5.0 out of 5 stars Another Africa classic from Michela Wrong
Michela Wrong's first book, In the Footsteps of Mr Kurtz, an account of the Congo's decline, was rightly acclaimed a classic by the Economist. She has triumphed again in her account of Eritrea, a book of many themes and as many virtues: it combines the best of travel writing, biography, history, current affairs, all embraced by a poignant love story, for Ms Wrong fell...
Published on 15 Jan 2005 by NMS Holman

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but very sketchy on some important issues
This is a book full of contradictions, if not just for its content, then for the approach to the subject, namely Eritrea, by Michela Wrong. It is about the journey of Eritrea throughout history - from colonial time to present day. The scars that foreign occupation left on Eritreans - the experience of a people whose nation was betrayed by the world, most notably, by the...
Published on 28 Jan 2005 by H Ghirmai

5.0 out of 5 stars still the world betrayed us, 5 April 2014
I have read this book by Michela Wrong and it very interesting book. I am eritrean and i know some of the stories in this book personaly and it remaind me how the things gone. It is true and it reflects of the current situation of my country Eritrea. The very interesting thing still the worlld they betray and forget us as we are human being and part of this huge world. But no one who care for us we are still be killed, raped and kidnaped by our own goverment and outsiders from Sinai. Our ayea are still looking from were we can get help. But i know oneday everything will be changed even the world when their back. Thanks
And well done Michela keep it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that I have been looking for., 23 Oct 2013
It is the book which I have been looking for, it is one of the best I ever had. Thank you !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Account of a Forgotten Corner of Africa, 4 Jun 2013
Nico (Australia) - See all my reviews
Michela wrong is a very fine writer and has produced a wonderfully researched and beautifully written account of Eritrea's history and its struggle for independence. Wrong clearly feels great sympathy for the plight of Eritreans and the hand that history has dealt it at times. Being Ethiopia's only link to the sea for example was always going to make obtaining independence from their overlords a hard and bloody struggle. Wrong also points at the involvement of other foreign nations in Eritrea's history and the negative impact it has often had on the Eritreans themselves. She even finds the time to prove that idiotic Americans always remain idiotic and don't even realise it. An excellent and informative book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating the Horn of Africa., 2 Dec 2012
Michela Wrong is an established and successful author on Africa. This volume was a casual purchase and I found this blend of history and politics a riveting experience. For many of us this part of Africa is complex and difficult to understand. This book will shine a light.

1.0 out of 5 stars Michela Wrong Excels, 1 Dec 2014
A very well preserved copy which tempted me to read it immediately. The little known recent history of the Horn of Africa goes a long way towards explaining the current refugee crisis of that region. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wakeup call, 1 Feb 2005
Dawit Mesfin (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am very much impressed by the details that went into the book. I am an Eritrean, and being one was never easy. I can confidently say that is what I read in this book - the difficulty my fellow countrymen, especially the freedom fighters, sustained over the years. One can sum up the Eritrean experience with its abnormal nature. The author managed to describe that successfully.
Now Eritrea is supposed to be a free country and one would think that all that history of successive colonial eras plus the American and Soviet intrusions is behind it. Well, not really. Sadly enough, Eritrea is still going through serious difficulties.
Although re-visiting the past was not easy, I remained fixated from start to finish. And at times I got emotional.
The book is fresh and splendidly written.

4.0 out of 5 stars As brand new, 2 Jan 2012
Must say, the quality of the book i got was amazing.
The book feels like it came straight of the shelves.

No doubt the quality of the bok was higher than expected!

/d

3.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten corner of Africa brought to life, 11 Mar 2011
I like this author. She gives what feels like a believable picture of modern Africa. Inevitably a gloomy one, but she never lets it feel so bad you wouldn't want to visit. She writes well, her stuff is well researched. I bought more of her books after this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gus, 2 Nov 2011
A very interesting book.
Once I read it I was able to understand why the Eritrean people are
so weary of so called 'foreign aid'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reader in High Wycombe, 18 Jan 2005
Not as easy to read as her first book as this one deals more with history and yet she reveals a country with incredible stories to tell.She has a wonderful writing style and makes it look so easy.What a gal!