5.0 out of 5 stars A review written from a Bose user
Let's start with what was in the box.

Published 18 months ago by Master CM Rockliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I ordered these to replace a pair of Sennheisers whose pads had worn badly
and started to crack and peel.
Having read the reviews on Amazon and done other research I opted for these headphones.
Published 11 months ago by AMK

5.0 out of 5 stars A review written from a Bose user, 20 Jan 2013
Master CM Rockliffe (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
Let's start with what was in the box.

Contained the headphones, manual, a 3.5mm to 6.3mm screw on adapter, a perfect length detachable wire (not sure how long), warranty and an allen key (hex key to some). It was simple to open and easy to get to - which I like. Please note though, that they are absolutely HUGE. I wouldn't really want to wear them out in public. I have a pair of X41's, and after wearing CPO, the 41's looked as though they should have gone on my ear.

Before I go any further, if you haven't already read the title, I used to have a pair of Bose OE V1. They weren't half bad, and as I get all my Bose products VAT free, it wasn't such a bad deal. I just found they lacked in every spectrum. Bass was more rumble, lack in mids, and pretty much no highs. They were, however, exceptionally comfy, and the case that came with them was brilliant.

1. HIGHS

The highs were amazing straight out of the box. I've recently started listening to even more genres of music, including airy stuff (don't know the name of the genre, artist name is Exist Strategy). My god, it was as if there was actually new instruments and sounds in the songs. The sound can only be described as graceful. It's amazingly relaxing. I'd give them overall a 10/10

2. MIDS

As I said before, when I first got them out of the box, they were lacking big time. However after extremely large amounts of use, they're appearing. Slowly, but they are. Don't let me put you off though, they were still better than the Bose out of the box. Sometimes, however, I feel as though the bass has to compensate for the lack of bass, and you start getting boomy sub bass, which is not what I wanted. If I had wanted insane amounts of bass, I would have gone with Sony's XB series. Don't let this put you off either, because as I've already said, it is getting better by the day. Yes it may take a while, but I don't mind. I plan on having these 3-4 years. I've got time to wait. Out of the box, I'd have given them a 5/10 Now, they're at an 8/10

3. LOWS and SUB BASS

The best part of these headphones is definitely their ability to make your head rattle. Yes, that's right, the bass is monstrous. But it is really bass - it's tight, low, present and not boomy (not bass you get from terrible beats by dre which doesn't produce any bass lower than 20Hz, I can do a review on them if requested) I do still listen to Trap, dubstep, drum and bass and all of that bassy stuff and it does not fall short of expectations. Easily a 10/10. Absolutely mental.

4. AUDIO QUALITY (overall)

At first, I can honestly say that I wasn't that impressed by them. They too lacked in mids, and if you didn't turn up the bass on the headphones high enough, any song with bass would sort of sound funny. I did know that I'd have to let them burn in before hand, which could take up to 50 hours of music. I put them through my laptop at full volume to Pink Noise for around 6 hours - I got bored waiting for it haha! When I put them back on, I had already noticed a dramatic change in the quality of the music. It was as if they were new headphones altogether. From then on, the only burning in they've had is from me listening to music through them. It's been around 20 days since I got them, and they're still improving. Overall, quality is a 9/10 from me.

5. COMFORT and BUILD QUALITY

As I said before, they're huge. That doesn't make them uncomfortable though, as they certainly are. Sure, the plether ear cups can get a bit irritating sometimes, but not a problem - even leather does. Longest I've had them on for is around 6 hours at the moment (fell asleep with them on hehe) and my ears didn't feel at all painful. Build quality is brilliant, pretty much completely made out of metal. I don't feel as though they'd break. They've been shoved in my bag along with college book and a huge laptop many times now, and my laptop is the one that is breaking. HP G62 - stay away from it! Please, it's terrible. I've spent 600 pounds in total on it, paid 280 for it. HP customer support, yuck. Anyway, enough of them, back to these monsters. Where was I? Ah yes. Quality is brilliant, solid yet very comfortable. Some people have said clamping pressure is too great, I've found it fine. You just have to make sure that it's on the right click (you'll see what I mean if you get them).

My overall score for these is 9/10. Mids could have been a bit better out of the box, but I'll update once they're completely there.

Don't be expecting amazing monitor headphones - because these aren't them. Obviously they're meant to compete against beats. Do they? No. Beats aren't worthy of competition between such good headphones like these. It's like comparing German Engineering to well, american! (Beyerdynamic are in fact german).

If you're looking at other headphones that give similar performance for the same sort of price, might I recommend the V-Moda LP2, Ultrasone HFI 500 and 700 (I would have gone for them, but cable length put me off, it's something mental like 7 meters - no thanks! There is a youtube video though that shows you how to braid them. Search for "how to braid headphone cables" without the quotes.

Hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it! If you have any questions, respond here - I'll do my best to answer any questions.

UPDATE 20/12/13

It has nearly been a year after I've purchased them, which means they've had enough time to burn in. What a difference. They're absolutely awesome.

Mids are so much more prominent and colourful - something that they really lack at the beginning. For people that have given them a 3 start review or less haven't given them time to burn in, something that can require a lot of time and a time at which I wouldn't review them. You wouldn't rate an F1 car on it's ability to handle well when it's just had cold tires put on it.

When these are plugged into a more powerful amplifier (such as a Mac - note I said powerful not good) they're even better. I feel as though the cable has a higher than average resistance - other 32 Ohm headphones are powered a lot easier than these. Bass is strong and punchy - enough to really hurt your head. I must let you know though, I've had some problems with the left driver. I'm not yet sure what caused it, or whether it's the headphones themselves. When plugged into a Mac I don't get the problem, however with my home PC which uses terrible onboard audio I get a rattle. As I said before, it doesn't occur with the same song on a Mac - even with louder volumes.

The earcups are starting to annoy me a little - I constantly have spots around my ears from where I sweat with them on - but that might just be because I'm a sweaty teen! They're comfy, no doubt about it, but don't expect Sennheiser Momentum comfort.

More customising items are now available to buy, and whilst they look good, they're expensive considering the RRP of these headphones alone :(

In all, my views are still at a 9/10 - they're truly amazing headphones and have survived some hefty abusing from all of my travelling. I've sat on them, dropped them, yanked the cable out of them time and time again (might have something to do with the rattle haha!) and they're still performing at 100%.

If you listen to Electronic music, house, garage, rap, dubtep; basically anything with bass, then these are definitely the best I've come across. With a flip of the switch (literally) they even perform excellently with classical and opera.

Well done Beyer.

Update 08/03/2014

Rattling gone! However, I had to send them back, as it turns out that it was a suspected blown driver, which it turned out to be - all good now though! People rate the V-Moda M100, but they're twice as much as what you can pay for these! I bet they're no where near as twice as good as these.

Still recommended headphones if you're a total bass head like myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set of headphones but not perfect, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
I have had the Bayerdynamic Custom One Pro's for 3 months now and over that time, there has been a dramatic change in sound quality, so I am updating my review of these headphones and how I feel about them.

One of the main reasons I bought these headphones was for the build quality and that it had a detachable a 3.5mm audio jack cable, which means if something happens to the cable, then it is easy to replace. The build quality is also exceptionally and feel solid. The Custom On Pro's are designed to have interchangeable parts, such as head pad, ear pad, cover and ring, allowing the user to customise the looks of the headphones to their liking. Beyerdynamic are slowly introducing new parts for the headphones and will soon be introducing the COP's in different colours.

The advert for the Custom Pro One headphones show lots of street scenes, people riding bmx's, doing free running and break dancing, also DJing, partying etc, which sort of indicates that these headphones could be used, out and about. I went into London, listening to the headphones for most of the day. I tried them out on the train and tube, also walking around London's streets (including Oxford street). Unfortunately I can't recommend them for a portable headphone, they are too big and when I took them off and put them around my neck, it felt like I was wearing a neck brace. Because of the over ear design the pleather ear pads also get really warm hard to wear for long periods. Because of the design though are some positives, there is very little discernible sound leakage and the although they are passive noise isolating, they do isolate very well.

I also found that the headphones can become uncomfortable, under the ear around the jaw line. This seems to be due to the clamping pressure from the headphones

I was a bit disappointed with what you got in the box, just a instruction manual, 6.35mm jack adapter and a allen key to help with customisation. I would have through that including a cover free with the headphones to allow a bit of customisation, might have tempted owners to mess around with the headphones more but these things can be brought separately. Also a case would have been nice (similar to that of the V modas). In fact over the last few months I have customised them. I changed the ear pads to a velour set, which you would normally get with the DT770. These are much more comfortable and I have found that whilst warm, there isn't nearly as much heat build up as the pleather pads, that you get with COP's. I have also swapped over the cable to one of the V-Moda cables, that I got with the M-80. The sound is definitely louder and although I might be mistaken, the mids seem to be less recessed.

When I first started listening to the headphone, the sound quality wasn't what I had hoped for. The bass was ok but the mids and highs felt very recessed and a bit dead. After a few of hours though the headphones do slowly start to come to life. It takes a very long burn in before I would say that these headphones really start to sound very good, well over 100 hours and probably closer to 200. With time though the sound stage opens up dramatically the the mids finally come out, though they are still slightly recessed. After three months of listing, I would say the sound is very good, the sound isn't maybe as detailed as some other headphones but you do get a warm pleasing tone, which isn't hard to listen to.

One of the big area with the Custom One Pro's is the adjustable bass. There are four settings, allowing for more or less bass. I would guess that most people will probably use the 2 middle settings, where the most open bass setting doesn't sound great, the bass starts to sounding a little distorted and muddy. The close setting takes away quite a bit of bass but if you are a bass head you probably won't like it.

I am not really an audiophile and these definitely are not audiophile headphone but with a very long burn in, the sound you get from them is very pleasing. If you want a home headphone with quite a bit of bass, then the COP's are well worth investing in. They are much better than most fashion headphones and if you think the sound is more important and are prepared to deal with the size problems than the look I would recommend these headphone. If you just want to use these headphones at home I would give the COP's 5 stars, but if you want to travel around, then I have to knock off at least a star.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 11 Aug 2013
I ordered these to replace a pair of Sennheisers whose pads had worn badly
and started to crack and peel.
I expected exceptional performance from them but was disappointed to get a poorly balenced soundstage and a bass that was far too dominant on even the lowest setting.
I found them totally unsuited to the music I listen to - rock and acoustic.
They are also extremely uncomfortable to wear with a tight fit that pinched my earlobes.
I have sent them back to Amazon and ordered a trusty pair of Sennheisers instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xcellent instrument, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
Good word: Doing regular daily post-production jobs in video and sound I check audio mixes for resonance frequencies and overloads especially in the low and sub regions, namely in 0-80, 80-120 and 120-300 Hz. These bands are crucial for substantiating powerful and transparent audio. While I can balance higher bands with my monitors (M-Audio BX8a), these lower bands do not pass well enough through the monitors, as my mixing room is not equipped with acoustic traps. With Custom 1 I have this option to listen into 4 bands separately due to the bass switch on the headphones. The x-bass position is quite sensitive so I can clearly detect low freq overloads with these headphones. Switching through the 4 positions I obtain insights regarding the balance of my audio jobs. General music listening, well, I am into Afro-Latin, and I do enjoy how I hear it in Custom 1 pro.
Food for thought: The leather cover of the cushions in hot weather makes ears really sweat, which never happens with the fur covered cushions of my DT770. Because of this I go to DT770 sometimes even when I'd rather stay with 1pro.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
I found these Custom one Pro's to be lacking in audio quality across the entire spectrum, the bass is distorted and there are no mids whatsoever. The bass port system is a gimmick and I couldn't get a satisfactory sound quality that I liked. I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50's or the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro's over these.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, need a little burning in though, 27 May 2013
Mr. Alexander J. Hewitt (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
great set of headphones, they needed a good couple of days though to show their true colours, everyone who has had a go loves them and is surprised at how much the bass ports change the sound, great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily The Best For The Price (After Break in), 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
Okay So, I got these headphones last year after my old gaming headset (QPAD QH-85) died from a cable snap, anyway! my QH-85 would be hard to beat as they had the perfect audio ranges for what I do and listen to!

Okay now to the real review!
At first when I got these and saw the box I knew it was going to be rather high quality, but when I got them out they felt a little light, or lighter than I was expecting, especially compared to my old pair, so I took them out and test fitted them on my head, and instantly I was surprised! the passive noise cancelling on these is amazing! it kind of makes you feel a little deaf and weird until you get used to wearing them, especially if you are coming from an open ear design to closed ear like I was.

Okay so after Test fitting them on my bonce and posing like a super hero in front of the mirror for 20-30 min, I decided I should probably attach them to my PC and use them as headphones as they are infant headphones first and super hero fashion second.

After plugging them into my PC, at first I was rather meh about the sound, had amazing bass and amazing low and high ranges but the mids were just, not there, I decided "oh well they will probably open up after I wear them in" I was correct! after a few days they started to open up more and more and more, in games the sound was amazing and clear with perfect bass for explosions and all of that good death stuff, and in music they were amazingly clear with the adjustable bass actually not being a marketing gimmick.

I would like to point out one fools error I made! Do not run these on full volume on your pc, especially with them directly to a headphone amp or sound card, as they are created to run really well on bad sound hardware they easily overdrive and start to crackle and pop if you overdrive them too hard, while it is fun feeling them shake on your head to bass (and trust me it is fun) it is not very good for the headphones!, I find running them on quarter to mid volume gives the best sound quality on PC (depending on your sound card, I use the audio hardware that comes with my Maximus V Gene Motherboard).

After many many months of use these Headphones still amaze me! they haven't lost their snug fit on my head, haven't lost (only gained) Audio Quality, and are as perfect as ever with the noise cancelling to ignore my family!

There are however a few cons, but they are far outweighed by the pros of this pair of headphones wielded by a wannabe superhero.

Anyway! the cons are as follows.
The leather ear cups are rather sweaty at times, It should not be a problem however! I wear them almost all day every day and I find myself just pulling them down around my neck when it gets to warm, and you don't notice it when you are using them in games or music or movies because you are focussing so much on what you are doing. and that really is the only con to these headphones. the only time they really get sweaty is on a hot day anyway! they are lovely and warm on those winter days and therefore perfect for my bonce.

I hope you enjoyed my review! and if you have any questions please feel free to answer, I will attempt to answer you when I am not busy fighting crime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Custom One Pro - Outstanding !, 31 Aug 2013
scape0goat (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
Bought these as I've had three pairs of Beyerdynamic DT770's in the past and they've all performed well. So splashed out a bit extra for a better pair. WOW!! That extra few quid went a long way. The sound quality is amazing. I thought my DT770's were good..... these Custom One Pro's are in a different league. The delivery of sound is is clean with great separation, every instrument is clear, I'm hearing stuff on some tracks I've never heard before with my old headphones. For 150 I really don't think it could get much better. Also, the adjustable bass control ( which I thought was a bit of a gimmick and might not be of much use ) works really well. I find the middle setting is the best. On full bass setting it might shake your fillings out! Although even on full bass, the sound isn't distorted. Trebles and mid range are well reproduced and balanced well. Overall I am very, very impressed with these headphones, They sit very comfortably in the head, not too tight, and the pads are nice and soft. I've got some Beyerdynamic velour pads too. Thought the imitation leather pads that come fitted would be uncomfortable, but they're actually ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an Audio technica M50 user, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
First off id like to say that I have been using the audio technica ATH-50 headphones for the past 2 years but I honestly found those headphones to be a bit overhyped, Their is no denying that they are a fantastic pair of headphones but personally I always found the sound to be lacking something and certainly weren't good for ALL types of music but were for the most part. The biggest problem I had with them is that I found it really fussy to have to use a DAC amp and various EQ settings when I wanted the bass to have a bit more boom & punch. so thats when I went looking for something else and came across these.

I will start by saying that if you are looking for a slightly more bass heavy headphone with the same great sound as the ATH-M50 then this is certainly it, I am absolutely over the moon with these headphones and love everything about them. it it literally exactly what I was looking for, I would even still recommend these headphones over the m50's for people who dont need that extra bass due to the fact that the bass-port feature allows you to close the bass ports and give a much more neutral sound which to me sounds almost exactly the same as the audio technica's

I also love how you can customise the headphone to your liking and you are also able to replace every part of it so you dont have to go out and buy a whole new set if something breaks.

10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars not quite 5 stars, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones (Electronics)
Excellent set of cans, worked well strait out of the box. Only gripe really that knocks one star off is that the converter plug to 1/4 inch can only be used with the headphone lead supplied, had to get another so I could use a extension lead to my amp.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphones