4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable wireless speaker
The XW-SMA3 K has a great range of connectivity options, the only thing lacking is Bluetooth but this is not really required as the bandwidth and range given with Wi-Fi is far superior.

The product:
The box contains the speaker, ir remote, manuals and power cable for both UK & 2-prong US power sockets.

The main unit itself is (W x H x...
Published 23 months ago by mechanimal82

1.0 out of 5 stars poor product
Published 6 months ago by Aki

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable wireless speaker, 12 April 2013

The product:

The main unit itself is (W x H x D)320x180x145mm... roughly a shoebox size, and looks pretty nice in a slightly gloss finish. On the front left are indicators showing power on, connection mode (Airplay, WiFi, USB, Aux etc. Designated by different colour lights), indicator to show connection status to the WiFi and an indicator showing the charge status of the battery. On the front right you have touch sensitive buttons for power, source and volume controls. At the rear is a WiFi antenna and inputs for Ethernet connection to a LAN, Apple input (iPod, iPad, iPhone) with charge facility, 3.5 Aux in & Power in. These rear inputs are covered by a rubber plug each side for water-resistant use outdoors or in the bathroom.

The remote has options to power on the unit, source input, volume controls and playback control if using an apple source.

Setup:
Setup is a little tricky, but the strangely large broadsheet style manual has good infographic on how to setup the speaker for your particular needs. Easiest way I found to connect into my home LAN was to boot the device into hotspot mode, connect from my phone and update the firmware. Once you've done this you can then apply your home network settings as a firmware update will wipe these, so best updating the firmware first.

Also note that you'll need to update the firmware first before you can use the phone "Pioneer Connect" app otherwise it won't be found.

Once done you can easily find the device on your home network to stream via airplay, HTC Connect (If you have a new HTC One series phone) or dlna (UPnP). If you install the Pioneer app on your phone you can also set the speaker to play from vTuner Internet radio.

Sound:
The speaker uses dual 77mm woofers and a tiny 26mm tweeter which means you get loads of low end but not much emphasis on higher frequencies. This is more than adequate for the casual listener but acoustic or classical tracks may feel a little cold, while Dance or big beat tracks will boom away with bass. The volume levels for indoors are great, although the steps between levels seems a little off. It seems fairly quiet until you press the vol up button once more, and then you suddenly get an injection of sound. For an outdoors party this is certainly a better option than cranking up your Hi-Fi indoors, and there is more than adequate volume to give the party a bit of life. But don't expect the same as you would get from bringing a Hi-Fi outside as it only packs 2 10W Amplifiers.

Battery:
What really makes this exciting is the fact that the inbuilt battery means you can take this outdoors (or carry it around) without the need to plug in. I've managed to comfortably get five hours at a medium volume and around 2.5/3 at max. You can increase this of you opt for a wired connection rather than streaming wirelessly.

Overall Opinion:

For portability and the connectivity options this is certainly a worthwhile purchase. There are better wireless speakers for sound but these are either more expensive or lack the extra benefits of the battery.

If you are in the market for a pretty decent wireless speaker which has a lot of flexibility in connection types and portability then you can't go wrong with this one. It lacks some excitement with the higher frequencies, but for an average use not worrying too much about the fine sound qualities it really is a great option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great portable speaker, but too much mid-bass, 9 Jun. 2013
I wanted to give this a 3.5 rating, but in the end as I could not I thought 4 was the fairer choice.

This is a very nice speaker, its built well, is splash proof, has a rechargeable battery, and is DNLA complaint. Its the combination of splash proof, rechargeable and DNLA that attracted me, as I wanted a speaker I could use in the bathroom.

Its simple to setup (the huge foldout manual makes it look far harder to setup than it really is so don't panic), especially if your router supports WPS, the Pioneer smartphone application is not very good (no better than the Philips Fidelo app) so like the Philips speakers forget the Pioneer app and get yourself BubbleUPnP or something similar.

This speaker only get 3.5 - 4 stars from me for 2 reasons.

UPnP volume: on every other media render I have (Philips, Roku etc) setting a control points volume to around 20-25 results in a decent volume, with the Pioneer you cant start to hear the box until you get past 60, I am not sure why Pioneer have done this but as it behaves differently to every other render I find it annoying.

Sound Quality: Whilst its competent, Pioneer have tried to make it sound like it is capable of more bass than it is, to do this they seem to have boosted the mid-bass range, on some recordings this makes the speaker sound a bit muddy. I know we like in the DR Beats world where overblown bass is everything, but I would have preferred a more neutral or honest sound, especially as this was "tuned" by a sound guru at Pioneer!

Still its a very nice machine, and does what I need

1.0 out of 5 stars poor product, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pioneer XW-SMA3-W 20W Hi-Fi Compact Wireless System - White (Electronics)
Delivery was quick, thanks. - but I'm not happy with the product itself. Set up was quite complicated just because the instruction was written very poorly. I managed to figure it out but almost gave up and thought of returning the product. It started working and had been working for 2-3 weeks, so I ended up keeping it, but it just froze and I can't even turn it off or play anything. I'm hoping to get hold of the customer service... The sound is fine and it looks nice in my room. However, it doesn't give much flexibility in how song list should be played etc. From WMP, I can play my playlists in the same order all the time and doesn't let me re-randomise the order etc. It seems they are good at building the machine but not to provide good usability... And the remote never worked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spotify Connect, 28 Jan. 2015
Sonos is a pretty limited system and it drove my partner mad with how inflexible it was with multiple accounts, yes I know they have sorted that now but still I lost faith in a company which took such a long time to deliver what their customers needed. I wanted a speaker for the kitchen which was cheap but good quality and was usable with the Spotify Connect feature. For £99 it's an absolute bargain, it's a little larger than I wanted but it comes packed with ways to connect which is great for my partner and guests who want to play various albums via the speakers own wi-fi, airplay or through Spotify Connect. Highly recommended if you can grab one before they sell out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gadget, 6 Sept. 2014
The sound from this 'shoe box' size device is amazing. It has plenty of bass and clarity at the top end. The connecting of the device to a network or an individual iPhone can be tricky - the instructions aren't the easiest to follow. We recharged the battery and ran it continuously until the red warning light told us the battery was depleted. We achieved 5 hours of constant music play back. I can thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good speaker , portable and good sound., 19 Nov. 2014
Good item, the instructions could have been a bit clearer to setup. however setup is straight forward though if you have setup similar devices before. some times when sending music from iPhone/ iPad sound can breakup over the wifi, but this could be either the phone or speaker, works fine from iMac. other problem was the battery in the remote was already dead, I had to purchase a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and gorgeous sound!, 13 Aug. 2014
Bought this after previously purchasing the A4 version, which I love! Although there is a notable difference in loudness to the A4 model its still ample enough to fill a room. Easy 2 minute set up on my Mac and I now have my iTunes library streaming throughout my house. Actually bought this version for the portability as we are using it in our garden. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid purchase, 12 Jun. 2014
I like it. Wouldn't of paid £300 when first released but at £100 it's excellent. Well built and stylish with a good sound. Network setup instructions are bewildering so did a search on the net and found a guide. Delivery from sevenoaks was fantastic. Overall a solid purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 17 April 2014
Kept loosing wireless connection so unless you have an excellent wi-fi strength it just doesn't work. Wireless router needs to be in same room

5.0 out of 5 stars good (bossy) sound; easy connections, 23 Jan. 2014
but read manual first before trying to connect.
constant-on more is useful but only works when plugged to A/C source, not on batteries.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›