5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Braun...
Published on 3 Dec. 2012 by techpuppy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed rant.
I bought this on the strength of generally positive reviews here to replace my old trusted Braun rectangular block shaped high power Flex-Integra which although still shaving as well as it ever did has developed an annoying rattle from even new head assemblies. Understandable, wear and tear was inevitable after so many years of daily use.

So I was surprised to...
Published 16 months ago by R. Bartlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Braun..., 3 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Braun's habit of branding all their innovations with über-tech names like FlexMotionTec, UltraActiveLift and MacroMotion might make this shaver sound like a gimmick-filled toy but, ironically enough, what you actually get is the most refined and un-gimmicky shaver you could want. I'm sure all those features are there, working away in the background, but all you're really aware of is how good a shave it gives you.

This 5030s shaver claims to have been 'Made in Germany' and it feels like it, there's a real solidity and precision to it. The design is mostly understated and practical, the rubberised finish make it easy to hold and manoeuvre and they've kept the controls to a minimum. There are only two buttons, the power button (which also locks the shaver when held down for a few seconds) and a button which fixes the shaver head into one of 5 positions. Unlike earlier Braun shavers the foil and cutting block are now combined into one replaceable precision unit and each of the two foils and the middle trimmer are independently sprung so they conform to every contour. That independent suspension is probably one of the features with a fancy name - you don't need to know the name, just know that it works. The other impressive thing is how powerful it is compared to my previous Braun shavers, it does scythe though heavy stubble pretty easily - Braun call that the PowerDrive and I'll give them that one.

Quick tip for blade shaving men about to try their first electric shaver - never wet your face or beard before using an electric shaver (unless you've bought a specific wet & dry shaver like the Braun 5040) because this makes the stubble soft and pliable and it won't get cut cleanly by the foil. The stubble has to be dry and 'crisp' to poke through the metal foil and get the closest and most comfortable shave - for this reason it's usually best to shave first, before showering or washing your face.

I've been using Braun shavers for decades and had always been really happy with them, until a couple of years ago when my last Braun shaver started to show its age prematurely - the finish and build quality just weren't what I'd been used to from Braun. Their range at that time seemed a bit ropy so I thought I'd try my first rotary shaver instead - big mistake! The rotary couldn't deliver a very close shave and was prone to bad razor-burn - it just didn't suit my face at all and I couldn't wait to get rid of it and switch back to a foil shaver. Thankfully this 5030s has restored my faith in Braun shavers - it's a solid-feeling quality shaver with no unnecessary bells or whistles, just good design and ample power and the best shave I've had in years. It's good to be home.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 better than 3?, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
After 3 months of using the Braun Series 5 shaver, which was a replacement for my 4 year old Series 3, I am now comfortable with my new shaver. It is bigger and heavier, but it sounds more powerful, and gives a good clean shave on face and neck, which is more effective than my old one. The shaver charge lasts noticeably longer, and the foil is more rigidly fixed than the Series 3 (which had a tendency to become detached if you shaved off 90 degrees) but I have found the Series 5 flexible head to be of no extra benefit, so I have locked it in a fixed position. This allows me to apply more pressure to get the closest shave possible. The only disappointment is with the mustache/ beard trimmer which does not appear to be as wide or as sharp as the Series 3 - but is that just my shaver? Whilst I bought my Series 5 shaver through Amazon at a heavily discounted price (just slightly more than the Series 3), if there had been no discount I would have been happy to buy a Series 3 rather than pay more than £100 extra for a Series 5 - however both are more effective than my previous Philips and Panasonic shavers of the past, so I cannot ever see me buying anything other than a Braun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful shaver and a very close shave, 13 Dec. 2012
J. Lyne (Forres, Morayshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is the second Braun shaver I own and my favourite. It feels very well made and sits nicely in my hand. In use it is very powerful and cuts through even a weekend worth of stubble with little resistance and none of the pain I usually get when using an electric on longer hair. It even copes well with the longer flatter lying hairs which some other electrics miss. Wet mode is good, the head is locked in position allowing a firmer press and less resistance from the foam. The trimmer is quite small but well hidden when not in use and easy to see when you need it. Overall I have had a very good experience whilst using this device.

There are a couple of niggles which have caused me to drop it a star though... It comes with a soft bag, which when combined with the poorly fitting tip cover means that every time I have placed the shaver in the bag the cover has come off and I am lucky that the foils have not become damaged. A pricey replacement if they get damaged. Also there is no stand which means that it takes up quite a bit of space in the bathroom. And finally the downside of it being much more powerful than my previous electrics means that it makes considerably more noise and vibration.

Overall though the most important thing is the quality of shave, and on this I highly recommend this to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sensitive skin, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
I have always had a problem whenever it comes to shaving; a few strokes of a razor to my face and my skin turns red and spotty. I have tried numerous shaving foams and moisturisers yet have never been able to combat this reaction. I looked online and many other men with sensitive skin had recommended using an electric shaver. Believing that you get what you paid for, I was prepared to pay that little bit more and chose the Braun 5030. Since using it for a few months the rashes and soreness have completely stopped, allowing me to shave every day rather than once or twice a week. As I am about to join the Navy and will be required to shave daily, this razor has made the task a lot less arduous and worrisome for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun Series 5 Shaver Wet and dry, 10 Jan. 2013
Bought this haver as switched from using razors and shave foam, to something less messy and more environmentally friendly as not throwing away a razor every month and washing shaving foam filled with chemicals down the drain every day.

The shaver is very sell built and feel good in your hand, it comes with a charger and a case which i must say feels really cheap!!!! feels like about 20p worth also with the shaver is a shaver head clip protector which is again very cheap bit of plastic. Both the shaver case and shaver head protector let this product down a little considering the retail price of this product is £199.

Well to the shaver this shaves very well and close, as close to a wet shave as possible i think, it charges up quickly and there is a clever travel lock as a feature.

I would recommend this product to anyone looking to switch from a wet shave to an electric shaver, Braun make very good shavers and would say build quality is very good compared other products on the market .

5.0 out of 5 stars The best a man can get!, 19 Nov. 2012
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was using a Braun shaver before this one and so must declare an interest. My previous model was nearly 6 years old and due for replacement.
The 5030 is typical of a Braun in that it has Germanic build quality and a nice chunky feel.
The shaving is in my view as good as a wet shave but quicker and less messy.
I suffer with very sensitive skin and this shaver, like my previous model does not cause any irritation what so ever.
It makes shaving easier and less of a chore. I find you can get between 4 or 5 shaves on a single charge.
Cleaning is easy on several counts, the cutting heads are a cartridge which is easy to remove and rinse, and you can clean this shaver under the tap.
However I think if you buy this shaver, and I certainly would recommend that, I would also recommend that you buy the clean and charge station for about £45.00.
This is a brilliant system which cleans and charges the shaver. It really cleans it well and the system sorts itself out as to what intensity is required.
Replacing the cutting foil is easy, unclip with one press and clip the new one in place.
I strongly recommend this shaver, Braun makes a superb high quality product with easily replaceable foils and painless cleaning, especially with the service station as an add on.
I can't think of any negatives, even the various parts are easy to obtain anywhere.
I can add that Braun recommend replacing the foil and cutter cartridge every 18 months, I have found that the best I can get is about 10 months before it will start to nick your skin.
Overall, it's "The best a man can get"

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Performance if You've Got the Cash, 18 Dec. 2012
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is in the Premier League of shavers. The motor seems to buzz and even THROB with power and it is also an aesthetically pleasing item that delivers the high performance its high price demands.

What's so good about it? The quality materials and finish mark it down as a machine that's had an awful lot of loving design time and R&D costs spent on it. Those Germans can really produce beautiful items when they set their mind to it!

Part of the grip is hard rubber which allows you to have a reassuring grasp of the instrument as it glides over the face like a hovercraft. I always have a fair amount of stubble in the mornings - often as hard and difficult to shift as Desperate Dan's arse hair - but this beautiful beast scythed through it with the smooth precision of a cornering, top-of-the-range Mercedes-Benz.

What else is good about it? Well, apparently you can use it for wet shaves - but I haven't tried this (and nor do I intend to). But if you wish to use it this way, or even shave in the shower, you can do so. You have my permission. Naturally it can also be cleaned directly under the tap.

It also emits a beep when you need to recharge it, and this occurs well before you hear the familiar drone reminiscent of the sound issuing from a gunned-down Messerschmidt. Recharging time is minimal (1 hour) and this supplies you with enough time for well over a dozen long shaves.

If you can afford it, this is a real quality item that shaves you EXTREMELY close without chafing the skin. Best shaver I've ever used, no question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Braun, 5 Dec. 2012
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This replaces my previous high-end Braun shaver, so I'll tackle it's performance from both a new and existing user angle.

The series 5 shaver is a grooming product of choice. Unlikely to be the first shaver for many people, it's easy to understand, once used, why there is a price disparity across the range. With a wide head and a really close shaving mechanism, a great shave doesn't take too long. It cuts significantly closer to cheaper models, even from well established brands. You get what you pay for. There are plenty of other features - listed above - that don't need embellishment. You want a close shave, which doesn't damage your skin, then buy this product.

Upgrading from a previous higher end model isn't such a necessity, however the new flexible head does mean shaving delivers a more consistent result (especially around the neck) without the requirement of any facial gymnastics. It makes the experience more natural, more akin to a bladed shave in the manoeuvrings. It's noisier because it's more powerful, otherwise it delivers a similarly great shave. The release for the foil is a little fiddly, however it's a small gripe, not enough to suggest an alternative because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband loves it, 5 Jan. 2013
My husband has always bought Braun shavers, but is impressed by this one. He says the shave is quicker, he has it almost 3 weeks and with daily shaving, it has not needed rechargeing yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Design, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Ordered this to replace an ageing Braun which although still working is not holding charge to well (after 10 years).
This 5030 is a very well made and designed piece of kit.I would describe my beard as medium/heavy and this shaver deals with it no problem. Unlike my replaced shaver, this one deals with neck heirs very well. Only gripe is the poor 'travel bag' which is a very insubstantial cloth bag. Would have expected a hard case for a shaver in this price range, so for this a deduction of one star! Would recommend.

Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver