5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Pioneer!
Published on 29 Dec. 2012 by M. Dowson

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE JUNK !
GOD KNOWS HOW THIS AS BEEN GIVEN 5 STARS .
I'VE HAD IT 18 MONTHS AND HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITH IT !
I'VE A PANASONIC WHICH COST ME £60 WHICH IS A BRILLIANT PLAYER COMPARED TO THIS PILE OF GARBAGE .
FIRST OF ALL IT LOOKS BIG AND CHUNCHY ~ ALUMINIUM CASING . BUT WEIGHS NOTHING . OBVIOUSLY ALL THE MONEY HAS BEEN SPENT ON THE GOOD LOOKS...
Published 7 hours ago by EDDIE MARTYN

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Pioneer!, 29 Dec. 2012
M. Dowson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
Bought this to replace a Sony bdp-s470, previously considered an excellent blue ray player by the AV experts. I am happy to say this new player is an improvement in both the picture and sound departments. Watching some well known footage on some of my trusty discs has left me in no doubt it was well worth upgrading. Pictures have extra punch and clarity, sound is more clear and dynamic. Nextflix also streams well with great hd pictures and 5.1 sound. The other bonus (and a contributing factor to me buying it) is that its a welcome return to a proper sized piece of kit that looks good and stands proud....none of this flimsy small plastic crap most players seem to be these days. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great blu ray player, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
Excellent blu ray for the money.
It has a great sound and picture, the unit has a very good build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value player, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
I have been using this product for three weeks and have to say that for the money, the Pioneer BDP-450 is an absolute bargain. It has twin HDMI to split video and audio signals, it plays SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD, Blu-Ray, CD and so far every format of video I have tried. Now being able to play everything is pointless unless it's played well, the Pioneer delivers a performance that would rival much more e pensive universal players.

Set up is simple so long as you follow the clear instructions. If you're after a smart player, the Pioneer won't let you watch Netflix etc, but you can go online for updates and BDLive. This is the only negative I can say about the player and it's not a major issue in reality.

The remote is well laid out and you can also download Pioneer's app to control the player with your iPad for example. On my rack the player is very discrete and in use is silent with the option to turn the display off completely.

Blu-Ray films are presented in deep, rich colours and sound as the director meant it to with more than enough audio options to please everyone. The opening scene of Saving Private Ryan is delivered in superb detail with sounds zooming around the room. The Pioneer keeps up with the fast paced video and audio bringing the brutal reality of war into the room. Another movie I tried was Gravity, and again the BDP-450 delivered the film in amazing clarity. Deep, dark blacks with rich colours and atmospheric sound gives the viewer a visual and audio treat.

Now for the BDP-450's party piece, the multi-format capability. I have a large CD, SACD & DVDAudio collection and have to say that this player produces amazing audiophile sound quality. Peter Gabriel's So album on SACD through the player is simply stunning. The player plays the 5.1 surround in such amazing quality and detail it has to be heard to be believed. Every note, instrument and vocal is dug out and presented on a wide sound state that wraps around you. Bass is deep and rich, highs are delicate and detailed whilst mid range is full of rhythm, drive and power. It's the same with Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won on DVDAudio, the surround sound is so good, you could be in the studio with the band. Page's guitar riffs slam and grind with speed against Plant's vocals with Bonzo's drum slamming you in the chest whilst JPJ's bass drives the rhythm along.

There is not a bad thing to be said against the Pioneer BDP-450, it's stunning value for money, it plays everything and plays it with such quality you'll be amazed and very pleased indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round digital transport, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
I bought this as it recognises pretty much all forms of digital disc or file known to man - well, all the ones I need...

I should emphasise, as certain reviewers here and elsewhere seem to have missed this, that this is a TRANSPORT, it does NOT have any on-board converters. This is fine for me, as it was always my plan to feed digital audio signals off into another device, and the coax digital output of the Pioneer is just what I needed.

My use of it so far has been to play DVD-A and DVD-V, so my comments are only about those. Oh, and stereo only, as I don't do surround.

DVD-A fed into a 24 bit, 96kHz capable DAC highlights the effortless superiority of the sound compared to standard CD versions of the same mix (the 40th anniversary King Crimson re-issues for example), more detail in the instruments and voice, better separation within the mix, more impact. Shame this medium has all but disappeared aside from a few specialist re-issues.

DVD-V, using a variety of music DVDs, gives very good picture quality and also very good sound, for example with the likes of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense or Spinal Tap, both of which I have seen many, many times over the years in cinemas and on DVD in domestic set ups. Can't complain at all! Very good.

Can't/won't comment on SACD capabilities, as I already have a high end SACD player, but it looks to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Pioneer converts DSD to PCM before out putting it.

Set up was simple. Talks nicely via HDMI to my Sony TV.

Haven't had cause to use USB yet, but the device having USB connections was a definite attraction for possible future uses.

Internet capable features have not been used, as our internet here is useless, so I cannot comment.

Overall, very pleased with the Pioneer, which does what I wanted it too, and has capabilities which I will, no doubt, use in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars bluray player, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
i`ve had it now for a few months seems to be working fine no problems setting up . although the manufacturer could have put more thought into the design, of the remote controle

5.0 out of 5 stars The best blu ray, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
This is the best blu ray you can buy plays all movies files and music which is a good feature Thuro the USB port all so like the feature were its plays 16/9 it in full screen on the tv so you don't get the two black bars at the top and bottom

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest user review...., 10 Jan. 2015
C. JONES - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
So far so good. I started to look at higher end blue ray players after my LG BP620 started to develop a HDMI signal fault where the screen would constantly flicker without loss of audio. It was out of warranty and didn't feel the cost of repair would be worth while and besides, I was wanting to go for a more higher end model, so the LG has gone up to the bedroom.
I had read various reviews on the Pioneer BDP 450 on here, AVforums etc and a few regular complaints kept cropping up this player regarding disc noise and freezing issues, which seem to be improving with firmware upgrades.
I settled on the BDP 450 despite these complaints as being the owner of the Pioneer VSX-827k AV receiver I am impressed with their build quality, sound performance plus their highly regarded reputation speaks for itself.

My BDP 450 was purchased from Peter Tyson on Amazon's marketplace for around £159. Delivery was prompt and tracked via DPD.
Inside the box is the player itself, remote control, batteries, 2 pin EU plug, 3 pin UK plug and usual manuals. The player is surprisingly light given its size but if you own other Pioneer devices, it should compliment them well in terms of dimensions and ability to stack them.

I'm no AV expert and I didn't purchase this device for the amount of file types it can play or stream so I won't comment about that. I bought it purely for playing Blu Ray/ DVD and CD discs.

Setup is very simple. When you power it up it has a simple set up guide of 5 steps, and that's it. It's more or less ready to put a disc in and play. Of course you can go into its menus to tinker until your heart is content. Navigation around its 3 sub menus is straight forward.
The user interface is very bland and basic which for me personally is the one area that wouldn't take too much effort to overhaul and bring Pioneer onto a more even playing field with the likes of Demon. That being said, the menu system is easy to navigate as it is, just dull and in need of a bright shiny makeover !

Performance wise, the BDP 450 is on another level from the LG BDP620. Visually stunning brighter image with more shine (I can't comment on the 3D playback as I don't have a 3D TV) and so far, without upgrading the firmware, there are no lip sync issues at all which was another common complaint. The sound is fantastic, especially when listening to CDs. Rhythms on the high hat, cow bell and cymbals are clearer and bass is well defined although I feel I now need to upgrade my subwoofer to garner greater benefit from this players ability.

On first startup there is a noise... Its the lazer calibration and there is a slight noise from the disc as it starts spinning initially but for me, despite never having that with the LG, its a reassuring sound of quality and there is no noise during the actual playback of a film or music. I can understand if I had paid in excess of £350 but its no reason for me to be sending it back.
I have not experienced any of the freezing issues reported, although that mainly happened whilst streaming. Something i have not done yet.

This device is not wireless but it can be via an adapter (sold separately) but I have it connected with a CAT6 cable which allows use of the Pioneer control app and also the icontrolAV app as well and both work flawlessly, as does the Harmony app from Logitech which I also use.

All in all, I'm very happy at this early stage. I've only had it for a week so I may update this review in future. Its a solid 5 stars from me

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE JUNK !, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
GOD KNOWS HOW THIS AS BEEN GIVEN 5 STARS .
I'VE HAD IT 18 MONTHS AND HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITH IT !
FIRST OF ALL IT LOOKS BIG AND CHUNCHY ~ ALUMINIUM CASING . BUT WEIGHS NOTHING . OBVIOUSLY ALL THE MONEY HAS BEEN SPENT ON THE GOOD LOOKS .

PROBLEMS >
THE DVD TRAY IS TOO SHALLOW & WHEN OPEN WHERE THE DISC FITS IS TOO CLOSE TO THE FRONT PANEL CAUSING IT TO KNOCK AGAINST THE METAL FACIA .

NO FULL TIME OF DISC CAN BE DISPLAYED .

IT WON'T RESPOND TO THE REMOTE MOST OF THE TIME ! THE REMOTE NEEDS TO BE POINTED ABOUT 3 INCH INFRONT OF THE GLASS PANEL .

THE PICTURE CONSTANTLY FREEZES WHILE THE SOUND CONTINUES .
THE PLAYER PLAYS FILMS FOR ABOUT AN HOUR THEN FREEZES UP
AND WON'T RESPOND TO THE REMOTE OR BUTTONS ON THE FRONT PANEL .

THE HDMI OUTPUTS ARE SLACK CAUSING EVEN CHEAP LIGHTWEIGHT CABLES TO MOVE AND CUT THE PICTURE AND SOUND OFF .

IT'S NOISEY WHEN YOU TURN IT ON ~ A IRRATATING CLUNKING NOISE .

IT DOESN'T RETAIN YOUR PERSONAL SETTING .

TO BE HONEST IT'S A DISGRACE TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE PIONEER NAME .

IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO BURN ~ BUY IT !

YOU CAN BUY A LOT BETTER PLAYER FOR A 3RD OF THE PRICE !

5.0 out of 5 stars pioneer 450 blueray, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
It's about time we got rid of the.super slim rubbish that don't look the part next to a dts amplifier, I've be a fan of pioneer since seeing my grandfathers hifi back in the 80s I have a onkyo 1010 amplifier and I wanted a player that would look the part I ordered a Panasonic 730 blueray recorder but when I opened the box I was disappointed in the size, I have a Sony 500 blueray player that in my opinion was the best quality DVD player Sony ever made the build quality is outstanding along with the sound and picture but slow at loading, the pioneer is a welcome edition to my onkyo amp plus Cambridge audio minx 7.1 speakers, the sound and picture is very good for the price plus the pioneer is well built and I love the retro hifi look unlike the rest of the cheap rubbish Sony Panasonic make, we don't want cheap thin players anymore people will always pay more for quality well made players like this pioneer well done pioneer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Player, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Pioneer Bdp450 (Electronics)
This is a great player and looks so much sturdier than the anorexic models being produced by Panasonic, Sony Samsung and the like. Plan to get a Pioneer VSX1223 or VSX2023 and partner it up. Plan to have it modded to Multi region playback next week then I can get rid of my anorexic Zone A and Zone B Panasonic Blu-ray players.

Pioneer Bdp450