5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book Before You Go-Go
Published on 9 Sept. 2012 by BrightJP

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh!
This book is pretty harmless although it could have been so much better.

Published on 2 Jan. 2013 by Bluearmy

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book Before You Go-Go, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits (Kindle Edition)
I know its a bit of a cliche, but reading this book I have been taken on a fantastic trip down memory lane. There are so many objects, toys, experiences, smells and tastes (Hedgehog Crisps!!) in this book I had forgotten all about. Reading this had the memories all flooding back to me and nearly every one made me chuckle or smile. The author guided me through all the experiences in a gentle and humorous style. I hope Mr Johnson writes more in this vain. I will certainly be first in the queue! Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Machine's DO exist!, 15 May 2013
What a fantastic book this is.... from the moment I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I found myself chuckling from chapter to chapter as I was transported back to my childhood. There are many 80's books that look back on politics and the state of the economy, etc and if that's what you are looking for then this book isn't for you... but if you want a time machine to help you remember the toys you played with, the songs you listened to, the TV shows you watched or the clothes you wore, then this is what you need!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 1980s childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits, 7 Dec. 2012
A fantastic journey down memory lane .Spoke about things that I had forgotten all about a complete pleasure will read again

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh!, 2 Jan. 2013
This book is pretty harmless although it could have been so much better.

I think another reviewer has already pointed out that there are a number of mistakes (such as in the write up for Yazz and the Plastic Population's The Only Way Is Up which was released in 1988, not 1983 as stated) The author also mentions about a gazillion times over, until it gets a bit irritating, that his favourite film is Back To The Future and all he ever wanted was a hover board.

Ultimately this is a long trawl through all the things that a boy born in 1977 can remember about the 1980's and for me (born in 1970) it was all a bit obvious. I fully except the fact that the author has only listed his personal favourite movies, songs, TV shows etc - as it's his book and his right to do so - and as he was a child throughout the decade I can forgive the lack of "less-blockbuster-more-adult-orientated-films" among the list of the decades finest, but there is no mention at all of the likes of The Empire Strikes Back, Tim Burton's BatMan, Die Hard, Terminator, Airplane!, Trading Places, The Karate Kid, Gremlins etc etc. Indiana Jones only gets a cursory glance whilst we are treated to great write up's of Back to the Future, and even, erm, War Games.

Once you've waded through the lists of stuff, that chances are you'll remember anyway, the author does turn his attention to personal experiences rather than telling us that he used to chew Bazooka Joe's and ride a Raleigh Grifter. The page and a half that deal with the reality of taking a school coach trip with the guarantee of community sing-a-longs (He goes for The Wheels on the Bus. I remember Found a Peanut), someone puking, emergency wee stops and at least one kid climbing on the wrong bus was true to life and did indeed bring back many memories. There should be more of that and less of the long lists of things you can just Google if you wanted.

Oh, and no Danger Mouse, Run-Around, or cans of Quatro soft drinks? What's going on?

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember when ....., 9 Jan. 2014
C. E. Gosling "Clive" (Milton Keynes, England) - See all my reviews
I bought two copies of this book for my children, both born in the 80s, as a stocking filler. Both spent most of Christmas Day laughing and swapping anecdotes prompted by the detail in the books.

Thoroughly recommended by anyone who was born in the 1980s or have siblings born in the era.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smile - it's the 80s, 10 Mar. 2014
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you remember the 1980s then this will be a little trip down memory lane. There were some things in here I didn't remember until I read this and it jogged my memory.
Full of fun, interesting little bits of 80s trivia, this will help you remember those distant childhood 80s days.

5.0 out of 5 stars missing days, 2 Feb. 2014
malcolm j journet (blackpool lancs uk) - See all my reviews
well written vastly funny at tmes and also made cring at some discripitions of clothing. by time 80s came out i must have been mutton dressed as lamb!! rember first shellsuit purchessed in up market shop in da jerba, purple and black my mates green and whit,god thought looked great,

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days!, 27 May 2014
It's amazing what I've forgotten and this book reminds me of! An easy read to pick up anytime, ideal to spark a conversation amongst those of a similar age, or those with children who were born in the 80's. Well set out, in chapters relating to toys, fashion, television, music etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the 80s!!!, 27 Aug. 2012
Brilliant. I always feel that the 80s is my own personal guilty pleasure and surely nobody else would like to see it return as much as me. It's not going to is it. OK. But at least this book is a tangible reminder of what was so good about it all. I like to think that the 80s was the turning point in good fashion sense, proper music, the dawn of modern technology and generally when anyone of sound mind would agree that life began. This book has helped me to see that the passing years have distorted my recollection of reality but I'm choosing only to see the positive - what a fantastic journey into the decade of marvellousness. If you love the 80s, get this book. If you're deluded and think some other decade comes close, buy this book and learn how wrong you were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 5 Dec. 2012
This book is the perfect read for anyone growing upon the 1980s. It is humorous and will stir up plenty of memories from your own childhood, even ones you thought you'd forgotten!

A 1980s Childhood: From He-Man to Shell Suits