Flex Mini cable for £13 was a great decision. Sounds are now wider much like how I like them to be (as a Sennheiser HD5xx oner it's hard listening to headphones without the wide soundstage).

Cable aside the rest of the headphone is amazing. the build quality oozes £££, they look the part too. I bought the HD598 alongside these to compare and return the ones I preferred least based on sound quality and even though I found the X1 to produce deeper more detailed bass and just as clear a soundstage as the Sennheiser, the X1s pipped it by having that look and feel as well as those memory foam ear pads that feel great once warmed up and moulded to your head.

The Fidelio X1 are suited to all musical tastes from what I can tell. I listen to acoustic, jazz, blues, electronic, rap/hip-hop, r&b, some folk and some pop as well as piano instrumentals and these have excelled. I upgraded from the HD595 Sennheiser so whatever I got next had to have just as good a soundstage but nod muddy any details and I think nobody will be disappointed here.

Review sites compare them to the Sennheiser HD650 because of the laid back warm sound. I've not heard the 650s but I'm pretty confident these are a class above all but the most extreme Sennheiser for build quality so will last and won't have faded parts or anything over the years like the plastic on Sennheiser cans tend to suffer from after regular daily use.

The only other negative really is that the ear pads are glued on but the people over at Head-Fi have found that you can carefully pull them away and replace the pads with Beyer Dynamic DT880 earpads should the Philips ones wear out over time. I prefer the memory foam on the Philips so this is a user choice I guess should things happen after warranty expires.

I've driven them with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a NAD D 3020 amplifier. The X1 are a quieter headphone than others. The HD595 and HD598 were louder at the same volume level which is strange considering the Senns are rated at 50ohm whereas these are a shade above 30 but still, not a huge deal breaker here as they're still very loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars great spacial sound with enough bass to excite and treble ..., 4 July 2014
John B. Ltd "hootboot" (England) - See all my reviews
I know it's subjective when it comes to listening to music but felt I had to mention that these headphones are 'FANTASTIC' I tried various models from various makers around this price range and some way above but after some serious listening these just pipped everything. From heavy rock to classical they handled it with grace, great spacial sound with enough bass to excite and
treble not too harsh. Have a listen. Well done Philips.