Pitch Perfect [DVD] [2012]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£4.87+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 March 2014
We love this film, gets you singing, gets you laughing and gets your feet tapping! Really good film!! Can't find anything bad to say about this film!!
on 13 January 2014
This film draws you in straight away with some gorgeous singing from the male A cappella group on campus at Barden University where the film is set, we are then quickly introduced to the main character Beca played by Anna Kendrick who is not happy to be there, she's a little alternative and doesn't think college life has anything to offer her, she wants to go to LA to get into music production.
Beca's dad who teaches at Barden makes a deal with his daughter when she doesn't embrace what's on offer, he says she can go to LA after one year if she still hates it but only if she joins one extra curricular activity.
After some persuasion from one of the leaders of the female A Cappella team, The Barden Bellas, Beca decides to go to the auditions and she's really good, it's there that we also meet the rest of the main cast.
There are some great supporting characters in this film, Beca's love interest Jesse played by Skylar Astin who wants to score movies and joins the boys rival A Cappella group 'The treble makers' and Beca's team mates on 'The Barden Bellas',Fat Amy played by Rebel Wilson in particular, she has most of the funny lines.I should also mention Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins who play the commentators at the competitions, though they are small parts, they stood out to me as some of the best parts of Pitch perfect, these were the parts which had my sister and I laughing out loud.
There is so much to enjoy in this film, The singing is fantastic, the script is witty and quick and the characters were diverse and interesting, I particularly liked some of the funny lines playing on musical words, I won't spoil those though.
Overall Pitch perfect is a great film, yes it's a bit predictable but it's not cheesy,I love Glee which this is obviously going to be compared to but this is slicker, it's all pretty cool and the singing is truly stunning, I can't wait for the sequel.
on 13 June 2014
Okay, so i bought this movie for girls night with a few friends (sleepover). Since we all watched it we have not stopped. We have bought the songs from the movie watched it a thousand and 1 times. I now find my dad watches it a lot too, if its on TV he's watching it. He put it on his ipad so he can watch it wherever, he watches the songs on his computer through Youtube. He watches it all the time. I had no idea i had unleashed an obsession. He is obsessed with it. He sings along and everything. It's madness. He also found out that theres another one to come out... HELP!!
on 2 May 2014
Also glad to hear a second film is coming in a year or two. I don't usually like movies that just seem to act like Glee, but characters such as Fat Amy which is what she is called on film so not being offensive, but yeah she just made it a right laugh.
on 9 December 2012
I love a good musical film and TV shows like Glee so when I saw the trailer for Pitch Perfect at the cinema, I knew it was something that I had to go see. The trailer was funny and only showed clips of songs sung so it didn't really give too much away. The plot is pretty basic and quite predictable but that's normally what you get with this kind of film anyway. In a made up university, different a cappella groups battle it out for places in the national championships and to prove which group is the best in the university.

Anna Kendrick has begun to do quite well for herself since having a small part in the Twilight films. I really liked her in What to Expect When You're Expecting and because of that, it made me want to watch this film even more. Kendrick plays main character Beca, who can be described as alternative compared to the other girls at this particular university. She has a strong interest in making her own mixes of music and generally walks around with a big pair of headphones on. Beca is a witty and outspoken character which I liked about her. She isn't afraid to state her mind when she thinks she can make something better or thinks that something is wrong. Kendrick was really good in this role and played in perfectly.

Being a film about musical groups, there is quite a large cast. From The Bellas, next to Kendrick, Brittany Snow and Rebel Wilson shine in particular. Snow plays one of the leaders of the group and is one of the nicer girls while Wilson plays Fat Amy, a larger Australian girl. I loved the character of Fat Amy so much because she was just hilarious. She has some amazingly funny lines throughout the whole film. Actually, she was probably my favourite character in the whole film and now I want to see more of what she has been in. Unfortunately, the male characters/ cast in the film were nowhere near as good as the girls and even love interest Jesse played by Skylar Astin was a let-down.

Pitch Perfect has a pretty strange soundtrack. Along with some really current songs such as Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars and Right Round by Flo Rida, there are also songs such as The Sign by Ace of Base and Eternal Flame by The Bangles. However, the mix of songs was something that I found to be really interesting and something that set this film apart from other musicals. The mix of songs is done in such a way though that they go really well together and there are certain reasons for some of the songs. The soundtrack to this film is fantastic and one I would actually like to own.

Overall, as cheesy and predictable as this film is, I loved it. The cast and characters are what made this film so good and along with a funny script and great songs, it was an instant hit for me. This will definitely be getting a place in my DVD collection.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 March 2014
Literally loved this film. I would definitely recommend it to everyone. Great copy too. Buy it guys!! By Bernadette O'Shea
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I thought it was BRILLIANT!!! I didn't know Anna Kendrick could sing? The characters that didn't overshoot the mark were absolutely spot on. I'm not a fan of the woman who plays Fat Amy, usually she annoys me as other characters, and was the main reason I avoided this movie so long, but she was integral to the group chemistry. What makes this film, is that aside from the major 'boy gets girl' obviousness, the majority of the scenes don't play out as you would expect, and that's a major plus. Great film. Watch it.
on 22 October 2013
Let's not pretend this isn't a shining example of how good musical comedies can be! The fact that this will never win an Oscar (let's not get into the whole comedies debate here) is a crime. The writing is brilliant, the acting is great and the songs are so good that almost a year later I'm still blasting out the pool party mash up.

The downside to this film, if I HAVE to point one out, is that the male love interest is so 2 dimensional it's painful. You want to score soundtracks? Then how come you never show any musical know how, other than being able to belt out Cee Lo to a strangely mature audience? I also wish that they'd managed to prove that these kids WERE actually in college, by, I know know... showing them in class or studying or something? But I suppose the movie would have been longer... (which I wouldn't have minded!).

Watch this if you like any teen comedy movie/tv show/musical aka Bring it on, Mean Girls, Glee etc.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The film opens showing us competing collegiate A Cappella groups. The announcers are very snarky which sets the humorous tone for the movie.

Female announcer(Elizabeth Banks): "Nothing makes a woman feel more like a girl then a man singing like a boy."

Male announcer (John Michael Higgins): " Women are about as good at A Cappella as they are at being doctors."

There is some battle of the sexes banter always going on.

The action then picks up for the following year's recruitment at Barden University. The main focus is on Rebecca (Anna Kendrick from "Twilight"). She is the daughter of a college professor who wants to be a music producer and arranger. She is pursued by Jesse (Skylar Astin) who wants to score movies. They end up in rival groups who all seem to have pun names, i.e. "The Treble Makers" or "The Minstrel Cycles". The language they speak to each other is also punny such as getting "pitch slapped."

The female group is lead by Aubrey (Anna Camp) who wants to do the same songs over and over again to the dismay of Rebecca and the snarky judges. The movie is predictable and pretentious. It is a film designed for a female teen audience, although I was able to enjoy it as well. Anna Kendrick's make-up was perfect throughout the film, a flawless beauty. The singing and choreography was enjoyable and professional. Perhaps the best scene was early in the film when they had a "riff-off" when competing A Cappella groups ad lib songs in "battle" against each another.

The diverse female characters, such as "Fat Amy"(Rebel Wilson) made the film enjoyable. A film you can watch with your teen/preteen daughter and not get too embarrassed.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity. Sexual innuendos. Some adult/teen language.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 March 2014
Clearly aimed at the "Gleeks" (fans of TVs Glee), this uplifting & entertaining musical, comedy, romantic drama really hits the spot.
Now I have to admit .... I am a bit of a Glee fan, but having said that, this movie is "soooooo" entertaining I'm sure even non-Glee fans will enjoy it !

I WATCHED IT 4 TIMES AT THE CINEMA ..... & ENJOYED IT JUST AS MUCH ON EVERY VIEWING !!!
(a very rare & difficult thing for a film to achieve !)

Great cast (including Rebel Wilson as the hilarious "Fat Amy!"), fresh script, inspired direction & really excellent music set pieces ..... All resulting in a thoroughly entertaining movie !

RICHIES RATING = 84%