5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best shows ever
Published on 8 Jan. 2013 by Meathamper

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad but not amazing
I thought the best story was the first, intricate with multiple story lines interweaving very successfully. A small scale story with lots of characterisation. I cared about the players

Series 2 and 3 were bigger stories, veering in another direction, but everything was much thinner. and the worse for it. Analogous to the problem of the follow-up album after...
Published on 5 Jan. 2013 by gerryg

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best shows ever, 8 Jan. 2013
For three series of a show that is consistently excellent, this is incredible value for money. I watched all three series when it was broadcast on BBC4, and I loved it so much that I just had to buy it again on DVD. It's a truly delightful show, with amazing character depth (even for the characters you might only see for one or two episodes), and plots that are so well-written it's insult to lump it as a "crime show" along with the likes of, say, Lewis. Sofie Gråbøl is a very talented actress and it shows, even if you're watching the show through subtitles. Her every action and every scene is so well done it's almost like every second of every episode was meticulously planned by the writers. The show leaves you guessing and second-guessing, to the point where you've figured out the killer's identity but the show makes you doubt it (even if you were right in the first place!). Sure, my opinion may not mean much to you, but do buy this. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The End, 2 Aug. 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The three series of The Killing are exceptional. The third series gives this entire series a finality that is imposing.

The third and final series of 'Forbrydelsen' or 'The Killing', the Danish thriller involves a murder and kidnapped child. I purchased the Danish series, reading subtitles is a pleasure for me. A great sense is conveyed by tone and body language in the original version. Series three is well written and performed. Sofie Grabol who play Sarah Lund, is a perfectionist. She is on the verge of her 20th year in police work,, and a cushy chair job awaits her. She has her son on her mind. He has not forgiven her for choosing her job over him. Just as she is going to celebrate her last day, a young girl goes missing. Sarah with her years of experience has a gut feeling about this kidnapping. She turns full force into solving this mystery. Along the way she meets an old lover, and the complications of her life catch up with her.

Forbrydelsen also explores the global financial crisis. New and convincing characters in the political and financial world appear. As a kidnapper is attempting to get justice for his murdered daughter, the police are looking for the kidnapper. This final series has a dramatic finish that leaves you horrified and yet, there is an understanding of what took place. Superb acting and the dark, rainy exterior of Copenhagen leave you feeling unsettled. You will not be disappointed, maybe shocked, but, then, Forbrydelsen is that kind of series.

Highly Recommended. prisrob. 08-02-13

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can afford it - this is the best way to watch The Killing, 27 Mar. 2013
NoirAddict (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing - Series 1-3 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This isn't a review saying why you should watch The Killing series 1 -3. There are plenty of reviews on amazon providing ample evidence of just how well-written, well acted and well directed & unique this Danish series is.
So I'll take it as read that if you're reading this, you already know why the Killing is a truly great TV series.
What you may not be aware of is the fact that this series was shot using HD cameras and that this makes a major difference in sound and picture when you see this show presented on blu-ray.

Sure, there are plentiful scenes that take place in shadowy spaces or in darkness. But these are much more nuanced photographically on blu. Especially the scenes of Copenhagen at night.
More dramatically the many scenes shot by window light (or shot outside) of faces in closeup - whether Theis Birk Larsen, Sarah Lund or any of the other characters during the 3 series are quite stunning and often very 3 dimensional.
Colour is also a big winner on blu-ray (as is usually the case) and also (in reverse) the quality and depth of blacks, in the many night-time scenes.
If you have a decent sound system or even a soundbar (as I have) you'll notice the big difference in sound quality too. The makers of The Killing have clearly put a lot of work into the sound design of this show, including the music, and their efforts really shine in the blu-ray edition (and YES I have watched the show on regular DVD so I can say this in confidence!)

So is The Killing on blu-ray worth the extra cost? If you have a blu-ray player and a good TV, definitely yes. But keep checking Amazon Marketplace and you might find (as I did) that you can find it at a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Crime Series Ever!, 26 May 2015
I bought this after it was recommended to me by a friend.
Im also writing this review having watched 16 of the 20 episodes in series 1. Haven't yet reached season 2 or 3. However unless something changes massively Im sure my comments and rating will remain the same. Quite simply this is one of the best (perhaps the best) crime/drama/whodunnit programmes I have ever seen (my wife agrees too). The first 3 or 4 episodes are good but they are all about you getting to know the characters and just keeping you sufficiently hooked to keep watching. Then it takes off. God this series is good. It keeps you guessing constantly as you suspect everyone before realising it isn't them then thinking it might be again. Clues are dropped throughout and each episode ends on a cliff hanger making you watch "just one more".
I bought the danish version over the US one as based on various reviews its much better. You get used to the subtitles very quickly and it isn't long before you are so immersed in the story you don't even realise you are reading subtitles.
If you are on the fence wondering wether to buy this or not, stop thinking about it and just buy it. Its brilliant.

Edit: Just an update as we have now watched all 3 series. Suffice to say nothing has changed other than my wife and I were crying out for season 4 but I understand the shows creator has said that that is it.
Marks out of 10 - Season 1 - 10/10, Season 2 8/10 Season 3 10/10
Season 2 started a little slowly and we didn't like some of the characters as much as the ones we had grown to love in season 1 but it soon gets into its stride and as you expect not everyone is who they appear to be. Season 2 on its own is brilliant but seasons 1 and 3 surpass it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Danish Thriller Series: 11 disc boxed set., 9 April 2015
Malcolm (Edlesborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Killing or Forbrydelsen is a brilliant TV series and well worth viewing.
This review is for the Danish language version with English subtitles.
The acting is superb.

Series One:
Has 20 one hour long episodes, and involves the disappearance and murder of a
local teenager in Copenhagen.
The main lead character is DCI Sarah Lund, played by the amazing Sofie Grabol,
a very talented actress who shines all the way through this series.
A young woman is murdered and the whole 20 episodes are given to solving this
one killing, with lies and obfuscation from politicians who go out of their
way, to hide what they know about the case, whilst trying to win an election.
At times, slow and ponderous, but never dull. I found it exciting to watch
and trying to work out "who done it".

Series Two:
Finds Sarah Lund checking passports at Gedser Ferry Terminal, having made a few
mistakes with the previous case she has been side-lined. However, her boss Brix,
needs her help and she is soon involved in trying to find out who is killing
ex military personnel who had been deployed to Afghanistan.
For me this was the most exciting series of the three, with Ken Vedsegaard being
outstanding as the war damaged soldier, Jens Peter Raben, who appears to have been
wronged from the start.
Having been sent to a mental hospital for ex military, he plays a vital role in
helping Sarah find the killer.

Series Three:
Concerns the kidnapping of a child of a wealthy industrialist, who has fingers
in every political and industrial pie. Sarah Lund comes to the rescue again,
but as she is a flawed character, she makes mistakes in an all too human way,
and that is probably why so many people love this show.

The boxed set has 11 discs and over 2,320 minutes viewing time.
The subtitles come on screen automatically so no need to try to fiddle with
the remote to find them.
I give 5 stars to this BAFTA Award winning set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing for decades to come - it will never date., 17 Dec. 2012
Now that this drama series has come to its final end - after three series - this DVD (or BLU-RAY) collection is an essential addition to any discerning shelf.

The stories are taut, dark, thrilling & chilling, the acting a tour de force, and with a music score that revels in darkness. This boxset may waiver (slightly) with series 2 but it is bookended with two classic storylines. If Dickens were alive he would be applauding uncontrollably.

For me, THE KILLING is ranked alongside not only is Nordic cousin, WALLANDER, but THE WEST WING and BAND OF BROTHERS as prime examples of iconic, quality television that will endure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome series, pity about the crummy subtitles..., 1 May 2015
LawTurley (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is such an amazing series - all three seasons are spectacularly good, pitch perfect and gorgeously shot (especially season 3) - so I thought I'd treat myself and buy the box set so I could share it with my family and friends. Watching it though I grew increasingly annoyed by the bad subtitling. When Forbrydelsen was shown on BBC the subtitles were excellent, very full and managing to catch a lot of the Danish nuances of speech. In this DVD version though whole sections of speech are missed out (presumably unimportant to the plot?!) and mistakes made in the translation. In series 3 I've noticed a lot of grammatical errors, wrong prefixes used and again huge gaps in dialogue that is NECESSARY to the plot, as well as making it very hard to follow who is speaking! So in short, great series, let down by woefully inadequate subtitling! Sucky!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Killing Trilogy, 2 April 2013
Having only seen Series 1 before (and wanting to see it again) I was pleased to be able to buy the second and third series in the same box set. Series 1 was as great as I remembered it.
The characters are developed superbly with all their quirks, single-mindedness and weaknesses. The plot twists and turns and then comes back on itself in a way that makes it difficult to second-guess what will happen next. This is an accomplished crime and political thriller which will attract me back to it and no doubt lead me on to other Danish series such as Borgen which I have yet to see.
Series 2 was almost as intriguing as 1 and I loved that we continued to see the inner workings of a Danish police investigation, really learning how to understand the various factions either involved in, or touched by, the investigation and the crime. The bolshiness, perseverance and sheer bloodymindedness of the main character spread up the chain of command; decisions were made without authority from the appropriate level which was refreshing. I was disappointed that Series 2 was not as long as 1 but by the end the political machinations were beginning to wear thin.
I am skipping over the political stuff in Series 3 as I've now lost patience with it as it detracts from the main story. The main political character has a certain appeal as does the Justice Minister in 2, but is still not a patch on Troels Hartmann from 1. Troels - great name - was devastatingly handsome, was always right no matter how wrong everyone told him he was, and was a very credible character.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an amazing series to watch, 13 Jan. 2015
This was an amazing series to watch ,but can someone please tell me if series two ended with Lund flying off to Afghanistan or am I missing a disc in the three series box set I purchased
What I got was a disc showing the actors being interviewed
Please someone help me with this mystery

I can't help thinking I was left with an unfinished story on series two ??
It was a spellbinding series and I would really recommend it to anyone who wants a fast moving police thriller !!
Buy it and enjoy it ,you will be glued to it !! 👍

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive viewing., 8 Mar. 2015
I had heard of 'The Killing' although I had never seen any of it so I bought it solely on the basis of other people's reviews and I am so glad that I did. Initially I found the subtitles s little off-putting but the acting and the storyline soon had me hooked. Series one consists of 20 one hour programmes and on a very cold day, I found myself watching 5 episodes back-to-back! I am only half way through the second series so I am still trying to figure out 'who done it!' All in all, I am very glad I clicked 'add to basket'.

The Killing - Series 1-3 [Blu-ray]
The Killing - Series 1-3 [Blu-ray] by Sofie Gråbøl (Blu-ray - 2012)