5.0 out of 5 stars Love is like a voilin!
Bought a violin, but don't know how to play it. So, starting from stratch. Considered a few books and then decided on this as it is very comprehensive and assumes you know nothing (that's me) about playing the violin. I haven't finished the book yet, but I am working through it steadily now and I have grasped the basics. Can only get better. Good teaching aid.
Published on 17 Aug 2012 by Sherlock Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great
Published 7 months ago by Mike Heron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love is like a voilin!, 17 Aug 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun but...., 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Violin For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a really entertaining book with lots of useful information on playing and looking after your violin but I wouldn't use it as your sole means of learning! As a really good supliment to either a more traditional violin tutor book or as a bit of light entertainment between lessons it's really unbeatable but seriously, buy something like A Tune A Day to learn the basics at a more logical and reasonable pace!

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Violin For Dummies (Paperback)
I wanted a book that was easy to get to grip with, having browsed around, decided on the "Violin"for dummies. I have used the dummies range before (for computers), so was aware of the style of the book. For me the layout and quirky comments, I enjoyed.

One thing to be aware of though, like other reviewers on this book have noted, that the pricing and some of the music terms are american. Nothing wrong with that, what I did though was to cross out or annotate the equiverlent.

Also for this edition it came with the CD, very helpful, especially for practice feedback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Kindle editions!, 16 Jan 2014
I am a returning violinist, having played as a teenager so I'm not able to say what this is like from a total beginner's perspective but equally I didn't actually get very far with my playing back then so I was never advanced either and I never got to grips with sight reading music. The book itself is great, I've picked up a few good hints and tips and it's certainly got me back up to a workable standard quite fast and I also seem to be picking up sight reading! There have been a couple of times when I thought 'huh?' but then the things I was confused about were explained in later chapters so if you do have one of those moments, check elsewhere in the book for an explanation (e.g. sharp and flat notation appears on the music before they are actually explained). This would actually be quite a nice supplement for someone taking lessons because on lessons you don't necessarily have the time to go into all the theory (the parts of the violin and so on). I was so pleased to be able to order this as a Kindle edition - the only reason I considered knocking it down a star is because the associated media is a bit clunky to access - first you need to download, then there's a simple program that runs, then the song listings come up in numerical order... meaning song 11 is above song 2 and so on... (there may be a way to change this final setting, admittedly I haven't bothered playing around with it yet but even so) this media access system could be polished up a bit. Best of luck to any other returners or new beginners out there!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great, 10 April 2014
Mike Heron (Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violin For Dummies (Paperback)
I have several of the "For Dummies" series and generally find them ok - when they finally get down to the subject. This, like the others, spends an inordinate amount of time in what I would describe as throat clearing. This one spent a lot of time telling the reader how to take the violin out of the case. Two sentences would have sufficed. I dislike the obligatory jokey style. The odd quip is fine but after a while they start to get on your nerves. If you have patience there is sound information in this book. However, the book could easily have been halved in length without losing anything of importance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in the Kindle Edition, 2 April 2013
I wish I had ordered the book and not the Kindle edition, as non of the video links work on the Kindle, and these are quite important for a beginner to view.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 13 May 2013
J. Watkin "Jessica09" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Violin For Dummies (Paperback)
My sister got a violin for Christmas and she wanted a book to help her learn everything from scratch. She has found this book invaluable in teaching her all things she needs to know to start learning the violin. It is all explained extremely well and in simple enough terms for anyone to understand.

So if you are picking up the violin with no clue on how to play it, how to take care of it and you've never played an instrument before this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout book!, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Violin For Dummies (Paperback)
Out and out help and ease of understanding is the key in this book. Every page is fun, learnable and accurate. Using this alongside having Violin lessons with a teacher is a real aide to memory and helps enforce basic techniques and makes learning fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you so much!, 4 Feb 2014
Thank you so much this book, Violin for Dummies, 2nd Edition. This is a big help.
Good seller!
Thanks again!

5.0 out of 5 stars violin for dummies, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Violin For Dummies (Paperback)
I have bought many of these dummie books and would thoroughly recommend them they are a good source of knowledge they are easy to read and understand and this book is no exception.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›