5.0 out of 5 stars This book is soooooo GREAT
Published 21 months ago by Zhaowang

2.0 out of 5 stars What's stopping me liking this book?
I normally enjoy a good self-help book so feel a bit embarrassed to write that I didn't really enjoy this book. The premise is that there is a certain group of people who fear failure, leading them to avoid confronting their career desires and developing to their full potential.

Though I can certainly see the logic of this, for me, the book had two main...
Published 22 months ago by emma who reads a lot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars What's stopping me liking this book?, 3 Jan 2013
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Though I can certainly see the logic of this, for me, the book had two main problems. One is that personally I didn't warm to Robert Kelsey and his own story (though lots of other reviewers did, I notice with relief). Kelsey writes a lot about his struggles to deal with his career in finance and then writing and publishing a novel and I found it a bit hard to really feel for him as a 'under-achiever' when clearly he has achieved a lot (he now runs his own PR company).

Secondly, and for me more serious a criticism: I felt that much of the text was made up of sections from other self-help books. Kelsey is totally open about this - he quotes from writers he finds inspirational, studies and statistics too, but I just felt that it ended up feeling a bit like a compilation or review of other books without much to amaze, enlighten or interest me.

The irony is that in all the case studies he gives absolutely grounded, intelligent advice to the people he deals with and I imagine that in real life I would find him convincing and charming. But I just didn't really like the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is soooooo GREAT, 8 Jan 2013
Zhaowang "zhao" (SWE) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic, currently I got very strange feeling,I feel quite bad about what happened around me, got annoyed all the time. This book describes exactly what I thought and also gives me hints to find my way out. I love the way this book talks. I will buy one more this book in later days for my friend I think. and I do hope that this book can help the people out who has the same feeling as I have! (sorry about my English)/Zhao W

5.0 out of 5 stars He read all those self-help books, so you don't have to, 19 Oct 2012
Paul Robinson (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When you pick this book up for the first time, go to the back and look at the bibliography. There are well over 100 books listed there. Luke Johnson read all of them - many of them books you'll have heard of, if not already read - and distilled from them the key message and put them into an overall framework for people who have a fear of failure.

Read this book, and you're saving yourself the time of reading 100 other self-help books. But what about that "fear of failure" twist? Is it applicable to you?

If you're a doctor, a solicitor, a chartered accountant or any other career that is well-paid and takes a substantial amount of professional qualification to practice, you probably don't have a fear of failure. If you're an entrepreneur, an artist, a shop worker with dreams, somebody who just feels unfulfilled but there's always an excuse for why you don't take action, you probably suffer from fear of failure.

I have consistently over-achieved in my career to date, and so I was sceptical as to whether this would apply to me, until Johnson pointed to a study of people throwing hoops over a stick: those with fear of failure either stand so close it becomes trivial to make the shot (what I always thought fear of failure types did), or so far away that they could use the excuse it was "impossible anyway" - bingo, that's me. Doing the absurd, because who can blame me when it doesn't work out? That's the exact attitude I've taken to my career. And the "standing too close" is what I've done in other parts of my life. Suddenly I realise why I've gone down the paths I have, and why I've sometimes felt I've lacked the focus to follow through and really work towards my strengths. That insight alone makes this book worth the read.

Suddenly finding myself engaged by these thoughts, I read the rest of the book in a few sittings. Some of the ideas I'm familiar with (because I'd read some of the books Johnson draws on), but many of the ideas were new to me. I've struggled a little to apply it because I've stumbled over the creation of my "personal constitution", but that's not the fault of this book: it's the fact I've never thought about the question in detail before! Lots of ideas from the book I'm already putting into action and suddenly finding myself feeling a little more focused and I'm moving forward.

I felt as though towards the end the direction wandered a little, but the appendix that sets out a clear action plan brings it back together again. As such, I can't really fault it. Johnson deserves the 5 stars for the reading he's done on our behalf and condensed alone, but the framework he's put it in has also helped me re-analyse key parts of my life. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing for people with a high fear of failure, 13 Sep 2012
Lisa Maynard "Mrs Kasani" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm so glad I read this book. I didn't realise that I had such a high fear of failure until I found myself being described so accurately! What I found most helpful was that the author said that we will never rid ourselves completely of our destructive ways, but we can learn to move on from them. That's so different from all the other self help books which, as he says, promises a quick-fix. I know I'm pessimistic by nature and quite cynical, but this book has shown me lots of ways to get round that and start to work in my own best interests. Also, the other piece of advice that really helped me was to start to feel pride in my own successes, rather than waiting on praise coming down from others (the thing that makes me struggle most in jobs is seeking recognition and glory all the time and never being satisfied.) So now I'm learning to make the most of where I am and how to move on from there too. I highly recommend this book and will read it again and again to let more stuff sink in!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fulfilment for the fearful, 29 Aug 2012
R. Tait (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The focus of the book is fear of failure, and as someone who fits the profile, this is an engaging and useful read.

The author seems to have had a very tough time in his early career, and shares many of his experiences by way of anecdote. I did find this, at times, an occasionally grueling ordeal to read through.

It's all for a purpose though, and there are a few real nuggets of quality advice in here for me, and for any self-help book, that's worth the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Recycled, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: What's Stopping You: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential and How You Can (Kindle Edition)
Strip out the phrases 'According to Covey' and 'According to Brian Tracey' and you're not left with much. This doesn't come across as much more than an amalganation of the most prominent self help books and offer little in the way of original material. I read the first chapter and then adopted a skim reading strategy to polish it off in no more than an hour. The stars are for the last 20 pages or so on entreprenurship which was worth the read. Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a book, 31 Jan 2013
I purchased this book from a recommendation on Amazon, and how pleased I am that I did.

This book spells it out in simple terms what you need to do to get where you want to be. I am finding it invaluable, added with coaching from work - i'll be unstoppable soon!

It helps you find your fears, find work arounds, and set your goals to get where you want to be. Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, genuine, honest, helpful book, 12 April 2014
Great book, having come to a cross roads in my career and wanting to find work I love I was looking for some help. This book was a great motivator to help make some decisions and focus on next steps. It deconstructs lots of other self help books and comes from an angle of reality. It allows you to feel hopeful and optimistic about new projects without telling you to dream about being a billionaire within the next few months like some other books in this sector. It has good values, its brutally honest about the author, and for those people who have high ambitions which are sabotaged by low self esteem and negative self talk this book provides techniques and ways of working through this with a strategy, plan and tactics. I will certainly be using it to plan ahead and pick up as a reference guide. Thanks Robert and well done on a fantastic book!

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Stopping You?, 17 Feb 2014
This is a non-fiction "self-help" book. To some people, that term sounds bad. To some people, self-help books are something only sad failures read. But that's ridiculously far from the truth. A lot of these books, as long as not taken a hundred percent literally, or used as set-in-stone rules to live by, can offer up lots of interesting tricks, tips, insight, wisdom, etc., that can be applied to your everyday life. If you like psychology, they're usually linked, in some way or another, to psychology and the way our mind works.

Don't read them for a quick fix--but read them to learn a little something: to pack your brain with more useful/useless information.

This particular book concerns those with high fears of failure; the people who have the talent but not the drive; the people who get in their own way, constantly, because of fear--maybe they realise it, and maybe they don't--and it's all written from the point of view of a self-proclaimed HIGH FF (which is the writer's term for people with a high fear of failure). I think, to an extent, I share some of the characteristics of a HIGH FF. I figured I was just lazy, but maybe the reason I don't read or write enough is because I fear the failure of never having something published. Then again, I could just be lazy.

Anyway, it has some decent tips in--some time management stuff and envisioning goals, etc.--and a lot of obvious stuff, too.

It's nothing special--not if you've read many of these types of books before. They all follow pretty much the same formula, even the ones that claim to be different (like this one does). But it's worth reading, or at least skimming through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important and spot on, 13 Jan 2014
Before reading this book I had difficulties wording my anxiety & fear and finding a way to move towards my goals. Robert writes in such a straightforward & illustrative way, making the book highly relatable & motivating.
What I like most is that he doesn't offer a cure for being a High-FF, but instead makes it okay to be one and gives tools to achieve your goals and live your life in spite of your fears.
This will definitely be a book I will go back to again and again to help me keep moving forward.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›