5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy and Impressive
Published 10 months ago by Paul Scollon

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony sound bar
This improves the sound quality greatly over the standard TV speakers and was easy to set up.
It could really do with a HDMI connection.
To begin with I thought that it was faulty as I was unable to get any sound.
The volume control needs to be increased each time you switch it on otherwise you get no sound at all.
It doesn't retain any settings which...
Published 10 months ago by nickcx500

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy and Impressive, 6 Jan 2014
Paul Scollon (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 2.1 Channel HT-CT60 Virtual Surround Sound Bar and Subwoofer for TV (Electronics)
I didn't want to run cables all over my living room, nor did I want to spend more than 200 quid on a sound solution. After reading many, many product reviews, I finally settled on this Sony product to connect to my LG 42" TV. I am completely satisfied and pleased with how little this cost me. It took approximately 5 minutes to install and less time to figure out all the features (I advise a quick read of the manual, it's short and concise).

All my devices are connected by HDMI to the TV (Panasonic Blu-ray Player, Microsoft Xbox 360, Raspberry Pi) and the TV is now connected to the soundbar by optical cable (supplied). The sound from my Xbox and Blu-ray are astounding, REALLY good on the Pi, and not too noticeable on the TV (unless it is a movie with surround sound being broadcast). I'm very happy with the addition of the subwoofer, which really comes into play when there is music on the movie soundtrack (I watched Rocky IV on blu-ray for my initial test, and 80s music montage sequences were the best). I also watched Bladerunner, and the enhancement of the sound effects in this movie blew me away.

You can completely disable your normal TV speakers and use just the soundbar, or use both in conjunction without any ill-effects. As other reviewers stated, the lack of onscreen display for volume control is bothersome, buy not a showstopper. Lights flash on the bar itself when you reach the max levels for volume, bass and treble.

If you have a Sony TV, you can ditch your old TV remote and control the TV from the soundbar remote too. This is the only thing I miss, as my TV is an LG. However, what's one more remote these days?

If you are looking for a bargain soundbar, this is the best one on the market, by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit, 22 Jan 2014
Mr. P. Hutchinson "pud" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent soundbar for the price, took about 10 minutes to set up, switched on and WOW!, what a difference to my normal TV speakers which I thought were adequate anyway but lack some bass which is the main reason I got this, and bass is what I got with this.

Unlike some other reviewers, I did'nt have a problem with the length of the optical lead for my TV, but I suppose they all differ for people dependant on which TV they have or how it is mounted.

Each time I switch it on it retains the same sound settings from last time.I am not bothered about any visual indication of the volume on TV like other reviewers as I prefer to use my ears, as each DVD/program etc.differs in volume anyway.
It comes into its own though whilst watching movies, the sound is superb for a budget unit,
If I had any small criticism, it would only be that the remote control is a little on the small side and could easily be lost down the side of your comfy armchair as its quite slippery plastic.

I would highly recommend this unit to anybody who wants to improve the sound from their TV, but who does not want to pay over the odds for a soundbar that would probably do the same job.Well pleased with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 5 Jan 2013
This is exactly what I was looking for. My daughter's TV speakers were too small for the size room she was using it in, so I purchased this sound bar to boost the volume. The sound bar and sub-woofer were a breeze to set up- just attach the cables, plug in and go! We are now hearing sounds and dialogue that were hidden before. It's not surround sound, but it is a huge improvement!

5.0 out of 5 stars My father can hear the TV again, 2 Jan 2014
Following a stroke my father's hearing deteriorated and he was experiencing difficulty in watching TV.

He bought a new flat screen TV but although marginally improved difficulties still remained. The 'deaf society' loaned him a device that enabled him to wear a pick up hearing aid but he found this uncomfortable and meant he could not join in with other conversations.

Purely by accident I learned that flat screen TV's produce the sound from the rear which then reflect back from the wall into the room. Having installed this sound bar, he has been amazed at the much improved sound due to the outward facing sound. He can hear so much better what is being said on the TV and has not stopped singing its praises since it was installed at Christmas.

His only criticism is that it does not have a any means of visually seeing how high the sound is, but that's a small price to pay for such an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% happy, 18 July 2014
Before I buy anything I like to read lots of reviews, I generally filter them and read the 1 and 2 star ones first to see if there's a trending problem. People seemed to be saying that the sound was no better than that from their tv's but the 5 star reviewers said the sound was great. I took a chance and bought this, second hand, at a very reasonable price. I've recently subscribed to Talk Talk and their set top box doesn't have it's own sound control meaning my set up of old hifi speakers attached to an ancient Akai amp was only controllable by the old fashioned way of getting off the sofa and turning the dial! Well, ok I know it sounds lazy but that annoying setting tv channels have of the commercials being 10 times louder than the programmes meant I was up and down every 5 minutes! Anyway, I decided this would be the solution and it is! It's very easy to set up and I find the sound is of excellent quality. It's clear and the subwoofer adds a lovely, rich bass. It won't shake the glass out of the window frames with it's volume but I don't like to annoy my neighbours so that's fine too. I haven't really tested the surround sound setting or night mode yet but I can say that so far I'm 100% happy with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 May 2013
Astounding Clarity of sound now big difference in the TV now being Deaf TV Sound not good I can hear audible conversation very clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformation., 13 Dec 2013
We're all the same, we go for a TV with a great picture and visual qualities, and by and large don't think about the Audio output until we get it up and running, and find that the sound quality is a little lacklustre? especially with music and films.
This piece of kit will sort it, it will enable the sound to match the picture quality, and more!.
For the price, the audio output is very good.
A great purchase for those of us on a limited budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't feel surrounded., 24 Nov 2012
Mr. Graeme Cumming (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Firstly the kit isn't hard to set up and has three connectivity options but only a digital optical cord supplied. The sound provided is rich and you might call it immersive but not surround sound as I have experienced elsewhere. My problem is I have a lounge with no "reflective" wall directly opposite the soundbar so probably the sound can't bounce off a flat surface as it would need to for surround sound. So it's a definite improvement over tinny little TV speakers but no substitute for 5.1 in my view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved sound, 12 April 2013
S. Waite "book traveller" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this sound bar to anybody who wants to vastly improve the sound from their flatscreen. The sound bar can't achive surround sound but gives a rich, full, more than stereo sound and with the subwoofer, excellent value for your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential improvement for the TV., 5 Jan 2013
dealicon (Reading, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Before buying this sound bar I did went into local stores to see demo of the much reviewed Orbitsound which was impressive but expensive. But for a moderate budget, this sound bar fits the bill and I bought it from Amazon.

I connected to the TV using the supplied optical cable. The sound output was much better than the TV's build-in speakers and watching movies with this better sound was more enjoyable.

The supplied remote control is of good quality. I managed to sync this sound bar to SKY remote for volume up/down/mute and power on/off. Now the TV, Sky Box and Sound Bar are controlled through the SKY remote. You need to press TV button before operating these controls on the Sky remote though. For more details see [...] The code 2200 worked for me.

The sound bar in length roughly matches a 42" TV's width. This is not as high as the Sony HT-CT260 but it did blocked the IR receiver of my TV. Hence I have placed it on a different shelf of the TV stand. I think the Philips CSS2123 is probably the only budget sound bar that is small enough to be placed in front of the TV.

Overall the sound output is not the best but definitely an improvement to the TV's built-in sound. The surround feature didn't made a lot of difference but the bass effect of the sub-woofer is good. I think a sound system (or sound bar) is essential for the big screen TVs and without a good sound, the big screen TV experience is incomplete.

Update: After using this system for just about a month, I can say that the sound enhancement is not so much noticeable when watching TV shows generally. But when watching movies, it enhances those bass effects nicely, not exactly floor rocking but decent enough. So normally I keep it off and use it when watching movies. You can check some YouTube clips for e.g. Quantum of Solace opening scene (car chase), Batman's appearance with the "the Bat" vehicle in Dark Knight Rises to get the feel of sound enhancement this system can do.