5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Braun...
Published 19 months ago by techpuppy

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, fades over time
Really impressed with this to begin with. This was a gift for my son for Christmas after I'd been so impressed with the 5040 (see my review of Braun Series 5 5040 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Male Foil Shaver) which is essentially the same product except that you can't use it in the wet.

Assuming you don't want to use it wet, it has all the benefits of its big...
Published 16 months ago by mssmith1

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Braun..., 3 Dec 2012
techpuppy "aka stylepuppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Braun's habit of branding all their innovations with über-tech names like FlexMotionTec, UltraActiveLift and MacroMotion might make this shaver sound like a gimmick-filled toy but, ironically enough, what you actually get is the most refined and un-gimmicky shaver you could want. I'm sure all those features are there, working away in the background, but all you're really aware of is how good a shave it gives you.

This 5030s shaver claims to have been 'Made in Germany' and it feels like it, there's a real solidity and precision to it. The design is mostly understated and practical, the rubberised finish make it easy to hold and manoeuvre and they've kept the controls to a minimum. There are only two buttons, the power button (which also locks the shaver when held down for a few seconds) and a button which fixes the shaver head into one of 5 positions. Unlike earlier Braun shavers the foil and cutting block are now combined into one replaceable precision unit and each of the two foils and the middle trimmer are independently sprung so they conform to every contour. That independent suspension is probably one of the features with a fancy name - you don't need to know the name, just know that it works. The other impressive thing is how powerful it is compared to my previous Braun shavers, it does scythe though heavy stubble pretty easily - Braun call that the PowerDrive and I'll give them that one.

Quick tip for blade shaving men about to try their first electric shaver - never wet your face or beard before using an electric shaver (unless you've bought a specific wet & dry shaver like the Braun 5040) because this makes the stubble soft and pliable and it won't get cut cleanly by the foil. The stubble has to be dry and 'crisp' to poke through the metal foil and get the closest and most comfortable shave - for this reason it's usually best to shave first, before showering or washing your face.

I've been using Braun shavers for decades and had always been really happy with them, until a couple of years ago when my last Braun shaver started to show its age prematurely - the finish and build quality just weren't what I'd been used to from Braun. Their range at that time seemed a bit ropy so I thought I'd try my first rotary shaver instead - big mistake! The rotary couldn't deliver a very close shave and was prone to bad razor-burn - it just didn't suit my face at all and I couldn't wait to get rid of it and switch back to a foil shaver. Thankfully this 5030s has restored my faith in Braun shavers - it's a solid-feeling quality shaver with no unnecessary bells or whistles, just good design and ample power and the best shave I've had in years. It's good to be home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sensitive skin, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I have always had a problem whenever it comes to shaving; a few strokes of a razor to my face and my skin turns red and spotty. I have tried numerous shaving foams and moisturisers yet have never been able to combat this reaction. I looked online and many other men with sensitive skin had recommended using an electric shaver. Believing that you get what you paid for, I was prepared to pay that little bit more and chose the Braun 5030. Since using it for a few months the rashes and soreness have completely stopped, allowing me to shave every day rather than once or twice a week. As I am about to join the Navy and will be required to shave daily, this razor has made the task a lot less arduous and worrisome for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Design, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Ordered this to replace an ageing Braun which although still working is not holding charge to well (after 10 years).
This 5030 is a very well made and designed piece of kit.I would describe my beard as medium/heavy and this shaver deals with it no problem. Unlike my replaced shaver, this one deals with neck heirs very well. Only gripe is the poor 'travel bag' which is a very insubstantial cloth bag. Would have expected a hard case for a shaver in this price range, so for this a deduction of one star! Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 better than 3?, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
After 3 months of using the Braun Series 5 shaver, which was a replacement for my 4 year old Series 3, I am now comfortable with my new shaver. It is bigger and heavier, but it sounds more powerful, and gives a good clean shave on face and neck, which is more effective than my old one. The shaver charge lasts noticeably longer, and the foil is more rigidly fixed than the Series 3 (which had a tendency to become detached if you shaved off 90 degrees) but I have found the Series 5 flexible head to be of no extra benefit, so I have locked it in a fixed position. This allows me to apply more pressure to get the closest shave possible. The only disappointment is with the mustache/ beard trimmer which does not appear to be as wide or as sharp as the Series 3 - but is that just my shaver? Whilst I bought my Series 5 shaver through Amazon at a heavily discounted price (just slightly more than the Series 3), if there had been no discount I would have been happy to buy a Series 3 rather than pay more than 100 extra for a Series 5 - however both are more effective than my previous Philips and Panasonic shavers of the past, so I cannot ever see me buying anything other than a Braun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, fades over time, 25 Mar 2013
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Assuming you don't want to use it wet, it has all the benefits of its big brother. A smooth and unbelievably close shave. It's quiet, easy to clean, charges quickly, is well made and looks smart. The only downside I've come across is that it's performance drops off quite quickly (after around 3 months) and shaving starts to take a bit longer as you need to go over patches a couple of times to shave them completely. I can only assume that the blades need sharpening or changing, but I would have expected the excellent performance to last a little longer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed rant., 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I bought this on the strength of generally positive reviews here to replace my old trusted Braun rectangular block shaped high power Flex-Integra which although still shaving as well as it ever did has developed an annoying rattle from even new head assemblies. Understandable, wear and tear was inevitable after so many years of daily use.

So I was surprised to find that this one's head block rattling, buzzing, vibrating, growling (take your pick) even more than my old shaver. I don't know about the "German Precision Engineering" mentioned more than once in these reviews but this sounds more like what I'd expect from say a 20 cheapo than a Braun with a RRP of 160. On fiddling around I discovered that in positions 1 and 5 it's less noisy. But in the centre 3 positions or unlocked it rattles away like a good-un. Hum or purr it does not.

And as for it's given purpose, the actual shave isn't all that. It's certainly no better than my old shaver, and as with that, the only way I can get my couple of difficult 'bristle whorl' areas smooth is to jab the shaver at them.

But there are even more nits to be picked. Take the trimmer. I have muttonchops which need regular aligning, and what am I given to do this with? The silliest little convex (why convex???) trimmer less than an inch long with cutting blades recessed below their plastic housing so you can't see the actual blades when trying to trim. And even then they don't work! My old shaver has a 2 inch straight trimmer that can actually be seen and works like a dream, and is specially useful clearing up stray side and back neck hairs. This one's totally useless for any of that.

Then there's the charging cable. What's all that about? I have an MK wall shaver socket and have never had any problems using that with any shaver, toothbrush, dental irrigator, what have you. Until now. This bulky Braun plug just falls straight out! No way will it stay in the socket unless held there manually. But wait for it. It's the same with the other end. There is absolutely no purchase whatsoever when plugging the cable into the shaver itself. It surprises me that it even makes an electrical connection at all.

I've ranted enough. Glad to have got it all off my chest. (If not my chin). Let's finish by saying that contrary to others' opinions - call me old fashioned, but I also think that the piano black finish makes it look cheap and nasty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth irritation-free shave, inaccurate trimmer, 30 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My boyfriend tested this shaver.

The positive:
*It caused him no skin irritation whatsoever, and gave a nice quick clean shave, even with longer hair if he hasn't shaved for a few days. He said it was considerably quicker than other shavers he had used.

*It looks pretty smart.

The negative:
* It vibrates A LOT! Not a major problem, but a bit odd.

* Bit bulky and not as slick looking as a lot of shavers on he market these days. Whilst looks aren't everything when it comes to a shaver he said that the bulkiness of it meant that it was a bit more difficult to manoeuvre, especially using his non dominant hand.

* Precision trimmer was difficult to shape anything other than simple blunt sideburns. One side was possible but the other was very difficult to do neatly due to how he had to hold the bulky shaver.

*It has a pretty flimsy case, I wouldn't really even call it a case it's just a drawstring bag. The bag wouldn't be great for taking travelling as it would provide no protection.

*No stand for charging/storage (a bit disappointing considering the price)...He also said that the charger doesn't really attach that securely so feels like it could come out easily. It hasn't yet been a problem but often these things can develop with repeated use.

CONCLUSION: a pretty good shaver if you want a very quick painless shave and have simple sideburns. If not you may need a precision trimmer. Could be particularly handy for those who let a few days go by without shaving, as it was much quicker than other shavers at cutting the longer denser hairs.

2.0 out of 5 stars The relation quality – price is the awful, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I bought it because I read a good criticism in the OCU, (consumers' association).
Unfortunately I am very discontented. The quality of the shaved one leaves that to wish. It shaves worse than a Philips that I have 6 times cheaper. Namely that with the price of the Braun might buy to me 6 Philips and it would be still better shaved.
Also it is less soft. Sometimes I feel some pull on having shaved beard of 2 or 3 days, and that does not happen to me with another machine.
The relation quality – price is the awful.
That remains clear. I am not saying that it should not shave, but I was waiting much more for this price and compared with another cheapest machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars My best shaver so far, 5 Sep 2013
Richard Sterry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
This is the best performing shaver I have owned to date, and I've had a fair few over the years. The biggest problem I've had in the past is shavers not coping well with long straggly hairs, e.g. on the neck or under the jawbone, or hairs that are lying flat - despite all the advertising hyperbole. Well, this one doesn't just talk the talk, it actually does walk the walk. It seems a bit expensive for what it is, but I think you can say that about most quality shavers - if these manufacturers made cars then a Mini would cost as much as a Jaguar!

Pros: Shaves very well, not just stubble but long hairs too. The side trimmer is not too wide and works well. The body is fairly narrow and comfortable to hold. The combined foil and cutter cassette is convenient for removal and cleaning. The speed of the cutters is high - it hums rather than buzzes.

Cons: Only minor niggles. For a shaver of this price I would have hoped for a better battery charge state indication than just one LED. The soft drawstring carrying bag is a bit cheap - I'd have preferred a zip-up one. The clear plastic cover does not clip on very positively over the foil, and is easily dislodged when slipping the shaver in or out of the aforementioned bag. The two-pin plug with integral charger sticks out rather a long way from the mains socket and is easily knocked, all the more so if you are using a 3-pin to 2-pin 13A adaptor.

Overall I'm well pleased with this shaver and it's my best to date. It only drops a star because of those minor niggles, but I wouldn't let that put you off - it is unlikely to disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars It takes few days to learn, but now I can shave every day. Result is not like a razor blade., 17 July 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I decided to buy a Series 5 because I got bored of shaving just once every 3 days.
I have really tough beard and serntitive skin, so I might be a particular case. Anyways it worked!
It took some days to learn that the skin must be pulled and the razor should go in the opposite direction of hair growth.
The result is not the same as a razor, but it irritates much less. So I can shave every day.
For particularly difficult parts where you can see more hair than others I use the razorblade.

The pack arrived in time,
the price was cheaper than in stores...
all and all I am satisfied.

Good luck with your choices.

Vittorio