5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and spot on interpretation!
Published on 14 Dec 2000 by sashdown57@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did they bother ????
Published 17 months ago by MacSheff

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did they bother ????, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat [Blu-ray] [1999] (Blu-ray)
So they had the chance to issue a perfect picture on Blu ray but they didnt. This is obviously a transfer from a second rate DVD , and about the only time this really looks good is in the final five minutes . At times the film looks like it was recorded behind a spotty lace curtain [ honestly thats the only way I can describe it], especially near the start when Maria Friedman is standing in front of the red school curtain.

They have not bothered to improve the colours on this film and so its looks as old as it did when first issued on DVD and so I would suggest that if you already own the DVD copy , hang on to it as this is unfortunately a complete waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and spot on interpretation!, 14 Dec 2000
At first I thought this new release with stars such as Dickie Attenborough, Joan Collins and Donny Osmond(!) would be pure American kitsch, and sat down just to watch the introduction. Over an hour later, I had sung my heart out to the tracks, laughed at the witty interpretation and was moved by the sad bits. The cast was fantastic, particularly the brothers and Donny Osmond. I was advised to watch this by a teacher friend who has shown this to a class and the pupils loved it. The setting is a school assembly and the teachers perform the musical and the children join in. Even if this doesn't appeal to you, it's worth it just to see Joan Collins dressed as a frumpy middle-aged teacher playing the piano. I would recommend this for all ages, but most of all, for children and anyone who is a Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Weber fan. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spectacular Template, 10 Aug 2002
Mr. James A. Church (Berkshire, England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Both those who know and don't know the musical Joseph will love this film. Firstly it is full of stars. I feel Donny Osmond was well-casted and obviously draws Viewers. He has a beautiful voice and stance suited for Joseph, although it is singer-actress MARIA FRIEDMAN who really does it. She accels as Narrator by making something special to her role. You couldn't get better - Maria is well known for having that special energy and facial charactor in what ever she does! Other famous faces include Joan Collins, Richard Attenborough, Robert Torti, Christopher Biggins among many others.
It is a film, far from the original stage show. The plot of the biblical Joseph is told through song (NOT opera!). It uses modern technology to lift the story to a Professional level and is filmed at a school - the same school Lloyd-Webber and Rice originally performed the show at the very beginning. The film takes you on a real journey - far from the stage - to ancient Egypt. The effects are rich and colourful. The tunes have been re-orchestrated for an larger orchestra for the film and it sounds fab! There is most things a show could offer - but more -on video for your comfort!
This video provides the perfect entertainment for the family. For those who aren't used to musicals - it is very easy to relate to without it ever, ever getting boring! It is fun, and accessible for all and every age. It is new and fresh; I believe the perfect model for musicals --on video! A fully tuneful show!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing could be better...really..., 6 July 2001
By A Customer
I first heard Joseph when I was much younger and loved it to pieces. Later I grew into Lloyd Webber's later more complex musicals, and forgot all about Joseph altogether. Until I recently found my original copy of the piano music...and decided to buy the video.
What can I say? This production is top class, and high quality. The thought and care which went into this production is extraordinary; I originally thought that it would just be a direct flat recording of the stage show, as per the Cats video, but was pleasantly surprised... There are many beautiful and surreal sets and costumes in this production with lots of clever camera work. The cast are superb, even though I am no fan of Donny Osmond! Maria What's Her Face as the Narrator is absolutely fantastic, and the choreography is perfect... Everything is heightened to be as over the top and corny as possible, and it works fantastically! The new score is very different to the original recordings, and works *extremely* well. It is now safe to say that Joseph is now once again one of my favourite Lloyd Webber musicals, and even though it may not have the beauty and majesty of Phantom of the Opera, or the darkness and grittyness of Jesus Christ Superstar, it works for what it is: Fabulous fun for people who love a bit of cheesiness in their lives...
If you were in my position and used to adore Joseph but now aren't so sure, then you'd probably be hesitating to get this tape. Really, though, I urge you to do so...you *really* will not regret it, I promise you that...

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST MUSICAL EVER, 11 July 2003
fawna (Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this in VHS format, USED, about 2 weeks ago. I had never seen anything other than a trailer. I LOVE IT! In the past week it has been viewed at Least 10 times..counting the week Prior, probably about 25 times total times viewed. So I have purchased the DVD on Ebay and I have recently found the CD Sountrack featuring Donny Osmond and Maria Friedman on Ebay.co.uk I listened to cuts on CDNOW, but no one can fill the dress of Maria Friedman Narrating/Singing her heart out. Donny Osmond is Riviting and Emotionally touching. Everyone in the Cast is just Fantastic and I really can't picture anyone else filling their glorious costumes. The Sets are "TechniColorful" and absolutly "Amazing" as well as ALL of the music and lyrics..BRAVO! We Know every word and sing along. Donny performing Close Every Door will bring tears to your eyes, Powerful. :-)
The entire movie is just wonderful!! (I've desided I have to have a Go Go Joseph Disco Floor. Hehehehe)WATCH THIS IF YOU ARE A MUSICAL FREAK...GUARENTEED YOU WILL LOVE IT! ADDICTIVE FUN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a dazzling coat of many colours, 21 Oct 2004
Dazzling and magnificent! I really love this musical starring Donny Osmond playing Joseph. I first seen this about 4 years ago when I was working in a junior school and I loved it so much that I bought it on video and, after nearly wearing the video out, bought it on DVD. I even took it to the juniors after-school club where I work, and the children hadn't even seen it before and really loved it! That was the quietest I had ever known them, except when they decided to sing along to the songs that they knew! The effects are stunning and the cast all have fantastic voices. Joan Collins is stunning as Potiphar's (tarty) wife especially when she tries to seduce Joseph which results in him getting put in jail - poor guy - and singing the beautiful ballad Close Every Door with the children. There he meets actor Christopher Biggins playing the jailed cook and then comes the 70's dancefloor scene for the musical number Go Go Joseph. Richard Attenborough plays the part of Jacob, Joseph's father, very well. Theres plenty of funny moments and emotional times throughout the musical and look out for Pharoah, the Elvis impersonator! If you haven't seen this film yet, then you must! For all fans of Musicals, Andrew Lloyd-Webber, Tim Rice and Donny Osmond!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Rendition, 8 Aug 2006
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Joseph has never really been my favourite musical, but I must admit that this version of it is excellent. The cast are good, the sets are good and the production values are good, everything about it is good.

I'm not going to write a review of the musical itself, as if you are coming to buy this then you have probably already seen it or been in a school production of it. If you haven't seen it then it is a highly entertaining musical, but it is firmly aimed at children (although their may be a few adult bits sprinkled in the lyrics if you listen to them).

It's not my favourite musical, but my 6 year old daughter is hooked (and my wife now has a thing about Donny Osmond).

There are no extras to speak of - just a standard "Making of..." documentary with clips from the cast and Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd-Webber.

I'm giving this five stars as the whole thing is excellently done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliving my youth!, 30 Mar 2006
W. Furness (UK) - See all my reviews
I rented this DVD for my daughter, quite forgetting how brilliant it actually is! I perfomed the play at junior school, and I went to see it at the London Palladium when Jason Donovan was Joseph. As soon as it began to play on my TV at home, it all came flooding back to me...I think my daughter was a bit startled to find mummy singing along and jumping up to dance :-)
I loved it, she loved it. Now let's get down and Jive with that Pharoh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I saw Jason Donovan stunningly perform 'Joseph' at the London Palladium and was sceptical about Donny Osmond's ability. I watched this video with awe...Donny Osmond's performance was brilliant and the other actors were wonderful too.
Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars BD aspect ratio problem, 17 April 2013
eastvillage (Greenleaf, Utah) - See all my reviews
This is a Blu-ray review. It looks like the picture has been stretch to 16:9 widescreen when the original ratio was slimmer, but wider than 4:3. I noticed as soon as I put it in, but can someone verify please? If it's true then i'm apalled. Fake widescreen is done by moron's who forgot the orignal purpose of widescreen.

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)