Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 22 January 2013
All Fall Down from the Voss/Edwards writing duo is the follow up to Catch Your Death and returns to the lives of the protagonists of that novel Kate Maddox and Paul Wilson. Kate, virologist and Watoto virus expert is called upon by the FBI when a strain of the virus breaks out on a Native American reservation. Partner Paul follows her to America and does some freelance investigating of his own still seeking explanations and retribution for the death of his twin Stephen.

The third novel from the Voss/Edwards team All Fall Down shows a positive strengthening of their partnership, faster, tauter, and an improvement in terms of their prose from Catch Your Death, the two writers have obviously become more comfortable with each other and the unusual demands of writing as a double act as a continuing professional development.

I was worried that Paul would feel somehow out of place or redundant but his storyline manages to maintain plausibility within an implausible circumstance.

I say this, because in summary of All Fall Down, it is a story in which a religious cult of lesbians attempt to provoke an apocalypse by means of biological terrorism. A snuff threesome occurs before page 150.

If this sounds silly, it's because it is, but it by no means harms the fun thriller purpose of the novel, in many ways this is the product for sale, a giddy race against time with a level of James Bond esque silliness expected from an action film. The moment when the girls break into the secret lab is particularly worthy of any Hollywood blockbuster in terms of the imagery you conjur up in your mind.

I have but one criticism : Jack. Imperiled Jack in this second novel is suffering from a case of Kim Bauer Syndrome, a reference which only 24 fans will truly understand, but reminded me of the second season in which Kim is needlessly hiding behind bins, being chased by coyotes and accidentally caught up in a shop robbery. The way in which Jack collides with characters first met by Paul is overly coincidental. Let Jack be happy at home with his LEGO next time.

I would recommend making sure you've read Catch Your Death first, and hey if you don't think a mad lesbian trying to wipe out civilization is the most original premise you've heard in some time, feel free to let me know of others you have heard of!

I really liked their novel Killing Cupid and the forthcoming novel Forward Slash looks like it is similarly formatted so I'm really looking forward to that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2013
I previously read and reviewed 'Killing Cupid' and was absolutely delighted when 'All Fall Down' was sent to me. This is the sequel to 'Catch Your Death', a book I haven't actually read, but that didn't spoil it for me at all.

Two years ago Kate Maddox uncovered a terrifying conspiracy of rogue scientists. Now she just wants to be able to lead a normal and happy life with her partner Paul and son Jack. But her hopes are dashed when a face from the past turns up at one of her lectures, bringing with him some rather shocking news. It turns out that a new strain of the virus which originally killed Kate's parents has found its way to Los Angeles. The clock is ticking, a cure needs to be found as soon as possible before it's too late! Will Kate succeed?

I totally loved this book. Right from the start I found this to be a very gripping read. Each page, every single paragraph is full of thrills with lots of shocks and surprises throughout. There are some scary characters too. I certainly wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Heather. A real page-turner, this is a thriller and a half. I got so involved in the story, so much so in fact that every time someone sneezed I actually thought they had got the virus!

Louise Voss and Mark Edwards are very talented. They work so well together and their writing is like magic. They are fast becoming favourite authors of mine.

Look out for their new book 'Forward Slash' which is due out in the summer.
on 20 December 2012
I'm a bit of a sucker for doomsday thrillers and conspiracy theories, so I loved this book. The chilling, macabre prologue got me completely hooked.

I particularly liked the way that the story was constructed: the spread of the deadly Watoto virus throws the main characters together ... and then blows them apart again, leaving them to forge their own paths through the book. The story moves swiftly to and fro between the characters, offering tantalizing morsels of information as to their progress to uncover a cure, and the truth. But as the virus gruesomely eliminates more and more people, you get the sinking feeling that not all of them are going to make it back alive.

The menacing presence of a sadistic coven of damaged women really adds to the page-turning quality of this novel. Their role is slowly revealed as the story unfolds and I won't spoil it by going into it too much - but I found this a brilliant and fascinating facet to the plot.

And just when you think the ending can't get any more tense, it does! Well worth a read. It slides in front of the eyes very easily: pacy and gripping.
on 14 January 2013
Although a sequel to Catch Your Death, All Fall Down works perfectly as a stand alone read. The character of Kate Maddox is further developed and she is becoming a more rounded, likeable character. This is a fast paced, scientific, thriller in which the science doesn't detract from the story (in fact I found it fascinating as a non-scientific person). Thrown into the mix is some love interest, a cult and children in jeopardy all of which combine into a gripping, pacy, well written novel.
I can't wait to see what the next book from Voss and Edwards brings!
on 3 April 2013
All fall down is the sequel to Catch your death, which I read almost 2 years ago now. I've got quite the thing for killer viruses that have the potential to wipe out humanity so this book is right up my street! It follows virologist Dr Kate Maddox as she heads to America to help with finding a cure for a deadly virus which has been released into the general population by person/persons unknown. Her partner Paul and her son Jack tag along, but are separated and the chapters switch between the 3 characters.

It's fast paced, and is written in an easy to read style. I really like Kate's character but Paul tends to be quite impulsive, despite the best intentions. The 'baddies' are also really fascinating.

It can be read as a stand alone book, but I'd recommend reading 'Catch your Death' first if you haven't already.

I really hope there is another book that follows on, and I'm really looking forward to their new book 'Forward Slash' which is out in the summer.
on 21 April 2013
In this, the sequel to "Catch Your Death" we once again return to the world of Kate Maddox and Paul Wilson. Unlike some sequels, it is not just a rehashing of the first plot, even though Kate finds herself facing a new and more deadly strain of the virus she faced previously...and the opening sequence is marvellous - read the first few pages and you won't put it down until you are done I almost guarantee it! The "sub plot" if you like concerning Paul is also very well told - he is bound and determined to find out everything there is to know about his brothers death. I won't give anymore away - to be fair, if you enjoyed the first book, then you will adore this one and don't need a twenty page plot synopsis to tell you so. If you havent yet met Kate Maddox then go on, off you go, pick up "Catch Your Death" - you will probably be onto "All Fall Down" before you know it. A timeslip of a book!
on 20 December 2012
Any fears I had that the ground-breaking and kindle-smashing writing duo of Voss & Edwards might drop the ball after the tremendous success of Killing Cupid and Catch Your Death were squashed quickly like a virus spreading mosquito within the opening pages of this new novel.

Opening with a powerful prologue which I found akin to Stephen King's The Stand, the scene is set for a new tale of the heroine from Catch Your Death, Kate Maddox, as she strives to battle a new and horrifying strain of a virus she has faced before. But this is anything but a retread of that previous book. With All Fall Down the writing team have upped the ante on every level with a juggernaut of a thriller, packing action into every page throughout its just over 450 page running time (and I do mean `running' along with jumping, fighting, racing, shooting etc). Imagine that Outbreak movie from a few years back, turned into a road movie, with the action of Die Hard and you'd be about there.

Voss and Edwards manage to juggle multiple scenes of peril, splitting their main character from her partner, Paul, and son, Jack, and placing each one of them in their own adventure in parallel - all facing different dangers, all racing against the same clock.

It's a timely tale too, with ebook launch on 20th December, just one day before the Mayan prophecy advises we're all bound for oblivion, as the novel features a cult-like band who are set on a re-start of sorts to the world, believing they will be the only ones immune to the virus and who will do anything to stop anyone with the powers or knowledge to possibly prevent the spread or to find a cure.

With most of the UK currently experiencing symptoms of the annual winter virus at this very moment - it's also a novel that will have you taking note whenever someone near you on the tube sneezes - will give you that niggling doubt in your mind...

...but don't doubt for a moment that Voss and Edwards are clearly here to stay and, with such strong writing and stories, they have just unleashed a viral product for which I really hope there is no cure.

Dose yourself up - you won't regret it for a moment.

Keith ([...])
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I had a slight hope this book would be better than the previous release. It's not; it's complete rubbish. I understand what the authors are trying to do (I think) but, frankly, to hype this up and recruit other authors to bolster the references does not sit well with a poorly considered storyline.

Red herrings, twists and turns? Yes, there are plenty but where does any of that get us? Another deadly virus on the rampage, minutes to save her boyfriend's life, really weir women dressed in black kevlar; it's all a bit much.

I don't really want to read another book from these authors but I do note the next one does change the subject matter - so just maybe!
on 2 January 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this compelling thriller.

It's really fast paced and gripping, but not in an annoying way. It was also unpredictable which is great, but in a thoughout way which made sense. I often guess the ending of books, so it was really refreshing to have a surprise!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We first met talented virologist Dr Kate Maddox in 'Catch Your Death', and two years on from her narrow escape in that book, we meet her again here, now living with her partner Paul and her son Jack in the UK, and hoping for a normal life. However her peace is about to he shattered, as a man connected to that terrible episode from her past appears and informs her of the horrifying news that a suspected new strain of the killer virus that Kate's parents died from is now on the loose in Los Angeles. Then there is worse news as a bomb goes off in a hotel in America killing the top scientists that were meeting there and thereby reducing significantly the chances of a cure to the outbreak being found.

As one of the leading expert's in the world on the Watoto virus, Kate is called upon to travel to the USA immediately to a top secret laboratory in California to assist a special team in desperately trying to find a cure for the virus and help to stop it spreading any further. Reluctantly she takes Paul and Jack with her to the US, sending Jack off to stay with his father Vernon, whilst Paul embarks on his own determined if ill-advised pursuit of an enemy from the past, still intent on revenge for the death of his twin-brother.

This is another exciting, scary page-turner from the able pens of crime writers Voss and Edwards; it is packed with action, adventure, intrigue and terror. I was intrigued as to the outcome and liked the way the story moved between the different strands in alternate, short chapters, so that the tension in what was happening to Kate was maintained as we were taken to find out where Paul was, and then on to what was happening with the killers, keeping all parts of the story in play and ratcheting up the interest for the reader.

The threat of the deadly virus escaping into the wider world is ever-present and drives the urgency for Kate to discover a cure, and the authors keep the pace of the story and the action pounding along to reflect this. The truly frightening killers behind this release of the virus are certainly unusual and different to your average crime villain and they have their own strong cult-like beliefs driving their actions, aiming to start the world anew. There were parts of the story where I felt I had to suspend my disbelief a little, or found myself wondering if something would really have happened that way, and I was also a little apprehensive about the violence at times. These are minor quibbles overall though. I think if you've enjoyed the previous two novels by this author team then you should definitely read this one too. Although this isn't my personal favourite novel by them - that would be Killing Cupid - I would still recommend it as a fast and furious thriller with some very unusual killers and a tense, exciting plot throughout. You don't need to read Catch Your Death before reading All Fall Down, although I would recommend reading CYD simply because it's a very good read!
3.5 stars