5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Braun...
Published 16 months ago by stylepuppy

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, fades over time
Really impressed with this to begin with. This was a gift for my son for Christmas after I'd been so impressed with the 5040 (see my review of Braun Series 5 5040 Rechargeable Wet and Dry Male Foil Shaver) which is essentially the same product except that you can't use it in the wet.

Assuming you don't want to use it wet, it has all the benefits of its big...
Published 13 months ago by mssmith1

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Braun..., 3 Dec 2012
stylepuppy (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Braun's habit of branding all their innovations with über-tech names like FlexMotionTec, UltraActiveLift and MacroMotion might make this shaver sound like a gimmick-filled toy but, ironically enough, what you actually get is the most refined and un-gimmicky shaver you could want. I'm sure all those features are there, working away in the background, but all you're really aware of is how good a shave it gives you.

This 5030s shaver claims to have been 'Made in Germany' and it feels like it, there's a real solidity and precision to it. The design is mostly understated and practical, the rubberised finish make it easy to hold and manoeuvre and they've kept the controls to a minimum. There are only two buttons, the power button (which also locks the shaver when held down for a few seconds) and a button which fixes the shaver head into one of 5 positions. Unlike earlier Braun shavers the foil and cutting block are now combined into one replaceable precision unit and each of the two foils and the middle trimmer are independently sprung so they conform to every contour. That independent suspension is probably one of the features with a fancy name - you don't need to know the name, just know that it works. The other impressive thing is how powerful it is compared to my previous Braun shavers, it does scythe though heavy stubble pretty easily - Braun call that the PowerDrive and I'll give them that one.

Quick tip for blade shaving men about to try their first electric shaver - never wet your face or beard before using an electric shaver (unless you've bought a specific wet & dry shaver like the Braun 5040) because this makes the stubble soft and pliable and it won't get cut cleanly by the foil. The stubble has to be dry and 'crisp' to poke through the metal foil and get the closest and most comfortable shave - for this reason it's usually best to shave first, before showering or washing your face.

I've been using Braun shavers for decades and had always been really happy with them, until a couple of years ago when my last Braun shaver started to show its age prematurely - the finish and build quality just weren't what I'd been used to from Braun. Their range at that time seemed a bit ropy so I thought I'd try my first rotary shaver instead - big mistake! The rotary couldn't deliver a very close shave and was prone to bad razor-burn - it just didn't suit my face at all and I couldn't wait to get rid of it and switch back to a foil shaver. Thankfully this 5030s has restored my faith in Braun shavers - it's a solid-feeling quality shaver with no unnecessary bells or whistles, just good design and ample power and the best shave I've had in years. It's good to be home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sensitive skin, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I have always had a problem whenever it comes to shaving; a few strokes of a razor to my face and my skin turns red and spotty. I have tried numerous shaving foams and moisturisers yet have never been able to combat this reaction. I looked online and many other men with sensitive skin had recommended using an electric shaver. Believing that you get what you paid for, I was prepared to pay that little bit more and chose the Braun 5030. Since using it for a few months the rashes and soreness have completely stopped, allowing me to shave every day rather than once or twice a week. As I am about to join the Navy and will be required to shave daily, this razor has made the task a lot less arduous and worrisome for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Design, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Ordered this to replace an ageing Braun which although still working is not holding charge to well (after 10 years).
This 5030 is a very well made and designed piece of kit.I would describe my beard as medium/heavy and this shaver deals with it no problem. Unlike my replaced shaver, this one deals with neck heirs very well. Only gripe is the poor 'travel bag' which is a very insubstantial cloth bag. Would have expected a hard case for a shaver in this price range, so for this a deduction of one star! Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 better than 3?, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
After 3 months of using the Braun Series 5 shaver, which was a replacement for my 4 year old Series 3, I am now comfortable with my new shaver. It is bigger and heavier, but it sounds more powerful, and gives a good clean shave on face and neck, which is more effective than my old one. The shaver charge lasts noticeably longer, and the foil is more rigidly fixed than the Series 3 (which had a tendency to become detached if you shaved off 90 degrees) but I have found the Series 5 flexible head to be of no extra benefit, so I have locked it in a fixed position. This allows me to apply more pressure to get the closest shave possible. The only disappointment is with the mustache/ beard trimmer which does not appear to be as wide or as sharp as the Series 3 - but is that just my shaver? Whilst I bought my Series 5 shaver through Amazon at a heavily discounted price (just slightly more than the Series 3), if there had been no discount I would have been happy to buy a Series 3 rather than pay more than 100 extra for a Series 5 - however both are more effective than my previous Philips and Panasonic shavers of the past, so I cannot ever see me buying anything other than a Braun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Piece of Kit but very Overpriced., 21 Feb 2013
Princess Mononoke (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always viewed Braun products favourably and this doesn't let the brand down. It feels quite sturdy and solid when you hold it, which feels quite reassuring - I know it's going to last a long time, and with a young almost teenage son it needs to. My son tells me that it was nice and comfortable to use and didn't make his skin feel tight and sore like the cheaper shaver he had at home; also it was quite quick to charge (about an hour), so at his age the charge lasts a couple of weeks. I agree with other reviewers that for the price Braun are selling it at you would expect a hard case to go with it and not a flimsy drawstring bag, and I noticed that the price has shot up to over 100 which is crazy. It's a nice solid razor but certainly not worth 100!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts Others Down to Size, 1 Dec 2012
Jack Percival (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used and reviewed several electric shavers in the past and until this arrived I was using a Philips Aquatouch but this totally cuts any of those down to size. From the moment you remove it from the box you can see that it's well built and comes with a bag for travel - something that this particular shaver excels at with a locking function available to prevent accidently turning it on and wasting the battery while in the case. It has lights to indicate when its charging or needs charging and the whole unit is water resistant for easy cleaning - just run under the tap.

But what about the shave? Hopefully its not just because its new but I can't knock this, massively more effective than the Philips unit I was using before and probably as tight as a razor just without the risk or pain. You can also rotate the head and then lock it into various different positions which while not something that I personally used, something that I see could be useful for some people. After use, you can just unclip the top section and run it under the tap ensuring that its clean and ready to use for next time.

Overall, I can do little to fault this shaver. It's effective, flexible and keeps you informed - it comes highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, fades over time, 25 Mar 2013
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Assuming you don't want to use it wet, it has all the benefits of its big brother. A smooth and unbelievably close shave. It's quiet, easy to clean, charges quickly, is well made and looks smart. The only downside I've come across is that it's performance drops off quite quickly (after around 3 months) and shaving starts to take a bit longer as you need to go over patches a couple of times to shave them completely. I can only assume that the blades need sharpening or changing, but I would have expected the excellent performance to last a little longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth irritation-free shave, inaccurate trimmer, 30 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My boyfriend tested this shaver.

The positive:
*It caused him no skin irritation whatsoever, and gave a nice quick clean shave, even with longer hair if he hasn't shaved for a few days. He said it was considerably quicker than other shavers he had used.

*It looks pretty smart.

The negative:
* It vibrates A LOT! Not a major problem, but a bit odd.

* Bit bulky and not as slick looking as a lot of shavers on he market these days. Whilst looks aren't everything when it comes to a shaver he said that the bulkiness of it meant that it was a bit more difficult to manoeuvre, especially using his non dominant hand.

* Precision trimmer was difficult to shape anything other than simple blunt sideburns. One side was possible but the other was very difficult to do neatly due to how he had to hold the bulky shaver.

*It has a pretty flimsy case, I wouldn't really even call it a case it's just a drawstring bag. The bag wouldn't be great for taking travelling as it would provide no protection.

*No stand for charging/storage (a bit disappointing considering the price)...He also said that the charger doesn't really attach that securely so feels like it could come out easily. It hasn't yet been a problem but often these things can develop with repeated use.

CONCLUSION: a pretty good shaver if you want a very quick painless shave and have simple sideburns. If not you may need a precision trimmer. Could be particularly handy for those who let a few days go by without shaving, as it was much quicker than other shavers at cutting the longer denser hairs.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUY, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Used the product now for some 4 weeks but has not given as close as shave as I thought I would get, in particular under the chin. Not as good as my previous Braun was when brand new. Excellent battery life after first charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars My best shaver so far, 5 Sep 2013
Richard Sterry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
This is the best performing shaver I have owned to date, and I've had a fair few over the years. The biggest problem I've had in the past is shavers not coping well with long straggly hairs, e.g. on the neck or under the jawbone, or hairs that are lying flat - despite all the advertising hyperbole. Well, this one doesn't just talk the talk, it actually does walk the walk. It seems a bit expensive for what it is, but I think you can say that about most quality shavers - if these manufacturers made cars then a Mini would cost as much as a Jaguar!

Pros: Shaves very well, not just stubble but long hairs too. The side trimmer is not too wide and works well. The body is fairly narrow and comfortable to hold. The combined foil and cutter cassette is convenient for removal and cleaning. The speed of the cutters is high - it hums rather than buzzes.

Cons: Only minor niggles. For a shaver of this price I would have hoped for a better battery charge state indication than just one LED. The soft drawstring carrying bag is a bit cheap - I'd have preferred a zip-up one. The clear plastic cover does not clip on very positively over the foil, and is easily dislodged when slipping the shaver in or out of the aforementioned bag. The two-pin plug with integral charger sticks out rather a long way from the mains socket and is easily knocked, all the more so if you are using a 3-pin to 2-pin 13A adaptor.

Overall I'm well pleased with this shaver and it's my best to date. It only drops a star because of those minor niggles, but I wouldn't let that put you off - it is unlikely to disappoint.

ARRAY(0xa47d54b0)