on 12 December 2010
I bought this one for my wife who loves radio 7. It is compact and fits in the corner of the kitchen where it is on from the time she walks into the kitchen in the mornings until she goes to bed at night.
The CD player on top if it is very usefull as she can play discs whem there is nothing of interest for her on the beeb.
Might have been nicer to have a wide colour choice but there we go its reproduction quality cannot bee faulted mindull of its size and cost.
We still have the previous DAB which is a Pure with woody affect which worked very well but I think the tone of the Chronos is slightly better.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have to say I am genuinely amazed by the amount of low scores this great product has received. I am somebody who is very fussy about the electronics I own and use, and they have to be good to earn my enjoyment. Maybe I have been lucky with my pure purchases, as this is the second Pure product I own and the third I have purchased (I bought a pure evoke as a kitchen radio for my folks) and every one of them has met expectations, and in the case of the Pure Chronos it has exceeded them.

Firstly, the quality of build and the sound quality for the size of the unit is utterly superb. It isn't Hifi but it is very impressive, with just a small tweak needed to raise the bass and treble to +2 to bring out the sound and fill the room and job done. On DAB and CD sources I was able to go to pretty much maximum volume without the casing vibrating or distortion from the speakers which is impressive for the size and price. All the buttons feel solid to use and the unit does not move about when you press them on the front, because there is decent weight and quality to the unit.

Secondly (and this is why I bought an Evoke for my folks) is the simplicity of setting it up (a common feature of all pure products I have used), especially if you are used to conventional clock radios. It really is this simple. Plug it and the clock sets itself, the DAB tunes itself and you have to do is set your alarm clock time. If you are used to navigating an average manufacturers built in car stereo you will find this very easy. Without the using the manual, I was able to set the backlight setting, wake up volume, source to wake up to and set the tone controls to my liking, in short after initially plug in, The Chronos was 100% ready for use in less than 5 minutes.

Thirdly the features are superb. Inputs for MP3 machines or memory sticks, separate alarm times for weekdays and weekends (how many of us have been woken up early on Sunday because we forget to turn to the alarm off, or been late on Monday because we forget to turn it back on again!), or just daily alarm if you wish, a choice of four sources to wake up to... the list goes on...

I don't work for Pure or have vested interests in the company, nor is this a fan over rating the product to redress the critical reviews, I am genuinely impressed by the Chronos and would recommend one without hesitation. One of the easiest 5 stars I have ever awarded.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This product has all the features that I would like to see on a clock radio, however the product itself does not live up to the high standard I would expect from a make such as Pure and for the price - £90 up. The first thing i noticed was the noisy mechanism of the CD player. The CD can be heard spinning (clicking) and it is clearly not a high quality feature. Secondly, and more annoyingly, the transformer makes a constant ringing/buzzing noise; this actually woke me up at one point - I thought it was someone's car alarm in the distance. Although this might not be a problem in general, for an alarm clock that is designed to go next to your bed it seems a significant flaw. The radio is good and the alarm works well, but considering the other points I was forced to return it. As few alarm clocks with all these features are available on the market, it is a shame that Pure can't sort out these simple problems.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 May 2010
I purchased this to fulfil the following criterea. A bedside unit that played music from my iphone 3gs, a DAB and FM radio and an alarm that I could use to wake up to a choice of those inputs. The main and for me, deal breaking problem, is that the volume is digitally incremental and the minimum volume is FAR too loud for listening to at night. Added to this is the fact that the display is too bright on its lowest setting.
Another annoying problem is that, to get any of the buttons on the front to work, including pushing the main button, you have to push hard enough for the unit to move away from you on each press of a button. Add to this the fact that the buttons are completely flush and black with no texture so they can't be seen in the dark and you end up with something that simply isn't practical for the purpose that its marketed for.
Good points, it works fine with the 3gs and receives calls, no annoying incompatibility warning messages and charges it of course. It sounds good for its size and its a perfect size for a bedside unit. Sadly, I've had to send it back to Amazon as not fit for purpose.
I'm now looking at the Sirocco pure 150, which is a hifi, so bigger than I wanted and not marketed as a bedside unit. I've tested it. It works fine with the 3gs, has a dab and fm radio, looks like it has a nice dim but clear clock and the volume will go down to zero with no discrete steps. In short, I think the chrono would be ok in other rooms such as a kitchen, although I still don't like the flush buttons that, because the unit is too light, means you push it away from you but it's a no from me for bedroom use.
on 19 February 2010
I bought this as an upgrade of the first Pure Chronos CD player which gave up the ghost and I'm sad to say I'm very disappointed with this purchase.

As a DAB/Alarm it is fine, but as the CD player it is absolutely dreadful. The CD drive when playing disc has an incredibly loud rattle which is audible from across the other side of the room. You really have to ramp up the volume to drown it out - not ideal when you are trying to drift off to sleep.

I've purchased serveral products from the Pure DAB family over the years, but this time I regret choosing their product.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bought this as a replacement for a CD-player with two stand-alone speakers, for my living room. It has a smallish footprint (space it takes up - not carbon!!), one power cable and one antenna-wire. The sound is fine, and quite enough for radio as well as CD - as long as you don't expect it to work for parties where it would have to overcome twenty people talking!
I have played it at loud volume and there is no distortion.

I think this was designed for the bedroom, what with the dimming readout-display and the alarm. I have not tried it there. for the living it is fine, except that the remote is so small that it is easy to lose... and my (small) gripe is that while you can charge your iPod via the USB-slot on top, you cannot play it through the same slot. You are supposed to play it through the AUX audio-in slot at the front, which has a hole to receive a plug like the plug on your headphone cable; in other words, you need a cable with *two* plugs like that. I don't have that. But hey, I did not buy it for that purpose. I bought it as a DAB radio, and as a CD player, and it functions very well for those two purposes!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 August 2010
I was looking for a small CD Player with DAB radio and at last I found one. Overall this unit is fantastic, good value for money. I went through the operating manual 3/4 times and kept finding some more useful features. The clarity of radio and CD playback are good even for such small speakers. You must appreciate that this is a radio alarm clock, so do not expect a big sound; higher volume tends to distort output (sounds boxy) but it is ample for a bedroom or kitchen. As soon as it was switched on it set the time and tuned the radio stations automatically. It is fairly easy to operate. Remote handset is rather fiddly, it would have been nice to be able to key in the numbers for preset radio stations. PURE have come up with good DAB systems and I think this is one more of them.
on 17 August 2012
Before I bought the Chronos II I read all the bad (3 stars and less) and a fair proportion of the 5 star reviews, if I'm honest I simply didn't believe the bad press sighting the CD player as far too noisy, opting instead to buy the device due to a previous experience with a good quality Pure Siesta DAB radio. I was very wrong; the Chronos II (well, the one I got and many other punters according to the reviews here) had a very poor CD mechanism wherein once the CD was mounted it scraped on the housing causing not only the noise reported but in time potential damage to a regularly played CD. I wrote to Pure about this, explained essentially what I have just said above and despite me asking them not to send the standard customer support blah blah response (and we've all had those) they did exactly that. Further correspondence with them left me with the general impression that they really weren't that bothered! I sent the Chronos II back and got a full refund. I had half a mind (and on reflection that's probably all I needed) to buy the Pure Internet/DAB radio too but due to my less than satisfactory experience with their customer support people I will not be parting with my hard earned cash on another Pure product now, or in the future. Oh yeah, they weren't bothered about that either!
on 6 May 2013
I really want to like this product as it looks good, but I find myself sighing and putting up with it. The front buttons are really annoying and almost impossible to use when you're just about to go to sleep or just waking up. I use the remote control mostly, but its fiddly too and hard to know which way up it is in the dark. Another problem is the dimmest light setting is still quite bright (which must be to help you with the buttons and remote control!). Lastly, and most annoying, the lowest volume is too loud for some gentle music as you go to sleep - this is what I miss the most as I end up just putting it off when I would have preferred background music. I previously owned the Pure clock radio without the CD player and have to say it was much better, but packed in after 2 years, so I was a bit dubious when buying this product. Think it will annoy me more as time goes on but I am so disappointed!
07.11.13 - I have now used this product for some time and have reduced my stars to 1. Turns itself up regularly and has now even started to change stations! Buttons are really hard to use and often refuse to work. Light for clock irregularly goes off. Very very disappointed and would not buy PURE product again. Its got to the stage where I think it is alive and think I will have to throw it out as I am totally spooked!
on 10 December 2013
The machine has a touch of quality about it both inside and outside. The smartest thing you have on your hi fi cabinet or your desk.

I practically tried all other machines and each of them had some drawbacks!! Even the ones costing 3 times this model. Some important features that are missing from other systems are listed below:

Having a separate bass control
Having a separate treble control
Having a large display that shows everything including the station name, the programme description being broadcasted, and the time and signal strength etc. all together, large enough to be read easily.
Variable control to adjust the screen brightness
The time that display stays on
Front accessible headphone socket
Aux input for MP3 players or any other devices

To my amazement this fantastic player has all the above features. You might have noticed that treble and bass control has gradually disappeared from all manufacturers specifications - which is very daft as to me it is the most important feature when it comes to listening to DABS radio!! Some models have included a very useless and annoying facility known as equalizer with several preset tones and none of these create the desired sound and they are never as effective as having proper separate Bass and Treble controls.

The CD cover is perfectly damped and lens is accessible for cleaning manually. It comes with a good remote control too. It even charges your other devices by having a USB port on the top. It also has another USB port at the bottom for software update.

The product has been built to the highest quality. with four way speaker system that produces perfect sound.

The CD player is perfect, and works perfectly and smoothly, with controls located at the the top of the system making them very accessible. The clock has every functions you desire and can be related to radio alarms and so on.

It is very easy to select any input including MP3/ Aux, DAB radio, \FM radio, CD etc. This is also displayed on the wide screen.

This is the most flexible and adoptable system to give to true quality sound and I love it. I pay three times this price for it. You can throw away your Roberts radios when you get this one.