5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off Philips!
I have been searching for the ideal headphone for years. Recently I sold my HD800 after trying to live with it for a long time. Before it I had T1, GS1000, D5000, Ed.8, HD650, Z1000, K701/702 etc. I tried them all, I sold them all (apart from Ultrasone Signature Pro and Ed.8). They're all great headphones but they all have flaws.

Enter X1 from Philips...
Published 10 months ago by Gurux

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips throw away headphones?
I have been reading, with interest, the very favourable reviews and comments concerning the build and sound quality of the Philips Fidelio X1 Headphones.
However, no one seems to have mentioned that, as far as I understand from Philips, neither the Headband Cover or the Velour Ear cups and perhaps even other spare parts, are replaceable.
If this is true, and...
Published 7 months ago by H M Westley

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphones To Be Proud Of, 17 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Fidelio X1/00 Hi-Fi Stereo Indoor Headphones (Electronics)
I've used these headphones for a little over a month now; I feel its about time I let you know how good these really are - perhaps my review is a little long but I know what its like to sit for days and weeks trying to choose the right headphones; I want to be quite clear on these.

Firstly, Amazon's price on these headphones tends to swing around quite a lot. But anything between £150 and £200 is a steal in my opinion -some highstreet stores are offering these headphones for £300 plus.

As a consequence of their open back design please note these are INDOOR headphones. Basically you're not going to be very popular if you use these on the train, you could perhaps get away with listening to these in the park. Indoors and the sound leakage, whilst not extremely loud, will likely irritate short fused people in the same room. For me these headphones are not entirely selfish however - they are the best quality headphones to use should you want to immerse yourself in sound but are not feel comfortable playing sound out of speakers (either late at night, or if you are a considerate neighbour). Without getting too technical, the open back design allows the sound to naturally diffuse from source - whereas closed back headphones (in order to minimise disturbance and sound leakage) keep the sound in and leads to reverberation and distortion.

The build quality is quite simply stunning. The ear cushions are a spongy but not overly firm memory foam covered with a sumptuous velvet. On initial gripe is that these are not removable and anyone who has used such headphones before will know that the covers tend to get mucky and require replacement over time - nevertheless the finish of the product suggests a very long life span and I have heard of no complaints yet of deterioration. Also, some people on this site have suggested that it is possible to do a little DIY yourself should something bad happen to the covers.

The headband, as you can see in the picture, has two features. There is a calf leather top with a self adjustable hammock fitting beneath. This mesh is extremely soft and comfortable but provides an airing that doesn't leave you too hot. The hammock device is instantly comfortable.

On to the all important sound - without doubt I don't think I have heard better headphones yet. I will admit I have not tried the real top end headphones circa £1000 - but in comparison to the AKGs I felt the sound was on a level if not better. Of course whilst I have loads of in ear headphones for running etc. including the whole shure range the sound is incomparable as the large drivers of the over ears win every time. Noticeably the bass in these headphones is much warmer and richer in these headphones without losing any quality and clarity in the top end which remains crisp and succulent. For me this was the winning factor. I listen to a large variety of music - but for electronic music (my most listened genre) they really come into their own. I am repeatedly amazed at the power and clarity these headphones bring - to tracks that I have already listened to 100+ times. As the cliché comment goes, it really is like listening to that music all over again.

I still am not 100% sure whether its urban myth but I still 'burnt' my headphones in over a couple of days playing normal volume music on shuffle. I couldn't tell an improvement in sound - but I don't think it would do any harm.

Because of its high impedance the headphones require an amp to get the best out of them - on recommendations on this site I paired them up with the FiiO E7 Portable Headphone DAC Amplifier. I actually didn't notice much difference with the recommended Fisual S-Flex Mini 1m 3.5mm Jack to 3.5mm Jack Cable to replace the stock cable. But maybe my ears aren't trained enough. I cannot compare the E7 amp to other amps as its the only one I know - all I can say is that it is the perfect portable inclusion to drive the headphones to decent performance.

If you want a pair of headphones to enjoy your music and film at home, you simply cannot go wrong with these; I'm very happy with this purchase. The amazed reactions of people when I demonstrate their sound to friends and family makes me even happier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 12 Nov 2014
I love these headphones but they have one small problem and that is the cable, it makes the bass a little loose when you compare it to more precise headphones but now the X2 came out that's been improved. If you purchase the X2 cable ( Philips X2 AUDIO CABLE NO CLIP “ which Is part number 9965-800-03348 @ £27.99 + £2.95 standard delivery to UK mainland ) the bass is now nice and tight, more precise. I actually prefer the X1 with X2 cable better than the new X2's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 12 Oct 2013
Having only used low quality headphones before, these beauty's came as a real shock to the system. Sound quality is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved 'em for the few times I spare to listen ..., 4 July 2014
Bought a pair back in the Amazon christmas sales..loved 'em for the few times I spare to listen to music but was moving house so sold them. Then had sellers remorse..bought another pair (at greater cost).
Keeping hold of them this time.
No audiophile but the sound-scape and depth with these is just very impressive, as is the build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like being at the cinema, 12 Jun 2014
Never heard anything like the Philips Fidelio X1, smooth sounds with a huge sound stage and deep extended base. For music they are great, for movies and gaming you will be blown away by deep the impact-full bass and detail that is delivered, all whist delivering an open and expansive sound stage.

Comfort wise they can be worn for hours as they are real comfortable.

Build quality is up there with headphones 3x the price. Leather and heavy duty aluminium ooze quality.

Only negative being the ear pads are not replaceable, but they are top quality so should last a long while. You can try the sock mod to keep the pads clean

5.0 out of 5 stars at THIS PRICE RANGE!!!, 12 Jun 2014
With a good Amplifier...you get 150% more volume and bass.

Also the Mids start to shine.

But WITHOUT the amplifier, these are REALLY REALLY good for Orchestra music, Piano, Jazz, HEAVY BASS!!!

\the voices however not so good... You would need a really good cable for voices. music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., 4 Jun 2014
Excellent headphones at a great price.

Great, fullrange and rich sounding open backed headphones. Great build quality and really comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Headphones, 13 May 2014
I'm no 'audiophile' but I do appreciate listening to good quality audio. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD490 for a number of years, which I have always liked but felt it was time to upgrade. After doing a lot of searching online, reading user and professional reviews I got down to a choice of two. These Philips Fidelio X1 and the Yamaha Pro500. On balance, the X1's came out better on the comfort stakes, so I went for them. I have not been disappointed in any way. They are supremely comfortable. Given that they are large phone they seem to defy gravity when wearing them as after a few minutes I no longer notice them. They can be worn for long sessions, no problem. Incidentally, wearing glasses doesn't interfere with the comfort. They sound great but when fed with high quality audio they sound out of this world. They have a very precise and details upper range, voices sound fantastic, and the bass is tight and controlled with amazing extension. I've recently discovered a streaming audio site that streams in full CD quality flac. Listening on this site brought a smile of delight to my lips lol. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these headphones and am delighted that I chose them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Fidelio X1, 2 April 2014
Perfect headphones

Pro's
Sound
Looks
Build
Comfort

I prefer them to Grado SR60i, 80i, 125i and 225i. I still have some 125i and these blow them away, the comfort of wearing the two is chalk and cheese, the grados feel awaful to wear compare to the philips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Jan 2014
Beautiful looking and sounding. The X1 has great bass for an open headphone and is warm and musical. I'm very happy with this purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›