Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£8.39

on 10 January 2013
About the Author:

Filip is a Software Engineer working with various techniques such as C#, WPF, WCF, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET and much more. Currently working at Star Republic in Sweden as a Software Engineer working with both newer and older technologies in a Windows environment, mainly focusing on ASP.NET MVC development.

During his years of Programming, Filip has managed to accomplish some of the following:
* Software Engineering Degree @ Blekinge Institute of Technology
* Managing the Software Development Company SmartIT eSolutions Sweden which focused mainly on developing software and web solutions.
* Working as an Amanuensis ( Teacher ) @ Blekinge Institute of Technology teaching Java, C++, Sql and Network-programming.

I saw a tweet from @daniellangnet who said this book was fantastic and if your looking for something to read over the holidays then give this a go, I actually ordered the book without even reading anything about it, unusual but glad i did!

Chapter 1: Introduction to Parallel Extensions :- Learn the basics of paralleization, use basic Linq, and how to optimize code by introducing parallelization.

Chapter 2: Productivity and Quality with Unit Testing :- Understand why tests are import, create a test project and improve code quality.

Chapter 3: Is upgrading your code a productive step? :- How to find bugs faster, How to use Resharper to get a more manageable project and to get things done faster.

Chapter 4: Creating a challenge out of the trivial tasks :- Challenge yourself to create understandable and higher quality software.

Chapter 5: Asynchronous programming with async and await :- Identify where yo might need asynchronous processing, refactor a synchronous app into becoming more responsive.

Chapter 6: Dynamic program :- Create and extend a dynamic object by using the ExpandObject, also understand why introducing dynamic objects might cause problems long-term.

Chapter 7: Increase readability with anonymous types and methods :identify where you might have single purpose methods that you can replace with anonymous methods for increased readability and lucidity.

Chapter 8: Exploring Reflection :- User reflection to get information about types at runtime and understand more about properties and methods.

Chapter 9: Creating things at runtime :- Create your own method at runtime using Reflection, be able to read IL and understand portions of it.

Chapter 10: Introducing Roslyn :- Create a basic code analysis that suggest issues in your code, run code snippets on entire code files.

Chapter 11: Adapting to Inversion of Control :- Understand the basics of Inversion of Control, introduce a Dependency Injector into your application.

Chapter 12: Are you Mocking me? :- Create a mock of any interface and write tests that introduce

This book as you can see has something for everyone, i have thoroughly enjoyed reading it from cover to cover and will be reading a good few of the chapters again, it's a very handy reference book and covers a number of topics that as a developer can help you explore, improve and be inspired - just as it says on the front cover.
on 12 August 2012
As a overall impression of the book, I found it really good, and recommendable to anyone who wish to dive into the more advanced topics of C# 4 and C# 5. While a lot of experienced developers might know various chapters in the book, there's a good chance that there's other chapters you won't know about, and will benefit greatly from reading.

Personally the chapters about IL (Intermediate Language) and Roslyn were the most interesting for me, as they covered areas I've never worked with before.

The short and concise style of the book, and the written style with examples (and results from the examples), makes the book a brilliant read.
on 6 September 2012
I purchased this book immediately after seeing the PDF preview version. After reading the table of contents I was really looking forward to what it had to offer.

Regardless of your experience level I think everyone will learn something from this book. However it will probably benefit mid to senior level developers more because they will probably be able to understand and adopt more of the topics covered in this book!

It's a very good set of short and very easy to understand chapters that cover very different subjects with some great and very easy to understand analogies to explain the examples given. I personally found the parallel extensions and although I've done anonymous functions and dynamics before, it was nice (and quick) to read through the short examples just to solidify what I knew already and it always nice to see some code.

The definition of Smörgåsbord is a type of Scandinavian meal served buffet-style with multiple dishes of various foods on a table, originating in Sweden. Which is the perfect title for this book and just how I would describe it. Lots of short chapters with snippets of either examples of coding and\or plenty of discussion about IoC and code rewriting & re-factoring. On the whole I found it a very worth while read and I would be very surprised if it doesn't have something to offer everyone.
on 7 March 2013
I am really glad I read this book as I was unsure at first what to expect. The author explained topics really well and the examples were very good, and I could relate them to real life scenarios. Due to the various topics discussed by the author there is a chance you will know a few of them already (however always good to re-read things you think you know), as well as introducing me to a few that I did not know. Of the many programming books I have read in the past year, this is one of my favourite ones.
on 27 April 2013
I really like this book - Every chapter has a great deal of hands on examples and code.
I recently started my first job as a professional developer, and this book really contains some great info on writing maintainable code. I like the hands-on examples. I feel that many books contain a lot of fill-text and theory, and i was pleasantly surprised about the many code samples in this book.
on 14 August 2015
Don't expect any deep dive topics here, however this book is perfect for the bits of C# you haven't used yet and wanted a 'Getting Started' guide on how a feature works, or just a quick reference.

The explanations are clear and to the point and many topics are covered.