4.0 out of 5 stars Still good and still different
This is the third volume of the author's "Demon Cycle". I found it as entertaining and exciting as the previous ones. Even if "Painted Man" - the first of the series - remains (slightly) the one I preferred, all three volumes are good although somewhat different. Some other reviewers seem to have been rather put off by these differences, although this is one of the main...
Published on 20 May 2013 by JPS

3.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to trilogies?
Published 16 months ago by griff1974

3.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to trilogies?, 13 Jan. 2014
griff1974 (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
First off, I loved the first two books in this series. I still think the concept is original and the characters are fresh, but whatever happened to trilogies? You knew where you were with three books, it gave structure to stories and made authors critical of their own content. Now the fashion is to milk a concept as long as possible. Even the best authors end up producing 'filler' books - and I'm sad to say this is one such. That's not to say Peter V Brett isn't in good company; step forward Terry Goodkind, George R R Martin, and the late Robert Jordan. These are all authors who at their best are unputdownable.

This book could have been well edited to a quarter of the length and been a great bridge at the start of the next (final?) book. It could be argued that this is the book in the series where the characters are given more depth and complexity, but it's done at such a pedestrian pace as to be numbing.

The author recovers a portion of his zest in some of the combat and battle scenes, which can be gripping. Although sadly there are exceptions here too with one major battle able to be summarised as [SPOILER] Jardir wears cloak of unseeing, sneaks up behind mind demon, kills mind demon, battle over.

The other times that the action heats up is when the author decides (and he's by no means alone here Mr Martin) that adult fiction means 'adult' fiction. There are times when stories have to include sex, be that suggested or detailed, but chucking in stiff this, wet that, and throbbing the other is just plain unnecessary. Frankly there are a limited number of occasions where the word lubing would be acceptable and this is absolutely not one of them.

Jerky attempts at erotica aside, this is a book that fans of the series up to this point will buy, read, and hope that the next book is more akin to the first two. It's not bad, it's just a filler.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a let down., 24 Feb. 2014
Now anyone who has read the first 2 books will most likely ignore any review of this book and will read it and expect to enjoy it, just like I did, but what a mistake I made.

Now I loved the first book, the second not quite as much but still a strong book but this the third in the series is frankly awful.

Now I may be being unfair as I could not get past half way but its very rare for me to stop reading a book and this is the only time I can remember not finishing a book which is part of an on going series which I have already invested time into.

The main problem is the secondary character or the hero's "promised" what a charmer she is, I can not remember ever hoping a character would die as much as her. The main problem is with the terrible accent that not only she uses to butcher the English language but seems to of spread to the hero ( I don't remember him talking like this in the first book) is he aiming for American south or English southwest? whatever it is its painful and it makes the book a chore to read.

Her second problem is she is a complete *****, why would anyone put up with her? all believability goes out of the window where she is concerned because there is no way the hero of the first 2 books would shack up with her.

So yes anyone who has enjoyed the first 2 books will read this anyway but the chances are you wont read the forth book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Great......, 27 May 2014
I thought the Painted Man was a great book, different,well written great character development. The back filling of life histories worked really well, providing depth to relationships and motive, creating characters that you cared about and a different storyline to so many others in this genre. Book 2 was still full of promise and very readable so book 3, the daylight war is just dissapointing. The Painted man has acquired a yokel accent that is quite frankly irritating, the other characters are developing strange changes in personality, the storyline ambles all over the place and the bizarre sexual exploits of pretty much everybody are just boring. Dissapointingly I find myself rooting for the demons in the hope that they dispose of the bucolic painted man and his totally psychotic wife before he becomes king of the underworld which is where he seems to be heading....not sure I can face book 4.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Filling, Lacking Content and Story Progress, 22 Mar. 2013
I really loved the first part of this intended trilogy, now extended into 5 parts. The character development of the first two books was really good, but this book leaves a lot to be desired. There too much emphasis being placed on side kicks (or secondary characters) leaving the primary characters out, the flashbacks are painful and the entire book could have easily been done in 250 pages.

There is so much filling just to make it a big book, characters just waffle about things without moving forward. I couldn't put the first book down, the second less and the third I really considered leaving, and read it over two weeks as it was too painful.

The title of the book is (The Daylight War), for heaven's sake WHERE IS IT. The book improves in the last 4 chapters but before that the book lacks story development and progress.

Why on earth do we need to have so much childish sexuality, if I wanted sexuality I could have read 50 shades of sexuality.

I respect the writer, as his efforts in the first two books were amazing, but I seriously believe that he should go back into his previous successful methods and abandon the money making methods of making books span so many volumes, loosing most of his readers in the process. Three good selling books are far better than five
that don't sell.

I certainty am not going to buy the next book when it comes out, I'll wait till it drops in price and people have read and reviewed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I prefer root canal treatment than reading this book any further, 2 Jun. 2014
P. M. Egan (Tamworth) - See all my reviews
After one excellent first book, a mediocre to good second book, I am now wading through this mess of a Richard the Third. Tedious, boring, frustrating and wanting a good kick up the backside to try and get the plot moving. It is clear that what once was a trilogy has been stretched into five books, with an unhealthy dose of 'filler' to occupy the gaps.

There I was, waiting 2 hours for my passport to be stamped and I found reading the unfamiliar Vietnamese signs more interesting than continuing with this book. I read that Brett reckons he has the pacing about right, in which case he has a target audience of snails and sloths in mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still readable, but by far the worst, 3 May 2013
Plot progression was slow.

Arlen and Reena's "Rural" accent makes them come across dull and simple. "Slap the fool out of me" became their catchphrase, said to the point of annoyance.

Inevera's childhood was ok, but went on too long.

Many of the side characters have no depth, and end up coming across as simple.

At time the writing style makes me think i'm reading a childs novel. And don't get me started on the childish sexuality.

Finally, the series would have been better with less books (waffle removed) so that stuff actually happens. If it takes another 3 years for the next book, then thats me done with the series. Ent worth the wait.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, 4 April 2013
The first two books were great. This one - eagerly anticipated - was awful. I did not manage to finish it. The main character seems to wander around at night flashing like a cross between a superhero and a fruit machine, and if I never hear the expression 'slap the fool out of me' again it will be too soon.
Very unfortunate.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing! dull and long winded, 6 April 2013
I loved the first 2 books in this series, a great new entry into fantasy with some interesting new ideas.

So this book was a huge disappointment. The back story on the Inevera was ok, but the main plot was derisory and so slow.
Basically we have 2 invincible heros and 2 big battles.
Nothing else really happens.

I managed to finish the book but it was a struggle (which is the polar opposite of the first 2) and by the end, as it became obvious that there was gong to be another installment i had lost interest in all of them and was rooting for the demons.

The gap between books was long, and Bret has seemingly fallen victim to writing filler books which cry out for editing down.

This book adds nothing to what was shaping up to be a great series. I won't be looking out for the next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of the three by far the worse, 3 April 2013
The first two books were great so I look forward to this novel thinking it would give us closure but instead it proved to be a hard read (yup, you heard me) and I only kept on in the hope it would get better. It didn't. I'll put it this way, I enjoyed the first two books so much I've read them both several times. One read of this one was enough.

The story line is weak to non existant and the expansion of charactors is overly done. It's a formular that worked well for the first two books but keeping the same formular for this one was a mistake as he's simply run out of key people.

It's not subtle either, at the diasapointing end he's left it not only at an unfortunatly weak part of the story it's also glaringly obvious what the next part of the plot will be.

Frankly, he's lost his way and I just hope the novellas will be enough to re-kindle my enthusiasm enough to buy book 4.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear....., 5 May 2014
As has been said, the first two books were excellent but alas (or "Honest word") this 3rd book is poor. It feels as though many segments have been cut and pasted from the previous books just to "fluff" the book out a bit. There seems very little movement in the plot/story even after ploughing through this 3rd book. Most of the plot is looking into the past which we've already read about. I hoped the Painted Man was going to be a solid trilogy but feel let down as it's looking like a yearly release. I saved this book as my holiday read and felt let down.....will i buy the 4th release....not unless it's cheap !!