5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring Classic
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is literary fiction in the truest sense. It is a novel about books - about one book in particular - and about the power of words to inspire, inflame and ultimately destroy.
10-year-old Daniel Sempere discovers `The Shadow of the Wind' in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and from that moment his life becomes entwined with and...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by A. G. Lockhart

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation?
I found this book disappointing. Though the evocation of the city, and the insights into Spanish politics were interesting, on the whole it seemed sloppily and speedily written and the translation equally so. There were several instances of characters using slang from the 1980s and 90s when they were talking in a post-war time period, and this sounded really odd. There...
Published 19 months ago by Rick O' Shea

‹ Previous | 171 72 7378 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and riveting read, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I wasn't sure I would like this book as it was the suggested read of a book club but once started I was drawn into the characters and storyline and could not put it down. also a fascinating insight into Francos' spain. I will definitely read another of this author's books.The Shadow Of The Wind

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 28 Jan 2009
Joanne Shipp (kazakhstan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
loved it, loved it, loved it. I loved Barcelona when I lived there, so this is a perfect book for when I'm missing the city on cold winter days and nights.
I love the idea of books having souls and by reading them, we keep them alive.
Great characters.Brilliant baddies, great goodies.
Full of suspense, laughter and a good ending.
Am I alone in thinking Fermin Romero de Torres might attain romantic hero status - if this was ever tranferred to the screen? He should, because he is wickedly delightful. He makes the book for me! A spanish alternative Mr Darcy or Captain Wentworth!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING READ!!!, 26 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I can't put into words, just how much I enjoyed this book. For me, it had everything, humour, mystrey, action and much more. I loved this book so much that I passed it onto several friends, who adored it so much they purchased their own copies! A must read

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing..., 19 Jan 2009
Barry Chan "Sketchbook18" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
It's an excellent read. Some people have criticised it for not being particularly well written with a dull plot - but i beg to differ. I found it to be a wonderfully engrossing piece of work and has become one of my favourite books of recent years. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shadow of the Wind - my favourite book of all time, 23 Dec 2008
K. Magill (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
This novel is not only an un-put-down-able read, but the most heart warming yet heart wrenching tale, so much so that you just cannot help being submersed in every word of the text. From the very first read, this book has never failed to bring me to tears or to make me laugh out loud. Each time I work my way through it's pages, I fall a little more in love with it. Clever, witty, hurtful and so full of longing and emotion. If that's not enough to entice you to read The Shadow of the Wind, well I don't know what is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and shadowy, but beautiful., 12 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I am 24 years old and I am an avid reader; therefore read many books in my time. However, this is by far the best book I have ever read.

Beautifully written, heart melting, a pure delight. Someone already said this, but in time, this book will become a classic.

The words are pure poetic and the relationship between characters is intricate and dark.

I will be reading this again very soon. A masterpiece. Well done Mr. Carlos Ruiz Zafon!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !!!!!!, 10 Dec 2008
Ms. Katie A. Avill "Magpie" (Rotherham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
this book has to be one of the best i have ever read. I read victoria Hislops The Island last year and was enthralled by it and it took me about two days to read it. after that many of the books i read were dissapointing but i have to say that this is one of the very best i have ever ever read and i read loads. i would strongly argue that everyone in the world should read this book at least once they would not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really captivating read- a great book to take on holiday, 21 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I took this book on holiday with me this year and couldn't put it down. It starts slowly, but picks up speed at the mid way point. Although translated from Spanish, it reads well, and all the characters are unforgettable. Plot is good, although at times a bit far fetched, but I thought it was excellent overall!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and captivating, 7 May 2008
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
A young boy discovers a book and is later approached by a burnt man who wants to destry the book and has already destroyed all over copies.Why? Read it to find out!

I loved this novel. Its part mystery, part romance, part coming of age story.It is not a thriller by any means as its too slow and leisurely but enjoyable for what it is- a beautifully written tale touching on the issues of love, loss, family relations and post civil war Spain (no wonder its such a monster of a book!).Definitely a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, original, gripping, 1 May 2008
F. Bruce (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
I really dreaded finishing this book, it is so so good. If it was an opera or concert, you would have to give it at least a 10 minute standing ovation at the end. Worth buying and keeping.

‹ Previous | 171 72 7378 | Next ›

The Shadow of the Wind
The Shadow of the Wind (Unknown Binding - 2005)
Used & New from: 1.49