on 27 July 2014
I bought a Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD and needed a conversion kit so decided to purchase the SanDisk SSD conversion kit for my HP Envy notebook which did have a 750GB 5400RPM HDD (mechanical drive).

I contacted SanDisk prior to purchase as their website including all others and Amazon does not state if it Windows 8/8.1 compatible. They confirmed it was compatible. Well just to confirm after checking the images Amazon provide (the image of the disc) i was able to visit the website for the cloning software to ensure it was Windows 8/8.1 compatible and it is fully supported. I myself use Windows 8.1 (latest version of writing this review).

I do recommend you download the latest version of EZ Gig IV Cloning software by visiting the website as the version on the supplied disc for me was a much older version than what is available for download on the EZ Gig IV Cloning Software webpage.

I simply connected the Samsung 840 Evo 500GB to the SATA end of the USB-TO-SATA cable and the USB port I plugged into a USB 3 port on my laptop. I then ran the latest version of EZ Gig IV Cloning software and it cloned my entire HDD (well 68GB in total as only used 68GB of the 750GB HDD) to the new SSD in 6 minutes!. Bare in mind my notebook is only a few months old, is high spec, however it cloned it very fast and without problems, I did try using the Samsung Data Migration Software but it would not detect the hard drive connected with the SanDisk cable. It seems many people have the same problem with the Samsung Data Migration software not detecting the SSD regardless of what USB-TO-SATA cable you use (not just the SanDisk USB-TO-SATA cable)

I would recommed the SanDisk Conversion Kit as it was faultless. Within 15 minutes max I had cloned my HDD to the SSD, installed the SSD in notebook and was up and running all within 15 minutes.
on 4 September 2014
A good set of components, everything you need to transfer your old drive to your new SSD.

Just one point though. The transfer programme tries to move all of the information on the starting drive to the SSD regardless of any partitioning on it. I had a 1Tb drive partitioned into 2 and did not have enough room on my 240Gb SSD to take the contents of both. After a slight false start, I moved some files around and the move went smoothly. It's not the size of the disk/ partition that matters, it only moves the data, it's the total amount of data on the disk which matters.
on 31 July 2013
Having bought a Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD to upgrade my daughter's rather slow to boot PC . I found that I needed a reliable program to copy the pre-nstalled Windows 7 from the HDD to the SSD. I bought this kit after some online research as it seemed the simplest to use. All the bits worked OK. Had to do a bit of dumping of unused trivial programs that kids collect and selected the options to exclude copying of documents , photo etc.. The Sandisk program then allowed copying of Windows 7 to the SSD easy enough. It takes time .So I had lunch and coffee. After which I changed the boot sequence from the HDD to SSD etc.
Hey presto the boot up and desktop appearance times are now acceptably quicker. The set up allows data to be stored on the old HDD without cluttering up the SDD.
Cons of this kit are the cost ( at least a quarter of the SDD cost again) and I found the adaptor cable is a little short.
Overall it was worth the purchase and of course I can use it again on other PCs or Laptops
on 26 December 2015
Out of the box were :-
• caddy
• small screwdriver
• generic SATA 6Gb/s cable
• Apricorn SATA to USB 3 cable
• Apricorn’s EZ Gig IV Cloning Software CD
• SanDisk quick start leaflet.
Apart from the original packing box which the kit came in, the leaflet is the only SanDisk part in the box. It is printed in a small font and in dark grey instead of rich black colour. Straight away this gave me a bad impression – as Sandisk is cost cutting, why bother with this leaflet; it didn’t give very much information; it was easier to read the instructions from Apricorn website.

The box says “Hassle-free solid state drive installation kit …….” This is an incorrect description.
• It didn’t work in Windows 7 Starter domain on 1st Toshiba NB520
• It didn’t work in MSDOS domain on 1st Toshiba NB520
• It didn’t work in Windows 7 Starter domain on 2nd Toshiba NB520
• It didn’t work in MSDOS domain on 2nd Toshiba NB520
• The only way left open to me as home user to fault-find was to try the recommended installation on 3rd computer, a HP DM4 laptop. It didn’t work in Windows 7 domain but it finally worked in MSDOS domain. (This was successful via downloaded software onto USB flash drive; with this drive inserted into laptop, then cold booted.)
o This indicated to me that the cable was ok but the EZ Gig IV was not entirely ok.
• Went back to 1st and 2nd Toshiba and used my trusted rescue software, Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010 SE (free with computer magazine at the time) to copy the HD onto SSD’s. Installation worked – proved the cable was fine but EZ Gia IV was not.
• Well maybe my computers too old ? Can’t think why as they were all genuine Windows and updated from Microsoft update site before installation. Time to try Windows 8.1 (4th computer) (again updated before EZ Gig IV installation attempt).
o Failed in Win 8.1 domain
o Failed in MSDOS domain (at least I thought was MSDOS domain, via cold boot from USB flash.)
o Successful with MiniTool Drive Copy (as another reviewer mentioned (Paragon 2010 SE was too old to deal with GPT disc)).

In conclusion, thank goodness for Christmas holidays otherwise would not have found so many days available to make these attempts by trial & errorS. This kit is going back and thanks to Amazon, no hassle return as opposed to “Hassle-free” description on the box.

My suggestion if I were to start again ? Buy a cable from another supplier because even Apricorn did not recognise it’s own cable with Window 7 Starter edition. Buy a cable from another manufacturer anyway, even if you need the rest of the kit for a desktop conversion; and if you are converting for a laptop, don’t bother with this kit. I can’t have rescue equipment that is not reliable. I am getting a cable from another supplier, SSD, and an enclosure box to create an emergency rescue drive. MiniTool was so easy to use for disc copying that I might even buy the Pro version and never touch EZ Gig again.
on 22 September 2015
Did what it said on the box. A word of warning, the version on disk is painfully out of date and slow. Take the option to download the most up to date version of the software, it will cut your cloning time by 90%.
on 25 June 2014
Had high hopes for this kit making it very easy to replace my HDD with new Scandisk Extreme II SSD. Parts in the pack were decent but the software just did not work! Tried it three times and failed to work each time! Tried one last role of the dice before sending everything (including the SSD back) which was to try a downloadable software from internet EaseUS ToDo Backup. THi sworked first time and was much faster in its processing!!
on 27 December 2015
Extremely useful kit, made my job so much easy. I had windows 10 on my HDD that needed to be cloned to the ssd before replacing the HDD by ssd. In the various reviews Websites, people have reported problems in cloning if they had windows 10. I followed the simple instructions, the first few steps took a few minutes after each click of the mouse as if the screen has frozen (saying did not detect disc) and I thought, here we go! But after a few minutes, it would progress to the next step (when it says "did not detect disc", need to have patience, upto 5-10mins). The 300 GB files took just over 1 hour to clone onto the ssd. Then I had to watch YouTube to learn how to remove HDD from desktop. It was simple. Then fixed the ssd on the mount and mount went in place of the HDD. Switched on the computer and yay! For a person like me with a limited knowledge of computers, it was not difficult at all. This kit is worth the money.
on 8 October 2015
A little disappointed that the ability to size the partitions being created was a bit coarse, beinf restricted by the sensitivity of the drag method of setting the partition size. I wanted 1Gb for one partition, but I could get nothing between the minimum 200Mb and the 9Gb which was the next size I could get. It woudl have been bertter if users could set the partition sizes numerically rather than having to drag the boundary in a GUI interface. Apart from that, it did what it was supposed to do, and it did it quite quickly.
on 20 June 2013
I Purchased a SSD hard Drive and i needed this kit for my software transfer , it worked perfectly no problems . this SSD drive has transformed the start-up time, brill Jim
on 2 July 2015
Worked flawlessly transferring my Windows 7 from a 160GB HDD to a 240GB SSD.

Plug the adapter cable in to the SSD and a USB socket on the computer. Boot the computer from the CD and follow the transfer process. Took about 1 hour 20 minutes to complete the transfer. Once completed, replaced the HDD with the SDD and booted in to Windows. Windows installed some drivers to support the SSD, and that was it. No issues at all.