5.0 out of 5 stars A Review of a Novel about Time Travel Machines, 14 Aug. 2012
This review is from: B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film (Kindle Edition)
If you were to ask me 30 years ago if I wanted to carry around a copy of one of my favourite blogs in recent years, to read any time I liked on my slightly-too-bulky-to-be-realistically-classed-as-convenient Android tablet, I would have looked at you with utter bemusement. I was only one year old at the time. Nevertheless, I think I would have grown up knowing that I had Ryan North's amazing review-of-the-novel-of-the-movie still to come in my future, and that would have been pretty sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm pretty sure i laughed out loud at this book (novel ..., 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film (Kindle Edition)
I'm pretty sure i laughed out loud at this book (novel length review?) more than i have at any book ever. people told me to Jesus Christ, Just Shut Up Already Lauren, multiple times, which, as im sure you will agree, is the most desired consequence of reading material.
also ryan north: i want one pls

5.0 out of 5 stars All critical essays should be like this., 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film (Kindle Edition)
Part review, part history, part BTTF love story, this review of the novelization of Back To The Future is equally hilarious and introspective. Beyond the comedy exterior, it is a surprisingly frank look at WHY we still love 80s culture so much.

The book is written in a very unique style - pioneered by T-Rex in Dinosaur Comics ([...]), Ryan North uses a combination of obscure slang, grammatical rules and CAPS LOCK to create a fluid and organic style. It takes some getting used to, but persevere and you will soon be grinning along.

I cannot really recommend this e-book enough, both for yourself or as a quirky gift for friends.

In memory of George Gipe, stung to death by bees the year after he wrote this final book. (Yes really.)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best e-books of blogs reviewing books of early scripts of films I've ever read!, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film (Kindle Edition)
I'm pretty sure that there isn't a possible permutation of all of the words in this book that could be funnier. I was straight-up LingOL (LOLing?)(just LOL?) on trains, in canteens, on the street, etc. People were giving me funny looks. I didn't care.

I've just realised that I'm supposed to be "detailed and specific". Some of the words/word strings that made me LOL the most (in no particular order) were:

* dollor
* That was indeed the case but Marty didn't say so.
* Or maybe they'll talk about the 50s for no reason!
* a new piece of money
* lean forward to gain even more speed
* the trend of inflation-adjusted strawberry prices was nearly flat at the retail level
* SSP:BTTF:ARZF:TNBGGBOASBRZABG
* HAH HAH HAH WHAT
* "tiny but powerful"
* the main character actually gets bored and starts killing time by HIMSELF WATCHING A MOVIE
* They were in a car accident about ten years.
* contemporary
* not where are they, but where the hell are they?

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of you guys might not be ready for this yet..., 14 Aug. 2012
Vixxster (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film (Kindle Edition)
...Oh who am I kidding? If you're a BTTF nut, (and I mean nut) you're MORE than ready, and you're going to LOVE it!

I haven't bought this on Kindle, I read it online - but it's eloquently written, wittily observed and just downright hilarious. From the not-so-subtle digs at the original BTTF script's more 'cringey' aspects (oedipal complexes turning just a little bit rapey) to the ultimate paradox (is the Marty who returns the same Marty as he just watched leave?) through the eyes of Book Marty and Crappy Doc, you actually see how Gale and Zemekis managed to write themselves in and out of so many would-be paradoxical corners.

If you're one of those who wondered why in the WORLD Disney would reject a wonderful wholesome movie like this - this book has the answers! It was fascinating to read what was obviously in some sort of original draft of the script and then read how North manages to jokily unravel the gaping plot hole and fill it with deft amusement.

I understand that reading it on Tumblr you get the gif images, YouTube links and other incidental trivia - for me this made the read extra enjoyable, but I don't doubt that you'll be too hindered with the Kindle interpretation.

I found this blog online today at around 10am. I finished it about an hour ago, approximately 4 hours after North posted his final entry, 8 months after he started.

Kudos North, thanks for a great day in "The Future". (un-needed inverted commas in loving memory of Mr Gipe)