on 24 September 2013
Right - well this book was written targeting a market of American teens - I am a 70 year old Scottish widow but I did have an excellent school grounding in Greek and Latin Gods. It is fantasy and there were mistakes - e.g. you don't get manatees in the Adriatic but then again you don't get raccoons in UK especially London and that didn't hurt the 101 Dalmations film. The mythological research seems sound - the premise is unique - the writing is good - some typos as always - and past tense of shine is shone not shined. BUT there was a real charm to the story and I will be buying and reading the rest of the series...if only to find out how a teen mortal can become a goddess..against all the resistance.
on 16 January 2013
The first book of hers that I read was the The Mystery Box, because that was amazing, I sought out the rest of her work. I was delighted to find this, and am amazed to say that she's manages to do it again. A MASTERPIECE!
on 14 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It is well written, and the main and secondary characters are well defined and have depth and substance.
I was hooked right from the start. A mix of mystery, drama and romance with a topping of Greek mythology. I am certainly going to read the second and third books in the Gatekeepers Saga, and I shall be recommending my friends read these books as well.
on 19 July 2013
This book was an interesting take on the Greek gods and the story line was really good however characters personalities changed at some points in the book ans thousands the book feel more unrealistic.
on 15 September 2013
I thought the idea behind this book was interesting; a girl suddenly orphaned helps get revenge with the help of the Gods of the Underworld.
However, when actually reading it, I found the story bounced around far too much, and far too quickly.
Instead of mourning her dead parents, this girl ends up sleeping all the time, so that she can meet up with the Gods of the Underworld. Her priorities seem to be all wrong!
She'll happily be dancing around in dreamland, when suddenly 'I must find Hip' pops into her head, and she suddenly somehow teleports to the Underworld to have a confusing, flirty conversation with Hip. The flirty tone just seems to overrun the grief this girl should be going through after losing her parents.
I just found the story disappointing, compared to what it could have been.
on 8 August 2014
Got this for son but ended up reading it myself. And very quickly purchased all the following books in the saga.

Since I have read all the books, I am unable to separate them out to write a synopsis but regarding writing style, grammar and editing, this is one of the best free kindle books I have ever downloaded. I was more than happy to pay for the following books. Pohler has written in such a way that although the main character is a young teenager, adults will be able to easily get along with this book too.

I rarely give 5 stars as I usually find an issue that will bring a rating down but this book, and the series in general, deserve a top rating.
on 18 October 2013
This is a YA novel which brings the world of the Greek Gods to the present day. A young girl finds she can control her actions in her dreams, and when tragedy strikes in her home life she finds she has won the heart of a God who vows to help her. Hades strikes a bargain with his son and a time limit for him to win the girls heart, whilst the Furies seek out the person behind the murder of Therese's parents. The ever present conflict between the Greek God's causes a twist in the tale and the adventures will continue in the next book.
on 1 November 2013
Greek mythology happens to be an interest of mine, and the only reason I picked this book was because it was free, and I needed something that wasn't a textbook to read for a while. Having read books of a similar premise, I wasn't expecting much, and if I'm completely honest I expected nothing more than an afternoons diversion. However, I found myself pleasantly surprised and completely drawn into the story, the characters were fully realised and believable, and their reactions and decisions followed naturally from their characterisations. Where other books focus on major gods (Zeus, Artemis etc),here they are almost relegated to secondary characters whilst the action centres around gods usually forgotten (plus the inclusions of the Furies, which I loved!).
Needless to say, I have now purchased the other books in the series and look forward to having the time to read them.
I would highly recommend the books and will be looking at other titles by this author after I have finished this series.
on 13 April 2014
A little repetitive but all around a lovely story I love than and Therese story they are cute as hell (no pun intended) I love the Greek mythology as well I loved learning about it in school and fee like I'm still learning from this book... onto boo two now x
on 17 August 2013
This should have been a good book, the premise is good and the story well planned. Unfortunately the characterisation and writing was so poor it was difficult to read in places. The main character changes her mind so completely so often it is enough to give you whiplash. Her inner world is so inconsistent she appears shallow and immature. I wondered at one point if the author was herself a young adult but can only assume that the naive voice was a deliberate choice to reflect the heroines age,15, but unfortunately she only served to make her seem too young to be engaging in any relationship let alone a marriage ! And it doesn't excuse the poor quality of the writing.
Great idea. Someone else should have written it.