4.0 out of 5 stars A pain to set up, but a good capture card.
Having purchased the SD version of this card, and was impressed with the results, I purchased this one as the idea of recording in HD seemed so appealing, for only £10 more.

Published 8 months ago by Ryan A

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor item that burns out
My son bought 1 Roxio game capture early 2014, stopped working after a few months, tried reinstalling all software but to no avail - burnt out, so he opted to buy in May 2014 this model, burnt out and stopped working by August 2014! 2 months and it burnt out.
Published 6 months ago by Duckers

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor item that burns out, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Roxio Game Capture HD Pro (PS4/PS3/Wii/Xbox 360/Xbox One) (Accessory)
I must admit my son does use it a lot, but for it to fail after only 2 months is not very good, he's now looking at roxio's competitors products as a more reliable way to capture his games footage and upload to youtube
As a parent who's bought and helped a child make a purchase based on price, quality and reputation I'm afraid that this product has failed us - It's left me angry at how quickly the product has failed and it's left my son upset because he thought he was buying a quality and reliable product

4.0 out of 5 stars A pain to set up, but a good capture card., 12 Jun. 2014

I can only talk about my experience here, but setting it up was a nightmare. When installing the software from the included CD, it offers to check for updates. An update is available for the software, but it doesn't work from the initial install, apparantly. What I found works for me is to install using ONLY the CD version of the software. But this doesn't work straight away either. Once the computer has restarted, install the updates from the program under the 'Help' menu. THEN it'll work.

Otherwise, I have no real issues with it. The capture quality is decent, especially for HD, and everything is captured at 30fps, making editting easier also. While not a huge issue, capturing PS3 footage is more of a pain than it needs to be. Because the PS3 uses HDCP, it will not capture it by HDMI (yet, will show in the capture screen with the 'Signal Protected' status.) You must use Component cables for the PS3 on 1080i, maximum. However, with the capture card powered on, you can output this to the TV via HDMI, or alternatively, with the power off, another component cable. I believe the OUYA is the same way, regarding HDCP. But no Component workaround exists for OUYA. I don't have a PS4 or XBone to try this either.

Once everything is set up, everything is rather simple from then on. It's simply a case of booting the capture program, selecting Component/HDMI, switching the console on, and hitting capture. There are settings to tweak quality and picture, but for me, default settings worked just fine.

My only other, minor gripe is that no cables are included. The SD version came with everything you needed to get started, minus the console specific Component cables. Which is understandable. This HD Pro version comes with nothing. Just the unit and a USB cable. Not even a single HDMI cable for connecting to the TV, which, to me, screams cost cutting.

But regardless, I can't deny that it's a good bit of kit. I recommend it, but just be aware that not everything will be as smooth as you expect it to be during setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 31 Jan. 2013
Thought I'd wait a couple months after buying it to decide to write a review, so I could get a good feel for how it is.

I had previously owned a Hauppauge, and was extremely happy with that product. The reason I got rid of it was because I was moving and getting married, and I wasn't sure how much time I would have to record gameplay.

After things settled down, I felt the itch to get back into making videos, and needing something to get started. After reading some iffy reviews, I decided to take a chance when it went on sale for a nice price (£40 - £50 less than its competition).

The setup is very straight forward. I have both an Xbox and a PS3, and I am able to have both plugged in (PS3 with component, Xbox with HDMI)

The capture software is easy to use. I've had a couple of captures fail on me, but it isn't very often. I had an issue where the preview screen wasn't displaying properly. That was fixed by resetting my video card setting to default, and everything has run smooth since that.

While the editing software that comes with it isn't the best out there, it does the job and will give you a chance to post good quality videos without breaking your wallet.

All in all, very happy with this purchase. The only one I'm even tempted to switch to is the Elgato, but that is only so that if I'm not recording something, I can go back and capture it. That's more of a software thing rather than a capture card thing though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good capture card, 7 Nov. 2014
Good capture card, can record via HDMI or HD Component cable. Captures in high definition at 1080i and 720p. Be aware you cannot record PS3 via HDMI as the signal is protected. I didn't know this at the time when purchasing it. This isn't Roxio's fault as Sony chose to protect the signal on the PS3. The only way to capture PS3 in high definition is to use a PlayStation component AV cable. XBOX 360 works fine capturing either on HDMI or Component HD cable.

The supplied software is easy to use when recording and even has an editing feature after recording your content. In my opinion it's best to use a more advanced editing software.
I had to replace the capture card as the first one came with a broken pin inside the USB port. Overall a good capture card to capture your gameplay in HD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely ever worked, and worked badly when it did, 16 Jun. 2014
Ugh, where to begin. The kit is a pain to set up, you have to hook everything up in a very specific way, otherwise it just won't work and it can often feel like random luck when you finally get it working. The included software is absolute garbage, with hardly any options for streaming OR recording video, and the capture card also has ZERO compatibility with any other software, so you're stuck with their terrible software.

If you have a problem with the card, all of the product's technical forums are run by customers, absolutely NO technical staff even look at those forums, so they're full of dozens of unresolved cases of customers taking their best guesses, it's appalling. Unfortunately, you'll be needing as much technical assistance as possible too, as the product works as it's supposed to VERY rarely. In owning it for a year, I was only able to successfully get it working on 2 separate occasions. I am tech savvy and even I was still baffled by the device more often than not.

You cannot record gameplay AND yourself at the same time, a feature that is so basic you would naturally just assume it was included as standard, but it is not, and as I stated earlier, the card doesn't work with any other software so you're stuck with the arbitrary limitations that Roxio have placed on the product. XSplit claims to have some compatability with it, but if it does, I wasn't able to get it working after hours of trying.

In short, the only reason this review got 2 stars is because I managed to get it working a few times, and when it was working, it actually kind of did what I wanted (note the "kind of") but otherwise: DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! IT SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK!

4.0 out of 5 stars What I expected in terms of the objective but the software is not very stable, 29 Dec. 2012
The image quality and sound quality are perfect. Setup with my Xbox 360 was very easy and I got it to working immediately but I have not got it to work with my PS3. It works fine with the HDMI cable but since the PS3 is not supported due to its HDMI enconding being protected, I had to use a component cable. Because of this I only got a blue image on my TV and PC with my PS3. The Xbox 360 on the other hand works perfect. The image is clear and video lag to the PC is very small.
You have to get this cables yourself as they are not included.
The software included is not very stable however, with constant slowdowns and crashes. The streaming options are also very confusing and I could not stream to Twitch TV properly as the lag is enormous.
Overall I'm happy that I can capture games on my 360 and upload them to Youtube with great quality but I would prefer to stream them. I would also like to get the PS3 capture to work but it is much more complicated.
As for the software I'm happy to know that Xsplit is creating drivers with Roxio in order for users to use this with Xsplit which is more stable and allows you to input your voice commentary into the videos on the go instead of post capture or only for livestreaming as Roxio's software does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy, 22 July 2013
James Burnwood "JB" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a great bit of kit. Easy to use and set up. I found the software to be very intuitive and flowed quite well. Editing the game footage was a breeze. I haven't ventured into adding my own narration yet but I will soon. If you're looking for something to record your game play this certainly does the job. I haven't had experience with other devices so I can't compare them with each other, but purely on my experience with this I found it to be a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 July 2013
reviewerforyou (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my brother, who is absolutely obsessed with his PS3 and so far he is loving it.

We use it on a PS3 and the set up is really easy, even for those like me who are not fantastic with setting things up!

The software is incredibly easy to use, and the best part really is that so far it has barely failed at all for us, and the editing is also superb.

I recommend 100%!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to set up, 13 Aug. 2013
K. Young "craftyness" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I had told my nephew that I had managed to get this product to review, the excitement was overwhelming. This nifty little box console couldn't have been any further from easy to set up. In fact after 1.5hours of trying to get it to work we just had to give up. Having a PS3 should not be a difficult thing for the roxio game capture HD Pro to work with. However there was some light at the end of the tunnel of purchasing a HDMI cable to which we didn't have. But that was also shattered because we still couldn't get it to work.

Very gutted, because I actually think it would have been a good piece of kit to give a good review on.

Sadly it just didn't happen

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor product but excellent customer service from Amazon, 6 Feb. 2014
My son had the non HD version which he was happy with but having got the Wii U he wanted the HD version. First one I received didn't pass video to PC and gave me an electric shock. Amazon very promptly delivered a replacement. However, while this one did capture video it lost synchronisation between the video and audio. I have to say Amazon were fantastic in the return process and readily refunded me. I've now ordered the Elgato - hope that works better. So poor product from Roxio but excellent customer service from Amazon

Roxio Game Capture HD Pro (PS4/PS3/Wii/Xbox 360/Xbox One)
Roxio Game Capture HD Pro (PS4/PS3/Wii/Xbox 360/Xbox One) by Roxio (Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP, Xbox 360 / One)