5.0 out of 5 stars Dearly beloved...
Published 24 months ago by techpuppy

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Not close enough
My rotary shaver being past its best the opportunity to try a high specification Braun foil shaver was just too good too miss. The shaver is neat and comfortable in the hand. It's a little bit noisy, but not too bad. But the disappointment for me is that it just doesn't produce as close a shave as my venerable rotary. I've waited a couple of weeks before passing opinion...
Published on 11 Dec. 2012 by NorfolkBooks

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Dearly beloved..., 14 May 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 5 5070cc-5 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been faithful to Braun shavers since my teenage years - apart from one brief affair with a shapely rotary shaver a few years ago. That was all a big mistake, we were never really compatible, there were minor skin injuries, I was left half-shaven and bitter, tempers were lost, bad things were said - it all ended very badly. Thankfully Braun and I are back together again, older and a little wiser, they've made some changes, I've made some payments, things are good again. The thing I like most about the current 5 series is that they've distilled everything that's good about a Braun shaver into an incredibly refined and simple-looking design - there aren't any bells or whistles, just everything you need for a close and comfortable shave - and not much else. My previous Braun shavers had displays showing the current battery charge and other info - the 5070cc doesn't and although I slightly miss it I have to also admit the battery in this model seems to lasts longer and is much faster to charge, so it's not that big a problem.

The shave I get is excellent, the best I've ever had from a Braun actually, and it even gets those annoying neck hairs that my previous shavers would miss. Previously I'd have to use the inbuilt sideburn trimmers to shorten those neck hairs before using the shaver on them - I never have to do this with the 5070cc, in fact the only thing I use the sideburn trimmer for is, you guessed it, trimming sideburns. Braun claim to have developed a way to lift awkward hairs away from the skin for cutting, meaning you don't need to press so hard, and this is probably what catches those neck hairs - but this also means you need to be careful to use a lighter touch with this model, or it is possible to graze yourself and get some shaver burn.

The clean and charge unit is also a much refined and simplified version compared with previous models - it's so much faster. Previously a full clean could take 40 minutes on some models but this one takes about 5 minutes! If you keep your shaver in a bathroom where the shaver socket switches off with the light you had to leave the light on all day so the cleaner could finish cleaning - no more, 5 minutes and it's done, which means it's easier to keep the shaver squeaky clean and fresh ready for use. The only real disappointment with this pack is that you only get a (quite cheap-feeling) soft carry pouch for the shaver when a hard case would be much better. Apart from that, it's an excellent buy, a superb refined shaver with an efficient and effective cleaner. Till death us do part?

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carlsberg made razors............, 14 Nov. 2013
Last year I finally had to replace an aging Braun razor which had served me well (Braun 7570) but no longer held a charge, and decided to try a Panasonic. Unfortunately I never really found it a particularly efficient machine for my skin and never gave me the sort of shave I had been used to. Equally unfortunately a wet shave is not an option either, as it only takes a couple of these before my skin reacts quite badly

I saw this Braun (Braun Series 5 5070cc-5 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre) in the Black Friday deals and bought straight away, and have been really pleased I did. The shave is one of the closest I have had from an Electric Razor, lasts all day and not much less than a wet shave would give. It is comfortable to hold, and whilst there is a little vibration it is considerably less than its predecessor. The 'floating head' design seems to work quite well, and it copes well with both long and short hairs without the 'tugging' some razors (and include my earlier Braun) can give. It also holds its charge very well; at least two weeks or more, and even when the low light comes on there is sufficient for another two or three shaves, whilst recharging is very quick. I shoul add I've now had this razor for nearly a year and despite the toughness of my beard it still seems as sharp as when I got it and does not yet need a replacement head.

Cons:
Unfortunately there are a couple of downsides to the razor - firstly the long hair trimmer is not a patch on previous ones. It is on the 'reverse' side and needs quite a push to raise it up to working level, which is well above the cutting head. Even so the trimmer is quite small and does not seem particularly efficient either, and I find it difficult to get an even edge when using it. The other disappointment was the cleaning centre which isn't a patch on the one that came with my Braun 7570. That one was relatively compact, held the razor firmly, gave a programmed wash and the razor was available for use almost immediately afterwards. This one is quite ungainly, does not hold the razor very well (although you can store the razor in it easily) and just seems to fill up with cleaning fluid and give a small 'whir' of the blades before slowly draining away. Yes the heads are cleaned well, but it seems to take almost the whole day for it to dry out. It also uses quite a bit of fluid each time, and as soon as you use the razor it says it needs cleaning again - I've found once a week is more than sufficient and ignore the 'clean me' caption.

Notwithstanding the above this is still the best electric razor I have owned in the last 40 odd years. If I was to break it tomorrow I would have no hesitation in ordering another, and see no point in going higher up the range (ie to the 7 series).

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun 5070cc shaver - Easily the best electric shave to be had........., 15 May 2013
Ian Wantling (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Opening the box you will find the shaver itself,a soft carry drawstring pouch, a foil head protector cover, mains lead, instruction manual and the clean and charge stand.

Over the years I've used and reviewed several electric shavers, from the cheaper Remington rotary float head models, Philips, and Braun. by far the best electric shaver I've had was the Braun Series 3 390cc, and now the Series 5 5070cc.

The 5070cc looks good with its gloss and matt black finish, and in your hand feels to be a sturdy, substantial shaver. The shaver charges in the cleaning stand,which you're advised to use after each shave. Personally, from using the series 3, I only clean and recharge once a week as I find you get a much longer life from the cleaning cartridge, but if you want the brand new never been used feel from the unit then charging and cleaning after each use will be best for you and as such it will be best if you find a permanent site for the stand in your bathroom.

Using the shaver is a pleasure, and compared to the cheaper models the difference is clear. It feels powerful when you use it, and it took me around three minutes to get a complete smooth shave. I don't have particularly thick stubble and can get away with needing to shave every other day. I've never used an electric shaver that shaves as close as a wet blade but the 5070cc wasn't far from the same result. Unlike the series 3 shaver which has a static fixed shaver head, the series 5 has a pivoted head which moves through an angle of about 30 degrees and moves to the contours of your face as you shave.

One more consideration is the cleaning cartridges...... If you have heavy stubble and need to shave daily then you'll definitely benefit from cleaning the shaver daily and this will consume one cleaning cartridge per. month and these currently work out at just under £4 each when bought in a triple pack. I would also mention its a good idea to replace the foil head each year or when you notice a deterioration in performance - these can be ordered from Amazon for (currently) £23.

So, to conclude. The 5070cc gives a fabulously easy close shave. Yes, it's at the upper end of the price range for a shaver, but you really are paying for a top quality unit, and one that if looked after properly will last many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Close Shave, 16 Jan. 2013
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used many shavers over the years and tend to lean towards Philips and their rotary shavers and have used them for many years over other brands and types of shavers. I'm always willing to give other shavers a go if they look like they might do the job and have enough features to make it a worthwhile purchase.

I've used a couple of other Braun shavers in the past but this was probably the highest model that I've ever used and the results are impressive. I always tend to go for top model shavers and keep them for a number of years and liked the idea of the cleaning/charging stand that came with this one. I always clean my shaver under the tap after use but that never completely does the job so placing it in the cleaning dock after each shave leaves it feeling like new when you get up the next morning to shave. I'm not sure how long the cleaning fluid will last though or how much they cost to replace, that's something I need to look into. I also don't clean it every day as that requires the base unit to be plugged into the mains and some days it's not practical or I don't have the time, but doing so every few days seems to work well.

The base also charges the shaver within an hour which is something I always look for in a shaver, some shavers can take hours and hours to charge and I simply don't have the time to wait for them. As for how long the battery lasts I'd say around a week, maybe a little longer before it needs a full recharge, assuming you don't dock and charge it everyday. So is good for me to take away on holiday for a week where taking the charging base is impractical.

As for the actual shaver itself, it's waterproof for a start so can be used in the shower if needed and can be washed out under the tap to clean it daily. There are several heads on the unit itself that move with the contours of the face and they actually give a pleasing shave. It feels very different using this type of foil shaver coming from a rotary shaver and I found the Braun to be easier to use in some hard to reach places where rotary shaver just don't fit the shape of the face. I've always suffered with shaver burn and it can irritate my skin which is primarily why I use the Philips Nivea line. Using the Braun without any shaving conditioner/gel I found that it didn't burn/irritate as much as previous shavers I'd used, I would say it's reduced by half so I'd still use something on my face with this shaver. That's no fault of the shaver though, just how I was made unfortunately.

All in all I had a good experience using the Braun and I'd quite happily trade in my usual brand and switch over to Braun. I've always like charging stands or base units and this one is super with the built in cleaning. It can be a tad pricey but if you shop around then it can be found at a good price, especially here on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good if expensive at full price, 18 Feb. 2013
Andy Edwards "staxasoul" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Phillips (also kindly provided by Vine) gave up the ghost after only a few months, so I was pleased to have this offered, as I had used a Braun some years ago, with good results. The good news is that Braun have produced an excellent shaver, which gives a close shave, with it's flexible head. It's not perhaps as close as my old Phillips rotary shaver, with its 3 blades but there's not much in it.

It comes down to personal preference, I guess and this Braun seems a solidly built item, so it won't fall apart like the Philiips did - I'm sticking with the Braun. I don't think I will be cleaning it daily via the "Clean and Charge" base unit though, those replacement packs of cleaning fluid don't come cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver, 17 April 2014
I've changed my old top-series Braun 8585 onto this one, after looking on some other brands and seeing some bad reviews I've decided to stay with Braun and I wasn't wrong - this shaver is a way better than my old one, cuts all the hair with two strokes and does it close enough, I fully recommend this is a great buy!

Only minus is lack of heater in cleaning device, takes a long while before it gets dry

To all people complaining about cleaning fluid cost: you don't have to do it everyday, every few days is enough to keep it clean, just open it and get rid of loose hair after every shave ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver, but Clean and Charge station is a waste of money, 18 Nov. 2012
The Fat Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all I must say that this is a very nice shaver. Solid, heavy, very well constructed and gives a good shave.. but more of that later...

The 5070cc is basically the 5030s (see here) shaver with the Clean and Renew Charger bundled.

This bulky, cheap plastic 'cleaning and charging station' really lets the package down. It is about the size of a 100 CD spindle pack for a start... who has that kind of space on the bathroon shelf? The shaver sits at a 'jaunty' angle, head down when charging and/or cleaning and just looks a bit of a mess really. And the cleaning process (for which you will need to buy replacements at about £12 for 3 - each of which lasts 30 cleans, and the manual recommends you clean after EVERY use!) consists of the alcohol solution bubbling up around the shaver head (and spitting onto the surface around the Clean and Renew unit ocassionally!) and the head running a few times... is this really a suitable clean - time will tell.

Just to reiterate then. If you shave every day and follow the recommendation to run a clean cycle after every use then you are going to be spending £12 every three months - or about £50 per year - just to keep this clean! Add to that the cost of new heads at about £20 a pop and you are looking at pretty high running costs.

My first piece of advice, then, is don't bother with the 5070cc, just buy the Braun Series 5 5030s Rechargeable Male Foil Shaver and get a great shaver and an extra £40 in your pocket for your first coupl eof replacement heads.

A GREAT SHAVE

So, what's so good about the shaver? Well, I prefer foil shavers to rotary shavers anyway so this one score points for me from the off. The problem I've had with some foil shavers, though, is that they can have a tendency to over-heat a little... not so this one. The head remains cool throughout the shave.

What's more, it is one of the most comfortable foil heads I have ever used. I think the swivelling head is potentially a bit of a gimmick (my wrist has a swivvel built in, I'd guess yours does too), but it certainly doesn't detract from the experience.

The shave also seems very close. When switching shaver types, be it rotary to foil, blade to electric or whatever, your skin generally takes a few shaves to get used to the new shaver. Second shave with this shaver was easily as close as I'd been getting with my previous rotary.

TRAVEL USE

If you do go for the 5070ss with the bulky monstrosity of a charger the good news is that the shaver itself has a charging socket on the bottom (something sadly lacking from my previous Philips shaver). Even if you do like the Clean and Charge station, this direct charging connection menas two things - i) you can run the shaver corded if the battery runs flat and ii) you don't need to take the Clean and Charge bucket with you when travelling.

SERIES 5

There is a higher model in this range - the 5090cc - which has a more detailed battery meter on the shaver itself and a couple of different clean cycles (for when your shaver doesn't need as thorough a clean?!??!), but other than that most of the range seems very similar. The 5040 having the only significant difference of being a wet/dry shaver - the others are all dry shave only.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent shaver, 5 Feb. 2013
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had been using a Braun Series 3 shaver for some time and I thought it was excellent, certainly the best shaver I had ever used. When I acquired this Series 5 shaver I didn't expect it to improve on the Series 3, thinking the only upgrade would be the clean and charge station. I was therefore surprised to find that my morning shave seemed to take noticeably less time with the Series 5. Also, with all my previous shavers I have invariably had to "finish off" the hard to get to areas with a manual razor, but using the Series 5 I found that this wasn't really necessary. This was probably largely down to the impressive pivoting head which really does seem to enable you to achieve an efficient close all-round shave. Another impressive feature of the Series 5 is that it seems to hold its charge for much longer than I have come to expect from other shavers, as I have been using it now for a couple of months and I have only had to recharge it twice. The only feature I'm not sure about is the cleaning station. Whilst it is recommended that the cleaning station is used every day I find that I now use it only once a week (or even less) and I remain unconvinced that it is really necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome, 5 Dec. 2014
I got this to replace my aging old Braun Series 5 8590 which was great but this is a noticeable improvement. Feels much more powerful and shaving takes me half as long now. Very close shave, 99% as close as a blade. Also the head doesn't seem to get clogged with stubble so much, easily taps out so you don't have to run the cleaning center every time.

Pros: Powerful, looks good, shaves very fast and comfortable.
Cons: Beard trimmer is a bit lame but does the job.

Overall, well worth the money, glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Braun I've owned., 19 Feb. 2014
JM Lunn "JML" (Beverley) - See all my reviews
Braun quality shines through. Closest shave I've ever had, even from new Braun shavers in the past. Found you don't need to clean after every shave as recommended, once a week is sufficient. Because the cleaning unit also charges the battery I can't comment on battery life other than to say there is no drop off in power after one week. Not the cheapest shaver available but I can honestly say it's the best one I've owned since I started shaving forty years ago!