Westerns Collection [Blu-ray] [1956] [Region Free]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£14.90+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 12 April 2013
Being a Western-novice, I sought a place to begin my Western collection after seeing The Magnificent Seven on TV; however, after doing a bit of searching on Amazon I came across this magnificent blu-ray collection. Featuring 5 remastered movies ranging from the 1950s to mid 1980s, the Westerns Collection offers a variety of Westerns fit for novices and enthusiasts alike.

Ok, so the films are spread across 5 discs in 2 blu-ray boxes which offers ease of access. Moreover, the special features are conveniently placed on each film's disc, but to access this feature you must access the films menu - something you are not immediately presented with upon starting the film (the films begin immediately and you are not taken to a menu).

With regards to quality it is nothing short of spectacular. With the oldest film lacking the visual spark of the newer ones (which can be excused as it's from the 50s), the quality is still phenomenally impressive for each film and certainly stacks among the best remastered films I've ever seen.

Now, before I end this review I'd like to inform you that if your TV isn't huge (and I mean bigger than 40 inches), then you won't be able to properly experience 'How The West Was Won'. This is because the film utilized the 'Cinerama' effect which means that the film is built up of 3 simultaneous camera shots rather than the usual one. Anyhow, it still looks fantastic regardless of looking a bit small if you don't have a huge TV.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend this set enough. Buy it. I really want second one.
on 16 November 2014
I'm completely baffled by the 3 Star and 1 Star reviews of this set that are complaining about the audio and video quality of this set.

I'd suggest that the reviewers in question either need to take a very close look at how their playback systems are set up, or they need to get their eyes and ears tested.

First of all audio quality. Melfol complains...

"Surround sound was inadequate for blu-ray on most of the movies. In fact I questioned whether the sound was even in stereo."

There's a very simple reason for that. A simple perusal of the information for the discs will reveal that "The Searchers" and "Rio Bravo" have mono soundtracks as neither film was originally shot or presented in stereo let alone a surround sound format.

"The Wild Bunch" also never had a surround soundtrack for its original theatrical showings. A high quality 5.1 track was created by Warner for this Blu Ray release so sound is mainly focused on the front three speakers with occasional ambient surround effects. Bass extension is modest, because, with very rare exceptions, that's how movies sounded in the 1960s. Again, nothing wrong with this soundtrack at all. Indeed on a good quality home cinema setup this new 5.1 mix will be an improvement on how the film would have been heard on its original cinema release

As to R. Cowie's comment...

"Totally rubbish sound quality. 150watts of surround sound turned to max (usually no more than half) and could barely hear the dialogue."

...all I can say is that on my set up the sound, dialogue included, is crystal clear and perfectly balanced. In fact if I came anywhere near playing these discs at reference levels the sound would blow my windows out.

Video quality on four of the five titles is outstanding with "The Searchers" and "How the West Was Won" being particularly stunning transfers, not only because of the quality of the transfers but due to the source materials being high quality Vista Vision and Cinerama prints. The only disc that is less than stellar is "Pale Rider", which while a decent transfer, it lacks the natural, filmic quality and picture depth of some of the other transfers, but even then it is more than adequate and a huge improvement over the DVD transfer.

Definitely gents (or ladies) look to your equipment set up or get an eye and/or hearing test.

Outstanding quality and outstanding value. Not only that two stone cold classics and three other great films. Highly recommended.
on 9 May 2014
Warner Home Video's Westerns Collection, Feature 5 Great Films On Blu-Ray For A Great Price, A Real Bargain.
Titles Comprise: Pale Rider, The Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo, How The West Was Won & The Searchers.
This Is A Must-Have For Western Fans, As It Features Great Quality Filmmaking In Stunning 1080p Full HD Transfers.

Pale Rider (1985) - 16x9 2.4:1 Widescreen Format
The Wild Bunch: Original Director's Cut (1969) - 16x9 2.4:1 Widescreen Format
Rio Bravo (1959) - 16x9 1.85.1 Widescreen Format
How The West Was Won (1962) - 16x9 2.89:1 Original Cinemascope Format (With Join Lines Digitally Removed)
The Searchers (1956) - 16x9 1.85.1 Widescreen Format

The Best Looking Film In 1080p Is How The West Was Won Restored & Upscaled In It's Original Cinemascope Format, With The Original Join Lines Now Removed. All Films Feature Special Features The Only One Suffering From Lack Of Extras Is Pale Rider, But The Rest Feature Some Great Archival Extras Froms Previous Releases On DVD. This Is An Excellent Set That Is A Bargain (Was £15, When I Purchased), And Features Some Excellent Examples Of Filmmaking
on 5 November 2013
Very good value box set of classic westerns. 4 out of 5 of these Blu-ray transfers are exellent, only Rio Bravo letting the team down slightly. How The West Was Won, Wild Bunch and Pale Rider are well presented in wide screen format and Searchers and Rio Bravo in 1 : 85 format. Searchers and HTWWW are of amazing quality ( picture & sound ) despite the inevitable distortion of the Cinerama format of HTWWW. The quality of Rio Bravo is not as good but both the acting and action make up for it.
The Wild Bunch is the best version I have ever seen with Sam Peckinpah's unmistakable style and action sequences. Pale Rider again is the best version I have seen and the mysterious Preacher reminds me of Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter. Eastwood drifts into the mining community, does his work in benevolent fashion to the pan handlers and devestating to the mining boss and his hired gunmen and then drifts out again!
on 25 September 2012
I have just received my box set of these great westerns today 25th Sept 2012.
I am thouroughly pleased as punch ,I have actually got 3 of these westerns in stand alone editions ,but I hadn't got 'How the West was won' ,and 'Rio Bravo' which I
desperatly wanted on Blu-ray was only available from a greedy seller for £49.95.
so my best option was to buy this set even though I have 3 films myself ,so personally, I was getting the other two for £15.00 which I would say was a good move.
Now about this set ,all the films are housed in two standard (Blu-ray) boxes ,
Part One : 'Pale rider/ The Wild Bunch/ Rio bravo, Part Two :How the West was won/
The Searchers .the artwork on the sleeve designs is exactly the same as the outer
case ,with the same pictures of each film, personally ,I would have prefered slimline
boxes with each films own artwork ,but griping aside I am pleased with this set ,as
it sits neat on the shelf without taking up space, so I hope this 'Sypnosis' gives you an idea what to expect. I would say grab at this price before it rises ,as £3 per
film is oustanding! especially on (Blu-ray) GET IT NOW OR CLINT WILL CRACK SOME HICKORY ACROSS YER ,AND JOHN WAYNE WILL COME SEARCHING FOR YER AND BLOW YER TO HELL.
Thanks for reading .Kind regards Barry. Oh yes and the quality for the three I have seperately is AWSOME! I have Pale Rider (Import) so I will play this and see if its the same as in this U.K Boxset ,all Special Features are the same as stand alone releases BUY IT NOW!.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 March 2013
These films are Amazing on Blu ray, I bought these for my dad and he is astounded every time he watches them at how detailed they are. The one with the panorama style vision is so clear you'd swear it was only made last week not 50 years ago, extremely impressed, and value for money wise, the searchers by itself is about the same price roughly but you get the exact smae version (with special features) in this box set.
on 13 October 2013
All the films on here are highly watchable again and again. A very well put together list of classic westerns the highlight for me being the wild bunch. Great value for money.
on 6 March 2013
Pale Rider was the only disc titled. The other four have pictures and region codes, but know lettering of titles. If you have half of a brain, then you have five Bluray Westerns that you'll never tire of at a great price. You will have no problem knowing which movie is on which disc. That's where the half of a brain comes into play!! Cheers. Wesley B. Loflin III
on 29 March 2014
A good collection of westerns, especially if you haven't watched many before. It's good for seeing if they are your sort of thing. Also the quality of them in blu ray is surprisingly good considering the age of the films. The colour looks lovely and the HD scenery is even more impressive.
on 17 October 2012
An alternative box set but using the same artwork as the Amazon collection is available elsewhere. This includes PALE RIDER, THE SEARCHERS, OUTLAW JOSEY WALES, THE WILD BUNCH, PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID. This is found on a website called Base.
Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid cannot be found on blu ray elsewhere, though TCM HD are showing it on Sky and the quality is excellent. But what's going on? We western fans are being fed mixed but overlapping choices here. Very Strange. I already have The Searchers on blu ray and the colours are astonishing. I've been to Monument Valley and in The Searchers, the place never looked better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...