Format: DVD|Change

on 8 January 2011
Well, i loved all of the books and read them all. The books were brilliant and displayed lots of detail and excellent ideas & description.

But, the film i have to say was a let down. There were lots of things in it that went against what the book said. Even the storyline was a bit frayed. I thought the movie was a good family movie... if you haven't read the book. I found myself correcting the movie in my head when i was watching it, criticising it and thinking, 'that isn;t right? It should be like this!?'

So, get it if you haven't read the book. But if you have read the book a_n_d_ your critical, then don't bother.
on 14 August 2010
Sadly I recommend getting this from the library first so you don't spend more money on it than it is worth.

The trailers make it look spectacular and the effects were good. It was also a good story which is why I gave it three stars.

It just didn't give me a feeling of excitement about all the adventures. I was left feeling underwhelmed, and I still haven't managed to work out exactly why. I'm quite good at suspending my disbelief and losing myself in a story and I had difficulty doing that with this particular film.

I think young children would enjoy it, up to the age of about twelve.
on 18 October 2014
I never do reviews with spoilers and if I ever did I'd give a warning, but for this movie I'll make the exception even though it's so loosely based on the book that it spoils absolutely nothing! I don't honestly know how it got away with it because not only did they miss out loads but changed the remainder so that it barely resembled the book. This might not be so bad if Rick Riordan's book wasn't so fricking amazing! When I wrote this review it had been a long time since I read the series but still I noticed so many differences I can't even imagine how bad it would be if I watched the movie again recently.

The director Chris Columbus has a lot to answer for that's for sure. You'd think that after directing a couple Harry Potter movies he'd know how to do it (stick to the book as much as possible) so I don't understand how he could stray so badly. I saw one fan say and I agree 100% "not sticking completely to a Potter book...understandable, they are 1,000 pages each...Not coming close on a book 350 pages long...not forgivable." I could make a list of everything major he missed including Kronos, Ares (a hell of a lot of Ares; there was no fight scene what so ever and he got no blame) plus Clarisse, Mr. D, the furys and the oracle. There was no prophecy. Just let that sink in a minute. No oracle: no life-changing, ground-breaking prophecy!

So don't watch the movie expecting any of these things and more, basically don't expect an adaptation of the book.

Don't even get me started on the actors... I could be petty and point out the smaller things like Annabeth's hair wasn't her signature blonde, or Poseidon wasn't wearing his signature Hawaiian shirts, but that could go on forever and it's easy enough to get over and even change in movies to come. However I can't believe how old they are. Percy Jackson was played by Logan Lerman who was 17 years old at the time, yet Percy is supposed to be 12. Same with Annabeth who was even older at 23 years old.

I can almost understand where Columbus is coming from but if he can make child actors work with Harry Potter what makes this so different? Especially since the whole series is working up to Percy's 16th birthday because of the prophecy... but oh wait! The missed that out didn't they... *rolls eyes*

Maybe if you're not a fan or simply haven't read the books you might enjoy this fan but I can't help but refer back and it honestly can't compare.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/
on 26 December 2012
When I was a kid I endlessly watched the original Clash Of The Titans and Jason of The Argonauts on VHS and I know this would have been one of my favourite films if I'd seen it as a kid. It's great for all the family but it's best audience is 8-14 year olds who will appreciate the pop-culture references (winged converses a particularly good highlight) and it's a bit "cooler" than Narnia while staying in the fantasy adventure genre. So if you're buying this as family entertainment or for a younger audience it's really good and a must see. However, the adult more cynical audience will find some problems with this, the structure is very videogame like, we have to go here, collect three of these things, fight the final boss ect it's not bad and moves at a nice fast pace and is under two hours but it needs a slight restructuring and a trim, a good example is a scene in a casino, it looks great and has some nice jokes but you wouldn't miss it if the scene was cut. There are loads of mythical creatures in this, minotaur, hydra ect and these CGI monsters look good but they are what you would expect so for newcomers to this type of film it is a good introduction but to the adults and mythology veterans we've seen these monsters before and we've seen them done more creatively (the stop motion Harryhausen Medusa is unbeatable in it's creativity and scariness). The kids are all pretty arrogant and egotistical but they are demi-Gods so actually it kind of works well for it. This also extends to the Gods played mainly by Sean Bean and Kevin McKidd, they aren't old and wise but instead young, temperamental, jealous siblings. It's a much more interesting take on the Gods than seen in the new Clash Of The Titans and it would benefit the film if they were in it more. Pierce Brosnan, Steve Coogan and Rosario Dawson have characters that were well established and I would have liked to see more of them in a sequel.
However, one big problem in the film is the twist reveal of the villain, it's stupid because we haven't spent enough time with the character to care about him or feel the emotion behind his motivations and this could have been solved so simply if the character had been involved in the quest more.
However, these are quite small issues in a film that is consistently adventurous, fun and exciting. Kids will love it and there is some nice moments and ideas for older audiences. My last positive thing to say about this movie is that I would much rather have seen a sequel to this than to Clash Of The Titans.
on 31 August 2012
Perhaps the core concept shouldn't work so well, blending Greek mythology with our modern civilization, through a character like Percy...but you know what? it actually works well!

I've found this to be on sale, I was bored so, liking fantasy stuff I've decided to give it a go & lucky I did! I know everybody compares this to Harry Potter saga, but being fair it's not that HP invented the concept, it was already there, made previously by others less known as well; so I believe it works when done smartly, & I must admit that this is cool.
Even if you're not a kid, it's 1 of those good for the whole family viewing: in my opinion, it's less tiresome than Potter since it flows well being shorter in lenght, plus it has the quality of having a great humour & the action pace is just right. It even does have a proper plot's twist towards the end that gives it a double spin...well moreover Percy is encouranging for a kid since he's not perfect, he's some very human problems etc, basically he's not the typical boring heroe.

The young actors are cute & right for the part, the director is 1 of the best with kids' movies (in fact he did also some in the Potter series): but you'll recognize also some most known face in the Gods' roles. It's also filmed in beautiful locations in America (I swear I didn't see Vegas as an option here but it made sense instead ;-P).
Let's hope they continue the saga then, I've known that it's based on a series of books...in the meantime, if you're in the mood for a nice adventure, this is for you too.
on 11 July 2010
I for one really enjoyed the book and the movie but i think the book is much better though i did enjoy the movie and i found it very funny but the problem it didn't really follow the book at all and i don't really want to complain much but here it goes the first thing is that (for people who have read the book) in the book he is 12 and in the movie he is 16 and the problem is that in the book there is this big prophecy about him when he turns 16 but how are they going to do that when he is already 16? The second is luke, my favourite character in the book he doesn't steal the bolt of lightning for his own propose to "prove" he is better than hermes? he is doing it because he is a follower of kronos who he wants to bring back and how on earth are they going to carry that on the next movies (which they are going to do?) now the third thing is that they don't go to the underworld because they need to save his mum blah blah... it's because although everyone else thinks he has the bolt of lightning, percy and his friends thinks hades and they go on a QUEST in the book not runaway like in the movie? even though that did add a good dramatic scene in the movie and what was with the three blue gems? they were never ever in the book! they missed out on the other stuff like grover getting dragged near the pit? although i was disappointed with this i really liked the movie and found it very humorous with grover and a thrilling adventure, i didn't want to end this review with me nagging so just to be clear i actually loved the movie i was only upset they didn't follow the book. Thanks for reading :) xx
on 7 July 2010
OK. I saw this in the cinema and I had not read the books before (I didn't even know that there were books of it) and I loved it SO much! I had no idea who the thief was but my dad picked it up pretty fast. I though the graphics were amazing and it was quite funny.

The film follows Percy Jackson, an dyslexic boy who lived with his mum and step-dad, "Smelly Gabe", who discovers he is the son of a Greek god. Percy (at first, I couldn't take that name seriously - come on, Percy the hero?) is whisked away to Camp Half-Blood, a haven for half-bloods/demi-gods/children of gods and goddesses. Things seem to be going OK for Percy, until things go a little bit wrong, so Percy goes on a quest to find Zeus' missing lighning bolt with his satyr friend Grover and daughter of Athena, Annabeth.

After really enjoying the film, I read the book. The book is awesome, by the way. But I discovered that many things were axed from the book in the film. These things were in the book but were not in the film:
Annabeth has blonde hair
Percy finds out who his father is when playing capture the flag
Chiron is actually disguised as Percy's Latin teacher at first
Oracle
Dionysus, Selena, Beckendorf, Clarisse or Ares
Cabins
Iris messages
Zoo animals in the truck they find
In the book they are 12/13 - in the film, they are 16/17
The gods wearing different clothes according to what they are the god of instead of togas (e.g. Zeus has a pinstripe suit as he is boss of the gods, Poseidon has beach shorts etc.)

I know that films can never stay true to the books, but it would've been nice if a few more things were included. Nevertheless, this is still a great film and it is well worth reading the book too.

I hope they make the rest of the series!
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2010
This tells the story of Percy Jackson, a young teenager who lives with his mother and her abusive boyfriend. He never met his real dad, but possesses extraordinary skills, especially those related to swimming. When on a school trip at a museum, he is attacked by a demon. After narrowly surviving, he is told that he is actually a demigod, whose real father was the Greek god Poisedon, god of the ocean. This explains his swimming ability! He is also told that there are more children like him, sired by different gods, and each with powers that correspond to their godly parents. The children are gathered together and told they must reclaim the "lightning", which has been stolen. Many adventures then follow, including fights with Medusa and a Hydra, and even a visit to the underworld for a very interesting encounter with the god Hades, who has a secret...

The special effects are amazing, and visually this film is one of the best I have ever seen. Uma Thurman is briefly in the film as Medusa, and her duel with the children is very impressive. One feature of the film that is very appealing is how new technology has been added. For example, they cannot look directly at Medusa, so track her through looking at her through the camera function of their mobile phone. I really enjoyed this way of weaving the Greek legends with modern technology.

All in all, this was a great film, and genuinely escapist fun that will be enjoyed by all ages.
on 6 June 2010
I think this is a great movie as I've been to see it twice at the cinema!!!!
I've read the books which I recommend highly so I was anxious to see the movie and I really hope that all 5 books are turned into movies!!!

Unfortunately I can't say that the movie reflects the book brilliantly here is a list of the problems:
Annabeth doesn't have blonde hair or grey eyes
Percy starts at camp as Poseidons child he is in fact meant to find out that Poseidon is his dad when capture the flag is played.
Neither Clarisse, Ares, Silena, Beckendorf or Dionysus are mentioned at all
There is not an oracle included
The ending is so different from the original
They don't include burning an American monument or blowing up a bus
And just to add Clarisse must be mentioned she plays a big role in the second book

this is why my review is called Hmmmmm..... I really can't make up my mind but it really is a great family movie and I'm going to buy the DVD! and all the others if they create movies out of them!
on 6 February 2012
First i will say that i did enjoy this film. It's fun and kids will enjoy it, and if you haven't read the books, its actually a fairly good film (in my opinion).

However, avid fans of the books may be disappointed. There are a lot of deviations from the books, the first and most obvious being that Annabeth is darked haired (rather than blonde as in the book) & Grover is black & fairly cool & confident (in the books he is quite an awkward, unconfident person with curly brown hair). If you can get past these differences of characters, there are still a fair few differences in the plot(such as the ending with Luke), although the basis is the same.

So fans of the books, be prepared for potential disappointment if you want a film that is exactly like the book. If, like me, you are open to some differences, you will probably enjoy it, especially Logan Lerman's performance as Percy, which for me fitted the character to a T. If you haven't read the books and you enjoy family films, this is just that: a good family film for everyone.

& I'm excited to hear the news of a potential sequel! :)