on 27 August 2012
This is a welcome addition to the growing oeuvre of (often self-published) memoirs of childhood in Glasgow. This is well-written. It has a simple sentence structure which carries the narrative at a good pace. The writing is expressive, indeed, poetic in places, with appropriate use of Glasgow phrases. The author writes fondly of (well, most of!) the people of his childhood, but he does not hide their shortcomings and peccadilloes. Glasgow's east end suffers from a terrible reputation of drunkenness, violence and criminality, much deriving from the novel "No Mean City" and relentless media presentation of gang fights and sectarianism. These, indeed, happened in the east end, but this memoir tells of the great majority of working-class people living decent, law-abiding lives, striving for better lives for their children. It brings technicolor to a film that is usually shown in grainy grey. There are many places where quiet chortles give way to guffaws. Several chapters end with part of the preceding narrative presented in a 10/12 panel cartoon strip drawn by the author himself, and presenting himself as a pie-faced boy with a pudding-bowl haircut, in the style of his beloved Merry Mac's Fun Parade of the Sunday Post. This is a really good read that is insightful and poignant as well as humorous.
on 19 January 2013
I grew up in Rutherglen a couple of miles away and the book was just so true, my "Party Piece" was A wee cock sparra as sung by Duncan McCrae.
I annoyed my wife by laughing out loud and reading her bits until she read it herself and growing up in Cranhill recognised a lot of it too.
The cartoons add to the overall joy of the book.
Pure Dead Brilliant
on 29 April 2014
Having grown up in the east end of Glasgow in the 50's I found David Moffat's memories of that time similar to my own. It is Glasgow humour at its best. I laughed from the beginning to the end of the book and I can honestly say no other book has had that effect.
I would definitely recommend this book particularly to anyone who grew up in Glasgow during the 50's but also to anyone who enjoys Glasgow humour.
on 3 July 2013
This is a book of nostalgia for those of us brought up in 1950's/60's Glasgow. However it is a bit too personalised. The author has dotted some sketches/jokes at the end of each chapter which I think appears to serve his own opinion that he is an accomplished cartoonist. I found them rather bland.
An interesting read only if you have a connection with Glasgow and in particular the centre of the city.
The book does hold a few humorous moments but also some dark times as well.
The Kindle price makes it worth the purchase but it is not a book you will remember much about once you have read it.
on 20 August 2012
This is a fine piece of light reading (with plenty of punchlines)as well as a vital chunk of social history. I'm a bit of a stone-face but I laughed out loud a couple of times. And it wasn't only over the whelks - or the mysteries of kissing. I could almost smell the place David Moffat is talking about; Anyone who has been a child will recognise plenty in this shadowy but noisy and colourful past - and it's bound to find room on virtual bookshelves anywhere there is an ex-pat Glaswegian. That probably means everywhere.
Cliff Hanley
on 12 April 2015
I loved this book, I went to Annfield school in the fifties and had forgotten a lot of my early childhood, but this book has brought it all back to me, from going to the Bluevale street Steamie with my grannie , and getting a crew cut with friction at Scobies the barbers on bridgeton cross, memories of the Orient cinema and the wee Scotia, to the fresh air holiday in the big mansion in Galloway, i loved the woods there too, and the beach where we would collect periwinkle shells,
thank you so much for refreshing my memory
on 14 January 2013
This is a memoir both of boyhood (the author wisely stops at the threshold of adolescence, which is a quite different world), and of a boyhood at a specific time and place: the 1950s in the working-class city-centre of Glasgow. It is both unpretentious and precise - an excellent pair of qualities - and further enhanced by the author's strip-cartoons. The lost worlds that it evokes, of the simplicities both of childhood and of that time before the Sixties hit us, are beautifully, even poignantly, re-created.
on 17 February 2013
I enjoyed this book immensely. My childhood was in Lanarkshire in the 70's but this book still mirrored many aspects of my early years. The author could have been writing about my own mother when he wrote of his, which made the book very poignant for me. Most of all though, I found this little book laugh out loud funny as it evoked some long forgotten memories. The little cartoon strips were great too. I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time. Highly recommended.
on 17 May 2013
This well written and absorbing history is set in one of Glasgow's most famous roads in the days gone by that many weegies remember with fondness, and pleasure. Despite living in intolerable conditions by today's standards, the sense of community held these Eastenders together through all that life threw at them. An absorbing read that leaves you hungry for more. David Moffat writes with obvious pride in theplace and the people from whom he rose.
on 23 February 2013
A good read, and an insight into Glasgow in the 1950's and most boys oft his era will idintify themselves with the author