5.0 out of 5 stars Aca-awesome
Published on 9 Dec. 2012 by Fiction_Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars An alright film, but definitely over-hyped
I started watching this film with very high expectations. My friends and many critics had raved about how good this film was and I was excited to finally see the film from which the infamous 'cup song' had originated. Unfortunately, with every passing minute of this film, my expectations dropped lower and lower until the point where I was thoroughly bewildered by all the...
Published 14 months ago by Laura Hartley

5.0 out of 5 stars Aca-awesome, 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I love a good musical film and TV shows like Glee so when I saw the trailer for Pitch Perfect at the cinema, I knew it was something that I had to go see. The trailer was funny and only showed clips of songs sung so it didn't really give too much away. The plot is pretty basic and quite predictable but that's normally what you get with this kind of film anyway. In a made up university, different a cappella groups battle it out for places in the national championships and to prove which group is the best in the university.

Anna Kendrick has begun to do quite well for herself since having a small part in the Twilight films. I really liked her in What to Expect When You're Expecting and because of that, it made me want to watch this film even more. Kendrick plays main character Beca, who can be described as alternative compared to the other girls at this particular university. She has a strong interest in making her own mixes of music and generally walks around with a big pair of headphones on. Beca is a witty and outspoken character which I liked about her. She isn't afraid to state her mind when she thinks she can make something better or thinks that something is wrong. Kendrick was really good in this role and played in perfectly.

Being a film about musical groups, there is quite a large cast. From The Bellas, next to Kendrick, Brittany Snow and Rebel Wilson shine in particular. Snow plays one of the leaders of the group and is one of the nicer girls while Wilson plays Fat Amy, a larger Australian girl. I loved the character of Fat Amy so much because she was just hilarious. She has some amazingly funny lines throughout the whole film. Actually, she was probably my favourite character in the whole film and now I want to see more of what she has been in. Unfortunately, the male characters/ cast in the film were nowhere near as good as the girls and even love interest Jesse played by Skylar Astin was a let-down.

Pitch Perfect has a pretty strange soundtrack. Along with some really current songs such as Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars and Right Round by Flo Rida, there are also songs such as The Sign by Ace of Base and Eternal Flame by The Bangles. However, the mix of songs was something that I found to be really interesting and something that set this film apart from other musicals. The mix of songs is done in such a way though that they go really well together and there are certain reasons for some of the songs. The soundtrack to this film is fantastic and one I would actually like to own.

Overall, as cheesy and predictable as this film is, I loved it. The cast and characters are what made this film so good and along with a funny script and great songs, it was an instant hit for me. This will definitely be getting a place in my DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!!!!, 31 Mar. 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed it, think my other half is fed up of watching it now, though I think he secretly loves it too lol.
Just one thing is that we bought the non HD version and the quality is pretty poor in some places, so probably worth buying the HD version for the extra coupla quid :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good film!, 2 May 2014
Also glad to hear a second film is coming in a year or two. I don't usually like movies that just seem to act like Glee, but characters such as Fat Amy which is what she is called on film so not being offensive, but yeah she just made it a right laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS FILM, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Such a fun film that you cannot help but watch more than once and sing along. I recommend you download the sound track too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glee without the twee, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Rival male and female a- cappella groups from the same college compete for national glory.

The foundation of Pitch Perfect is the well tested Glee formula of classic songs being reinterpreted by the singing groups; added to this is a great cast and some very funny (and a few gross) moments that manage to target a wide audience.

Harmless, very enjoyable and a guaranteed foot-tapper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I remember when my boyfriend brought this out for us to watch - I nearly died a thousand deaths.
I did NOT want to watch it, thinking that it would be some horrendous musical....like that high school musical or whatever it was.
But i was so wrong, at the end I had to take everything that I had previously said back.
I LOVED it.....It's now one of my favourite films.
It's nothing like a musical, and it is indeed funny!
Probably even for both sexes; I know a few young men who like it!
Great film! Can't wait for the follow up!....although it will probably disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Featuring the cup song!, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
A brilliant rom com for the family. If you like singing, this is the film for you. A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this film!!, 30 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
We love this film, gets you singing, gets you laughing and gets your feet tapping! Really good film!! Can't find anything bad to say about this film!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOT A "GLEE" FULL MOVIE !!!, 29 Mar. 2014
Travmeister (Carlton, Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Clearly aimed at the "Gleeks" (fans of TVs Glee), this uplifting & entertaining musical, comedy, romantic drama really hits the spot.
Now I have to admit .... I am a bit of a Glee fan, but having said that, this movie is "soooooo" entertaining I'm sure even non-Glee fans will enjoy it !

I WATCHED IT 4 TIMES AT THE CINEMA ..... & ENJOYED IT JUST AS MUCH ON EVERY VIEWING !!!
(a very rare & difficult thing for a film to achieve !)

Great cast (including Rebel Wilson as the hilarious "Fat Amy!"), fresh script, inspired direction & really excellent music set pieces ..... All resulting in a thoroughly entertaining movie !

RICHIES RATING = 84%

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 27 Mar. 2014
i chose this rating because it was a very funny film and both my girls loved this film and have watched it numerous times!!

Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012]
Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012] by Jason Moore (DVD - 2013)