on 14 March 2013
At first, I was distracted by the slang/dialogue between the two doctors in the beginning (and if Pauline or Gordon kept using the word "darling," I was going to throw up), and I wasn't very impressed with the characters in general (could have been a bit more developed), but the action soon wiped away all my reservations. There was far more drama than I was expecting; even though I didn't really care who lived or died, I was fascinated by the way the characters interacted with each other, particularly Mary (head of the scientists) and Colonel Page.

I was disgusted (in a good way) by the mild cliff-hanger at the end of the story - I didn't realize this book was the beginning of the series, and I'm anxious to find out how everything worked out with the three-way conflict between the civilians, the scientists and the soldiers. McCuaig (co-author of Meta-horde: A Ministry of Zombies Novel did a great job of making me a captive reader for his series.
on 30 April 2013
I find the high reviews for this book very surprising. It is really bad. So bad that I genuinely wonder if the gushing four and five star reviews are the author's friends.

The plot is fine, if cliched. Zombie uprising, people desperately trying to escape, get caught up with a hastily thrown together mixed scientific and military team. Desperate race against time to get to the coast, growing tensions between the scientists and the soldiers, turns out the virus was created as a biological weapon, etc. It had all the ingredients to be a perfectly acceptable pulp zombie thriller. However...

The characterisation is terrible. The characters actions are unbelievable. The dialogue is appalling. The slang is American (they all regularly say "ain't" and "frigging", even the hospital consultant and the Colonel - these are supposed to be Brits). I doubt even the most cursory bit of research was done into how the military operate, viruses (at one point a research assistant tells one of cardboard cut out main characters that they have tried electrocuting the virus but they still can't kill it!), or how hospital A&E departments work. And the author clearly doesn't understand the concept of "show don't tell" - everything is told to us like we're children.

I like kindle books by newcomers, and I can overlook amateurish books that are well written. This was unreadable. I stopped reading after they pulled out of London, then reread the positive reviews and decided to give it another chance. I ended up skim reading it simply to get to the end to see what happened - glancing briefly at each page and only reading key paragraphs. When I got to the end I wished I hadn't bothered.

I've never given one star before. This is a first. Avoid.
on 20 January 2013
The dead arose , and appeared to many - AS ZOMBIES. There's a pair of doctors who are romantically involved, and the military are called in. These and all the essentials are present for a great Zombie story. There's also an element of masterful suspense which one rarely encounters in this genre. On the whole, A DAMN FINE READ.
on 30 September 2012
John McCuaig has weaved a rather realistic tale about the trials, tribulations, and many hazards someone would encounter while trying to escape the city during the zombie apocalypse.

The story follows several characters, and gives eerie descriptions of those who are infected and how quickly the virus spreads.

The pacing is well done, not staying in any area too long.

How did it happen? Is there a cure? Is there a way to escape?

These are all questions you have to read the book in order to answer, which I highly recommend.
on 30 September 2012

The pacing is well done, not staying in any area too long.

How did it happen? Is there a cure? Is there a way to escape?

on 12 March 2013
I love zombie stories with an itchy passion and this story scratched that particular itch for me. One of the best I have had the pleasure of reading in years. It is a must for any fan of the zombie genre.
on 2 January 2013
Took a chance on this as was a bargain price. A very good read will have to buy they next book too see what happens. IF I COULD FIND THIS TO BUY THAT IS!!
on 24 September 2012
Another can't put down novel from McCuaig, really cannot wait unti the sequel comes out.
The characters really fight for the best outcome but will they get it????? McCuaig really leaves you hanging on to find out you can almost hear the boom boom boom of the Eastenders theme tune as you read the last few lines
on 28 September 2012
A zombie book written about london and England,and not in america,lived in london and kent could picture the story better,all and all a brilliant read,some twists in the book,one i didn,t see coming,can,t wait for last hope to come out,highly recommended.Johns last book the church was good this one better.
on 30 December 2012
Amazing book really easy to make images to go with the story covered everything family, love life, friendship, trust and truth I adored this and I would happily read it again.:)