5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Braun
This replaces my previous high-end Braun shaver, so I'll tackle it's performance from both a new and existing user angle.

Published 16 months ago by Mr. G. Battle

3.0 out of 5 stars Braun 5040 : Disappointing
I bought this to replace a Braun Series 3 which had reached the end of its life. I had read reviews which gave me the impression the 5 Series would be significantly better than the 3 Series. My comments on the 5040 are :
- The On/Off switch is badly placed and it's too easy to switch the razor off during use
- The razor is much bulkier than the 3 Series making...
Published 14 months ago by Malcolm

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Braun, 5 Dec 2012
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5040s-5 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The series 5 shaver is a grooming product of choice. Unlikely to be the first shaver for many people, it's easy to understand, once used, why there is a price disparity across the range. With a wide head and a really close shaving mechanism, a great shave doesn't take too long. It cuts significantly closer to cheaper models, even from well established brands. You get what you pay for. There are plenty of other features - listed above - that don't need embellishment. You want a close shave, which doesn't damage your skin, then buy this product.

Upgrading from a previous higher end model isn't such a necessity, however the new flexible head does mean shaving delivers a more consistent result (especially around the neck) without the requirement of any facial gymnastics. It makes the experience more natural, more akin to a bladed shave in the manoeuvrings. It's noisier because it's more powerful, otherwise it delivers a similarly great shave. The release for the foil is a little fiddly, however it's a small gripe, not enough to suggest an alternative because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 3 Jan 2013
Warleybear (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing that is noticeable about this shaver is that it is sturdy and easy to hold. This shaver worked very well in both wet and dry conditions (I preferred using it in the shower - but that was my personal choice). It is an improvement on the last Braun I owned (Series 3) which I thought was a very good shaver. The shave quality is excellent, surpassing any electric shaver I have had in the past - I shave every day and I ended up with a smooth shave without having to press the shaver into my skin. Despite regular use, I haven't suffered any skin irritation. The battery appears to be excellent. I have quite a few shaves out of a charge (certainly more than a couple of weeks' worth). The shaver comes with an easy to use trimmer which worked fine. Not sure how long the foils last - from experience of my previous Braun (and to be fair other 'foil' shavers), a replacement can be a significant cost compared to the price of the shaver. A couple of minor points are that the head cover seems to not hold on particularly well and the instruction book covers a number of shavers - which is at first confusing.

The results you get from an Electric shaver can be different to each person, but in my case I found this to be a very good shaver and really useful that it could be used `wet' unlike other electric shavers I have had in the past. This is certainly the most impressive electric shaver I have owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband loves it, 5 Jan 2013
My husband has always bought Braun shavers, but is impressed by this one. He says the shave is quicker, he has it almost 3 weeks and with daily shaving, it has not needed rechargeing yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful shaver and a very close shave, 13 Dec 2012
J. Lyne (Forres, Morayshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is the second Braun shaver I own and my favourite. It feels very well made and sits nicely in my hand. In use it is very powerful and cuts through even a weekend worth of stubble with little resistance and none of the pain I usually get when using an electric on longer hair. It even copes well with the longer flatter lying hairs which some other electrics miss. Wet mode is good, the head is locked in position allowing a firmer press and less resistance from the foam. The trimmer is quite small but well hidden when not in use and easy to see when you need it. Overall I have had a very good experience whilst using this device.

There are a couple of niggles which have caused me to drop it a star though... It comes with a soft bag, which when combined with the poorly fitting tip cover means that every time I have placed the shaver in the bag the cover has come off and I am lucky that the foils have not become damaged. A pricey replacement if they get damaged. Also there is no stand which means that it takes up quite a bit of space in the bathroom. And finally the downside of it being much more powerful than my previous electrics means that it makes considerably more noise and vibration.

Overall though the most important thing is the quality of shave, and on this I highly recommend this to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun Series 5 Shaver Wet and dry, 10 Jan 2013
Bought this haver as switched from using razors and shave foam, to something less messy and more environmentally friendly as not throwing away a razor every month and washing shaving foam filled with chemicals down the drain every day.

The shaver is very sell built and feel good in your hand, it comes with a charger and a case which i must say feels really cheap!!!! feels like about 20p worth also with the shaver is a shaver head clip protector which is again very cheap bit of plastic. Both the shaver case and shaver head protector let this product down a little considering the retail price of this product is 199.

Well to the shaver this shaves very well and close, as close to a wet shave as possible i think, it charges up quickly and there is a clever travel lock as a feature.

I would recommend this product to anyone looking to switch from a wet shave to an electric shaver, Braun make very good shavers and would say build quality is very good compared other products on the market .

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Electric shave in years, 7 Nov 2013
Having used Braun for years (at least 3 models) I thought I'd try something new and bought a Philips Wet & Dry shaver a year ago (Philips AT890/17 AquaTouch Plus Wet & Dry). I often don't shave over the weekend, so figured a wet & dry shaver would be worth a go as I was fed up with nicks and soreness on my Monday morning shave. I also thought that a rotating head design would be worth a try. From day 1 the Philips was incredible smooth and quiet to use BUT wet or dry gave a really poor shave. I persevered for months tried wet and dry modes and a combination, but ultimately ended up finishing off with my 5 year old Braun if I wanted a good close shave.
Last month I finally gave in and reviewed various Braun's and chose the most recent model, with good reviews at a good price which still offered wet & dry.
I have had this razor for nearly 3 weeks and it is outstanding. I have only used in dry mode so far, but it's smooth, very easy to use and most importantly doesn't involve going over the same area to catch stray hairs, it shaves really close 1st time.
Answering a few other reviews, I don't find the razor too heavy, the on/off button position is fine (I haven't turned it off by mistake yet) and the trimmer works fine (unlike the Philips). Only slight niggle is that the power lead doesn't fit tightly into the base so can pull out easily, but I leave it to charge on a shelf when needed so not a real problem.

I have no reservation giving this 5 stars, it gave the best shave I've had in years and probably the best electric shave ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and gives a very close shave..., 14 Dec 2012
Christopher Meadows (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In one sentence: This is a seriously good, high quality electric razor.

It's solidly built, with a body composed of black plastic, with some areas also given a rubberised grip. The body of the razor is contoured, and fits the hand very well. There are two main controls on the body - the sliding selector for "wet/dry shave" and the (reasonably large) power button. The wet/dry shave selector is a nice idea, though realistically all it does is change the degree of pre-set resistance in the shaver head. I didn't notice any difference in the quality of the provided shave in either set of conditions, but it's still a nice feature.

The power button is reasonably large, and easy to press, and isn't raised up, so it doesn't hurt when you push down on it, which is nice. Personally I might have switched the sizes of the power button and the shave selector, as you're going to be using the power button more often - but this is a very minor niggle.
The bottom of the razor body carries a charge indicator, which changes colour to indicate if the battery needs charging; the razor seems to have an impressive capacity though, as so far it's only needed charging once every 3-4 weeks.

The beard trimmer is easy to push up and down, and styles nicely - the one on the preceding Series 3 had a tendency to jam, so the increase in build quality is welcome.

The pivoting head is interesting - it does move quite freely, adjusting to the contours of the user's face, and it really does seem to have an effect on the quality of the provided shave. The foil cassette is unremarkable, though it does come with a rather flimsy plastic cover - the only part of the experience I'm not overly fond of. The Series 3's had a sturdier version, which seemed more protective and robust. I'm always concerned I'm going to lose the new cover (as it's small, clear plastic) or that it won't effectively reattach to the cassette head, and fall off somewhere.
The shaver comes with the standard Braun charging lead, which remains disappointingly short, but otherwise is reasonably good quality cabling. It also has a nice soft carry case, if you need to take it traveling.

The shave quality provided is, honestly, very, very good. Prior to switching over to this razor, I was alternating between a Braun Series 3 340s and a Gillette Mach3 safety razor. Frankly, this Series 5 blows the Series 3 out of the water in terms of closeness of shave. It's on a par with, or better than, the Mach 3 `manual' razor as well. Where the Series 3 provided a tolerable shave, but required running over problematic areas repeatedly, the Series 5 has only ever required one pass over an area to shave it closely. The Series 3, with a fixed head, also had difficulty with some contours of the face and neck, where the pivoting head on the Series 5 allows it to reach these areas, resulting in a closer, more pleasant shave.

Basically, this is a high quality electric razor, whose shave is leagues ahead of previous Braun entries, and indeed, most of the overall electric shaver market. It's a high-end item, and it shows. The provided shave is at least on par with a normal safety razor, and possibly better. If you're looking for a replacement for an electric, or even a safety, then this is quite probably the best option. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Solid Electric Shaver, 21 Nov 2012
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit to being a fan of Braun foil shavers and this one is yet another solid product. The razor itself is pretty big and feels very solidly made. There are only two buttons on the front - a round on/off switch and a slider to fix the foil into place (personally I have never needed to use this function with any shaver I have ever owned). There appear to have been some improvments over my old Braun, the blades sound like they are moving faster (so you can get more of the hairs first time) and waste retention is much better. The shave itself is pretty close and the foil is comfortable. The pop up trimmer on the back works pretty well.

It is a solid piece of kit and feels like it when you are holding it. It is pretty tactile and is covered in soft touch plastic so grip is good whether you are holding it dry or in the shower. The only minor criticism I can give it is that the motor does make it shake slightly when you are using it - just don't grasp it too hard and it is barely noticable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closest electric shaver I've ever used plus powerful enough for my head!, 19 Nov 2012
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow. I'm just amazed by how good this shaver is. In my late 30s, I've used a fair few electric shavers in my time, and usually ended up with Philishave rotary shavers as these seemed to suit my skin better and deal with longer hairs better. I tried a Panasonic wet and dry non-rotary shaver a couple of years ago to see if things had moved on, but it didn't cut as close as my faithful old three-head philishave. I returned to the Philishave, but alas after a good 8 years or so, it finally packed up (after being dropped on a very unforgiving floor!)

This Braun is a different ball game. Unbelievably close - I would even go as far as saying it cuts as close as a wet shave, which I didn't think was possible for an electric shaver. Deals with long hairs easily, and charges quickly. It's also incredibly powerful - on my first go it shot through a week's stubble with no problem, and I've also found it's able to shave my head - previously I used to wet shave this, but with the flexible head of this one, I can easily reach all over.

After my experience with the Panasonic, I honestly didn't expect to be so impressed with this, but it's fantastic. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Braun 5040 : Disappointing, 23 Jan 2013
Malcolm (Stockport, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
- The razor is much bulkier than the 3 Series making it less pleasant to use
- The razor does not seem to shave significantly faster or better than the 3 Series
- The trimmer is much more difficult to use because of the bulk of the shaver.
- Therefore the extra cost doesn't seem to be worth it unless the 5040 lasts longer than the 3 Series.

Having said all this, I still maintain that Braun shavers are better than anything else I've tried.

ARRAY(0xac654a5c)