5.0 out of 5 stars Works on a Mac - make sure to use current drivers
Published on 18 Nov 2012 by drag_fire

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible company and product.
Okay so these are designed for ultrabooks, even says so on the site. I bought one for my MBA, it came with a driver CD which you cant use because NO ULTRABOOK EVER HAS AN OPTICAL DRIVE, which apparently is a realization which is beyond the cognitive abilities of the folks who work at Digitus. So I thought, no problem I can just use the website to download the driver, but...
Published 19 months ago by Annoyed person

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on a Mac - make sure to use current drivers, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
[Review is using OSX.8 on a Macbook Air mid-2012]. Comes well packaged, requires a driver installation (not recognised by in-built OSX drivers. Driver is provided on a mini-cd, which for most devices likely to looking for an Ethernet Adapter (MacBook Air or Ultrabook) is an issue - they won't have optical drives, and mini-cd can't be used with slot loading drives (i.e. almost all Macs). Downloaded newer driver directly from Manufacturer (The device is an ASIX AX88179, Drivers version 1.2), which installed without issues (Driver installs a Kernel Extension and reboots).

Transfer speeds good and definitely faster than USB2.0 Ethernet adapters, BUT local DNS lookups and ZeroConf/Bonjour advertising isn't detected/reported. This isn't an issue if used as a general connect to internet, but if you are buying to use for large transfers on a local network (i.e. addressed as servername.local), then these won't work and you have to manually use the device IP address. Also means that devices often don't appear in the OSX sidebar, and Time Machines using network addressed devices doesn't work.

This may be just an issue with Mountain Lion. Fix the drivers and this would be a really good adaptor. With the current drivers, would recommend using a recognised USB2.0 adaptor, which OSX can use without any problems.

UPDATED 11-Dec-2012: ASIX have release updated drivers (V1.3) which appear to fix all these issues, recognises local networks, Bonjour and Time Machine drives without issues, review changed to 5*, this adaptor outstrips speeds of USB2-connected Gigabit adapters works well on Mac/Mountain Lion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Expensive Compared to USB 2.0, But It Works..., 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
I bought this for use with an Ethernet-less Ultrabook, since no right-minded person would want to waste their life shipping large files around over WiFi.

This device does exactly what it sets out to do, on both XP and Win7 - it installs and then, well, you have a high-speed RJ45 socket. Job done. Yes, you can buy a no-name USB2-to-RJ45 for a couple of quid, but this is a far better proposition if you're moving, say, video files or Gb-sized backups.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, just need to find the drivers, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
Not much to add from the rest of the reviews. It is ironic they include a CD with the drivers when the target market are laptops that probably don't have a CD drive - or a drive that's capable of reading a mini-cd. Come on Digitas! At least include a link to download the drivers from your own website!

Erm, only problem with that is that their website only includes links for Windows drivers, even if you click on the Mac drivers page.

Ok, knocking them one star for poor execution, but other than that, good product.

FYI: you can get the Mountain Lion drivers from the chipset manufacturer here: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
I do not like putting any software on my PCs unless I have to.

I inserted the adapter in my elderly net book running up to date Win 7.1 that had just lost its internet function. No go. installed the software and tried again. It worked brilliantly. I should had that it spent maybe 30 seconds connecting itself up so don't expect instant connection. I can live with 30 secs!

I then inserted it in a brand new updated laptop with Win8.1 update installed. Brilliant. It sorted out its drivers and was up and running very quickly with no additional software needed.

I only have a maximum of 8Mb broadband download speed so can only say that it copes with that perfectly. I have not tested it PC to PC for speed.
I have just ordered 2 more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethernet USB 3.0 adapter easily installed on Windows 7 and 8, 64 bit., 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
I used this with my notebook, Windows 8, 64 bit. Windows 8 already had the updated driver and recognised the device. All I had to do was allow the installation. The CD was not needed. I tried it on my desktop, Windows 7, 64 bit. Windows 7 recognised the device and automatically searched for an updated driver ( on the Internet ) which it installed. The CD was not needed. I have not used it frequently as I use Wi-Fi for most tasks so I cannot comment on its stability. I can only say that installation on Windows 7 and 8 was plug and play and that the device functioned correctly when tested. I now have no obstacle to considering an ultrabook without an Ethernet port.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Adaptor, Link for Drivers (mac), 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
When I bought this really was not expecting much at all. For such an amazing price I could hardly believe what I was getting. This Little adaptor works wonders on my mac, and when on the go, I can plug in and I am off with a connection. Speeds are incredible, with almost no loss of original network wired speed. However, the only down point was getting hold of the driver software, as the package it comes with only includes a mini disk. Here is the link for the drivers page from the original source (I have made a tiny URL as Im not sure I am allowed to post full links)

Overall, Great adaptor, totally worth the money, high speeds, great packaging and to fix the issue for drivers for the mac, the link is above! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars A well built little gem, 21 Aug 2014
D. Joy "anprguru" (Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
With the rise in popularity of ultra books the provision of an Ethernet port is becoming a distant memory especially with the increase of WiFi enabled peripherals making manufacturers believe the port unnecessary.

But what if you have a shiny new laptop with a USB 3.0 socket but still need to connect to a network by hardwire? Well the Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adaptor fits the bill. It's a well built little gem that provides blisteringly fast connection speed allowing connection to both Microsoft & Apple devices taking advantage of the new USB standard.

At £16.50 with free P&P it's a steal. There are cheaper or more expensive ones available (which I wasted my money on) but this one I'd whole heartedly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Works - very quick and easy alternative to ethernet port, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
My laptop doesnt have an ethernet port and this works great with my office network plug and play no driver install.

Really handy, the ony problem is its easy to have other people 'borrow' it....guess I need another one now.

Nice quality feel of the design and aesthetically pleasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works right away, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
I have only tested this in Win7, but it works great there. Just plugged it in, and it installed itself. I got the same speed as my built-in ethernet gigabit port.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 28 Feb 2014
J. Whiteaway (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digitus Gigabit Ethernet USB 3.0 Adapter (Accessory)
Bought to replace a broken ethernet port on a laptop and works brilliantly. No speed loss and easy to install.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›