on 6 November 2012
As the previous reviewer states, this is a good product. Far cheaper than the Sony equivalent, but charges without any problems and appears to hold its charge well. I was a little wary about buying a third party product. I've done that in the past for a Panasonic G3 and found that the battery indicator then didn't work properly, going from fully charged to empty without warning. This problem doesn't occur with this battery, it seems to work in an identical fashion to the Sony batteries. My only regret is that I bought a spare Sony battery at the same time as I bought this, in case there were any problems. I should have saved my money and bought two of these.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 January 2013
JAN 2015 UPDATE: I'm updating this because it's a battery's long-term performance you really want to know about. After two years I'm still pleased with it and it is still performing as well as the Sony original. Good news.

I've not had this for long, but it appears to work exactly like the Sony original that came with my RX100 camera. I get the impression (without testing it scientifically) that it actually lasts a bit longer than the Sony battery. Charging triggers the appropriate lights on the camera, and the battery life segments operate properly so this really is just like the real thing. It's even the same colour scheme.

I've used third-party batteries in cameras for years with no problems and I don't anticipate having any with this. Why pay four times more than you need to?
on 7 September 2012
I have only had this battery for about a week. Since then I have been using it constantly in my RX100, keeping the original Sony battery as my spare. Have had no problems with usage or the 'in camera charging'. At almost one third Sony Original price it has to be excellent value. Appears as well made as the Sony original. I hope and look forward to Ex-Pro coming up with a dedicated Charger for this battery as almost every RX100 owner (here and abroad) is waiting for it. COME ON EX-PRO - Beat SONY to it!!!

UPDATE: One year later, there is absolutely no difference between SONY and EX-PRO, in terms of Function, Capacity, Battery Drain or Construction. Well Done Ex-pro.
on 23 February 2015
In view of some negative reviews of this product I decided to get one anyway: my philosophy has tended to be that I really only need a backup battery to 'get me home' as it were and back to a charger. Having said that, I have never been disappointed with lower priced spare batteries compared to those of the camera manufacturer.

I received the battery on 29th December and it discharged fully yesterday for the first time, during which period I have taken 473 pictures on that charge. I have not done a test on the original Sony battery, but these results would give me confidence to take the Ex-Pro on an expedition without any problem.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Thinking of some of the negative reviews I saw, I wondered if the buyers had followed the manufacturer's instructions to NOT charge a partially charged unit: when the battery arrived it was not completely discharged so I ran it down before recharging it.

Hope that potential buyers find this review of use; too often I fall back on subjective evidence for mine. Here it is possible to offer potentially useful evidence.

An unequivocal endorsement and five stars from me.
on 8 December 2012
I have previously purchased one of these about 3 years ago but for a different camera. It is still going strong. Don't hesitate to buy one of these
on 28 July 2013
Bought as spare for Sony DCS HX 50 and seems to work well and cheap BUT on DCS HX 50 there is no battery indicator in camera display - hence 4 stars.
However not a real problem as will only use as a spare andwill have fully charged original battery with me for when it runs out.
Certainly better than paying Sony price for a temporary spare
I've been using this battery with my Sony GW66VE camcorder and it seems to perform just as well as the original, doesn't become over-hot while charging or in use and lasts just as long. I've used many Ex-Pro batteries before and always found them to be just as good as the originals and never had a problem with any, even after 2 years of regular daily use.

Why pay more for the original manufacturer-branded batteries when these are available at a quarter of the price. I've just ordered another and it won't be my last....
on 31 August 2013
The battery works as it should, with the remaining battery life showing up perfectly in the top left of my camera screen. It also came with a clear plastic box to protect a spare battery from drops/electrical shorts while it is being stored

Only niggle I have with this product is that it is not exactly the same as what is shown in the picture. The picture shows an aluminium cased battery, whereas the actual battery is just the standard plastic battery casing with a large white sticker wrapped around the whole thing (even the label looks different to the picture).

I have given it 4 stars because of the slight misrepresentation of the battery, but the performance is just as good as the original
review image review image
on 9 December 2013
Was sceptical about purchasing this item as have had bad experiences with 3rd party batteries. But this looks exactly like the original Sony just with different labelling on the outside. Can't go wrong with the price either £9 instead of £30+ for an original, and it comes with a 2-year warranty!!
on 26 September 2014
For economy I often purchase alternative cells for various devices, but I have been disappointed with this one. although it seems to generally hold charge and do its job, the Ex-Pro charger cannot fully charge it (the red light stays on). Of course it could be a fault with the charger but I don't think so as the Sony supplied one functions correctly.

My advice would be to think carefully as I feel these alternatives have quality control issues that are not present in the original manufacturers offerings.

ADDENDUM I contacted Ex-Pro who were extremely helpful. I was able to test the unit today- very hard!- without problem it powered my camera for slightly over one hour which is totally acceptable, and when I recharged it this afternoon it recharged in 123mins. So it looks like there were teething problems either with the charge in the cell or the plates in the charger. (? dirt on contacts?) I'm pleased that it seems to be functioning correctly and if after further use, continues to function properly, I will order more of them.